What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Greg Jennings (1 Viewer)

hotlanta

Footballguy
I don't think I can continue to put him in my lineup and get burned week after week. Is it time to say that Driver has taken over the #1 receiver role (something I've never seen happen where a 30 something takes back his job) and Jennings is officially gone the way of Michael Clayton?

For me, the answer is yes. I made a couple trades in the leagues where I owned Jennings; one for Driver and one for Ward. Bench meet Jennings; Greg meet bench.

There have been a lot of discussions on this, but here's my conclusion (as an owner and a guy who traded for him earlier this year):

His catches totals are way up - that's very good.

he's healthy - that's good.

But the TD's are going to Driver and the TE's - that's the problem.

And the role that used to belong to Jennings as a rookie, the deep threat with the big plays, now belongs to Jones, who also is getting TD's.

The main league I have him in is 0.5 PPR, so that's a bonus because he's been getting 5-8 catches a game.

I got him for the 5 game stretch he's been in, including 4 so far - DET, CLE, MIn, TB - and so far he's 1 of 4 there. DAL's D is up and they've gotten better and DET is also coming up, which would be a good matchup for anybody.

I would say trade him if you can, but last week was better for that, and I don't know who you would pick up off the WW who is worth it at this stage. If you can bench him do so but my starters are nothing awesome to begin with....

He's no Clayton though.

Last edited by a moderator:
I traded for this guy about 4 weeks ago as a great buy low canidate. Well since then he is a buy lower canidate. :lmao: Will he ever bust out? Or will he continue to be an after thought because Rodgers can not get enough time for jenning's routes to develop???

I traded for this guy about 4 weeks ago as a great buy low canidate. Well since then he is a buy lower canidate. :confused: Will he ever bust out? Or will he continue to be an after thought because Rodgers can not get enough time for jenning's routes to develop???
I did the same - bought low before the GB vs. MIN game and was rather pleased that; however, I expected much more for the TB game. I'm not really sure what to do with him now - I don't want to sell him lower, but I do not have the confidence to start him now, even with good matchups.

Driver 66 targets, Jennings 60 targets. When Jennings is targeted in or around the endzone the pass has usually been tough to catch.

His last TD week 8: http://www.nfl.com/videos/green-bay-packer.../Rodgers-3rd-TD including pass interenference on the play. Of course, on this play Rodgers didn't hold the ball forever. He threw to the spot and Jennings made a great grab.

Aganist Tampa Bay, Rodgers threw into triple coverage for Jennings and Jennings did actually get his hands on the ball and should have come down with it.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/tampa-bay-buccan...-plays-Buc-ball

4 defenders actually converge on the pass vs Jennings.

Good job Rodgers. :thumbup:

:rolleyes: at the Michael Clayton comparison.
I see the comparisons: Clayton 2007-2009, 72 catches, 960 yards and a TDJennings 2009, 60 catches, 505 yards, 2 TD's.See, very much the same. By the end of this season Jennnings will pass Clayton's numbers for 3 years. :lmao:

My two cents.

The problem has been mostly play calling. They are not playing to Jannings' strengths right now. When he's at his best, Green Bay runs the short passing game to him, and he makes plays after the catch. This in turn sets up double moves later in the game. It seems this season they're content to just wing it down the field to him, rather than setting anything.

As a whole, the Green Bay passing game looks inpatient. Like they'd rather go big play than sustain drives with the short passing game. That has cost them big time. I hope McCarthy gets it together, but I'm not optimistic.

My two cents.The problem has been mostly play calling. They are not playing to Jannings' strengths right now. When he's at his best, Green Bay runs the short passing game to him, and he makes plays after the catch. This in turn sets up double moves later in the game. It seems this season they're content to just wing it down the field to him, rather than setting anything.As a whole, the Green Bay passing game looks inpatient. Like they'd rather go big play than sustain drives with the short passing game. That has cost them big time. I hope McCarthy gets it together, but I'm not optimistic.
I admit I haven't been able to watch every game, but where is the patented quick slant?

My two cents.

The problem has been mostly play calling. They are not playing to Jannings' strengths right now. When he's at his best, Green Bay runs the short passing game to him, and he makes plays after the catch. This in turn sets up double moves later in the game. It seems this season they're content to just wing it down the field to him, rather than setting anything.

As a whole, the Green Bay passing game looks inpatient. Like they'd rather go big play than sustain drives with the short passing game. That has cost them big time. I hope McCarthy gets it together, but I'm not optimistic.
The only thing he is going to need to get together is his belongings when they show him the door because the playcalling totally blows.

My two cents.The problem has been mostly play calling. They are not playing to Jannings' strengths right now. When he's at his best, Green Bay runs the short passing game to him, and he makes plays after the catch. This in turn sets up double moves later in the game. It seems this season they're content to just wing it down the field to him, rather than setting anything.As a whole, the Green Bay passing game looks inpatient. Like they'd rather go big play than sustain drives with the short passing game. That has cost them big time. I hope McCarthy gets it together, but I'm not optimistic.
I admit I haven't been able to watch every game, but where is the patented quick slant?
Nobody knows. They must have scrapped that play because it worked.

I see the comparisons: Clayton 2007-2009, 72 catches, 960 yards and a TDJennings 2009, 60 catches, 505 yards, 2 TD's.See, very much the same. By the end of this season Jennnings will pass Clayton's numbers for 3 years. :lmao:
I do not think he was trying to compare just the numbers just their eerily similar drop off in production. He could have used a different player but Michael Clayton was a easy one to choose.

Nobody knows. They must have scrapped that play because it worked.
Exactly.I know toward the end of last season, they were talking about how defenses were scheming to stop it. And it did show up a bit where dbs were jumping slants. However, they seem to have totally abandoned it. I have no explanation.

Its really pretty simple. The offensive line blows.

For all the talk about Driver, he's only averaging 17 more yards per game than Jennings. i.e. not so much difference that it can't change over the 2nd half of the season.

I do think Jennings is a great buy low in dynasty. Not so sure about redraft.

Driver 66 targets, Jennings 60 targets. When Jennings is targeted in or around the endzone the pass has usually been tough to catch.

His last TD week 8: http://www.nfl.com/videos/green-bay-packer.../Rodgers-3rd-TD including pass interenference on the play. Of course, on this play Rodgers didn't hold the ball forever. He threw to the spot and Jennings made a great grab.

Aganist Tampa Bay, Rodgers threw into triple coverage for Jennings and Jennings did actually get his hands on the ball and should have come down with it.

Good job Rodgers. :shrug:
The play in Tampa was a terrible effort by Jennings but in my opinion is indicative of Jennings play this season. He is simply not a physical player - will not go and get the ball like you expect a #1WR to do. This play should have been a touchdown, and would have been had it been Driver or any one of a couple dozen of the large, physical WR's that are starting for other teams in the NFL. I was watching the WR's quite a bit at Lambeau during the Vikings game and would say that, even though Jennings caught 7 balls that night, Driver looked much better. In my opininion, Rice was by far the most impressive WR on the field that day and I would easily take him, Berrian and Harvin over Jennings, Driver and Jones/Nelson - no question.

Rodgers is about throwing to the open guy -- NOT the playmakers. Jennings is the one that gets doubled thus Rodgers especially around the endzone looks elsewhere.

Granted he should tryn and get it to Jennings more often as Jennings is the teams #1 playmaker but around the endzone he is right -- you need to throw to the open player not force it. I own Jennings

Good job Rodgers. :(
The play in Tampa was a terrible effort by Jennings but in my opinion is indicative of Jennings play this season. He is simply not a physical player - will not go and get the ball like you expect a #1WR to do. This play should have been a touchdown, and would have been had it been Driver or any one of a couple dozen of the large, physical WR's that are starting for other teams in the NFL. I was watching the WR's quite a bit at Lambeau during the Vikings game and would say that, even though Jennings caught 7 balls that night, Driver looked much better. In my opininion, Rice was by far the most impressive WR on the field that day and I would easily take him, Berrian and Harvin over Jennings, Driver and Jones/Nelson - no question.
And that's the point. He's being totally misused. It's not like he suddenly became this guy. He's always been this guy. In the past, they put him in positions to make plays. Throw shorter routes, and let him use his quickness to make guys miss in the open field. Then once the DBs start biting on that, throw the double move at them.That is what they should be doing with Jennings, not making him run vertical across the middle of the field every play.

He's an explosive player that needs to be put in the correct position to make plays.

:coffee: at the Michael Clayton comparison.
I see the comparisons: Clayton 2007-2009, 72 catches, 960 yards and a TDJennings 2009, 60 catches, 505 yards, 2 TD's.

See, very much the same. By the end of this season Jennnings will pass Clayton's numbers for 3 years. :lmao:
I do not think he was trying to compare just the numbers just their eerily similar drop off in production. He could have used a different player but Michael Clayton was a easy one to choose.
:( numbers=production

:shrug:

Good job Rodgers. :lmao:
How quickly we forget. Jennings had 1292/8 and 920/12 seasons from the last two years. He's got sick ball skills, and has proven that time and again. Yes, he should have caught that one in Tampa. Do you see Randy Moss catch every one? I watched Vontae Davis high point one on him just this past weekend. I don't watch every Minnesota game, but its my guess that Rice may not have been perfect so far, and caught every ball thrown his way. :popcorn: Rice is on pace for 1170/4. Berrian 598/6. Harvin 738/6. Total of 2506/16

Driver is on pace for 1226/8. Jennings 1010/4. Jones 526/6. Total of 2762/18

Meanwhile, the Minnesota QB gets to play behind a fortress, while Rodgers gets killed behind that sieve weekly.

I'd like to see the Minnesota WRs actually prove something over the course of time.

Rodgers lacks a few things but the biggest is Guts. he is so scared that he might throw a pick that he would rather take a sack. I am not saying that you should NEVER take a sack but there needs to be a medium where you have to trust in your ability to squeeze a ball into a small window. He never does that.

#2 is a bad oline, but if he didnt hold the ball so long we would have half as many sacks.

#3 - playcalling - the team is not playing to their strengths in the passing game, like quick slants, WR screens, and RB screens.

Its really pretty simple. The offensive line blows. For all the talk about Driver, he's only averaging 17 more yards per game than Jennings. i.e. not so much difference that it can't change over the 2nd half of the season. I do think Jennings is a great buy low in dynasty. Not so sure about redraft.
This is my take as well. He's still young and talented. Driver's resurgence stat-wise looks more to me like a gameplan shift or adjustment than it does a problem with Jennings. The upside is you can probably get Jennings cheaper next year in redraft or trade for him this offseason in dynasty when he could be primed for an upswing in 2010.Funny thing is, I thought I was on to something week 1 with Holmes and Jennings as my starters. My how things have turned. If it weren't for my picks of Rice, MSW and Austin, I'd be so screwed at WR now I wouldn't be in the playoff picture.

:lmao: at the Michael Clayton comparison.
I see the comparisons: Clayton 2007-2009, 72 catches, 960 yards and a TDJennings 2009, 60 catches, 505 yards, 2 TD's.See, very much the same. By the end of this season Jennnings will pass Clayton's numbers for 3 years. :thumbup:
David Boston works better IMO. For those of us that go back a ways, remember when he was a 2nd/3rd round pick (just like Jennings) and was absolutely droppable by mid-season? Thankfully I didn't draft him...

Rodgers lacks a few things but the biggest is Guts. he is so scared that he might throw a pick that he would rather take a sack. I am not saying that you should NEVER take a sack but there needs to be a medium where you have to trust in your ability to squeeze a ball into a small window. He never does that. #2 is a bad oline, but if he didnt hold the ball so long we would have half as many sacks. #3 - playcalling - the team is not playing to their strengths in the passing game, like quick slants, WR screens, and RB screens.
I agree with this take. Rodgers/playcalling are the culprits IMO. He's just not getting the type of opportunities that he can do the most with, and it is partly Rodgers, partly play calling.

Good job Rodgers. :thumbup:
And that's the point. He's being totally misused. It's not like he suddenly became this guy. He's always been this guy. In the past, they put him in positions to make plays. Throw shorter routes, and let him use his quickness to make guys miss in the open field. Then once the DBs start biting on that, throw the double move at them.That is what they should be doing with Jennings, not making him run vertical across the middle of the field every play.

He's an explosive player that needs to be put in the correct position to make plays.
You nailed it. That doesn't make it any easier as a Jennings owner, though...

I see the comparisons: Clayton 2007-2009, 72 catches, 960 yards and a TDJennings 2009, 60 catches, 505 yards, 2 TD's.See, very much the same. By the end of this season Jennnings will pass Clayton's numbers for 3 years. :bag:
David Boston works better IMO. For those of us that go back a ways, remember when he was a 2nd/3rd round pick (just like Jennings) and was absolutely droppable by mid-season? Thankfully I didn't draft him...
Okay, this is just getting out of hand. Now he's "absolutely droppable?" He's had several near misses on TDs this year, and still is the #24 WR in fantasy. If he just makes the TD catch against Tampa this past weekend that vaults him to the #16 spot right next to MSW. That's how close most of these WRs are right now. Has he been a mild disappointment? Yes. Has he been a complete bust? No.

McCarthy's line has been that 'teams are taking it away' - a very quick look back at the games doesn't really support that. Tough to take away something that is hardly ever called. Seriously, maybe one or two called a game. Now, there's a reason for that - Rodgers looks more and more afraid to pull the trigger on those slant plays, esp the 'second window' throws. You saw that in the first MIN game on the opening drive where he's staring down the reciever on a three step drop, and for whatever reason can't or won't throw it. Of course, he ends up getting sacked. But seriously, those plays are there to be made - but they are just not a part of the offense at this point.

Why is FBguys still high on Jennings?????????????????????????

Along w/ the obvious O-line and play calling problems.....SOMETHING IS PHYSICALLY AND/OR MENTALLY WRONG WITH JENNINGS.

Could it be the bad crushing hit concussion last preseason game.....I am starting to think so.

He is slow, his hands are bad, he looks timid.

As I said before, this guy has massive potential. Coming into his 4th year, hanging out w/ the LFitz workout program in the off season, I had him top 5 this year.

Is it his hip? Is he scared? Watch him, he is a different player after that crushing blow.

I have him and will keep him hoping he will be back next year. This guy has too much potential, driver will be another year older, Rodger will mature even more, the O-line will be better....

BUT THIS LIES LARGELY IN GREG JENNINGS. Greg, get your #### together man! "Come On Man!"

Along w/ the obvious O-line and play calling problems.....SOMETHING IS PHYSICALLY AND/OR MENTALLY WRONG WITH JENNINGS.

Could it be the bad crushing hit concussion last preseason game.....I am starting to think so.

As I said before, this guy has massive potential. Coming into his 4th year, hanging out w/ the LFitz workout program in the off season, I had him top 5 this year.

Is it his hip? Is he scared? Watch him, he is a different player after that crushing blow.

I have him and will keep him hoping he will be back next year. This guy has too much potential, driver will be another year older, Rodger will mature even more, the O-line will be better....

BUT THIS LIES LARGELY IN GREG JENNINGS. Greg, get your #### together man! "Come On Man!"
:yes: I'm actually embarrassed for you.

Driver has had several of these 1,000 yard seasons with low TDs, always seen as a good thing because he wasn't a high draft pick. But since Driver is still producing in 2009 I'm not shocked to see the stats swinging the other way, at least temporarily.

Jennings still has a good chance of scoring in any game. I'd have to have really good alternatives to bench him.

:coffee: at the Michael Clayton comparison.
Okay, this is just getting out of hand. Now he's "absolutely droppable?" He's had several near misses on TDs this year, and still is the #24 WR in fantasy. If he just makes the TD catch against Tampa this past weekend that vaults him to the #16 spot right next to MSW. That's how close most of these WRs are right now. Has he been a mild disappointment? Yes. Has he been a complete bust? No.
Read carefully - David Boston was absolutely droppable in the year I was describing. Jennings is not droppable, and is still still clearly on my roster (see sig). Sorry for any confusion - just similar in that Boston was a top 3 round pick that ended up a huge bust out of nowhere. Jennings is NOT the same category of bust, but the analogy works better than Clayton (who was never drafted near the 3rd round).

Why is FBguys still high on Jennings?????????????????????????Along w/ the obvious O-line and play calling problems.....SOMETHING IS PHYSICALLY AND/OR MENTALLY WRONG WITH JENNINGS. Could it be the bad crushing hit concussion last preseason game.....I am starting to think so.He is slow, his hands are bad, he looks timid.As I said before, this guy has massive potential. Coming into his 4th year, hanging out w/ the LFitz workout program in the off season, I had him top 5 this year.Is it his hip? Is he scared? Watch him, he is a different player after that crushing blow.I have him and will keep him hoping he will be back next year. This guy has too much potential, driver will be another year older, Rodger will mature even more, the O-line will be better....BUT THIS LIES LARGELY IN GREG JENNINGS. Greg, get your #### together man! "Come On Man!"
Nice new article...http://sports.espn.go.com/fantasy/football/ffl/story?page=daube091111Trend-spotting: Jennings or Driver?Comment Email Print Share By Ken DaubeSpecial to ESPN.comArchive Let's suppose you own Greg Jennings and one of your league mates comes knocking with an offer of Donald Driver for him, do you accept the offer? Based on their year-to-date performance, many would leap at the chance to grab Driver based on the fact that he has outscored Jennings by 20 points this season. Is that a wise decision? First, let's agree that there's fantasy gold to be had here. The Green Bay Packers play one of the friendliest pass-schedules over the remaining portion of their season. Over their final eight games, the Packers don't draw any teams currently ranked in the top 10 against the pass, but they do draw three matchups against teams in the bottom 10. Then consider this as you decide which receiver you really want.The majority of the scoring difference between Driver and Jennings can be traced to their Week 2 contest where Driver posted 15 fantasy points to Jennings' goose egg. Over the rest of the season, the difference is less than one fantasy point per week. As anyone who has ever played this game will realize, this is hardly noteworthy. Next consider that over the last four weeks, Jennings is averaging 23 percent more targets than Driver. You should note that this is in line with the ratio that existed in 2008, when Jennings received 21 percent more targets than Driver. Those two statistics taken together should help you come to the conclusion that it's extremely likely that Jennings will emerge as the better producer of the two from here on out.

Nice new article...http://sports.espn.go.com/fantasy/football/ffl/story?page=daube091111Trend-spotting: Jennings or Driver?Comment Email Print Share By Ken Daube

Special to ESPN.com

Archive

Let's suppose you own Greg Jennings and one of your league mates comes knocking with an offer of Donald Driver for him, do you accept the offer? Based on their year-to-date performance, many would leap at the chance to grab Driver based on the fact that he has outscored Jennings by 20 points this season. Is that a wise decision?

First, let's agree that there's fantasy gold to be had here. The Green Bay Packers play one of the friendliest pass-schedules over the remaining portion of their season. Over their final eight games, the Packers don't draw any teams currently ranked in the top 10 against the pass, but they do draw three matchups against teams in the bottom 10. Then consider this as you decide which receiver you really want.

The majority of the scoring difference between Driver and Jennings can be traced to their Week 2 contest where Driver posted 15 fantasy points to Jennings' goose egg. Over the rest of the season, the difference is less than one fantasy point per week. As anyone who has ever played this game will realize, this is hardly noteworthy. Next consider that over the last four weeks, Jennings is averaging 23 percent more targets than Driver. You should note that this is in line with the ratio that existed in 2008, when Jennings received 21 percent more targets than Driver. Those two statistics taken together should help you come to the conclusion that it's extremely likely that Jennings will emerge as the better producer of the two from here on out.
This is interesting and thank you for posting it, but I do not ses how it is more likely that Jennings will out produce Driver at this point. Driver has been more productive with less targets and is not showing any sign of aging, if I was the GB head coaches I would give Driver more work because Jennings is still drawing the #1 CB. This #1 CB seems to be doing a good job with containing Jennings since he has been unable this year to really have any big games.

I was ready to throw in the towel a few weeks back, but now he's getting more targets than any other GB WR, which makes the whole situation more frustrating. He is getting targets, some receptions for minimal yardage, yet the 50 yard TD bombs are going to Driver or some other no name WR.

Frustrating because Jennings is sooo close, yet sooo far from fantasy stardom. And for us suckers who have him, we are stuck in the teeth grinding position of not being able to bench him because he will LIGHT it up the second we do bench him.

Fantasy football can't be good for our health..........

I traded Jennings yesterday, for Roddy White, to an owner I wouldn't see the rest of the year. He was subsequently traded to my opponent this week.

He will go off. Murphy's Law.

through trades ive ended up with

v jackson

welker

jennings

boldin

still starting jennings over boldin and mcwestcoy at flex

SACK TRACKER! Very interesting tool in tracking Rodgers' sacks this year. The left side of the line is clearly a problem.

http://host.madison.com/app/interactive/sacktracker/
Yes and no.The left side is generally left to the one on one blocks when Clifton and Colledge are in there because the right side with Barbre needs more help.

However...lately Colledge has taken a major step backwards over his play the last 2 seasons and Clifton has been banged up and they have started a rookie over there.

THe whole line is clearly a problem right now.

The Packers' offense held a closed-door meeting and bluntly talked about their problems Wednesday.

This is what happens when you lose to a winless Bucs team. Aaron Rodgers was reportedly told he holds onto the ball too long. He accepted part of the blame and also asked the offensive line to look in the mirror. The coaches were in the room, but perhaps this will give the team a spark.

Nov. 12 - 10:52 a.m. ET

Source: Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel

Just landed Jennings in a trade, gave up holmes/h'tower (start peterson/t jones)

Figure buy low on Jennings, upgrade over Holmes.

What do you guys think?

Keeper League, so I'm pleased..

Read carefully - David Boston was absolutely droppable in the year I was describing. Jennings is not droppable, and is still still clearly on my roster (see sig). Sorry for any confusion - just similar in that Boston was a top 3 round pick that ended up a huge bust out of nowhere. Jennings is NOT the same category of bust, but the analogy works better than Clayton (who was never drafted near the 3rd round).
Pumpkin head wrote his own ticket out of the NFL. Had he not turned into a headcase mutant freak, he would still be playing and would have become one of the gretest ever. He lost his mind and his NFL career.Jnennings is fine. Hard worker, great route runner, great hands.Clayton got a huge head himself after his rookie year and thought his #### didn't stink.

The Packers' offense held a closed-door meeting and bluntly talked about their problems Wednesday. This is what happens when you lose to a winless Bucs team. Aaron Rodgers was reportedly told he holds onto the ball too long. He accepted part of the blame and also asked the offensive line to look in the mirror. The coaches were in the room, but perhaps this will give the team a spark.Nov. 12 - 10:52 a.m. ET Source: Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel
I smell an upset this weekend. Dallas is riding a little too high, Green Bay way too low. This is a trap game for Dallas. Looking for big things from Jennings on Sunday :thumbup:

Just landed Jennings in a trade, gave up holmes/h'tower (start peterson/t jones) Figure buy low on Jennings, upgrade over Holmes.What do you guys think?Keeper League, so I'm pleased..
12 Team 3 Player Keeper League +0.5 pprDid a Buy Low deal on Jennings in Week 5. Has done nothing since then....Sold Jennings & TJ Hous for Wayne right before the Week 10 Trade Deadline. THRILLED! His issues might be the OL & Rodgers sack concern. If Jennings lined up on 1 side all the time, I could see it being a problem. Driver has out produced Jennings since Week 2 except for Week 8 (Jennings pulled in his 2nd TD).I realize Driver is aging and James Jones has been getting looks now, but the TE has not taken away Jennings touches to where it should have such a strong negative impact. I sold Jennings. I am thrilled with the move.

Users who are viewing this thread