What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***New York*** (4 Viewers)

Pastrami at Katz
no phone call? no text? no smoke signals? I'm sitting at my desk looking at Katz's from my window right now. did you have to wait in line to get in? some days it's around the corner, which is insane to me. Russ and Daughter's has had a line too- also crazy. I like both, but don't think I'd wait in line for either.

amazing trip- can't believe how much ground you covered and how much you saw and did.

glad the subways worked out for you, in spite of some homeless encounters. 

I don't know either of Taco or RubiRosa... guess I'll have to look into them. I have my spots for mex or pizza and pretty much stick with those.

yeah- locals know... times square is the pimple on the butt of nyc. it's the place you avoid at all costs, even when you're going to the theater. cool to see for 5 minutes- but you're far better off elsewhere... Union Square, Madison Square Park- both central, near trains and lots of other stuff. next time.

I'm sitting at my desk looking at Katz's from my window right now. did you have to wait in line to get in?

I don't know either of Taco or RubiRosa... guess I'll have to look into them.
Yeah we waited in line for about 15 minutes to get into the door at Katz, then it took another 20 minutes to actually place an order.   The dumbest thing is that you have to order your sandwiches at the cutters counters, get a beer in another line, and if you wanted a side like coleslaw that was another area.  It was a PITA but I guess it is all about the experience of having the meat cut in front of you.   

Los Tacos No. 1 has a couple locations.  We went to the one in Chelsea Market.  Really good but I am sure there are plenty of Mexican restaurants in NYC that are as good or better.   Rubirosa is in Little Italy, it is insanely busy and reservations go quickly.   They have outstanding pizza but NYC has so many great pizza places...

Yeah we waited in line for about 15 minutes to get into the door at Katz, then it took another 20 minutes to actually place an order.   The dumbest thing is that you have to order your sandwiches at the cutters counters, get a beer in another line, and if you wanted a side like coleslaw that was another area.  It was a PITA but I guess it is all about the experience of having the meat cut in front of you.   

Los Tacos No. 1 has a couple locations.  We went to the one in Chelsea Market.  Really good but I am sure there are plenty of Mexican restaurants in NYC that are as good or better.   Rubirosa is in Little Italy, it is insanely busy and reservations go quickly.   They have outstanding pizza but NYC has so many great pizza places...
my wife vetoed Katz's years ago because of the all those things- get the ticket, go here, go there. I'm partial to their chopped liver (especially since I gave up red meat, so the pastrami and corned beef are out), but feel like I'm going to have a heartattack the rare times I eat it. it's really the last of the old-school jewish delis, so it's worth the experience. as well as getting the attitude from the people behind the counter (first time I went, when they asked me for which bread- I asked for whole wheat... that went over well).

I grew up near SF, so even though there's decent mexican here, it's the last thing I think of if I think about recommending food for visitors. 

yeah... pizza... my kids have turned into snobs about it, but still occasionally jones for the "dollar pizza" by the slice joints we have just about every block in my hood. 

my wife vetoed Katz's years ago because of the all those things- get the ticket, go here, go there. I'm partial to their chopped liver (especially since I gave up red meat, so the pastrami and corned beef are out), but feel like I'm going to have a heartattack the rare times I eat it. it's really the last of the old-school jewish delis, so it's worth the experience. as well as getting the attitude from the people behind the counter (first time I went, when they asked me for which bread- I asked for whole wheat... that went over well).

I grew up near SF, so even though there's decent mexican here, it's the last thing I think of if I think about recommending food for visitors. 

yeah... pizza... my kids have turned into snobs about it, but still occasionally jones for the "dollar pizza" by the slice joints we have just about every block in my hood. 
 I prefer 2nd Ave Deli over Katz's but Russ and Daughters is also great.  I agree I wouldn't wait on much of a line for either.  Do you go to Pickle Guys and Kossar's Bagels & Bialys on Essex and Grand?  Kossar's Bagels & Bialys is a great bakery but also gets really busy. 

I prefer 2nd Ave Deli over Katz's but Russ and Daughters is also great.  I agree I wouldn't wait on much of a line for either.  Do you go to Pickle Guys and Kossar's Bagels & Bialys on Essex and Grand?  Kossar's Bagels & Bialys is a great bakery but also gets really busy. 
I was never that into 2nd Ave Deli... but especially after they moved way up town. Same for Veselka... but from what I understand, there were lines to get in right after Russia invaded Ukraine- to provide support to a local Ukrainian spot. I support those kind of lines

Pickle Guys is where I used to meet a group of friends to go running... we called it the pickle run. I'm the only person in my household who likes or can even stomach the smell of pickles, so it's not worth getting them. There's that fried pickle place next door too... been curious how that would taste. Kossars is good- better than the bagel spots remaining in my immediate hood. Donut Plant is right there too. Seward park is right south of that- floppinha and I spent a lot of time there hitting a tennis ball the last couple years until they tore it up in the fall.

I was never that into 2nd Ave Deli... but especially after they moved way up town. Same for Veselka... but from what I understand, there were lines to get in right after Russia invaded Ukraine- to provide support to a local Ukrainian spot. I support those kind of lines

Pickle Guys is where I used to meet a group of friends to go running... we called it the pickle run. I'm the only person in my household who likes or can even stomach the smell of pickles, so it's not worth getting them. There's that fried pickle place next door too... been curious how that would taste. Kossars is good- better than the bagel spots remaining in my immediate hood. Donut Plant is right there too. Seward park is right south of that- floppinha and I spent a lot of time there hitting a tennis ball the last couple years until they tore it up in the fall.
I've been to Vaselka a few times and like it, although not in the past couple of years.  I agree about supporting those kinds of lines, even though I'm still allergic to waiting on long lines.  I love Kossar's onion board.  We would go to dim sum at Jing Fong and then walk over to Pickle Guys and Kossars, past Seward Park.  I miss Jing Fong.  They closed during covid.

I've been to Vaselka a few times and like it, although not in the past couple of years.  I agree about supporting those kinds of lines, even though I'm still allergic to waiting on long lines.  I love Kossar's onion board.  We would go to dim sum at Jing Fong and then walk over to Pickle Guys and Kossars, past Seward Park.  I miss Jing Fong.  They closed during covid.
our long-time local bagel spot- "the native bean" closed during covid. the place, the amazing people who worked there, the locals who hung there, and the marginally better bagels than what's around (although they always felt like they were made with more love than other places.. gaining that little bit of love juice that gave them the edge).... left a really big hole on Ave A. it got replaced with Davidovich Bagels who have a spot on Clinton St and in Essex Crossing- I think it's a pretty weak bagel.

Wife and daughter going to Wicked tonight with a stop first at Ellen's Stardust for dinner. It'll be their second time seeing it, there's a new actor playing Glinda so at least it will have some variation. 

Wife and daughter going to Wicked tonight with a stop first at Ellen's Stardust for dinner. It'll be their second time seeing it, there's a new actor playing Glinda so at least it will have some variation. 
Someone comped me tickets last month, think it was my third time seeing it. Still good but I was slightly bored (don’t think I’ve seen anything else 3x.)

Hamilton still my atf. My old company bought me tickets for hitting some quarterly/YE targets. 

This is meaningless list, I’m sure there are legit ones that are more critical. But I noticed they list Hamilton 36th? I’ve seen 20 of the 35 ranked above it.

According to Playbill, there are 18 shows on Broadway rn; 22 theaters are still darkDear Evan Hanson is the only thing currently open I want to see (though Come From Away is also pretty great & one I recommend.)

Further up (E 11th) but I’m partial to Veniero's Pasticceria & Caffe. The family is terrific, third generation & they own the building (e.g., not going away like so many institutions.) They’ve been exceptionally generous to The Father’s Heart (down the block) where I volunteered during lockdown.

Someone comped me tickets last month, think it was my third time seeing it. Still good but I was slightly bored (don’t think I’ve seen anything else 3x.)

Hamilton still my atf. My old company bought me tickets for hitting some quarterly/YE targets. 

This is meaningless list, I’m sure there are legit ones that are more critical. But I noticed they list Hamilton 36th? I’ve seen 20 of the 35 ranked above it.

According to Playbill, there are 18 shows on Broadway rn; 22 theaters are still darkDear Evan Hanson is the only thing currently open I want to see (though Come From Away is also pretty great & one I recommend.)

Further up (E 11th) but I’m partial to Veniero's Pasticceria & Caffe. The family is terrific, third generation & they own the building (e.g., not going away like so many institutions.) They’ve been exceptionally generous to The Father’s Heart (down the block) where I volunteered during lockdown.
Veniero's is legendary. back when we'd head down to the inlaws for spring/easter break, we'd always load up on stuff to bring the family.

that said- I've never really liked the baked goods from there... I think a little dry or I just don't dig the traditional texture/taste combination- dunno, something. been so long since I've had them. weirdly, that block turned into a gluten free row of bakeries for a bit. 

that meaningless list... ranked by length of run- but no Fantastiks? I guess off-bwy doesn't count.

Dear Evan Hanson is really good... just saw it this year. Started watching Come From Away film version after many theater people raved about the show... just didn't do anything for me- musically. Hamilton is the ####. just a perfect musical- amazing music, amazing staging, amazing lighting, great story. 

Fantastiks

Whoa, been a minute.

My first two shows after moving here were that at Sullivan Street Playhouse & plays at Cherry Lane Theatre & Ohio Theater. Two of those are gone now.

Yeah, 42 year run but I guess it was only B’way shows. TIL there have only been been 300 musicals on the great white way.

MTA orders bus drivers not to open back doors to combat fare evasion

We’re gonna board and depart up front? Do these people use public transportation?

GLWT

Police handcuff mom selling mangoes in Brooklyn subway station; video sparks outrage

The hits just keep coming with Mayor Adams.

Regarding the latter, my friend is an advocate in the Census office. She’s a has a permit to sell, pays taxes (including sales tax), has the board of health food safety thing, been doing it 10 years. We all walk by the Central American ladies selling mangoes & kiwis & whatever in a bag. She doesn’t have a vendor permit to sell on the platform (nigh impossible.) She has the regular vendor license.

Falcon, an immigrant, has a food vendor license, according to the Street Vendor Project. She’s served her customers for more than 10 years. Falcon does not have a permit to vend; those permits can be near impossible to obtain. There’s even an underground market where permits can go for up to $20,000 each.

Falcon was held for about two hours after she was handcuffed. She said police threw her fruits and chocolate in the trash, then gave her a property voucher to reclaim her cutting board, cart and other non-perishable materials. 

Who is she hurting? What public good comes from this? Hard working immigrant trying provide for her family. She was out on the street yesterday selling on Mother’s Day. After taking a few days off bc she was traumatized by her arrest.

We can do better.

MTA orders bus drivers not to open back doors to combat fare evasion

We’re gonna board and depart up front? Do these people use public transportation?

GLWT

Police handcuff mom selling mangoes in Brooklyn subway station; video sparks outrage

The hits just keep coming with Mayor Adams.

Regarding the latter, my friend is an advocate in the Census office. She’s a has a permit to sell, pays taxes (including sales tax), has the board of health food safety thing, been doing it 10 years. We all walk by the Central American ladies selling mangoes & kiwis & whatever in a bag. She doesn’t have a vendor permit to sell on the platform (nigh impossible.) She has the regular vendor license.

Falcon, an immigrant, has a food vendor license, according to the Street Vendor Project. She’s served her customers for more than 10 years. Falcon does not have a permit to vend; those permits can be near impossible to obtain. There’s even an underground market where permits can go for up to $20,000 each.

Falcon was held for about two hours after she was handcuffed. She said police threw her fruits and chocolate in the trash, then gave her a property voucher to reclaim her cutting board, cart and other non-perishable materials. 

Who is she hurting? What public good comes from this? Hard working immigrant trying provide for her family. She was out on the street yesterday selling on Mother’s Day. After taking a few days off bc she was traumatized by her arrest.

We can do better.
and the pendulum swings the other way...

the mango lady... cripes. THAT'S the problem with our subways that needs fixing? a woman offering food for sale?

that said- I'm happy to see a lot more cops out and about and in the subways. a lot of crap that went on with impunity down there is starting to disappear. 

funny that the MTA is the last bastion of required mask wearing, and that the demographic who seems to have the least of it are the same young 20s white folk who party and vomit in my hood. not saying they're the only ones- but consistently the majority. and european tourists.

the bus thing... I get it- people are just living without rules since covid, and that kind of behavior has become normalized. we take the bus regularly, and I see people hopping in the back all the time. but I've also seen bus drivers (a couple of times only) see somebody come through the back door and tell them to get off, or the bus won't move until they do. it worked both times...but I can also imagine it going south fast given how awful and entitled people have become. and I assume the SBS buses are immune to that back door thing... that's the whole point of those things.

total aside... taking the MTA bus to school with Floppinha this morning, the same person from yesterday got on a couple stops later and sits near us. I know this, because that person REEKED. of cigs. just unbearable. after suffering through it yesterday, I had to get up today and move us to another part of the bus.

got me wondering... I've gotten used to people without access or mental capacity for regular bathing being on bus/subway and smelling terrible. this was a seemingly normal person on their way to work (regular commute time)- someone who probably bathes regularly. definitely a different outfit today.

I wonder- do they know just how bad they smell? 15' radius of stank. if they knew, would they try to cut their smoking down a bit? or... I dunno- something? not all smokers reek this bad. there has to be something they can do to not stink? they might as well be somebody crazy or homeless who doesnt' bathe.

I assume the SBS buses are immune to that back door thing... that's the whole point of those things.
been riding SBS forever & was checked for a ticker/receipt for the first time ever last month

off topic - what’s a good free alternative to Visio?

need a simple program to do a seating chart for a banquet 

been riding SBS forever & was checked for a ticker/receipt for the first time ever last month

off topic - what’s a good free alternative to Visio?

need a simple program to do a seating chart for a banquet 
I haven't been checked in a LONG time. but certain routes... particularly the M15 up 1st Ave and down to the Battery... have had them more than others.

I have no idea what Visio is. 

So I'll say... cheese? Maybe a nice sharp cheddar? Or pen and paper?

and the next thing you know, they'll be bbqing human flesh. it's a slippery slope. 

ugh.

because bbqs have been rampant in the subway system previously? wtf.

and it's not that people shouldn't follow the rules... but arresting this woman (and impounding her livelihood and throwing out her wares) instead of just giving her the 23 skidoo? how about you stop people from riding their electric bikes down the sidewalks. or any other countless ACTUAL life-safety rampant problems first. 

23andMe connected me to a 2nd cousin who is planning a small NYC family reunion...probably 12-15 people.

they're looking for advice as to where to go for dinner with that group. I have no idea. anything larger than 4 becomes a problem in my neighborhood. 

thoughts? advises?

first person that says Carmines gets subway bbqed.

23andMe connected me to a 2nd cousin who is planning a small NYC family reunion...probably 12-15 people.

they're looking for advice as to where to go for dinner with that group. I have no idea. anything larger than 4 becomes a problem in my neighborhood. 

thoughts? advises?

I'm so out of the loop and assume Per Se just won't cut it anymore.  Maybe switch it up and hit Salt Bae's steakhouse? 

Last edited by a moderator:

thoughts? advises?

first person that says Carmines gets subway bbqed.
I always go Hill Country if I have a big group.  Or Carmines.  

I always go Hill Country if I have a big group.  Or Carmines.  
expect it when you least expect it.

at least one of these cousins is coming from Texas... but Hill Country is a good idea, even if it's probably the equivalent of going out for bagels or pizza in texas.

expect it when you least expect it.

at least one of these cousins is coming from Texas... but Hill Country is a good idea, even if it's probably the equivalent of going out for bagels or pizza in texas.
Hill Country is one of my go to spots. Plus they deliver. The moist brisket there is the best you will find anywhere in the entire state, let alone NYC. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Hill Country is one of my go to spots. Plus they deliver. The moist brisket there is the best you will find anywhere in the entire state, let alone NYC. 
Ive been to alot of the top bbq spots in texas.  Hill countrys moist does stand up to what they serve down there(they have off days occasionally).  And they do fly in their sausage from Kreuz market in lockhart. 

NYC actually has a few decent bbq spots. 

Ive been to alot of the top bbq spots in texas.  Hill countrys moist does stand up to what they serve down there(they have off days occasionally).  And they do fly in their sausage from Kreuz market in lockhart. 

NYC actually has a few decent bbq spots. 
I like Hill Country but standing on the individual lines always annoyed me. My favorite was Dinosaur BBQ on 125th St. and to be honest, actually enjoyed Virgil's too. It was my go-to if I had to be in Times Square. Oh and Blue Smoke.

I forgot or didn't realize about Hill Country's lines. (I don't think I've eaten in there since the first year it opened). that doesn't seem great for a bigger group.

I like Hill Country but standing on the individual lines always annoyed me. My favorite was Dinosaur BBQ on 125th St. and to be honest, actually enjoyed Virgil's too. It was my go-to if I had to be in Times Square. Oh and Blue Smoke.
Dino is solid also.  Their smoked wings are really good.  Fette sau was also good i haven’t been in a while.  

El Floppo said:
I forgot or didn't realize about Hill Country's lines. (I don't think I've eaten in there since the first year it opened). that doesn't seem great for a bigger group.
Is one person picking up the check?  If not, that's why Hill Country is so great for groups.  

Is one person picking up the check?  If not, that's why Hill Country is so great for groups.  
solid point.

I'll throw it out there for them.

I don't even think we're going to be able to join- it's the same weekend as both of my kids' bday parties... one Sat, one Sun. plus Juilliard, plus a tennis tryout and an acapella performance/benefit.

solid point.

I'll throw it out there for them.

I don't even think we're going to be able to join- it's the same weekend as both of my kids' bday parties... one Sat, one Sun. plus Juilliard, plus a tennis tryout and an acapella performance/benefit.
Can't wait to hear you sing GB.

When did we start getting asked to (unironically) tip at Shake Shack? Was there a vote on this? 

FTR I chose 0%. I’m a 20-25 percent guy even when it’s mediocre. But fast food? frfr?

So through a friend, I was introduced to the owner of a few Greenwich Village spots, Ariel Arce. She runs a little champagne bar called Air Champagne Parlor, and my favorite date spot underneath:

Tokyo Record Bar

It's a basement, tiny spot. The shtick: 12 seats total. Two or three seatings a night, 6:30/8:30/10:30. You are handed a list of the records in house that day, and choose a few songs, which collectively create the vinyl playlist th DJ spins during your dinner. Playlist curated by the dinner guests. Dinner is 7 courses for $65. That price is not a misprint. 

She also operates a spot a few blocks away, called Niche Niche  

Set seatings as well, small venue, with a different somm/wine director each week, with a menu paired to the foods. The dinner starts with a little wine social first, it's pretty great. 

Very singular, original spots.

So through a friend, I was introduced to the owner of a few Greenwich Village spots, Ariel Arce. She runs a little champagne bar called Air Champagne Parlor, and my favorite date spot underneath:

Tokyo Record Bar

It's a basement, tiny spot. The shtick: 12 seats total. Two or three seatings a night, 6:30/8:30/10:30. You are handed a list of the records in house that day, and choose a few songs, which collectively create the vinyl playlist th DJ spins during your dinner. Playlist curated by the dinner guests. Dinner is 7 courses for $65. That price is not a misprint. 

She also operates a spot a few blocks away, called Niche Niche  

Set seatings as well, small venue, with a different somm/wine director each week, with a menu paired to the foods. The dinner starts with a little wine social first, it's pretty great. 

Very singular, original spots.
those look great... thanks!

floppowife will hate them. 

Andrew Dice Clay holding court in front of my building just now. Film crew of 6-8, looked like sidewalk interviews?

I got nothing, never go beyond the head nod with celebs or B listers. It’s just we don’t get many down here in Sheepshead Bay.

Funny incident today in LIC, that I think would make a great practical joke. 

Busy pedestrian intersection, with young Asian professionals walking with their faces buried in their phones. 

4 workers of some kind standing around, orange vests, looking up in the air. Small I-beam hanging from a crane. No one pays attention, walks right by them. I'm on my bike, waiting for a light. The guy with the I-beam is swinging it the wrong direction.

One of the guys says, "woahh, woah, WOAH!!!!" 

He made it sound worse that it was, and at least 12 people scattered like panicked roaches. One of the workers and I shared a mean little laugh. 

You could do this at any busy intersection in NYC, and it would kill. 

At Coney with floppinha  and her buddy today, memorial day. Good times even if a bit crowded

ha! just left, we were down by the parachute jump & then at the brewery in front of the ballpark (owned friends of the fiancée)

going to a late afternoon BBQ in SHB - last two days were perfect weather, eh

after brunch in the WV yesterday we hung out at that ginormous 2 acre rooftop park on Pier 57 (Chelsea) - better vistas less crowded than City Islands

Users who are viewing this thread