What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

[icon]'s whiskey flipping thread (1 Viewer)

Side note: The shop owner told me he'd stash the last two bottles of Baker's at $24 a pop...just in case I really liked it.

Single Malt Scotch Dinner on April 30th I will be at:

Passed Hors d’oeuvres

Aberfeldy 12 year old – Highland

Starter Course

Ancnoc 12 year old – Speyside

Honey & Black Pepper Salmon Gravlax with Lemon Grass

Second Course

Scapa 16 year old – Islands

Drambuie Marinated Duck Breast with Apple-Ginger Sauce

Sorbet

Entrée Course

Auchentoshan Three Wood – Lowland

Roasted Rack of Lamb with Auchentoshan Jus, Oven Dried Tomatoes, and Clapshots

Dessert Course

Bowmore 18 year old – Islay

Brioche Sticky Toffee Pudding with Caramel, Oatmeal, and Cocoa Streusel Topping

Last edited by a moderator:

Passed Hors d’oeuvres

Starter Course

Second Course

Sorbet

Entrée Course

Dessert Course

Oatmeal?I'm not a huge Scotch guy...but I do like Bowmore.

1) Booker's

2) Woodford Reserve

3) Buffalo Trace

4) Maker's 46

5) Maker's Mark

6) Eagle Rare

7) Ridgemont Reserve

8) Bulleit

9) Four Roses

I had the bottle of Maker's 46 at a Daytona 500 party. I didn't INTEND to drink the whole thing...but then a couple buddies got involved. Goodbye, Maker's 46. Good stuff...but not tremendously better than plain 'ol Maker's for an extra $8.

Fast forward to tonight...did you know that liquor stores have clearance sales? Well...mine did. The wife and I stocked up. Picked up a bottle of Baker's for $24, and a bottle of Four Roses for $12 (it's normally around $18 per bottle). I'm feeling a little off tonight, so I decided to open the Four Roses first and have a bit over an ice cube.

It's...not that enjoyable. Kinda harsh, and seems high in rye content. It just kinda tastes...dirty. It will spend the rest of it's existence as a mixer.

Up next...Baker's. I keep staring at it, so I'm going to hide it behind the rest of the bottles that my wife bought. Otherwise, I might take a crack at it tonight.
as an aside, four roses single barrel is great, but not as good as evan williams single barrel or Eagle Rare Single barrel, both of which are cheaper

Wow, great thread, no idea how I've overlooked this for so long...

Can anyone bring me up to speed on why 1 rock is the way to go? I'm a "neat" guy, I like it straight, clean and undiluted. Should I be adding a single ice cube just for temperature? As much as I hate the idea of it melting in my glass and mixing into my bourbon, I could see going this route if it brings out the best in the drink.

Passed Hors d’oeuvres

Starter Course

Second Course

Sorbet

Entrée Course

Dessert Course

Oatmeal?I'm not a huge Scotch guy...but I do like Bowmore.
Gotta believe it is a mixture of dry oatmeal and cocoa with the caramel. The smokiness of this Bowmore has wonderful caramel and chocolate notes in the nose and should be a perfect pairing with a nice rich dessert.

Can anyone bring me up to speed on why 1 rock is the way to go? I'm a "neat" guy, I like it straight, clean and undiluted. Should I be adding a single ice cube just for temperature? As much as I hate the idea of it melting in my glass and mixing into my bourbon, I could see going this route if it brings out the best in the drink.
Check this outAvoid dilution while enjoying a cold drink! These amazing ice cubes made of stone keep drinks chilly cold without dilution of the drink. Drinks keep their full flavor till the last sip! Made with 100% Natural Soapstone.

Wow, great thread, no idea how I've overlooked this for so long...Can anyone bring me up to speed on why 1 rock is the way to go? I'm a "neat" guy, I like it straight, clean and undiluted. Should I be adding a single ice cube just for temperature? As much as I hate the idea of it melting in my glass and mixing into my bourbon, I could see going this route if it brings out the best in the drink.
I think if you prefer it neat, drink it neat. I just dislike it warm, and the one ice cube doesn't dilute it much.

Check this outAvoid dilution while enjoying a cold drink! These amazing ice cubes made of stone keep drinks chilly cold without dilution of the drink. Drinks keep their full flavor till the last sip! Made with 100% Natural Soapstone.
Soapstone. Cool. I'd be terrified of breaking a rocks glass, but...I might give those a try.

Soapstone. Cool. I'd be terrified of breaking a rocks glass, but...I might give those a try.
They do work. I toss one in my whiskey and I love the fact that it cools down the whiskey without diluting it

So like when did you decide you liked whiskey? Was it an acquired taste? I've never been able to stomach the stuff, even if you cut it with sugary drinks, like Jack and Coke for instance.

So like when did you decide you liked whiskey? Was it an acquired taste? I've never been able to stomach the stuff, even if you cut it with sugary drinks, like Jack and Coke for instance.
There aren't many liquors I don't like. None took a breaking-in period.

yes, its an acquired taste.here's my progression that i'd recommend. I don't know what your experience is with whiskey.But Jack is an absolutely terrible whiskey with a harsh taste that is definitely acquired.I'd start with the canadian whiskies... unless you get into the higher level ones they are milder, sweeter, and great mixers.Try canadian club or canadian mist or Seagram's VO or Crown Royal.. try it with something like Sprite or Coke... if you like that... progress... if not... it's overThen try out the Canadian Whiskey with something non flavored like Club soda or water... if that works.. move on.Then goto American Whiskey... like Seagram's 7... see how that treats you... with a mixerthen you could progress to bourbon... try a nice smoother one like Buffalo Trace and mix itThen try an even nicer bourbon with just water or ice like Eagle RareThen if you can handle that you can go into trying a good irish whiskey like Redbreast 12 or a smoother sweeter scotch like Macallan 12This process will take years... but my journey towards whiskey was a good one.. many won't make it this far. they never make it past cheaper mixing whiskies because either they can't afford the good whiskey that tastes good neat or with a cube... or because they aren't willing to experiment or push themselves

It was a concerted and worthwhile effort.

yes, its an acquired taste.here's my progression that i'd recommend. I don't know what your experience is with whiskey.But Jack is an absolutely terrible whiskey with a harsh taste that is definitely acquired.I'd start with the canadian whiskies... unless you get into the higher level ones they are milder, sweeter, and great mixers.Try canadian club or canadian mist or Seagram's VO or Crown Royal.. try it with something like Sprite or Coke... if you like that... progress... if not... it's overThen try out the Canadian Whiskey with something non flavored like Club soda or water... if that works.. move on.Then goto American Whiskey... like Seagram's 7... see how that treats you... with a mixerthen you could progress to bourbon... try a nice smoother one like Buffalo Trace and mix itThen try an even nicer bourbon with just water or ice like Eagle RareThen if you can handle that you can go into trying a good irish whiskey like Redbreast 12 or a smoother sweeter scotch like Macallan 12This process will take years... but my journey towards whiskey was a good one.. many won't make it this far. they never make it past cheaper mixing whiskies because either they can't afford the good whiskey that tastes good neat or with a cube... or because they aren't willing to experiment or push themselves
This is kind of meandering all over the place. To each their own, but why not go for the good stuff asap?

They do work. I toss one in my whiskey and I love the fact that it cools down the whiskey without diluting it
So you're paying someone $40 for a couple of small stones?

So you're paying someone $40 for a couple of small stones?
In order to drink a nice expensive glass of bourbon or scotch without ruining it yes...yes I am.

This is kind of meandering all over the place. To each their own, but why not go for the good stuff asap?
something to be said for developing palate and appreciate the good stuff... if you don't know what mediocre is.. how can you appreciate good

How / where are you drinking it?Whiskey, like we're generally discussing in this thread, is a sipping drink. And while you can get it at a bar, I don't see it as a bar / "drinking" drink (I've mentioned similar earlier in the thread). To me, it's a "relax after a hard day of work" drink. It's kind of the whole experience (it has to be - good whiskey is not cheap).

I kind of disagree w/ Dr. No here - I see no reason to go through cheap stuff and mix it. If you are interested, get yourself a bottle of Makers Mark (bourbon) or Glenlivit 12 (scotch) - both are fine starter whiskeys. Get a nice rock glass (this is actually important), pour some over an ice cube, and sit outside or by a fire and sip it over a half an hour while you relax. Again - sip it, don't "drink" it. Do this two or three times. Then report back :)

here's the thing... i hear you jwb, but i just disagree.

I think Glenlivet is not tasty at all.

I thought it the first time I tried it, and I think it now with a more refined palate.

I think someone without a refined palate will take a sip of makers and just not enjoy it.

to each their own.

I think there's a difference between "sort of" good and GREAT.

Makers is good... Eagle Rare is GREAT.. they have similar price points.

I don't like Makers... EAgle rare changed my opinion of bourbon altogether.

Glenlivet is not great... macallan 12 made me want to try more scotch.

who knows.

I guess if you really don't like something... drink something else you do like ultimately.

here's the thing... i hear you jwb, but i just disagree.I think Glenlivet is not tasty at all.I thought it the first time I tried it, and I think it now with a more refined palate.I think someone without a refined palate will take a sip of makers and just not enjoy it.to each their own.I think there's a difference between "sort of" good and GREAT.Makers is good... Eagle Rare is GREAT.. they have similar price points.I don't like Makers... EAgle rare changed my opinion of bourbon altogether.Glenlivet is not great... macallan 12 made me want to try more scotch.who knows.I guess if you really don't like something... drink something else you do like ultimately.
Interestingly...my neighbor who helped me annihilate the Maker's 46 felt so guilty he went out and bought a 1.5L of Eagle Rare today. He and I are gonna drink it, he says.As it's one of the first ones I tried, I'm interested to see how a second go-round of it will do.

1) Booker's

2) Woodford Reserve

3) Buffalo Trace

4) Maker's 46

5) Maker's Mark

6) Eagle Rare

7) Ridgemont Reserve

8) Bulleit

9) Four Roses

Fast forward to tonight...did you know that liquor stores have clearance sales?
P.S. pick up a bottle of Elijah Craig 12yo before they are all gone :hot:

These sound awesome, but I can't find them on the site. :coffee: I'm just getting a sushi serving tray as the only coldware item...

These sound awesome, but I can't find them on the site. :crazy: I'm just getting a sushi serving tray as the only coldware item...
Some other places make plastic ice cubes filled with water was well. My wife bought them to use with wine and they work well with whiskey too. She said it was around $4 for a dozen.

1) Booker's

2) Woodford Reserve

3) Buffalo Trace

4) Maker's 46

5) Maker's Mark

6) Eagle Rare

7) Ridgemont Reserve

8) Bulleit

9) Four Roses

Fast forward to tonight...did you know that liquor stores have clearance sales?
P.S. pick up a bottle of Elijah Craig 12yo before they are all gone :hot:
That wasn't on sale. Just the Baker's. I...I may crack into it tonight. I gave up one of my bottles of Baker's stash to my neighbor.

1) Booker's

2) Woodford Reserve

3) Baker's

4) Buffalo Trace

5) Eagle Rare

6) Maker's 46

7) Maker's Mark

8) Ridgemont Reserve

9) Bulleit

10) Four Roses

Wow.

Baker's is easily the strongest bourbon I've had thus far...but it doesn't affect the taste. Very clean, interesting finish...with a LOT of heat.

I'm gonna have to delve into this bottle a little more tomorrow. Ranking might change a little.

The neighbor and I also re-sampled some Eagle Rare. Far better than I gave it credit for, originally.

Costco has a house branded Small Batch 7 year old bourbon that is 103 proof for $20 a liter.

It was just recently released.

This was worth a gamble to me... $20 for a liter of bourbon isn't much.. especially an aged bourbon.

from a deep google search, it's apparent that Jim Beam was the distiller for the whiskey.

My review: not a bad bourbon but you can do a LOT better.

I felt it was too harsh and spicy.

For my money I'd rather have Evan Williams Single Barrell for a few bucks more, Eagle Rare, or Buffalo Trace.

I tried it neat.... i will give it another evaluation with an ice cube, and mixed with some coke or 7.

Given that volume adjusted it was only about $15 for a fifth, I still find it to be a good value... by comparison .. the evan williams is like $25 a fifth, and eagle rare is $27-29.... so really they aren't on comparable price points.

Relative to a $15 fifth of booze it was quite good. I'd say it is better than Woodford reserve, regular Jim Beam, and Jack Daniels (i know, technically not a bourbon).

I'd kind of compare it to costco's anjeno tequila which is very inexpensive for a anjeno, but not really a GOOD anejo.

So far.. kirkland vodka is a winner both in price and quality, kirland tequila is flat out cheap for what you get, kirland bourbon is kind of in between.. decent value/decent quality.... Kirkland Beer is also decent, but I don't like all the styles of beer they offer so I never buy that pack.

Got some Talisker 18 year as a gift. Stuff is major major pwnage. Maybe my new fave.
Bump for potentially the best scotch I've ever had.ETA: (90-95) Points - Wine Enthusiast9.5/10 - Martine Nouet, Whisky Magazine9/10 - David Broom, Whisky Magazine93 Points - Malt AdvocateTalisker 18 Year is a delightfully complex single malt that seamlessly joins aromas of toffee, maple and honey with briny iodine and seaweed notes. The pronounced peat continues on the palate, but is joined by flavors of roasted nuts, anise, heather, and candied fruit. This polished and nuanced whisky evokes standing on seaside docks as notes of tar, soot, smoke, salt water, and aged wood reveal themselves. Product of ScotlandAlcohol by Volume: 45.8%At about 80 bucks a bottle it's not cheap, and not inexpensive enough for a daily drinker, but it's good for here and there.

So WTF, I see pappy mentioned so little, you guys can't get your hands on it or don't like it? Can't believe it could be the latter...

So WTF, I see pappy mentioned so little, you guys can't get your hands on it or don't like it? Can't believe it could be the latter...
Personally I think that Blanton's is both better and cheaper. Pappy is good, but I feel that there are other Bourbons out there that offer a much higher taste/value, and this is coming form someone who has 3 bottles of $150+ scotch and 12 bottles of $65+ whiskey. IMHO Pappy is overrated for what you actually get. Kind of like Johnny Walker Blue. Very nice, but not worth the price.

Personally I think that Blanton's is both better and cheaper. 1) Pappy is good, but I feel that there are other Bourbons out there that offer a much higher taste/value, and this is coming form someone 2) who has 3 bottles of $150+ scotch and 12 bottles of $65+ whiskey. IMHO Pappy is overrated for what you actually get. Kind of like Johnny Walker Blue. Very nice, but not worth the price.
1) IMHO :no: :no: :no: 2) So what. I know a lot of people that have a lot of wine that is expensive but don't know anything about what they have or wine in general. Same goes for them with their Scotch, Bourbon, Whisky, Cognac, Armagnac, Rum, and Whiskey.

These sound awesome, but I can't find them on the site. :coffee: I'm just getting a sushi serving tray as the only coldware item...
Try this one. The site has moved

I'm buying a new place next month, and to celebrate, I've stocked up on booze. I grabbed some Jack, Glenfiddich, Blue Label, Macallan, Maker's Mark, Crown, Jameson, and just for laughs, a bottle of Jeremiah Weed. Something for everyone.

Also, bottles of Patron (not a tequila fan but it's something for the #####es), Bombay Sapphire, and Absolut.

Not a bad start for a bar. :thumbup:
Good idea. We usually have the liquor cabinet pretty well stocked with a little bit of everything. Sometimes, we run low on particular brands (mostly Herradura Silver tequila because it's my wife's favorite and JD Single Barrel because it's my favorite). Yet that one bottle of Captain Morgan sits on the shelf full, just in case a non-discriminating rum drinker ever comes to visit.
:lmao: Back in high school, before I knew any better, we'd drink Captain Morgan with Coke or Jolt Cola every weekend. Now I'm just a whiskey guy all around, except for the occassional gin and tonic during the summer.
So if somebody was a guy who liked Captain Morgans, but wanted to buy a higher quality spiced rum, what would he look at?

So if somebody was a guy who liked Captain Morgans, but wanted to buy a higher quality spiced rum, what would he look at?
not very many spiced rums are ranked highly.http://proof66.com/display.php?frm=y&t=rum&sel=Spiced&att=&tab=ratings&varsort=aggscore_hlThe one that was i've never seen in a store, so i presume you'd have to acquire it online.That being said if you just like rum in general, i'm digging Ten Cane Rum and Cruzan Single Barrel

I'm buying a new place next month, and to celebrate, I've stocked up on booze. I grabbed some Jack, Glenfiddich, Blue Label, Macallan, Maker's Mark, Crown, Jameson, and just for laughs, a bottle of Jeremiah Weed. Something for everyone.

Also, bottles of Patron (not a tequila fan but it's something for the #####es), Bombay Sapphire, and Absolut.

Not a bad start for a bar. :thumbup:
Good idea. We usually have the liquor cabinet pretty well stocked with a little bit of everything. Sometimes, we run low on particular brands (mostly Herradura Silver tequila because it's my wife's favorite and JD Single Barrel because it's my favorite). Yet that one bottle of Captain Morgan sits on the shelf full, just in case a non-discriminating rum drinker ever comes to visit.
:lmao: Back in high school, before I knew any better, we'd drink Captain Morgan with Coke or Jolt Cola every weekend. Now I'm just a whiskey guy all around, except for the occassional gin and tonic during the summer.
If spiced rum is what you like, I don't see a reason to steer away from Captain Morgans.

Personally I think that Blanton's is both better and cheaper. 1) Pappy is good, but I feel that there are other Bourbons out there that offer a much higher taste/value, and this is coming form someone 2) who has 3 bottles of $150+ scotch and 12 bottles of $65+ whiskey. IMHO Pappy is overrated for what you actually get. Kind of like Johnny Walker Blue. Very nice, but not worth the price.
1) IMHO :no: :no: :no: 2) So what. I know a lot of people that have a lot of wine that is expensive but don't know anything about what they have or wine in general. Same goes for them with their Scotch, Bourbon, Whisky, Cognac, Armagnac, Rum, and Whiskey.
Thank you for telling me that my opinion is wrong. I guess that we should all just take what you say as bible and move on? I was using my library to highlight that I am an avid whiskey drinker.

Thank you for telling me that my opinion is wrong. I guess that we should all just take what you say as bible and move on? I was using my library to highlight that I am an avid whiskey drinker.
1) You give an IMHO but nobody else can? 2) No you weren't. You were bragging.

Whirlwind 48-hour stay in Dublin...specifically decided to jump out of my bourbon comfort zone and jump into some Irish Whiskey while there.

Of course, in the middle of trying Green Spot, Powers and Redbreast at the Temple Bar, I spied a bottle of Booker's waaaay back on the top shelf...about three fingers left in the bottom...bartender gave it to me for five euro (more than likely to keep my friends and I quiet). The difference between the two styles is remarkable when you "taste test" them.

The following day I did the Jameson's tour, and tested Johnny Walker Black vs. Jameson's vs. Jack Daniel's. Interesting.

Just got back home with a bottle of Jameson's 12-year Distillery Reserve...looking forward to that.

I was particularly enamored with the Green Spot...and fully intended to buy some at duty free (couldn't fit another bottle in my checked bag), but the duty free shop was closed. Ah well.

Edited to fix the whiskey I bought. Apparently the Distillery reserve is a bit rarer. Special Reserve you can buy pretty much anywhere.

Got some Talisker 18 year as a gift. Stuff is major major pwnage. Maybe my new fave.
Bump for potentially the best scotch I've ever had.ETA: (90-95) Points - Wine Enthusiast9.5/10 - Martine Nouet, Whisky Magazine9/10 - David Broom, Whisky Magazine93 Points - Malt AdvocateTalisker 18 Year is a delightfully complex single malt that seamlessly joins aromas of toffee, maple and honey with briny iodine and seaweed notes. The pronounced peat continues on the palate, but is joined by flavors of roasted nuts, anise, heather, and candied fruit. This polished and nuanced whisky evokes standing on seaside docks as notes of tar, soot, smoke, salt water, and aged wood reveal themselves. Product of ScotlandAlcohol by Volume: 45.8%At about 80 bucks a bottle it's not cheap, and not inexpensive enough for a daily drinker, but it's good for here and there.
I can't believe I missed this thread for so long, but this post needs to be viewed by more people. Talisker 18 is spectacular. I have three favorite scotches in my experience: Talisker 18, The Belvenie 21, and Lagavulin 16. Of course it must be mentioned that these are all a bit pricey and most people wouldn't consider them a daily drinker, but if you're a scotch fan you need to try these three wonderful creations.

Costco has their Macallan 15 Kirkland Signature Scotch out for the Holidays. This stuff is a bargain for $50 - pick up a bottle while they last. you won't see them by December.

Evan Williams Cherry Reserve :thumbup:

It's only 70 proof and is sweet without being cloying. Best thing is it's cheap as hell, like 12 bucks for a bottle.

Unfortunately, I let myself get a little carried away and this stuff catches up with you fast.

Users who are viewing this thread