What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Tiger Woods (2 Viewers)

I can't spend any more time in this thread. I'm off to watch people race a new, popular romhack of a video game created 25 years ago.

Which to me is more entertaining than golf without larger than life stars.

A lot of people found it boring and stopped watching. :shrug:  
Oh really?  People are saying?  The best people?  :rolleyes:

When people stop watching a sport, it gets relegated to another network.  See horse racing or boxing as an example.  Did that happen with golf?  No.  We even have the Golf Network....thriving while Tiger was in rehab or whatever.  

I can't spend any more time in this thread. I'm off to watch people race a new, popular romhack of a video game created 25 years ago.

Which to me is more entertaining than golf without larger than life stars.
You had stuff to do several hours ago.  This was it?  Good christ....

Yes, let's cultivate more serial cheaters, drug users and drunk drivers!  Hoooooray!!!!!
I don't think it's that GB, but everyone deserves a second chance. He screwed up, admitted it and moved on. I mean everyone has done something stupid in their lifetime, most aren't under a magnifying glass the size of Texas.

When people stop watching a sport, it gets relegated to another network.  See horse racing or boxing as an example.  Did that happen with golf?  No.  We even have the Golf Network....thriving while Tiger was in rehab or whatever.  
I recognize it’s just anecdotal, but how many dudes have popped into this thread alone to say “I saw Tiger was in contention, so I watched golf today for the first time in a decade”?  Nobody’s going “oh sweet, Dustin Johnson is doing well today, I’m gonna go home and check out golf.”

I also find it a little unreasonable to get this mad about a celebrity doing drugs and cheating on his wife.  Really?

First link doing a search

https://www.pga.com/news/golf-buzz/tiger-effects-leads-highest-pga-tour-ratings-in-5-years

Like I said, you’ve had some weird takes on Tiger today, you must really hate him.  At least Sinn is obviously trolling, maybe you are just superior at it than him and you got me.

I also find it a little unreasonable to get this mad about a celebrity doing drugs and cheating on his wife.  Really?
I'm not the least bit mad.  

Just find it awkward that grown me still worship an awful human being and mediocre golfer like Woods.  But to each their own.  

Guess drunk driving is cool now.....

Golf needs to work on cultivating more Tigers if they want more mainstream attention going to anyone not named Tiger Woods.

All sports do. I can't for one second blame the MLB commish for his comments about Mike Trout's personal brand; it would be great for baseball if the average schmoe knew about Trout.
I don't want to cloud up this thread - but this is crazy. MLB has nobody to blame but themselves. They hate their fans. Everything they do (youtube, blackout rules, etc.) makes it harder for fans to have access to their game and their stars.

Note to the board: do NOT disparage Tiger Woods.  Good god....beyond reproach.  
I think some Tiger fans are aggravated about how today went down.  Had he had a good day, never gotten the lead, and finished a few back, it would have been easy to take the "if a few shots drop a different way, he could have won!" stance, but because he took the lead and then blew it, they are not handling it well. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I think some Tiger fans are aggravated about how today went down.  Had he had a good day, never gotten the lead, and finished a few back, it would have been easy to take the "if a few shots drop a different way, he could have won!" stance, but because he took the lead and then blew it, they are not handling it well. 
Maybe they just don't like having what they said misrepresented.

Be a fanboi......lord knows golf needs more of you to survive.
Dude I’ve been a golf fan for 15 years. Watched every major even when Tiger wasn’t in them. I would contend golf has been its strongest in 30 years between 2015-2018 w/out him. 

With him?  Oh my it moves the needle. Whether you or I like it. 

I'm not the least bit mad.  

Just find it awkward that grown me still worship an awful human being and mediocre golfer like Woods.  But to each their own.  

Guess drunk driving is cool now.....
Is that the part that makes you most mad about it?  You’ve mentioned it a couple times. Do you get this mad at the many other professional athletes who’ve done that?  Do you think he apologized and has tried to make up for his mistakes in life?

Just weird to see someone so mad at a pro athlete like this. 

Not sure anyone in here is “worshiping” him, any more than we do any other pro athlete. He made a pretty dry sport fun to watch in the way he dominated it. And it would be a miraculous comeback story to see him on top of the game again. Redemption stories like that are fun to root for. This really isn’t all that complicated. Especially when—as is clear from this thread alone—many people literally watch the sport only because of him (and won’t watch much or any of it without him). 

As an admitted tiger fan, I thought today went down pretty awesome. He led for a while and almost won a major. That’s pretty cool. :shrug:  

The only part we aren’t handling well is Sinn refusing to eat the crow he deserves. His about face from yesterday to today is one of the more embarrassing things I’ve seen in a sports thread around here.  Yes, he was in the hunt, as evidenced by the fact that he was IN THE LEAD today.  Did he win?  No, but nobody was saying he would win.  We were saying he was in contention.

again, none of this is very complicated 

Is that the part that makes you most mad about it?  You’ve mentioned it a couple times. Do you get this mad at the many other professional athletes who’ve done that?  Do you think he apologized and has tried to make up for his mistakes in life?

Just weird to see someone so mad at a pro athlete like this. 

Not sure anyone in here is “worshiping” him, any more than we do any other pro athlete. He made a pretty dry sport fun to watch in the way he dominated it. And it would be a miraculous comeback story to see him on top of the game again. Redemption stories like that are fun to root for. This really isn’t all that complicated. Especially when—as is clear from this thread alone—many people literally watch the sport only because of him (and won’t watch much or any of it without him). 
You're wearing a Tiger golf short right now, aren't you?

:lmao:

Fanboi.....

It's all good, Oat.  I hope Tiger comes through for you, I really do.  Would never bet that way but I am rooting for you.  

Dude I’ve been a golf fan for 15 years. Watched every major even when Tiger wasn’t in them. I would contend golf has been its strongest in 30 years between 2015-2018 w/out him. 

With him?  Oh my it moves the needle. Whether you or I like it. 
15 years???  :lmao:

I have shoes, shirts and kids that old.  I've been watching golf since the late 70s.  Golf was fine before Tiger, was fine during Tiger and will be just fine when he's gone.

The #### you think these country clubs are built upon?  The swimming pools?  Jesus, boys.....Tiger didn't invent nor re-invent golf.  He was just good at it for a while.  

Y'all act like Ben Hogan or Jack or Palmer had no bearing on the sport but suddenly......TIGER!

You're wearing a Tiger golf short right now, aren't you?

Fanboi.....

It's all good, Oat.  I hope Tiger comes through for you, I really do.  Would never bet that way but I am rooting for you.  
Wish I had a Tiger shirt. 

And by the way, I don’t root for him due to my zoonation bet (I know Sinn keeps suggesting that’s the case). I root for him because it’s damn fun to root for him when he’s in the running and I’d like to see him dominate the sport again, because that would be a bad ### sports story. I really don’t care about the l00t. 

As an admitted tiger fan, I thought today went down pretty awesome. He led for a while and almost won a major. That’s pretty cool. :shrug:  

The only part we aren’t handling well is Sinn refusing to eat the crow he deserves. His about face from yesterday to today is one of the more embarrassing things I’ve seen in a sports thread around here.  Yes, he was in the hunt, as evidenced by the fact that he was IN THE LEAD today.  Did he win?  No, but nobody was saying he would win.  We were saying he was in contention.

again, none of this is very complicated 
Was he in the outright lead or just tied with a few others?  Serious question....

Wish I had a Tiger shirt. 

And by the way, I don’t root for him due to my zoonation bet (I know Sinn keeps suggesting that’s the case). I root for him because it’s damn fun to root for him when he’s in the running and I’d like to see him dominate the sport again, because that would be a bad ### sports story. I really don’t care about the l00t. 
Oh, ok.....

You care.  Jesus, oat....lie to women, but not us.

15 years???  :lmao:

I have shoes, shirts and kids that old.  I've been watching golf since the late 70s.  Golf was fine before Tiger, was fine during Tiger and will be just fine when he's gone.

The #### you think these country clubs are built upon?  The swimming pools?  Jesus, boys.....Tiger didn't invent nor re-invent golf.  He was just good at it for a while.  

Y'all act like Ben Hogan or Jack or Palmer had no bearing on the sport but suddenly......TIGER!

Sorry I’m 35. What the #### is wrong with you?  What exactly are you arguing?

I played golf from the age of 10. I started watching golf in 1997 because guess what?  I was 14 and that’s when I started taking golf seriously and played single digit in high school. Just got done playing 9 holes with my 10yo daughter. I’ve been a golf fan my whole life. 

So yes my adult spectating life has overlapped Tigers run. I don’t see how that’s relevant. 

You want me to fall all over myself screaming about Tigers faults?  I agree with you there. Not sure how it makes you feel better to call anyone a ‘fanboy’ just because they think it’s a fantastic story that he’s back in the hunt in a major. 

What EXACTLY is so far up your ### you are still arguing about it at 6:18 PDT? 

Please limit your response to things I have actually said. Straw man whining is bull####. I’ve never defended Tiger’s personal decisions or his conduct on the course. 

Sure, I will admit I watched the last round today pretty much from start to finish. Mostly turned it on because I woke up early and there was not much else on. Then Tiger made it interesting and I hung around. Then there were so many guys still in down the stretch that I stuck it out. I haven't watched that much golf in at least the last 10 years added together.

As for GM putting Tiger out to pasture, before this year, Woods played 1 tournament in the past two seasons. Kind of hard to win when you aren't playing. He played in 19 tournaments total in 2014-2017, had 1 Top 10 finish, and had a total of $550K in tournament earnings.

The stats I listed earlier didn't include today. He's had 5 Top 10 finishes in 13 tournaments this year to go along with an 11th and a 12th and has won $2.2 million in prize money. The prize money list hasn't been updated after today yet, but Woods should be around Top 40 in earnings playing in a third to half the tournaments what other players have played in.

I happen to think Woods is still getting his game back after a lengthy layoff. How many athletes have returned after a 4 year absence and multiple surgeries in any sport and come back competitive? If people want to call Tiger done, so be it. My life won't change any, so bash away.

I get and appreciate the fishing, you have a few on the hook.  :thumbup:

But this should be set straight.. Jack, Palmer and Hogan were all time great golfers.  Tiger is on another level.  Tiger was (still is but to a lesser extent) bigger than golf.  

It is a farce to compare mere good golfers (mortals) to Tigers greatness as a force in the lives we have lived (forget golf).  Really only one athlete in history to put in the same sentence with him.

Sorry I’m 35. What the #### is wrong with you?  What exactly are you arguing?

I played golf from the age of 10. I started watching golf in 1997 because guess what?  I was 14 and that’s when I started taking golf seriously and played single digit in high school. Just got done playing 9 holes with my 10yo daughter. I’ve been a golf fan my whole life. 

So yes my adult spectating life has overlapped Tigers run. I don’t see how that’s relevant. 

You want me to fall all over myself screaming about Tigers faults?  I agree with you there. Not sure how it makes you feel better to call anyone a ‘fanboy’ just because they think it’s a fantastic story that he’s back in the hunt in a major. 

What EXACTLY is so far up your ### you are still arguing about it at 6:18 PDT? 

Please limit your response to things I have actually said. Straw man whining is bull####. I’ve never defended Tiger’s personal decisions or his conduct on the course. 

Fella, take the bet or don't.  No need for theatrics.  Calm down, Betty. 

I get and appreciate the fishing, you have a few on the hook.  :thumbup:

But this should be set straight.. Jack, Palmer and Hogan were all time great golfers.  Tiger is on another level.  Tiger was (still is but to a lesser extent) bigger than golf.  

It is a farce to compare mere good golfers (mortals) to Tigers greatness as a force in the lives we have lived (forget golf).  Really only one athlete in history to put in the same sentence with him.
Meh...Jack had far worse equipment. And worse golf balls.

Oh, and he didn't have steroids either

Users who are viewing this thread