What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Lawn Care Tips (1 Viewer)

Is killing dandelions (existing) possible without Roundup, etc.?I saw the tip about corn gluten for prevention, but anything that kills the existing ones?
Scotts Weed & Feed will kill them GB. Getting ready to put down an application this weekend for that very reason.
There could be a problem with this. Depending on how long ago Britney Spears planted his seed, the herbicide in the weed and feed could damage or prevent seedlings from germinating. I'm of the opinion that newly seeded lawns should be allowed to grow-in for at least a full growing season before any chemical applications are made.
Yes, I didn't gather from his post he was talking about a newly seeded lawn. If that's the case then I wouldn't apply weed & feed either. Pull 'em by hand. If it's newly seeded there shouldn't be too many. If it is in an existing lawn then weed & feed is your ticket. Will work great if the grass is damp (think early morning dew) and you have a nice sunny, hot day.
I used to love Honeysuckle when I was a kid. I'm now convinced it is the vilest weed on earth. Its overtaking the entire yard. I'm thinking flamethrower.
We have this crap growing over two ro three pine bushes in our yard. I don't particularly like them so I'm letting the honeysuckle have it's way but I have to trim it back 2-3 times a year to keep it from spreading any further. At some point we want to take the bushes out so the honeysuckle will go to but now it acts as a nice privacy hedge for us.

I used to love Honeysuckle when I was a kid. I'm now convinced it is the vilest weed on earth. Its overtaking the entire yard. I'm thinking flamethrower.
We have this crap growing over two ro three pine bushes in our yard. I don't particularly like them so I'm letting the honeysuckle have it's way but I have to trim it back 2-3 times a year to keep it from spreading any further. At some point we want to take the bushes out so the honeysuckle will go to but now it acts as a nice privacy hedge for us.
We've kept it this long because its great for privacy. But its starting taking over other bushes elsewhere in the yard. I've concluded its time to bite the bullet and rip them out. Which means 1) no privacy and 2) a big dirt spot along the back of the yard. It was also nice having a woodsy area that the dog could do his business in. Now I'll have more area to patrol.

There back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Mushrooms are starting to appear. I go through this every year and they just keep coming back with more friends. I'm located in NW Indiana and we have had our fare share of moisture. Always apply Scotts, yard is a nice dark green well maintained with spots of clover (I'm treating right now with Ortho). Saw some white shrooms last night, ususally don't appear until late June. The next wave will be the small brown ones followed by the big dark brown ones. I'm told it has to do with the soil. Well short of tearing up the yard and replacing the soil does anyone have a remedy to eliminate this things?
Mushrooms are fungus...if they really bother you and you don't want to dig them up...get a fungicide and that will kill them.

Is killing dandelions (existing) possible without Roundup, etc.?I saw the tip about corn gluten for prevention, but anything that kills the existing ones?
Scotts Weed & Feed will kill them GB. Getting ready to put down an application this weekend for that very reason.
There could be a problem with this. Depending on how long ago Britney Spears planted his seed, the herbicide in the weed and feed could damage or prevent seedlings from germinating. I'm of the opinion that newly seeded lawns should be allowed to grow-in for at least a full growing season before any chemical applications are made.
Yes, I didn't gather from his post he was talking about a newly seeded lawn. If that's the case then I wouldn't apply weed & feed either. Pull 'em by hand. If it's newly seeded there shouldn't be too many. If it is in an existing lawn then weed & feed is your ticket. Will work great if the grass is damp (think early morning dew) and you have a nice sunny, hot day.
It's an existing lawn really. We added a bunch of seeds in the areas where it was sparse or was fighting moss. We live in a pretty lush environment, and it seems to have taken really well. The lawn is ultra green, and seems like the moss is dying out, and the missing patches are starting to fill in.I'll try the weed&feed on the areas that are well established...Thanks GBs!

So much work and so little output so far I'm not sure if I want to ;) or :cry:

I have a 25 yard by 35 yard part of my lawn that was hacked on when they built the house about 3 years ago. We just bought it last Fall so this was my first spring to try and revive it.

First tried aerator, de-thatching, fertilizer and seed.. wait two weeks and nothing..

So a week a go Sunday I pulled out the tiller and tilled down about an inch, then dragged a Bed spring around it to level it out, then Planted seed and watered, watered and watered some more.. and today most of it still has no grass growing :hophead:

Tonight I'm going to throw down some Starter fertilizer and one more pass with grass seeds.

If it doesn't work....... :hot: I may give up until next spring and Till down 5 Inches and REALLY turn it over..

Last edited by a moderator:
So much work and so little output so far I'm not sure if I want to :banned: or :D I have a 25 yard by 35 yard part of my lawn that was hacked on when they built the house about 3 years ago. We just bought it last year so this was my first sprint to try and revive it.First tried aerator, de-thatching, fertilizer and seed.. wait two weeks and nothing.. So a week a go Sunday I pulled out the tiller and tilled down about an inch, then dragged a Bed spring around it to level it out, then Planted seed and watered, watered and watered some more.. and today most of it still has no grass growing :lmao:Tonight I'm going to throw down some Starter fertilizer and one more pass with grass seeds. If it doesn't work....... :boxing: I may give up until next spring and Till down 5 Inches and REALLY turn it over..
Snogger - I'm in SE WI. Last year I had a concrete patio installed that was above grade. Just last Sunday, I spread 5 yds of topsoil to grade the new patio down to the existing yard. Like you, I seeded and have been watering 3-5 times/day. Just noticed the sprouts this morning. It's been cool here in WI. With the warm up and sun, you should be seeing results soon. I did put down starter fertilizer as well, so that may have given me a headstart.

So much work and so little output so far I'm not sure if I want to :rant: or :cry: I have a 25 yard by 35 yard part of my lawn that was hacked on when they built the house about 3 years ago. We just bought it last Fall so this was my first spring to try and revive it.First tried aerator, de-thatching, fertilizer and seed.. wait two weeks and nothing.. So a week a go Sunday I pulled out the tiller and tilled down about an inch, then dragged a Bed spring around it to level it out, then Planted seed and watered, watered and watered some more.. and today most of it still has no grass growing :kicksrock:Tonight I'm going to throw down some Starter fertilizer and one more pass with grass seeds. If it doesn't work....... :hot: I may give up until next spring and Till down 5 Inches and REALLY turn it over..
I suspect your problem is only giving it two weeks. Depending on the seed you are using and the climate it can take several weeks to a month to germinate.

So much work and so little output so far I'm not sure if I want to :lmao: or :cry: I have a 25 yard by 35 yard part of my lawn that was hacked on when they built the house about 3 years ago. We just bought it last year so this was my first sprint to try and revive it.First tried aerator, de-thatching, fertilizer and seed.. wait two weeks and nothing.. So a week a go Sunday I pulled out the tiller and tilled down about an inch, then dragged a Bed spring around it to level it out, then Planted seed and watered, watered and watered some more.. and today most of it still has no grass growing :banned:Tonight I'm going to throw down some Starter fertilizer and one more pass with grass seeds. If it doesn't work....... :lmao: I may give up until next spring and Till down 5 Inches and REALLY turn it over..
Snogger - I'm in SE WI. Last year I had a concrete patio installed that was above grade. Just last Sunday, I spread 5 yds of topsoil to grade the new patio down to the existing yard. Like you, I seeded and have been watering 3-5 times/day. Just noticed the sprouts this morning. It's been cool here in WI. With the warm up and sun, you should be seeing results soon. I did put down starter fertilizer as well, so that may have given me a headstart.
I suspect your problem is only giving it two weeks. Depending on the seed you are using and the climate it can take several weeks to a month to germinate.
OK, thanks.. Maybe I was taking the instructions on the grass seed to literally when they said 3-5 days.Guess it has been in the 60's and only a couple days of sun... Maybe I'll throw down the starter ferilizer bag I have and than give it another week. :thumbup:

I need some help and I'll be the first to admit I'm a lawncare noob.

The Mrs and I purchased our first home in November 2008 and had new sod laid then. I soaked in the lawn and got the roots in as deep as possible, but did not fertilize at that point.

Come around to March or so timewise and I'm starting to see more and more weeds. I realize I should have spring fertilized already. I run out to Home Depot and grab a recommended Scotts spring fertilizer for southern lawns (Austin, TX). I laid that down but still saw weeds showing. I wasn't sure, and frankly wasn't able to get a good answer from the store, whether the stuff I put down prevented any new weeds or whether these things popping up had already seeded themselves and the fertilizer would prevent further growth from those yet to take hold.

So we run out and get some weed killer. Admittedly not paying close enough attention to the bottle, we spray and lo and behold we have some dead patches now in the yard because the spray killed weeds and grass.

I'm still having some weeds as an issue, but my primary concern now is getting the grass all back to as green as possible. Could someone give me advice on what to do for these 4-6 inch brown spots scattered throughout the yard? Keep in mind, I'm new at this so Lawncare for Dummies approach please.

If it matters I do have a sprinkler system. Thanks!

I need some help and I'll be the first to admit I'm a lawncare noob.The Mrs and I purchased our first home in November 2008 and had new sod laid then. I soaked in the lawn and got the roots in as deep as possible, but did not fertilize at that point.Come around to March or so timewise and I'm starting to see more and more weeds. I realize I should have spring fertilized already.
Use a pre emergent weed killer before your lawn emerges in the spring, generally about 6 weeks before you are mowing.

Jayded said:
I need some help and I'll be the first to admit I'm a lawncare noob.The Mrs and I purchased our first home in November 2008 and had new sod laid then. I soaked in the lawn and got the roots in as deep as possible, but did not fertilize at that point.Come around to March or so timewise and I'm starting to see more and more weeds. I realize I should have spring fertilized already. I run out to Home Depot and grab a recommended Scotts spring fertilizer for southern lawns (Austin, TX). I laid that down but still saw weeds showing. I wasn't sure, and frankly wasn't able to get a good answer from the store, whether the stuff I put down prevented any new weeds or whether these things popping up had already seeded themselves and the fertilizer would prevent further growth from those yet to take hold.So we run out and get some weed killer. Admittedly not paying close enough attention to the bottle, we spray and lo and behold we have some dead patches now in the yard because the spray killed weeds and grass.I'm still having some weeds as an issue, but my primary concern now is getting the grass all back to as green as possible. Could someone give me advice on what to do for these 4-6 inch brown spots scattered throughout the yard? Keep in mind, I'm new at this so Lawncare for Dummies approach please. If it matters I do have a sprinkler system. Thanks!
Either get some of the lawn patch mix they sell at Lowes or get your own seed, some peat moss and a little straw and apply. I'd tear out as much of the dead grass as possible so you are down to the dirt, but down the peat moss, then the seed....then press the seed into the loose soil and water the crap out of it for 10-14 days. Make sure you keep the soil moist the whole time.

Anyone have any experience with fixing a bumpy yard? I have 2 root causes for the issue, first when the lawn was put in about 8 years ago (seeded) the guy who did it never did a great job of final grading and its always been bumpy. I also have problems with moles/critters every winter so I have a lot of lumps from mole mounds/runs too. I own a lawn roller and use that every year, but it hasn't done much as far as I can tell, but it may be due to the fact its one of the smaller rollers and it may not be heavy enough. I have a little over 1 acre of generally nice thick grass and I have a sprinkler system in place, so a do over seems out of the question at this point.

For any of the bigger low spots, do I topdress to bring things level? Is the general idea to put down a relatively thin covering with something like a drop spreader and lay it on thin enough that the grass can still grow through? Is it preferable to use dirt or sand? If I fixed a few areas like this I think it would be a big improvement.

By the way, anyone who hasn't made the jump to a ZT mower that has a bigger yard really should look into it. I switched from a crap Murray from HD I bought when we got the house to a small commercial Exmark rider and couldn't be happier. Lost 2" in cut width (46" to 44") and still took about 45 mins off the cut time. The cut quality is fantastic too since the blades are running at the OSHA limit for RPM's and it just blows dust out the side even when its a bit long.

Mowing every three days and my lawn is looking damn thick. Usually looks good until about July or August. Always seems to go downhill after I take a vacation.

ETA:

It took me about 5 years to rehab the lawn after I moved in. Previous owner did nothing. We are on a hill with horrible soil, tons of shade, high acidity. We did some major landscaping last year, had about 1/2 of the yard sodded. The old stuff I have been babying all these years is looking just as good as the sod.

One key thing I did, and I only have the luxury of doing this because I have a small yard, is overseed by spreading tons of Scotts seed starter soil over the top. Once I put the time and money in (lugging countless bags of the stuff), it really made a huge difference.

The next big problem I have to tackle involve 2 poor drainage areas. The water runoff is slowly creating patchiness in some of the sodded areas. Landscaper shoulda buried some drain tiles when yard was all dug up. :thumbup: Aerating seems to have helped a little but I think I need two trenches or a trench and drywell.

Never ending battle.

(side note, neighbor on one side noticed the yard was looking good this year. This guy does nothing, cuts his lawn with his weed wacker. So he asks for the details on the aerator I used. Good luck with all that. tt would take him years to fix the mess he created and he would end up cutting his new grass with a weed wacker).

snogger said:
So much work and so little output so far I'm not sure if I want to :goodposting: or :) I have a 25 yard by 35 yard part of my lawn that was hacked on when they built the house about 3 years ago. We just bought it last year so this was my first sprint to try and revive it.First tried aerator, de-thatching, fertilizer and seed.. wait two weeks and nothing.. So a week a go Sunday I pulled out the tiller and tilled down about an inch, then dragged a Bed spring around it to level it out, then Planted seed and watered, watered and watered some more.. and today most of it still has no grass growing :2cents:Tonight I'm going to throw down some Starter fertilizer and one more pass with grass seeds. If it doesn't work....... :clap: I may give up until next spring and Till down 5 Inches and REALLY turn it over..
OK, thanks.. Maybe I was taking the instructions on the grass seed to literally when they said 3-5 days.Guess it has been in the 60's and only a couple days of sun... Maybe I'll throw down the starter ferilizer bag I have and than give it another week. :goodposting:
You're being way too impatient. Most seeds won't germinate until they get some higher temps than that. If you've only had a couple of days of sun then the ground probably isn't warming up enough for them to germinate. If you had 3-5 days in the 80s then you might have sprouts although I'm skeptical, but as is you definitely aren't going to see results that fast.

snogger said:
So much work and so little output so far I'm not sure if I want to :rant: or :cry: I have a 25 yard by 35 yard part of my lawn that was hacked on when they built the house about 3 years ago. We just bought it last year so this was my first sprint to try and revive it.First tried aerator, de-thatching, fertilizer and seed.. wait two weeks and nothing.. So a week a go Sunday I pulled out the tiller and tilled down about an inch, then dragged a Bed spring around it to level it out, then Planted seed and watered, watered and watered some more.. and today most of it still has no grass growing :thumbup:Tonight I'm going to throw down some Starter fertilizer and one more pass with grass seeds. If it doesn't work....... :hot: I may give up until next spring and Till down 5 Inches and REALLY turn it over..
OK, thanks.. Maybe I was taking the instructions on the grass seed to literally when they said 3-5 days.Guess it has been in the 60's and only a couple days of sun... Maybe I'll throw down the starter ferilizer bag I have and than give it another week. :popcorn:
You're being way too impatient. Most seeds won't germinate until they get some higher temps than that. If you've only had a couple of days of sun then the ground probably isn't warming up enough for them to germinate. If you had 3-5 days in the 80s then you might have sprouts although I'm skeptical, but as is you definitely aren't going to see results that fast.
:thanks: again all.. This is the first try of a new yard as my last house had the lawn set by the time we moved in. This house sat for two years after being built with no one taking care of the lawn so it is all new to me. Live & learn, live & learn :suds:

Mowing every three days and my lawn is looking damn thick. Usually looks good until about July or August. Always seems to go downhill after I take a vacation.ETA:It took me about 5 years to rehab the lawn after I moved in. Previous owner did nothing. We are on a hill with horrible soil, tons of shade, high acidity. We did some major landscaping last year, had about 1/2 of the yard sodded. The old stuff I have been babying all these years is looking just as good as the sod.One key thing I did, and I only have the luxury of doing this because I have a small yard, is overseed by spreading tons of Scotts seed starter soil over the top. Once I put the time and money in (lugging countless bags of the stuff), it really made a huge difference.The next big problem I have to tackle involve 2 poor drainage areas. The water runoff is slowly creating patchiness in some of the sodded areas. Landscaper shoulda buried some drain tiles when yard was all dug up. :thumbup: Aerating seems to have helped a little but I think I need two trenches or a trench and drywell.Never ending battle.(side note, neighbor on one side noticed the yard was looking good this year. This guy does nothing, cuts his lawn with his weed wacker. So he asks for the details on the aerator I used. Good luck with all that. tt would take him years to fix the mess he created and he would end up cutting his new grass with a weed wacker).
If only I could get my weed wacker to start, ####### piece of crap. I hear you on the looking bad in July and August but I think mine has more to do with the two months of 100+ degree temps that blast the lawn during those two months, sometime starting even earlier and lasting through September.

It is official, it least in my book.

Dog Rocks are worthless.

My dog is destroying my lawn, spot by spot. He's a small dog too. Must has super potent piss. Past week I have been spraying his morning piss spot, but I am not home every time he goes.

:thumbup:

need to train him to use a litter box (mulched area).

:thumbup:

:banned: again all.. This is the first try of a new yard as my last house had the lawn set by the time we moved in. This house sat for two years after being built with no one taking care of the lawn so it is all new to me. Live & learn, live & learn :banned:
Quick update..We have lift off!! :thumbup: All the bare areas from tilling are showing life and lots and lots of new grass! :thumbup: :lmao:

It is official, it least in my book.Dog Rocks are worthless.My dog is destroying my lawn, spot by spot. He's a small dog too. Must has super potent piss. Past week I have been spraying his morning piss spot, but I am not home every time he goes.:thumbup:need to train him to use a litter box (mulched area). :unsure:
Biting the bullet and training him to pee in a big mulched area. so far so good, hopefully the wife and kids will cooperate and enforce.

Mowing every three days and my lawn is looking damn thick. Usually looks good until about July or August. Always seems to go downhill after I take a vacation.

ETA:

It took me about 5 years to rehab the lawn after I moved in. Previous owner did nothing. We are on a hill with horrible soil, tons of shade, high acidity. We did some major landscaping last year, had about 1/2 of the yard sodded. The old stuff I have been babying all these years is looking just as good as the sod.

One key thing I did, and I only have the luxury of doing this because I have a small yard, is overseed by spreading tons of Scotts seed starter soil over the top. Once I put the time and money in (lugging countless bags of the stuff), it really made a huge difference.

The next big problem I have to tackle involve 2 poor drainage areas. The water runoff is slowly creating patchiness in some of the sodded areas. Landscaper shoulda buried some drain tiles when yard was all dug up. :thumbup: Aerating seems to have helped a little but I think I need two trenches or a trench and drywell.

Never ending battle.

(side note, neighbor on one side noticed the yard was looking good this year. This guy does nothing, cuts his lawn with his weed wacker. So he asks for the details on the aerator I used. Good luck with all that. tt would take him years to fix the mess he created and he would end up cutting his new grass with a weed wacker).
I feel your pain. This is what I have to deal with, it's gets Moss in the area and the trees just suck up everything.

Was with my phone so not a great pic. Finally looking good, that was 2 days after mowing.

Does weed and feed kill the grass seed that have not germinated yet?
Depends on if it has halts/dimensia etc.Some stuff you can put down and still try to germinate seed
It is Scotts Weed control. Right now my lawn is looking great and almost zero weeds..but the lawn is seeding right now as well. I would hate to kill all the natural seed.

ETA:

Never ending battle.

I feel your pain. This is what I have to deal with, it's gets Moss in the area and the trees just suck up everything.

Was with my phone so not a great pic. Finally looking good, that was 2 days after mowing.
looks good Bell.Thinking about digging my drain pit this weekend. It will be back breaking as the landing my house was built on was blasted into the side of a hill. All rock. Badtimes.

Depends on if it has halts/dimensia etc.Some stuff you can put down and still try to germinate seed
It is Scotts Weed control. Right now my lawn is looking great and almost zero weeds..but the lawn is seeding right now as well. I would hate to kill all the natural seed.
Which one? The spray? Weed and Feed .....It really depends on what you put down

This definitely won't allow grass to grow

http://www.scotts.com/smg/catalog/productT...amp;id=cat50016

ETA:

The next big problem I have to tackle involve 2 poor drainage areas. The water runoff is slowly creating patchiness in some of the sodded areas. Landscaper shoulda buried some drain tiles when yard was all dug up. :rant: Aerating seems to have helped a little but I think I need two trenches or a trench and drywell.

Never ending battle.

looks good Bell.Thinking about digging my drain pit this weekend. It will be back breaking as the landing my house was built on was blasted into the side of a hill. All rock. Badtimes.
Back in the shadows is some thin spots where the moss over powers, each year i lime, dig out the moss, and seed, and each year it gets a little better.I also changed from a blue/rye mix to fescue. It doesn't look as nice but it's easier keep and grows better in the soil around my yard.

What type of grass do you guys recommend reseeding with? My yard is well established, but over the past few years it has been getting more and more different types of grass and various weeds. I don't know jack about grass, but is there a good brand that is low maintenance?

I keep getting these things in the mail about some type of grass that is supposed to be super soft and super aggressive. Apparently it will take over the entire lawn. I think it starts with a Z or something.

TIA

PS I live in Maryland, so we get all four seasons and lots of humidity if it makes a difference.

What type of grass do you guys recommend reseeding with? My yard is well established, but over the past few years it has been getting more and more different types of grass and various weeds. I don't know jack about grass, but is there a good brand that is low maintenance? I keep getting these things in the mail about some type of grass that is supposed to be super soft and super aggressive. Apparently it will take over the entire lawn. I think it starts with a Z or something. TIAPS I live in Maryland, so we get all four seasons and lots of humidity if it makes a difference.
Bluegrass does well in colder areas but it has a shallow root base. It's nicer but requires more maintenance.Fescue is probably the lowest maintenance but it's not as nice.If you keep up with it a little just get a blue, rye, fescue mix. Dont' get Zoysia grass, it's the worst.

You have zero weeds and new seed. Absolutely no reason to put weed and feed down. If you're due for another application of fertilizer, just get starter for the whole yard or get the regular turfbuilder without any of the additives.

What type of grass do you guys recommend reseeding with? My yard is well established, but over the past few years it has been getting more and more different types of grass and various weeds. I don't know jack about grass, but is there a good brand that is low maintenance? I keep getting these things in the mail about some type of grass that is supposed to be super soft and super aggressive. Apparently it will take over the entire lawn. I think it starts with a Z or something. TIAPS I live in Maryland, so we get all four seasons and lots of humidity if it makes a difference.
Try to match what you already have.What you're referring to is Zoysia. Forget it.

You have zero weeds and new seed. Absolutely no reason to put weed and feed down. If you're due for another application of fertilizer, just get starter for the whole yard or get the regular turfbuilder without any of the additives.
:thumbdown:I have this issue, reseeded a few spots. NOW i remember why i have like 6 different bags of fert in my garage.

experimenting with some peat moss in my areas of clay/compaction/poor drainage. so far so good. Likely will end up with shallow roots in those areas, but it is better than hard dead bare spots.

I filled in some bare spots on my lawn including those that were damaged by snowplows. I used a fescue/ryegrass/kentucky bluegrass blend. http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores...uctId=100117045

The spots filled in very nicely, but the problem I have now is that the color of the new grass is much lighter than the existing grass, so it looks kind of bad. Any ideas/recommendations?
It will darken as it feeds and matures.
That's what I was thinking, but it has been almost 3 months now. Meanwhile, my neighbors who filled in their bare spots from the plows have grass that matches the rest of their lawn and they seeded later than I did.

I went with the Regular Turf Builder and the lawn is still looking great. Getting a few weeds here and there, and some other leafy looking stuff popping up but I can treat that with a spray. If it gets out of hand I will use the scotts weed control next time. By then the grass seed will all be germinated.

What is the best way to kill crabgrass?
go back in time and kill its mother
This is the correct answer but in case your time machine is down try Image Crabgrass Killer. Just be careful with it. It doesn't differentiate well between anything else and crabgrass.Another method, assuming you don't have a field to kill and just need to treat spots is to dig it up. Then you know it's gone, immediately backfill with some good soil and grass seed.

Anyone know of a good online weed identifier where you can browse photos?

I've got something new sprouting up all over my lawn this year that I don't think I've ever seen before. Almost looks like little tree sapplings. I thought it was poison ivy or oak at first but it's only two opposing leaves and not three.

Anyone know of a good online weed identifier where you can browse photos?I've got something new sprouting up all over my lawn this year that I don't think I've ever seen before. Almost looks like little tree sapplings. I thought it was poison ivy or oak at first but it's only two opposing leaves and not three.
I got something like that too. Also clover with these small white flower type weeds coming up strong lately.Is it too late too put down the scotts fertilizer with weed killer, I waited this year b/c we reseeded an area where the previous owners had sand for a swing set (sand removed now and grass growing well) and did not want to mess up the growing new grass.

Anyone know of a good online weed identifier where you can browse photos?I've got something new sprouting up all over my lawn this year that I don't think I've ever seen before. Almost looks like little tree sapplings. I thought it was poison ivy or oak at first but it's only two opposing leaves and not three.
I got something like that too. Also clover with these small white flower type weeds coming up strong lately.Is it too late too put down the scotts fertilizer with weed killer, I waited this year b/c we reseeded an area where the previous owners had sand for a swing set (sand removed now and grass growing well) and did not want to mess up the growing new grass.
I don't think it's too late, depending on when your last fertilizer application was. But you may be better off spot spraying if it's not too bad. I'm not a big fan of the fertilizer with the weed killer in them.

When you fertilize do not use the standard cow manure fertilizer that you and every neighbor within a 1/4 mile can smell for 4 days. Instead use WORM CASTINGS!!! They actually do a better job of fertilizing and actually repair the soil and they make the nutrients in the soil more readily available to the plant. You will use less water as a result.

What is the best way to kill crabgrass?
go back in time and kill its mother
This is the correct answer but in case your time machine is down try Image Crabgrass Killer. Just be careful with it. It doesn't differentiate well between anything else and crabgrass.Another method, assuming you don't have a field to kill and just need to treat spots is to dig it up. Then you know it's gone, immediately backfill with some good soil and grass seed.
Dust Baking Soda on the crab grass will kill it off without damaging the surrounding grass. It works...

I filled in some bare spots on my lawn including those that were damaged by snowplows. I used a fescue/ryegrass/kentucky bluegrass blend. http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores...uctId=100117045

The spots filled in very nicely, but the problem I have now is that the color of the new grass is much lighter than the existing grass, so it looks kind of bad. Any ideas/recommendations?
It will darken as it feeds and matures.
That's what I was thinking, but it has been almost 3 months now. Meanwhile, my neighbors who filled in their bare spots from the plows have grass that matches the rest of their lawn and they seeded later than I did.
I'd continue to put down starter fert and water the crap out of it. It will come around. Depending on your acidity levels, you may have to add some lime to neutralize the soil a bit. Putting lime down either way, won't hurt the grass.

Users who are viewing this thread