What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

[icon]'s whiskey flipping thread (4 Viewers)

I am very interested in the Black Maple Hill 16 Year. Is it worth the price?
No. Especially not the new crap that is made in Oregon. The old stuff was really good, but has gotten ridiculously expensive and isn't worth it. The in between stuff was good and has gotten way overpriced because of how good the old stuff was. The new stuff is garbage, I'd rather drink tap water in Flint
Well, I guess not.

Since the score of the older VOB Squats and such, I've given/swapped about half it away to buddies. Some of the stuff I've got coming in to try:

• A fat sample off a 60's era Old Forrester gallon
• A sample off an old 60's era tax stamped Stitzel-Weller Old Fitzgerald (pic of similar bottle for rep)

• Couple 200ml/375ml of National Distillers Era Bourbon deLuxe and Old Grand Dad BIB.
• Samples from several bottles from a new buddy's 60-bottle Willett collection (knows Drew and is supposedly going to set something up for our trip in a few weeks).
• Couple 200ml of old paper-label Weller 7yr SR That I've been itching to compare to the newer stuff.

Also have Elijah Craig Barrel proof Batches 3 (devil's batch), 5, and 10 coming in, as well as a few bottles of EH Taylor's Barrel Proof #3 (129.0).

Once I get everything in, I'll take some sample requests if folks want to try some different stuff.

Sober break sucks... I'm ready for my Super Bowl hiatus Sunday :banned:

About a year ago I was surprised to find a Pappy Van Winkle 15yr at my local liquor store - at the time the 15yr was considered inferior to the 18yr and 23yr ones. Guy wanted $225 for it at the time - had the cash in my pocket and bought it. It was expensive to me at the time but pulled the trigger after hearing friends trying to get their hands on it for years.

Today I'm seeing this 15 yr bottle at prices such as $1,200. Wow. That is a serious increase in value. Is the 15 yr now considered better than the 18 yr and 23 yr? What would cause such a steep increase in price?

WL Weller 12 has become impossible to find :rant:
Yep... In many states it's now under the "back room handouts to select clients" category of bottle. I got 5 750ml and one 1.75ml this year (one of the 750 was as recently as 3 weeks ago). The other 7-8 bottles had to be traded for (everything from OWA antique store pick 1.75s to jars of BBQ Sauce).

A buddy just bought 11 bottles at the Canadian BX in Rammstein Germany for $50USD each and is flying back with them to share among other buddies.

Somehow my buddy got me a Pappy Van Winkle Special Reserve 12...for 40 bucks. I have to drink it right?
I got one for not TOO much more than that, but $40 is a fantastic price. Nice score!It's tasty bourbon. "Smooth" is a four letter word among bourbon dorks, but that's exactly what it is. Not a ton of complexity or spice like found in higher rye mashbills, but it's an excellent pour. To most folks, it's virtually indistinguishable from its brother, Weller 12yr. Some actually prefer the latter. It's all subjective. If you choose to drink it you will likely enjoy it very much, but temper expectations regarding the "pappy" mystique.

If there is something else you'd prefer, I might be down to trade. Just let me know.
Going to keep it but will see what my buddy can do about another bottle.
Finally got around to trying my Pappy's. Good. Hardly life-changing.

Back from bourbon country... what a trip. 

Wednesday night we headed into Frankfort, checked in. Hit dinner at Longhorn and almost got stranded due to there being ONE cab driver in town. Anyone going to the smaller towns, be aware that public transportation (cabs/uber) are limited if existent at all. 

Thursday:
Buffalo Trace:
Snow was falling as we toured the place. Dave was our tour guide. Great guy, very knowledgeable. One guy in our group had taken the "hard hat" tour before and said our tour was even more in depth. The entire distillery was at our disposal. We could walk anywhere, ask anything. We got an incredibly detailed, hands-on breakdown of the full process... from corn and grains coming onto the lot, to bottles going into the boxes. We tasted milled grains, we tasted mash in various stages of fermentation, we tasted low wine and white dog. We watched filling, dumping and everything in-between. We walked a few Rickhouses including the famous Warehouse C. 

We walked the bottling lines... from the high speed line, to the "single barrel select" bottling house in the WL Weller & Sons building, and the micro-scale bottling at the Blanton's house (where they bottle antique collection, Blantons, EH Taylor, etc.). Each step was very up-close and personal with no place we couldn't walk/stand and we had full access to talk to any employee at any point. It was pretty amazing how labor-intensive and hands-on their process is (particularly finishing), with handwritten labels being hand applied to hand-filled and capped bottles. As we went on to tour another half-dozen facilities ranging from massive industrial scale (bartons) to micro-scale (Willett), it this remained the most interesting process. 

After the tour, we went in for our barrel pick session and they had 4 barrels of Eagle Rare sitting there. We got a rundown of the details on the barrels, how we were only getting to pick ER because we were with a military group, etc. Then we took two glasses per barrel and using a thief (long copper tube) to extract bourbon, and filled them to a line on the glass. Then for one of glass for each barrel we added water to a second line to bring to "bottled proof" (90pf).  We were then encouraged to taste both barrel and bottle proof, take notes, then turn in our favorite two barrels. Universally our group disliked #2. Not because it was bad, just because it was ordinary. #3 had a unique profile and #4 had a very dense/rich traditional ER flavor profile. We left the room for a bit (wandered the rickhouse) while they mixed up the two finalists on the table. We blind tested again and in a 4-2 split decision, chose barrel #3. Filled Feb 18, 2005 it'll come in around 11yr / 1mo when dumped, and as someone who has 4 different "store pick" bottles of ER10, I feel comfortable saying IT IS FANTASTIC. 

After the pick, we finished up the leftover bourbon from the 8 glasses while signing the barrel head, hammering in the bungs, taking some photos, etc. Turns out a guy in the group's friend is related to Harlen Wheatley (BT Master Distiller) so he will be signing the head as well ("For the 155th" then his signature and anything else he wants to add). The barrel will be converted to table in the on-base bar area. 

We then were walked over to their catering hall where they had a great luncheon laid out... expecting sandwiches, we got a great catered meal of some of the best BBQ chicken, scalloped potatoes, etc I've had. Various desserts, sides, drinks, etc. First class affair all around. A quick stop in the gift shop and a tasting later, and we wrapped up. All in all it was a ~5hr stop and served as the benchmark for the trip. Nowhere else came close... but then again we weren't picking barrels everywhere, so perhaps it was an unfair comparison. 

If anyone cares to hear it, I can continue with (far less detailed) breakdowns and photos of our visits to Four Roses ("VIP" tour), Wild Turkey (tasting), Willett (tour hosted by distiller Terry Ballard), Barton (tour), Heaven Hill (tasting), and Makers Mark (Tour). 

A few of the pics from Buffalo Trace:
An upcoming limited release of EH Taylor. We commented on it and when we came back by 30 mins later it was gone. 
Barrels being rolled across the street for filling
Barrels being filled
Another shot of new barrels queued up.
Dumping was underway when we came through. Note the char in the collection trough. 
A disassembled barrel they were checking char on... 
New barrels from independent stave
Barrels and tree cross sections from their Single Oak Project. 
More details on the barrel construction specifications
Approaching Warehouse C and the sign at the entrance. This rickhouse was hit by a tornado a few years back. 
Inside warehouse C
Some experimental barrels (EH Taylor, Old Fire Copper - due out later this year)
Fermentation tank. They have many... 92k gallons each. The vent hood siphons off CO2. The tanks swirl due to yeast feeding as the mash shifts from a very sweet to sour blend over a several day period. 
A Pot still in their experimental secondary distillery. 
Our group looking over our barrels before the tasting
Glasses lined up for tasting
Tasting
Our selected barrel
• The tiny WL Weller bottling hall, where they dump and bottle all single barrel select picks
• The Blantons bottling hall, with two lines operating. One working on EH Taylor Small Batch, and one on Blantons. 
Hand-Applied Labels. Most every step is completely hand-done. 
EH Taylor fill station. These change based on what they're bottling that day. 
Blantons fill station
Corking Blantons
Wax sealing Blantons
Labelling, Tagging, and Bagging Blantons... all by hand. 
Looking down the blantons bottling line
• Lunch photos one and two 
Post tour tasting 
Bourbon Cream and Bourbon Ball chocolates.
The single-oak project.. all 180ish individual recipes all on display. 

Last edited by a moderator:
As far as whiskey purchased on the trip... 
• 2x Makers 46 Cask Strength 375ml ($35ea) - got to hand dip them. Fun process. 
• 2x Willett Family Estate 11yr - Barrel #438 - 116.6 proof (~$115ea)
• 2x Willett Family Estate 12yr - Barrel #3656 - 121.6 proof (~$125ea)
• Random Smooth Ambler Old Scout 10yr Cask Strength Lion's Share pick I found on the shelf

Have tried the WFE 11yr #438 so far and it's phenomenal.... 

Icon and others -

Local place has a bottle if the 12 year lot b pappy van winkle. Can I justify buying it at $499?

I know my wife would not approve, but I've had the pappy once many years ago when in Vegas, and remember it being pretty good. Any thoughts on the 2015 bottle of it?

Worth getting for special occassions, or overpriced for what it is?

Thanks

Got myself some Sazerac Rye and Absinthe to make some Sazerac's, but first I went with sorta a home made whiskey sour, which is surprisingly delishish.  Squeezed and strained juice from one orange and some fresh lemon juice (I'd guess 2oz OJ, 1 lemon?), a few dashes of Peychauds bitters and a tiny bit of honey then matched that with about 3 oz of the saz and rocks in a collins type glass and damn, that hits the spot. 

Back from bourbon country... what a trip. 

Wednesday night we headed into Frankfort, checked in. Hit dinner at Longhorn and almost got stranded due to there being ONE cab driver in town. Anyone going to the smaller towns, be aware that public transportation (cabs/uber) are limited if existent at all. 

Thursday:
Buffalo Trace:
Snow was falling as we toured the place. Dave was our tour guide. Great guy, very knowledgeable. One guy in our group had taken the "hard hat" tour before and said our tour was even more in depth. The entire distillery was at our disposal. We could walk anywhere, ask anything. We got an incredibly detailed, hands-on breakdown of the full process... from corn and grains coming onto the lot, to bottles going into the boxes. We tasted milled grains, we tasted mash in various stages of fermentation, we tasted low wine and white dog. We watched filling, dumping and everything in-between. We walked a few Rickhouses including the famous Warehouse C. 

We walked the bottling lines... from the high speed line, to the "single barrel select" bottling house in the WL Weller & Sons building, and the micro-scale bottling at the Blanton's house (where they bottle antique collection, Blantons, EH Taylor, etc.). Each step was very up-close and personal with no place we couldn't walk/stand and we had full access to talk to any employee at any point. It was pretty amazing how labor-intensive and hands-on their process is (particularly finishing), with handwritten labels being hand applied to hand-filled and capped bottles. As we went on to tour another half-dozen facilities ranging from massive industrial scale (bartons) to micro-scale (Willett), it this remained the most interesting process. 

After the tour, we went in for our barrel pick session and they had 4 barrels of Eagle Rare sitting there. We got a rundown of the details on the barrels, how we were only getting to pick ER because we were with a military group, etc. Then we took two glasses per barrel and using a thief (long copper tube) to extract bourbon, and filled them to a line on the glass. Then for one of glass for each barrel we added water to a second line to bring to "bottled proof" (90pf).  We were then encouraged to taste both barrel and bottle proof, take notes, then turn in our favorite two barrels. Universally our group disliked #2. Not because it was bad, just because it was ordinary. #3 had a unique profile and #4 had a very dense/rich traditional ER flavor profile. We left the room for a bit (wandered the rickhouse) while they mixed up the two finalists on the table. We blind tested again and in a 4-2 split decision, chose barrel #3. Filled Feb 18, 2005 it'll come in around 11yr / 1mo when dumped, and as someone who has 4 different "store pick" bottles of ER10, I feel comfortable saying IT IS FANTASTIC. 

After the pick, we finished up the leftover bourbon from the 8 glasses while signing the barrel head, hammering in the bungs, taking some photos, etc. Turns out a guy in the group's friend is related to Harlen Wheatley (BT Master Distiller) so he will be signing the head as well ("For the 155th" then his signature and anything else he wants to add). The barrel will be converted to table in the on-base bar area. 

We then were walked over to their catering hall where they had a great luncheon laid out... expecting sandwiches, we got a great catered meal of some of the best BBQ chicken, scalloped potatoes, etc I've had. Various desserts, sides, drinks, etc. First class affair all around. A quick stop in the gift shop and a tasting later, and we wrapped up. All in all it was a ~5hr stop and served as the benchmark for the trip. Nowhere else came close... but then again we weren't picking barrels everywhere, so perhaps it was an unfair comparison. 

If anyone cares to hear it, I can continue with (far less detailed) breakdowns and photos of our visits to Four Roses ("VIP" tour), Wild Turkey (tasting), Willett (tour hosted by distiller Terry Ballard), Barton (tour), Heaven Hill (tasting), and Makers Mark (Tour). 

A few of the pics from Buffalo Trace:
An upcoming limited release of EH Taylor. We commented on it and when we came back by 30 mins later it was gone. 
Barrels being rolled across the street for filling
Barrels being filled
Another shot of new barrels queued up.
Dumping was underway when we came through. Note the char in the collection trough. 
A disassembled barrel they were checking char on... 
New barrels from independent stave
Barrels and tree cross sections from their Single Oak Project. 
More details on the barrel construction specifications
Approaching Warehouse C and the sign at the entrance. This rickhouse was hit by a tornado a few years back. 
Inside warehouse C
Some experimental barrels (EH Taylor, Old Fire Copper - due out later this year)
Fermentation tank. They have many... 92k gallons each. The vent hood siphons off CO2. The tanks swirl due to yeast feeding as the mash shifts from a very sweet to sour blend over a several day period. 
A Pot still in their experimental secondary distillery. 
Our group looking over our barrels before the tasting
Glasses lined up for tasting
Tasting
Our selected barrel
• The tiny WL Weller bottling hall, where they dump and bottle all single barrel select picks
• The Blantons bottling hall, with two lines operating. One working on EH Taylor Small Batch, and one on Blantons. 
Hand-Applied Labels. Most every step is completely hand-done. 
EH Taylor fill station. These change based on what they're bottling that day. 
Blantons fill station
Corking Blantons
Wax sealing Blantons
Labelling, Tagging, and Bagging Blantons... all by hand. 
Looking down the blantons bottling line
• Lunch photos one and two 
Post tour tasting 
Bourbon Cream and Bourbon Ball chocolates.
The single-oak project.. all 180ish individual recipes all on display. 

How amazing was it? My SIL says I should do it, but she also works for Sazerac, so it could be slightly bias. 

Anyone tried 2 James Grass Widow or Catchers Rye? I did not try either straight, but both make killer cocktails. 

How amazing was it? My SIL says I should do it, but she also works for Sazerac, so it could be slightly bias. 
I don't want to overbuild expectations.... It's not some religious experience or anything. That said if you have more than a passing interest in bourbon, how it's made, the historical aspects of it... You will have a fantastic time. I've heard to ask for Freddie if you can for a tour guide. 

I would go again this weekend in a heartbeat. Four Roses was kinda meh. Willett's gift shop alone makes it worth it. 

We made it to Evan Williams, Bulleit, Woodford Reserve, Buffalo Trace, Wild Turkey, Jim Beam, Maker's Mark and Barton 1792. I know more about rick houses than any non-distiller would ever want to know.  :banned:

Got myself some Sazerac Rye and Absinthe to make some Sazerac's, but first I went with sorta a home made whiskey sour, which is surprisingly delishish.  Squeezed and strained juice from one orange and some fresh lemon juice (I'd guess 2oz OJ, 1 lemon?), a few dashes of Peychauds bitters and a tiny bit of honey then matched that with about 3 oz of the saz and rocks in a collins type glass and damn, that hits the spot. 
Tweaking and simplifying, I think I hit the mark.

Gotta guess at amounts, so:

First, put drinking glass aside with a few ice cubes.

In a separate glass:

1. fresh squeeze 1/2 orange, de-pulped (I'd assume OJ would be an ok peasant equivalant)

2. About 3 good tussles of Peychaud's Aromatic Bitters

3. About 1 good tussle of Regan's Orange Bitters

4. Toss in 2-3 oz whiskey, depending on taste / preference (in this case, a nice mellow gennlman jack)

Now, Pour this deliciousness over 'dem cubes in your drinkin' glass.

(DRINK!!! Really, you don't get this? Is this not the whole point?)

Just scored an EH Taylor Seasoned Wood from a local shop that set one of his two-bottle alottment aside for me. One of only about a dozen bottles that hit Memphis.

A lot of wildly mixed reviews on this bottle. Being a big fan of Buffalo Trace's wheated mashbill, I had my eye on this one as soon as it was announced. Look forward to popping this and forming my own opinions. 

Have killed half of the first bottle of each of my willett's (11 & 12yr) from the trip this spring. Also finally killed my William Larue Weller and had to crack my 2nd. Happened upon a couple EH Taylor Barrel Proofs which I'm REALLY enjoying right now. 

Our Barrel Pick of Eagle Rare 11yr for the TN Air National Guard should be landing here soon. I ended up with 6 bottles which makes me happy. 

Wife gave me a bottle of Knob Creek Single Barrel(120 proof) last night.  I like to drink my bourbon neat or with a splash of water but may need to rethink that for this bottle. 

Icon - It's my first time drinking the higher proof and was wondering if you do anything different for maximum enjoyment.

Wife gave me a bottle of Knob Creek Single Barrel(120 proof) last night.  I like to drink my bourbon neat or with a splash of water but may need to rethink that for this bottle. 

Icon - It's my first time drinking the higher proof and was wondering if you do anything different for maximum enjoyment.
IMO Many folks palate adjusts where neat isn't an issue for barrel/cask proof whiskey (mine has, I now greatly prefer BP)... some still prefer to cut the proof down to a range they like better. IMO Ice is looked down on many, but sometimes I'll just drop a cube in a glass and pull it when the glass hits a sweet spot I like. Others, you can just add water by the teaspoon/tablespoon if you want. 

Here is a nice whiskey proofing spreadsheet that helps you determine how much water to add to hit a desired proof range. Good article on proofing down as well. 

For your 120pf bourbon, you'll want to add a hair over 1tsp per 1oz of bourbon to cut it down to around 100pf if you're looking to drink it at "bonded" proof. If you're looking to go lower, just add a splash here and there until you like it. 

Also, higher proof stuff will benefit from breathing a bit more as the alcohol vapors can concentrate in the glass. 

Over time, you may find your palate likes the higher proof stuff. I LOVE WLW neat (140pf) as well as EH Taylor Barrel Proof (129pf)... but there was a time where I felt compelled to add ice/water to 90pf whiskeys. Tastes change. :thumbup:

Very pleasantly surprised with EH Taylor seasoned wood.... Followed it with a pour of EH Taylor Barrel proof (129.0). Both neat. Nice 1-2 punch on the night. Crashing now. 

Trying a Glenfiddich 15 for the first time tonight.   Holy S**T!   So smooth, even neat.   Possibly a new fave  :thumbup:
The 18 is even better. One of my absolute go-to scotches. And it's not that much more expensive. Really worth it.

$120 for a frozen ice set?    :shock:   Am I missing something?

These do the same trick for me for ~$20.  Well constructed and highly recommended.

https://www.amazon.com/Tovolo-King-Cube-Ice-Tray/dp/B00395FHRO

https://www.amazon.com/Tovolo-Sphere-Ice-Molds-Set/dp/B007ACTN54
I had those Tovolo ones first. The spheres would come out with many imperfections inside, and then crack through one of them as you drank rather than melting evenly. The wintersmiths ice chest creates beautiful clear spheres that not only look baller in the glass but stay that way as you finish the drink. I should have taken pictures of the spheres I made the other day to have in Blanton old-fashioneds.

I seem to be seeing a proliferation of the "cask-strength" whiskys of different varieties in recent years. Today my local bottle shop guy recommended a single barrel WhistlePig Rye that is "116.9 proof" (as if they can measure it that accurately). My question for y'all - do people really like whisky that sharp or are you mixing it?  I don't want to mix $80+ whisky with anything, not even ice, but I can't really enjoy anything over 90 proof. I like the burn, but not that much burn. Maybe this is something I need to learn to appreciate, but I've been drinking whiskies of all varieties for many years and my inclination is the emperor is naked when it comes to this 115+ proof stuff. Your thoughts are welcome FFA whisky guys.

I seem to be seeing a proliferation of the "cask-strength" whiskys of different varieties in recent years. Today my local bottle shop guy recommended a single barrel WhistlePig Rye that is "116.9 proof" (as if they can measure it that accurately). My question for y'all - do people really like whisky that sharp or are you mixing it?  I don't want to mix $80+ whisky with anything, not even ice, but I can't really enjoy anything over 90 proof. I like the burn, but not that much burn. Maybe this is something I need to learn to appreciate, but I've been drinking whiskies of all varieties for many years and my inclination is the emperor is naked when it comes to this 115+ proof stuff. Your thoughts are welcome FFA whisky guys.
I am a big barrel-proof guy and generally drink my whiskey neat as well. Even hotter stuff like William Larue Weller (136pf), though admittedly with very small sips to wash over my tongue. I've gotten to the point where I think 100-125 is my sweet spot, and 80pf stuff often comes off as thin/bland. I'm guessing i'm not normal, though. 

Some stuff benefits from a splash of water or two to open it up, though. I generally don't like Ice, but some folks do. Nothing wrong with cutting with water to a more desirable proof though :thumbup:

Yeah, the also have an absurdly priced "Boss Hog" at 13 years and 122 proof.  I haven't had that or the cask strength.  I've had the "Triple 1" (11 years and 111 proof) and felt that it was a step down from the standard WhistlePig.  What I love about WP is how beautifully balanced it is.  How the rye marries with the sweeter more bourbon-like components to make a perfect sipping whisky (and a spectacular cocktail whisky too, it makes an amazing Vieux Carre).   The triple 1 loses the balance.  You get more rye spice on the front.  Which isn't a bad thing, but it's an experience I can get for a lot cheaper. 

If you're in search of higher approved rise, the old scout stuff still presents excellent value… Prices are going up it is getting harder to find, but they did an excellent job of picking MGP barrels and releasing some fantastic bottles of rye. 

Some of the Willet family estate stuff in the 7 to 8 year range is quite tasty at as well, but pricing runs comparable to the whistle pig products

for uncut, unfiltered Bourbon… You can do a whole lot worse than Booger's at about 50 or $60 until they raise retail to 100 here pretty soon. Bookers usually lives around 125 proof

bump

just opened a bottle of knob creek single barrel(actually it was opened but when that happened I wasn't in a state of mind to remember what it tasted like)

:excited:

Whew....this is out of my league, needs water 

Yeah, the also have an absurdly priced "Boss Hog" at 13 years and 122 proof.  I haven't had that or the cask strength.  I've had the "Triple 1" (11 years and 111 proof) and felt that it was a step down from the standard WhistlePig.  What I love about WP is how beautifully balanced it is.  How the rye marries with the sweeter more bourbon-like components to make a perfect sipping whisky (and a spectacular cocktail whisky too, it makes an amazing Vieux Carre).   The triple 1 loses the balance.  You get more rye spice on the front.  Which isn't a bad thing, but it's an experience I can get for a lot cheaper. 
Have you or anyone else had a chance to try the Boss Hog? Local place has a bottle of it here, but it is priced just south of $400. I can't justify that kind of expenditure, just curious if it came close to warranting that price point.

Users who are viewing this thread