What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Lawn Care Tips (1 Viewer)

Fat Nick and friends,

Weeds are just wildflowers you have been brainwashed into thinking are not beneficial or beautiful. You keep poisoning nature to change it. But you will change your chromosomes and get cancer from all that crap you put on your play area! That, to me, is insane! It is not nature that is out of control, it is you and your phony sense of suburban beauty. Stop it! The fact that you keep trying to use chemicals to kill plants should demonstrate that it is you that is whacked! Mother nature can and will survive without us. It is you trying to control mother nature with totally unnatural chemicals that is the problem! Your sense of aesthetics is warped.
Oh, yeah, and my wife loves widflowers. She actively asks me to mow around them.
THIS,
Oh, she LOVES this one. Drives me insane.
Does your wife post here under the name "Mowhawk?"

Fat Nick and friends,

Weeds are just wildflowers you have been brainwashed into thinking are not beneficial or beautiful. You keep poisoning nature to change it. But you will change your chromosomes and get cancer from all that crap you put on your play area! That, to me, is insane! It is not nature that is out of control, it is you and your phony sense of suburban beauty. Stop it! The fact that you keep trying to use chemicals to kill plants should demonstrate that it is you that is whacked! Mother nature can and will survive without us. It is you trying to control mother nature with totally unnatural chemicals that is the problem! Your sense of aesthetics is warped.
Oh, yeah, and my wife loves widflowers. She actively asks me to mow around them.
THIS,
Oh, she LOVES this one. Drives me insane.
Does your wife post here under the name "Mowhawk?"
I guess it's possible,

Fat Nick and friends,

I do not want your money. Your lawn is your lawn. Go for it. You have a right to use whatever you want.

It is my belief that you are hurting yourself and anyone who plays on your lawn.

You are entitled to ignore all the warnings of scientists that declare Roundup and other herbicides and pesticides as carcinogens (look it up!) Read the labels! .

You wanna mess around with that ####, go right ahead.

I just wish you and all the other people would stop so that others' right to an unspoiled nature were not fouled up by the spread of your dirty toxins
Typical - you ask someone to do a little work in support of their cause and they turn you down. :thumbdown: If you really cared, you'd come pull my weeds. If you don't care about the money, I'll let you do it for free.

You'd be saving me, my neighbors (who may let you pull their weeds too), and the rest of the people who want an unspoiled nature.

each person is responsible for his own work. I do mine...you do yours, I don't poison your stuff, I wish you would leave mother nature be. You have your own karma to deal with. Don't try to pawn it off on me.

No one plays in my front yard. I'm in the clear. I do spray round up around the perimeter of my backyard. Its either that or ticks though. Mother nature and her wonderful ticks spreading their wonderful lymes disease.

lyme disease is be part of man's tampering with balance of nature. deer would naturally be culled by predators, all of which we deem unacceptable... so good bye wolves, deer population explodes and invades suburban nightmare version of eden.

I am done. Continue playing with your toxins boys! I'll be back in a month or so to see if you have conquered those weeds! ha!

lyme disease is be part of man's tampering with balance of nature. deer would naturally be culled by predators, all of which we deem unacceptable... so good bye wolves, deer population explodes and invades suburban nightmare version of eden.
this sounds like a much bigger problem that's not going to get solved in my lifetime. until it does, i'd rather avoid lymes disease and take my chances that a little roundup is going to give everyone cancer.

this sounds like a much bigger problem that's not going to get solved in my lifetime. until it does, i'd rather avoid lymes disease and take my chances that a little roundup is going to give everyone cancer.
Everything gives you cancer. Air pollution, Round-up, power lines, etc...yet we still live longer and longer and longer.

Everything gives you cancer. Air pollution, Round-up, power lines, etc...yet we still live longer and longer and longer.
tell me about it. once they cure cancer, i'm not sure what the new boogeyman will be.

I guess you think that's a good answer. Cancer rates soar. Enjoy your lawn. I said my piece. You can mock all you want. Doesn't change the facts. Talk to you later. Carry on.

I guess you think that's a good answer. Cancer rates soar. Enjoy your lawn. I said my piece. You can mock all you want. Doesn't change the facts. Talk to you later. Carry on.
Could be a lot of reasons for that. A lot of cancer cases are because people live a lot longer. A lot have to do with obesity which is soaring. A lot have to do with nothing we're talking about like lung cancer and skin cancer.

Yet we still...live....longer.

Oh, and....

I am done. Continue playing with your toxins boys! I'll be back in a month or so to see if you have conquered those weeds! ha!
ETA - OK. I'm done being mean. It really wasn't cool of me. I just really don't like people soap-boxing and telling me what I should and shouldn't be doing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Detaching removes the dead thatch to help promote root growth
I get that, but how well does it perform that job, and how much better will my lawn look after doing it? I plug aerate twice a year and my lawn looks much, much better from doing that. Is dethaching going to improve it more, make it greener, or help eliminate weeds?

It was not my intention to be mean or antagonize. I have strong opinions about this topic. My hope is to open some eyes to the harm we are doing by dumping literally tons of toxic crap into our air and waters. Nature does not stop at the boundary of your back yard gate. Your toxins pollute water tables and air way beyond your territory. If I stepped on your toes I hope you take it as I intended. Not as a diatribe, but as a heads up.

I get that, but how well does it perform that job, and how much better will my lawn look after doing it? I plug aerate twice a year and my lawn looks much, much better from doing that. Is dethaching going to improve it more, make it greener, or help eliminate weeds?
I don't think there is a way to specifically quantify it. De-thattching is just one of those things that, like aeration, is good to do for general lawn maintenance.

The exact effectiveness of aeration and de-thatching will vary greatly based on each individual lawn.

It was not my intention to be mean or antagonize. I have strong opinions about this topic. My hope is to open some eyes to the harm we are doing by dumping literally tons of toxic crap into our air and waters. Nature does not stop at the boundary of your back yard gate. Your toxins pollute water tables and air way beyond your territory. If I stepped on your toes I hope you take it as I intended. Not as a diatribe, but as a heads up.
Haven't you already left twice today?

Also, why are your rants anti-suburbia. Do people in cities not have lawns?

matttyl said:
Untreated thatch. Which I have :bag:

can prevent water and air from reaching the soil. By removing the dead grass and other debris it in theory will keep grass greener and help with disease.

We used to aerate then dethatch.

matttyl said:
Untreated thatch. Which I have :bag:

can prevent water and air from reaching the soil. By removing the dead grass and other debris it in theory will keep grass greener and help with disease.

I would think with a plug aerator, you'd want to do it the other way around.

matttyl said:
belljr said:
matttyl said:
belljr said:
Untreated thatch. Which I have :bag: can prevent water and air from reaching the soil. By removing the dead grass and other debris it in theory will keep grass greener and help with disease.

I would think with a plug aerator, you'd want to do it the other way around.
Nah. You end up with all the plugs lying on the ground right?

When you dethatch it breaks them up.

Just saved on the work :shrug:

Mohawk said:
I get what you're saying, but Roundup is pretty much a necessity if you have a lot of big beds. It's just not practical to pull all those weeds. But I don't see what the big deal is anyway, you spray the weeds just a little bit and they die. There's no runoff. The plant absorbs the poison through the leaves and it dies all the way down to the root. Pretty awesome product actually.

I have a couple of questions:

As I mentioned earlier in the thread, in September I am going to work on some lawn restoration. I intend to rent a de-thatcher and a overseeder (the one where it cuts the ground and drops the seed in the earth as you move) and then spread start fertilizer over the whole lawn (I am overseeding the whole lawn).

1) Should I cut the lawn a bit shorter before doing these two things?

2) Is it ok to do both of these on the same day or is it better to wait in between?

As I mentioned earlier in the thread, in September I am going to work on some lawn restoration. I intend to rent a de-thatcher and a overseeder (the one where it cuts the ground and drops the seed in the earth as you move) and then spread start fertilizer over the whole lawn (I am overseeding the whole lawn).

2) Is it ok to do both of these on the same day or is it better to wait in between?
1) I wouldn't cut any shorter. If anything, I'd leave it long. Longer grass will help the seeds as they will provide more shade for the lawn, keeping the grass seed moist. The biggest enemy to young grass is drying out. After it's had time to establish, cut it a little shorter to let that new grass get a bit more light and grow up with the rest of the yard.

2) I'd do the de-thatch then the overseed in that order. I don't see any need to wait if you won't want to. The dethatching will allow air to circulate down to the new seed and help it grow.

I'd cut it short only b/c you're not going to be mowing it for like 3 weeks while the seeds germinate and your existing grass is going to get really long during that time as you'll be continuously watering it and grass naturally grows a lot in the fall. It will be over a week before any of the seeds sprout so the existing grass will be back to normal height anyway.

I'd cut it short only b/c you're not going to be mowing it for like 3 weeks while the seeds germinate and your existing grass is going to get really long during that time as you'll be continuously watering it and grass naturally grows a lot in the fall. It will be over a week before any of the seeds sprout so the existing grass will be back to normal height anyway.
I just worry about weeds. I keep my grass 4" or longer because as soon as I cut it short for any reason, the weeds find a way to poke through. I see your argument re. the existing grass growing while the seeds germinate though. I guess I'd just rather let it go long. I don't think it's going to make a horrible difference unless there's some huge drought or heat wave or something.

I just worry about weeds. I keep my grass 4" or longer because as soon as I cut it short for any reason, the weeds find a way to poke through. I see your argument re. the existing grass growing while the seeds germinate though. I guess I'd just rather let it go long. I don't think it's going to make a horrible difference unless there's some huge drought or heat wave or something.
Weeds should not be a big issue for me. In my area of the country, weeds don't germinate much after the beginning of September.

However in general, like you, I always believe in cutting my grass to a longer length to help block out weeds during the weed growing seasons.

Weeds should not be a big issue for me. In my area of the country, weeds don't germinate much after the beginning of September.

However in general, like you, I always believe in cutting my grass to a longer length to help block out weeds during the weed growing seasons.
Exactly on both counts. I just cut it short when overseeding.

Cut it very low. Then detatch.

Then seed.

The spread fertilizer.

You can do it all in one day.

The thatcher and the slit seeder are being delivered on Thursday.

This is a week later than I wanted but due to weather issues (mid 90's or a ton of rain) I pushed it off a week.

Today I am going to buy seed (sun/shade blend and a full sun formula) and some starter fertilizer.

On Tuesday I will cut the lawn short and then hand pick out any weeds I see and mark the sprinkler heads.

This is a week later than I wanted but due to weather issues (mid 90's or a ton of rain) I pushed it off a week.

Today I am going to buy seed (sun/shade blend and a full sun formula) and some starter fertilizer.

On Tuesday I will cut the lawn short and then hand pick out any weeds I see and mark the sprinkler heads.
Best of luck! I had some guys take out a big landscaping bed I was tired of dealing with 2 weeks ago...they seeded the area and I was going nuts trying to keep it watered over the last 2 weeks. SO glad that we finally got rain and the 90+ degree days seem to have broken here in NJ. Should have some nice grass by the end of the growing season.

OK here are my early observations on my task

* I was worried about the equipment since the guys at the rental company looked cluless but they both arrived on time and the delivery guy gave a good lesson on how to use them.

* I severely underestimated two things

a) 10 seconds into what turned out to be 2 hours of work, I realized the de-thatcher was not self propelled. The flat areas were fine but I have a lot of hills and the beast is pretty heavy. Lots of huffing and puffing which is why I am in typing this to get a break :)

b) The amount of thatch/dead grass pulled up was huge. I had first thought I would just do a quick rake but looking at how much there is and that I have over an acre to cover, I think I will just fire up my big mower and catch it all. I will have to stop often to dump but it should be much easier than raking. Plus I get in additional cut to keep the grass as low as possible so that I won't have to cut for a while

* The equipment itself looks great. I hope the slice seeder is self propelled else my next update might be from a hospital bed :) Looking at the equipment, I am pretty sure it is NewlyRetired propelled :(

OK here are my early observations on my task

* I was worried about the equipment since the guys at the rental company looked cluless but they both arrived on time and the delivery guy gave a good lesson on how to use them.

* I severely underestimated two things

a) 10 seconds into what turned out to be 2 hours of work, I realized the de-thatcher was not self propelled. The flat areas were fine but I have a lot of hills and the beast is pretty heavy. Lots of huffing and puffing which is why I am in typing this to get a break :)

b) The amount of thatch/dead grass pulled up was huge. I had first thought I would just do a quick rake but looking at how much there is and that I have over an acre to cover, I think I will just fire up my big mower and catch it all. I will have to stop often to dump but it should be much easier than raking. Plus I get in additional cut to keep the grass as low as possible so that I won't have to cut for a while

* The equipment itself looks great. I hope the slice seeder is self propelled else my next update might be from a hospital bed :) Looking at the equipment, I am pretty sure it is NewlyRetired propelled :(
:wall: :wall: :wall:

I was using my mower to pick up the grass and then dump into a tarp.

In after about the 10th tarp full that I dumped in my woods, when walking back to my mower I noticed it was smoking heavily. By the time I made it back it went up like a roman candle :(

I had to call the damn fire department since I did not know what I should do if it was a gas fire.

They came and put it out but as expected it was nuked.

Now I have to rake 2/3rds of the lawn by hand before I can get to the slit seeder part.

grrrrrrrr!!!

Holy hell. Lucky you weren't on that bad boy. Yes, the non-tow behind dethatchers and aerators are absolute beasts to have to push around on a big piece of property. If you're into keeping your lawn nice, the tow behinds are a good investment and they aren't that expensive being there's no engine.

Holy cow. Glad you're OK. That's scary. I had a small pine branch break off on my Zero-turn a few years ago. It wedged down between the frame and the muffler when I backed into one of the pines to turn around. I had no clue it was there, but I kept smelling something burning. It got bad enough for me to finally get off, and when I walked around to the back, the needles were on fire, and the branch was starting to catch too. It wasn't a big fire, but it was about 10 inches from the gas line, and enough to scare me. I was 150 yards from anything and afraid to try and run to the house for water or a tool, so I ended up just burning my hand to pull the branch out as I had no other option.

ok here is a chronology of my day as I have tapped out barely able to walk.

First, my rigorous physical preparation for this task of playing video games and reading comic books might not have been ideal :)

1) Equipment is delivered at 9:00 and I get to work right away

2) 9:00 to 11:00 is nothing but dethatching

3) 11:00 to 11:15 break

4) 11:15 to about 12:20ish, I use my mower to pick up the dead grass pulled by the thatcher

5) 12:20ish mower catches on fire

6) 12:30ish 4 firemen arrive to use what amounted to a squirt bottle to put out the fire.

7) 12:35 to about 2:15, me and the wife rake the rest of the lawn and I haul the heavy mower from the back to the front yard in case I decide to get it fixed. The hauling was awful

8) 2:15 to 2:30 break

9) 2:30 I start slice seeding and either because of the machine or because I am dead tired, I find it VERY hard to move

10) from 2:30 to 4:00pm with multiple breaks I seeded probably a 1/3 of my lawn

11) at 4:00pm I give up and call the rental agency and ask for an extra half day

I am hopeful with a good nights sleep and plenty of drugs I can finish most of what I want to tomorrow.

As for the mower, I am getting the feeling this might have been a message from god. I am only intending to live in this house for a few more years before we downsize and I don't want to buy a new mower. I think this might be the time to get a lawn service.

This is a young and healthy mans game for a lawn my size.

Holy hell. Lucky you weren't on that bad boy. Yes, the non-tow behind dethatchers and aerators are absolute beasts to have to push around on a big piece of property. If you're into keeping your lawn nice, the tow behinds are a good investment and they aren't that expensive being there's no engine.
my mower is a walk behind, looks something like this:

http://i.ebayimg.com/images/i/291464216703-0-1/s-l1000.jpg

It is 18 years old now.

I did notice when checking the rental agency web site that they had a self propelled slit seeder. It was $50 bucks more but had I know I would have got it and it would have been worth it I think.

It is 18 years old now.

I did notice when checking the rental agency web site that they had a self propelled slit seeder. It was $50 bucks more but had I know I would have got it and it would have been worth it I think.
Ah, I see those a lot with the landscapers. I guess they're cheaper than a rider. With an acre of property, I'd be looking at a rider next. Get the pull aerator and de-thatcher and no need for anymore rentals and almost no effort required. Just my 2 cents from a guy that's tried most things when its come to lawn care.

It is 18 years old now.

Ah, I see those a lot with the landscapers. I guess they're cheaper than a rider. With an acre of property, I'd be looking at a rider next. Get the pull aerator and de-thatcher and no need for anymore rentals and almost no effort required. Just my 2 cents from a guy that's tried most things when its come to lawn care.
When I bought it in 1997, it was over $2k which at the time was more expensive than most riders. The landscapers use them because they last significantly longer than the riders (which have a poor maintenance track record over all).

After I finish this task the wife and I will need to decide what we want to do next, whether to get a service or get a new mower (or see if the old beast can be fixed).

NewlyRetired said:
NutterButter said:
NewlyRetired said:
NutterButter said:

It is 18 years old now.

When I bought it in 1997, it was over $2k which at the time was more expensive than most riders. The landscapers use them because they last significantly longer than the riders (which have a poor maintenance track record over all).

After I finish this task the wife and I will need to decide what we want to do next, whether to get a service or get a new mower (or see if the old beast can be fixed).
I guess it makes sense for commercial use where you're cutting a ton of lawns, but a 2k rider today will last you a long time provided you keep up with the maintenance which is pretty straight forward. Service seems like a waste of money for a retired person that certainly has an hour or two to kill each week cutting the lawn. Your dime though so do as you like.

NewlyRetired said:
NutterButter said:
NewlyRetired said:
NutterButter said:

It is 18 years old now.

I guess it makes sense for commercial use where you're cutting a ton of lawns, but a 2k rider today will last you a long time provided you keep up with the maintenance which is pretty straight forward. Service seems like a waste of money for a retired person that certainly has an hour or two to kill each week cutting the lawn. Your dime though so do as you like.
I think the general item we are trying to decide on is like I said above we don't intend to be in the house much longer. Our next house we will be custom building and I will have a very small lawn.

Spending $2k on a rider might not be worth for the 3ish years we have left in the house.

NewlyRetired said:
NutterButter said:
NewlyRetired said:
NutterButter said:

It is 18 years old now.

I think the general item we are trying to decide on is like I said above we don't intend to be in the house much longer. Our next house we will be custom building and I will have a very small lawn.

Spending $2k on a rider might not be worth for the 3ish years we have left in the house.
Get the little foot pedals for your mower and make it a rider

NewlyRetired said:
NutterButter said:
NewlyRetired said:
NutterButter said:

It is 18 years old now.

Gotcha, Missed that part. Enjoy the 3 years of lawn service.

Any advice on getting rid of crabgrass? Is it too late at this point?

When I fertilized twice in the spring, I just used turf builder both times. Had no issues with crabgrass at the time and didn't think about it. Well then in July, it was like my whole neighborhood was attacked by it. And it's really only in certain parts of my yard. Should I just wait it out until the spring at this point?

Any advice on getting rid of crabgrass? Is it too late at this point?

When I fertilized twice in the spring, I just used turf builder both times. Had no issues with crabgrass at the time and didn't think about it. Well then in July, it was like my whole neighborhood was attacked by it. And it's really only in certain parts of my yard. Should I just wait it out until the spring at this point?
Bayer crabgrass killer.....won't damage your grass.

Users who are viewing this thread