What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

HBO - Song of Ice&Fire Series -Varsity Thread - no TV only whiners (5 Viewers)

Can somebody explain Maester Aamon to me?
His name is Aemon Targaryen. He's been with the Night's Watch for so long that Robert didn't even think about him being a Targaryen. He had 3 brothers all who had sons and his father was worried about having too many heirs, so he sent him off to train as a Maester. I believe his father offered him the Grand Maester title and he turned it down as he didn't feel worthy. Also, both his older brothers were killed and he was offered the crown, yet turned that down too, since he had given up his right to rule by becoming a Maester. That's also the reason he went to the night's watch as he was worried someone would try and use him in a plot to overthrow his brother. He's one of the few truly humble men in Westeros and possibly one of the wisest.
I was confused because his name isn't in the family history in the back of the book and he skipped a Targaryan king in his story. So he's the mad king's brother?? And Dany's uncle?
Mad King's uncle (on the TV show; great uncle in the book) - his brother was the Mad King's father. In the books, he's over 100 years old. They've chosen to make him a generation younger on the show, which really doesn't change much as far as the story goes.

Can someone explain whats going on geographically between Robb, Tywin, and Jaime? I've looked at the map on HBO.com, and can't figure it out.

Robb was going south obviously from Winterfell, and Tywin is coming north from Kings Landing? Was Jaime going to the Riverlands and House Tully?

Why did Robb have to cross the river at the Twins...it looks like that is going due West. Was that the route to Riverlands?

If so, Tywin thought Robb was coming straight south directly at Kings Landing?

I started this thread because I read the books. I think people are making great use of the spoiler.tags in here. I think people are simply upset that the story played out like it did. Spoilers aside I think the book readers have helped the non readers in here by filling in some gaps.

I started this thread because I read the books. I think people are making great use of the spoiler.tags in here. I think people are simply upset that the story played out like it did. Spoilers aside I think the book readers have helped the non readers in here by filling in some gaps.
:goodposting: it was my own lack of will power that made me click a spoiler or 2. The book readers are a great help in here.

Well, if that's the way everyone feels, no big deal. I agree that the book guys have been a big help with filling in back story, but I could do without the stuff like "if you think THAT was bad, wait until you see what happens to character x in book 2"

I don't think I have the will power to scroll through a thread that is so full of spoilers and not click on any (especially since the season is over next week)

Enjoy

Can someone explain whats going on geographically between Robb, Tywin, and Jaime? I've looked at the map on HBO.com, and can't figure it out.Robb was going south obviously from Winterfell, and Tywin is coming north from Kings Landing? Was Jaime going to the Riverlands and House Tully?Why did Robb have to cross the river at the Twins...it looks like that is going due West. Was that the route to Riverlands?If so, Tywin thought Robb was coming straight south directly at Kings Landing?
There's only a couple of places an army can cross the Trident river. Tywin's sitting at one of them. They other is the Twins (where Cat negotiated Robb's crossing). Since Robb's plan included lifting Jaime's seige of Riverrun to the west, he had to cross at the Twins or go through Tywin. So he split his forces, sending a token force of 2,000 against Tywin - just enough (in show-logic; it was done a little differently in the book) that - combined with the released spy from last week's estimate of 20,000 men - Tywin would think Robb was coming with his whole army. Meanwhile Robb's going after Jaime, who's a very good single-combat fighter but isn't his dad when it comes to leading an army. It remains to be seen if the show is going to combine the battle Robb fought last night with the battle he fights at Riverrun to lift the seige (two different battles in the book), but if Robb clears Jaime's army away from Riverrun gives him a very important base in the Riverlands. It also puts him between Tywin and Tywin's home.So, yes - Tywin's to the east, Jaime's to the west of him, and Robb's coming from the north then turns west with the bulk of his army.

Well, if that's the way everyone feels, no big deal. I agree that the book guys have been a big help with filling in back story, but I could do without the stuff like "if you think THAT was bad, wait until you see what happens to character x in book 2"I don't think I have the will power to scroll through a thread that is so full of spoilers and not click on any (especially since the season is over next week)Enjoy
I understand where you're coming from. When Dance With Dragons comes out next month, I'm staying far far away from all of the Martin boards until I'm finished reading it.

At this rate of killing/death, by the end of season 2 it will just be Joffrey, Arya and the Imp battling for the throneBTW, thx for the warning on the YouTube comment spoilers. That would've sucked. I've actually managed to stay disciplined and not read the spoilers in here
:confused: Without throwing out real spoilers here: Recall Ned sent a message to Stannis Baratheon, and also that Renly left Kings landing (taking a small force and the Knight of Flowers). There are also several major houses that have barely appeared, or not appeared at all in the story. Recall the scenes involving Robb's squire, the young Greyjoy.$@%#^& like last night shows that Martin WILL kill off a "hero" if it suits his plotline, and there are literally dozens of characters yet to be introduced. ONe of the reasons his books are so succesful is because of the fact that heros can die, and the line differentiating the heros and the villians is sometimes very blurry. Just sit back and enjoy the ride knowing more surprises and twists will come.

Well, if that's the way everyone feels, no big deal. I agree that the book guys have been a big help with filling in back story, but I could do without the stuff like "if you think THAT was bad, wait until you see what happens to character x in book 2"I don't think I have the will power to scroll through a thread that is so full of spoilers and not click on any (especially since the season is over next week)Enjoy
Can you point out a specific post?

$@%#^& like last night shows that Martin WILL kill off a "hero" if it suits his plotline, and there are literally dozens of characters yet to be introduced. ONe of the reasons his books are so succesful is because of the fact that heros can die, and the line differentiating the heros and the villians is sometimes very blurry. Just sit back and enjoy the ride knowing more surprises and twists will come.
I was just thinking last night that it was refreshing and enjoyable to have writing that is not afraid to kill off a lead hero. I certainly can see why this guy is such a popular author.

You know it's good when they can kill off 2 of my 3 favorite characters (Robert, Ned, Tyrion) and I still love the show and so far the book as well. Snow is a little whiny still forzme but I see liking him more. Robb has already jumped in my rankings.

How is Drogo so sick from that wound?!

You know it's good when they can kill off 2 of my 3 favorite characters (Robert, Ned, Tyrion) and I still love the show and so far the book as well. Snow is a little whiny still forzme but I see liking him more. Robb has already jumped in my rankings. How is Drogo so sick from that wound?!
Infections are a #####.

Can someone explain whats going on geographically between Robb, Tywin, and Jaime? I've looked at the map on HBO.com, and can't figure it out.

Robb was going south obviously from Winterfell, and Tywin is coming north from Kings Landing? Was Jaime going to the Riverlands and House Tully?

Why did Robb have to cross the river at the Twins...it looks like that is going due West. Was that the route to Riverlands?

If so, Tywin thought Robb was coming straight south directly at Kings Landing?
There's only a couple of places an army can cross the Trident river. Tywin's sitting at one of them. They other is the Twins (where Cat negotiated Robb's crossing). Since Robb's plan included lifting Jaime's seige of Riverrun to the west, he had to cross at the Twins or go through Tywin. So he split his forces, sending a token force of 2,000 against Tywin - just enough (in show-logic; it was done a little differently in the book) that - combined with the released spy from last week's estimate of 20,000 men - Tywin would think Robb was coming with his whole army. Meanwhile Robb's going after Jaime, who's a very good single-combat fighter but isn't his dad when it comes to leading an army. It remains to be seen if the show is going to combine the battle Robb fought last night with the battle he fights at Riverrun to lift the seige (two different battles in the book), but if Robb clears Jaime's army away from Riverrun gives him a very important base in the Riverlands. It also puts him between Tywin and Tywin's home.

So, yes - Tywin's to the east, Jaime's to the west of him, and Robb's coming from the north then turns west with the bulk of his army.
Hadn't thought about that. So Tywin orginally came from Casterly and went east towards Kings Landing to cut off Robb....while Robb cuts back west.

Also, would non-book readers even know that Arya has a direwolf? Where is Nymeria?
She shooed her away after it attacked Joffrey. :shrug:
That's correct. Nymeria is temporarily absent.There are only 3 or 4 significant spots the wolves make an impact in the first book...and the show has included them.
:confused: No. Attack on Bran by the Wildings? Whispering Wood? Another big one next week with Ghost, we will see.

There should be no such thing as spoilers here because you all should have already read the books. So far I'm impressed with the HBO series, they've done a pretty nice job with the story. I know Martin being on the set had a lot to do with that
And the most pompous and pretentious post of the week goes to...

I am a bit disappointed they didn't even try to re-create the two battle scenes in this episode. There are several great battles in the next book, so I hope that changes.
I'm thinking it's a budget consideration. They probably can't afford lots of staged battles. Plus there seems to be so much to cover plot wise, they really can't devote significant portions of episodes to Braveheart style battle segments.

HBO is doing a great job, but I am a bit disappointed they didn't even try to re-create the two battle scenes in this episode. There are several great battles in the next book, so I hope that changes. Also, would non-book readers even know that Arya has a direwolf? Where is Nymeria? The wolves in general have gotten short shrift imo.
It is a little disappointing but the budget for this thing has to already be huge. If cutting a few battle scenes keeps it from going the way of Deadwood (canceled for budgetary reasons even though it was still pretty popular) I can live with that.

BTW, Dinklage and Bean hit this ball out of the park this season.
Bean's been great. Really looking forward to how he'll play zombie Ned when he comes back as a whitewalker.I've found Dinklage hit and miss. That accent he's trying comes and goes ala Costner, and sometimes I have no idea what kind of accent he's trying to pull off anyway.

Groovus, is that a spolier!?!? or are you just ####### around? WTF man?
I haven't read the books, I'm just joking around. :unsure: I hope that's not an actual plot development in the story because that would be pretty stupid. Someone PM me if that's the case and I'll delete that part of my post.

damn this show! DAMN IT!!!

I hope the series lasts long enough for me to see Joffrey die a horrible death. preferably one where he's locked in a cage with a horny rhinoceros.

After last night's show, my wife finally broke down and asked me where the first book in the series was. This will be her first foray into fantasy :hifive:

I thought the two things they should have provided a little more explanation on last night were Master Aemon's revelation and Robb's strategy and the events that led to Jaime's capture. I understand that it was a packed episode but I have to believe that a lot of non-book readers were :confused: after those scenes.

I remember that when I read the Ned execution scene, I kept waiting for something to happen right up until the sword fell.

After last night's show, my wife finally broke down and asked me where the first book in the series was. This will be her first foray into fantasy :hifive:I thought the two things they should have provided a little more explanation on last night were Master Aemon's revelation and Robb's strategy and the events that led to Jaime's capture. I understand that it was a packed episode but I have to believe that a lot of non-book readers were :confused: after those scenes.I remember that when I read the Ned execution scene, I kept waiting for something to happen right up until the sword fell.
Looks like I will be reading all night tonight!

All the "just wait to see what happens next" softens the impact. If I were in your shoes I'd stay away from this thread and start a season 2 topic with tv followers only.

My wife just sent me this email regarding the second book:

You own it right? What's it called? I just want to make sure it's here when I need it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, if that's the way everyone feels, no big deal. I agree that the book guys have been a big help with filling in back story, but I could do without the stuff like "if you think THAT was bad, wait until you see what happens to character x in book 2"I don't think I have the will power to scroll through a thread that is so full of spoilers and not click on any (especially since the season is over next week)

Enjoy
Agree with the bolded, that's annoying. It's like when I have a soccer game recorded and someone knows it, and they come up to me and say something like "It was a great game, amazing ending" or some crap like that. I know you're not technically giving anything away and just trying to make conversation, but still. Just leave it alone. I'm in the middle of the second book right now, and although that post doesn't say what will happen, I would prefer that I hadn't seen it.

I remember that when I read the Ned execution scene, I kept waiting for something to happen right up until the sword fell.
MY wife still doesn't think he's dead. "They can't... something happened and he'll be okay next episode."
The book leaves it more open than the TV show. That chapter is from Arya's point of view and she doesn't actually see sword go through neck, just hears it. On my initial read, I was thinking "well she didn't SEE him die so maybe he got away".

After last night's show, my wife finally broke down and asked me where the first book in the series was. This will be her first foray into fantasy :hifive:I thought the two things they should have provided a little more explanation on last night were Master Aemon's revelation and Robb's strategy and the events that led to Jaime's capture. I understand that it was a packed episode but I have to believe that a lot of non-book readers were :confused: after those scenes.I remember that when I read the Ned execution scene, I kept waiting for something to happen right up until the sword fell.
My GF went to the library today to try to check it out...she's never read fantasy either. (My copy is buried in the garage somewhere...no idea which box.) I laughed at her...asked if she honestly thought she was the only one suddenly interested in reading it.....lol

That chapter is from Arya's point of view and she doesn't actually see sword go through neck, just hears it.
Regarding that scene, is there any confusion on who that was with Arya in the scene? It happened pretty quickly and I don't consider it a spoiler. Basically if the increasing number of characters has you confused and you didn't catch who it was speak up.

That chapter is from Arya's point of view and she doesn't actually see sword go through neck, just hears it.
Regarding that scene, is there any confusion on who that was with Arya in the scene? It happened pretty quickly and I don't consider it a spoiler. Basically if the increasing number of characters has you confused and you didn't catch who it was speak up.
At first I wasn't sure, but it was the recruiter for the wall, right? I forget his name. I assume the looks Ned gave was implying "you said you were my brother, now act like it for my daughter".

At first I wasn't sure, but it was the recruiter for the wall, right? I forget his name. I assume the looks Ned gave was implying "you said you were my brother, now act like it for my daughter".
That's who i thought he was. The guy who brought news of what Lady Stark had done, also?He mistakes Arya as Ned's son when he first walks in. :lmao:

Last edited by a moderator:
That's who i thought he was. The guy who brought news of what Lady Stark had done, also?He mistakes Arya as Ned's son when he first walks in. :lmao:
yep

Users who are viewing this thread