What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Cleveland Browns (11 Viewers)

MAC_32 said:
The never ending conversation around here is we'll never be any good until we get the QB right. I think, really, it's we'll never be any good as long as we keep picking QB's while other teams are getting better at other positions. There are many reasons this team is 3-10, but QB play is not in the top 10.
OTOH, we could be better at other positions right now if we didn't draft Mingo, Gilbert, Shelton and Erving with first round picks.

Well I'll be damned. We still have the worst record in the league, tied with the Chargers and Titans, and should get stomped the next 3 weeks.

There is hope after all.
The win dropped us two spots on the draft order.

The way Tennessee has been playing they'll probably lock up the top pick and San Diego isn't much better in the second spot.

Here is the current top-ten go to the link for the full read.

---------------------

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl-mock-draft/2015/12/13/10064384/2016-nfl-draft-order-titans-chargers-browns-cowboys

Three teams at the top have a 3-10 record, but a strength of schedule tiebreaker gives Tennessee the top choice over Cleveland and San Diego.

or now, here's the full 2016 NFL Draft order (will be updated after Monday's game):

1. Tennessee Titans: 3-10 (.498 strength of schedule)

2. San Diego Chargers: 3-10 (.527 SOS)

3. Cleveland Browns: 3-10 (.529 SOS)

4. Dallas Cowboys: 4-9 (.517 SOS - 3-8 in conference)

5. Baltimore Ravens: 4-9 (.517 SOS - 3-6 in conference)

6. Detroit Lions: 4-9 (.529 SOS)

7. San Francisco 49ers: 4-9 (.531 SOS)

8. Jacksonville Jaguars: 5-8 (.469 SOS)

9. New Orleans Saints: 5-8 (.512 SOS)

10. Chicago Bears: 5-8 (.524 SOS - 2-7 in conference)
I think it's actually because we beat them and have the tie breaker earlier in the year. Johnny's 1st win.. that said, today on local radio they were saying that the corrected standings currently have us at #2 after TEN. I just can't trust Johnny given his immaturity & decision making to lead the Browns. I never was a believer in his game translating to consistent wins, nor his size/frame holding up. The Browns haven't been in position to draft the #1-2 ranked QB in a long time. We now are. Id love for him to come out these last 3 games play lights out and prove me and a majority of others wrong.

My perfect scenario has him traded away for something of value and we draft Lynch, and a WR in 2nd(Thomas, or the Baylor WR) & Go get Wilkerson in FA.

DallasDMac said:
There is no QB coming out this year worthy of a number 1 pick. Fact is, there will be little difference to the Browns if they pick first or fourth due to the number of needs they have to fill. Except from the standpoint that they could trade back for more picks at 1 than 4 I suppose.
I would agree that right now I don't think I want any of the QBs coming out with our top pick.

And yes, pick 1 has a lot more value than pick 4. Heck we traded what was it pick 5 for pick 9 and a future 1st? I want a top 2 pick, pull the same deal, pull another deal like it giving us three 2017 1sts. We would still have a mid 1st this year to pick, and then just MAYBE a top flight QB will be around in the draft in 2017. Or 2018, or 2019. Who knows. Keep trading back giving yourself the chance to draft one or the ammo to move up for one.

And for the " i wanna win now blah blah crowd", a mid 1st is still a darn good prospect, and we will be collecting extra 1sts and using more than one some years.

More 1sts, more draft value, then strike for the QB when the opportunity presents itself and maybe, just maybe, we win something in 5 years.

Who is trading for pick 1? who do they want? what are they willing to trade for it?
I would love to find out.

Trading pick 1 down for pick 4 and "something" is better than just having pick 4. Nobody will trade a kings ransom for pick 1 this year, but you don't need to get that to make it worth while. Toss the pick value chart out the window. It is useless anyway

PFT's Mike Florio raked Miami owner Stephen Ross over the coals for being an out-of-state owner who treats his investment in his NFL team like a part-time hobby and that attitude trickles down to the coaches and players and is the reason why the Dolphins have floundered under him.

The exact same thing applies to out-of-state owner of the Browns Jimmy Haslam who runs his real business full-time but flies in on weekends for his part-time NFL football team hobby before heading out afterwards as swift as his private jet can taxi down the runway.

Substitue Haslam for Ross in this article because it applies to every NFL owner who is a carpet bagger like Jimmy Haslam.

---------

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/12/16/its-time-for-stephen-ross-to-move-to-miami-or-sell-the-team/

It’s time for Stephen Ross to move to Miami or sell the teamPosted by Mike Florio on December 16, 2015, 9:50 AM EST

...The time has come for Ross to roll up his sleeves and preside over the football team he owns.

A generation ago, Ross — who live and works in New York — tried to buy the Jets. Woody Johnson won the bidding. Ross later purchased the Dolphins from Wayne Huizenga, becoming the majority owner in 2009. Ross continued to live and work in New York.

Since then, coincidentally or not, the Dolphins haven’t made it to the playoffs. Heck, the Dolphins haven’t even had a winning season since Ross became the owner...

... Since Ross became the owner, players, coaches, General Managers, and executive vice presidents of football operations have changed. Ross is the one constant.

And he’s an absentee landlord, the cat who is always away while the mice are fighting among themselves. The hiring of Dan Marino to essentially babysit the front office and then of Mike Tannenbaum to oversee it hasn’t changed anything yet. There’s a good chance nothing will change it until the owner: (1) moves to Miami; and (2) shows up at the facility every day.

Here’s an unmistakable truth regarding the modern NFL: Owners who live and work in the cities where their teams are located love competing against owners who don’t. That alone should be enough to get Ross to load up the truck and move to Hy-a-lee. (Ah.)

Or, alternatively, it should get Ross to admit that it’s impossible for a billionaire who built a billion-dollar real-estate business that he still runs in New York to treat his billion-dollar sports acquisition as a casual investment or a hobby. The players, the coaches, the front office, and the fans of every NFL team deserve an owner who is all in.

If Ross isn’t willing to do that, Ross should sell the team to another billionaire who is.

That’s not to say Ross should be involved in football decisions. He needs to trust the people with the expertise whom he has hired to make those decisions. But it’s one thing to hire them, to trust them, and to be there to observe and to assist and to lend active oversight to tasks falling within the owner’s skill set. It’s quite another for the owner to throw the keys into the middle of the room, walk out the door, and ignore the ensuing scrum.

Cause the Jerry Jones type works so well?

Haslem sucks, but it doesnt help that he basically has ZERO choices of good front office people who want to come here.

And based on his personality, it's probably best he DOESN'T live here and meddle more often.

So no, can't say i agree with much of that opinion above.

Last edited by a moderator:
Browns coach Mike Pettine said Wednesday that he would not include Russell Wilson in the top tier of NFL quarterbacks.

"Would you put him there with the guys that can transcend their supporting cast?" Pettine asked rhetorically. "The Bradys, whether it's Aaron Rodgers, Brees, Roethlisberger, the ones that you would consider the two, three, four elite guys? No. But he's certainly played himself into that next tier." Pettine indicated he believes Wilson's success is a "function" of Wilson's supporting cast -- a supporting cast that this year has included one of the NFL's worst offensive lines, the loss of Jimmy Graham to a torn patellar tendon, an injury-decimated running game, and no prototype No. 1 receiver. "He plays at a high level, he's very productive and they win," Pettine continued. "Now a lot of that I think is a function, too, is he's the perfect quarterback for what they do. To me it goes both ways."
This is just dumbness of an epic sort.

Honestly, this guy is at least two notches above his proper place according to the Peter Principle. I think this should be called the Pettine Principle.

Browns coach Mike Pettine said Wednesday that he would not include Russell Wilson in the top tier of NFL quarterbacks.

"Would you put him there with the guys that can transcend their supporting cast?" Pettine asked rhetorically. "The Bradys, whether it's Aaron Rodgers, Brees, Roethlisberger, the ones that you would consider the two, three, four elite guys? No. But he's certainly played himself into that next tier." Pettine indicated he believes Wilson's success is a "function" of Wilson's supporting cast -- a supporting cast that this year has included one of the NFL's worst offensive lines, the loss of Jimmy Graham to a torn patellar tendon, an injury-decimated running game, and no prototype No. 1 receiver. "He plays at a high level, he's very productive and they win," Pettine continued. "Now a lot of that I think is a function, too, is he's the perfect quarterback for what they do. To me it goes both ways."

Honestly, this guy is at least two notches above his proper place according to the Peter Principle. I think this should be called the Pettine Principle.
he must have wilson on his fantasy team, or else why else would he guarantee wilson putting 5 td's on his clown team by saying this?

he must have wilson on his fantasy team, or else why else would he guarantee wilson putting 5 td's on his clown team by saying this?
Brady

Ben

Palmer

Cam

Rodgers

Luck

That is 6. No Wilson is not a Top 5 QB in the NFL.

Give Luck Seattles D and run game.

Brady

Ben

Palmer

Cam

Rodgers

Luck

That is 6. No Wilson is not a Top 5 QB in the NFL.

Give Luck Seattles D and run game.
i didnt say i disagree with pettine, but whats the point in issuing a statement that can be taken by wilson and the rest of the seahawks a slight?

Omar Kelly had a few interesting tweets today.

-------------------

Chu from Da U@AllboutTHEChu
@OmarKelly Cowboys might draft one

OmarKelly
The #Dolphins need to finish with a worse record than Cleveland and San Francisco. Every other bottom dweller in the NFL as a QB.

Omar Kelly@OmarKelly 7h7 hours ago
Omar Kelly Retweeted Chu from Da U

Not in the first round, and they actually want Johnny Manziel (don't ask me why)

Omar Kelly@OmarKelly 7h7 hours ago
By the way, I hear that changes in Cleveland are brewing, and expected at the end of the season. Ray Farmer is about to get the shank.

Farmer about to get fired. In other news we have landed in the moon. Also, this just in, water is wet.

Can anyone name a GM who has done worse in his first two years? And i dont just mean record-wise. This is way deeper than that.

Farmer about to get fired. In other news we have landed in the moon. Also, this just in, water is wet.

Can anyone name a GM who has done worse in his first two years? And i dont just mean record-wise. This is way deeper than that.
At least he always acted professional and didn't do things like text the coach during the game...

Seriously, though, I can't think of a worse GM right now. He deserved to get fired a while ago so it's about time.

Scott Taylor
@ScottTaylorTVCleveland Browns Armonty Bryant & De'Ante Saunders stopped & arrested along I-71 Friday morning at 2:16 am. #NFL

6:41 AM - 26 Dec 2015

Scott Taylor
@ScottTaylorTVDuring the arrest of Cleveland Browns Armonty Bryant & De'Ante Saunders a gun & the prescription drug Adderall was found in the car. #NFL

6:33 AM - 26 Dec 2015

-------------------------
Go to this tweet to see the Browns statement on the arrest:
------------------------
Scott TaylorVerified account@ScottTaylorTV
Here is entire statement I just got from Cleveland Browns GM Ray Farmer:

EDIT:

Tony Grossi@TonyGrossi 1m1 minute ago
#Browns confirm arrests of Armonty Bryant & De'Ante Sanders early Christmas AM. Team sack leader Bryant DNP v KC.

Scott Taylor@ScottTaylorTV 22m

22 minutes ago
Cleveland Browns GM Ray Farmer tells me "Armonty will be inactive on Sunday for our game against the Chiefs."

Indeed. Peters was not very good this year compared to his usual standard. His replacements when he was hurt were much worse, so I guess there's that.

So we have an excellent shot at the #1. In fact we are probably the favorites for it. Steelers will beat us, and the Titans are playing the Colts who are basically going to have to sign the water boy to play QB.

Nice.

Looks like all the rest of my fellow Browns fans died off. Cmon fellas. JOHNNY FOOTBALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!! #1 PICK!!!!!!!!!!!!!! EVERYONE FIRED!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rumors swirling already that Kelly and Jimmy have been talking behind the scenes. Talking heads state Kelly wants to stay in the NFL, but does not want to control personnel - just coach. Bleacher Report posted an article (most likely from Kelly's camp) that he already has two HC offers from clubs, presumably out of Titans, Dolphins, and Browns. It's crazy times!

My thoughts - Haslam will fire Farmer next Monday (why he is waiting is anyone's guess). Jimmy will bring in a new GM (E.Wolf is the current rumor) who will then clean out the rest of the trash (Pettine, O'Neil) and hire the new coach. I'd like to see the OC and QB coach stay on staff moving forward. I think Flip is an innovative guy, but working with crappy players. He's done well with the pieces he was given. Those two have managed to make JFF look decent in his last couple of starts.

I don't know who I'd want to see as a HC, but I'd rather it not be a college coach. Stick with the coaches/coordinators at the pro-level. I'd like Payton, but he may not leave NO. Kelly may not be terrible - his teams were good, he just bit off more than he could chew by doing both GM and HC duties. If he sticks to being a HC, he may be the guy Jimmy is looking for to turn the club around. From a coordinator aspect, I'd think Gase may be a good catch. I was timid on him last year, but he's done some good things in Chicago to show he was more than Manning's sidekick in Denver.

Deleted my Gase comment-- I misread your "from a coordinator aspect" remark.

Did we go after Eliot previously or did another NFL team? I seem to remember GB ponying up for someone to stay. Consultant Ron and GM Eliot is something I'd get behind.

Why are we not offering boatloads to Caserio? It's cushy in NE, but at some point you gotta leave the shadow.

In the same breath, is Patricia ready for a gig?

Rumors swirling already that Kelly and Jimmy have been talking behind the scenes. Talking heads state Kelly wants to stay in the NFL, but does not want to control personnel - just coach. Bleacher Report posted an article (most likely from Kelly's camp) that he already has two HC offers from clubs, presumably out of Titans, Dolphins, and Browns. It's crazy times!

My thoughts - Haslam will fire Farmer next Monday (why he is waiting is anyone's guess). Jimmy will bring in a new GM (E.Wolf is the current rumor) who will then clean out the rest of the trash (Pettine, O'Neil) and hire the new coach. I'd like to see the OC and QB coach stay on staff moving forward. I think Flip is an innovative guy, but working with crappy players. He's done well with the pieces he was given. Those two have managed to make JFF look decent in his last couple of starts.

I don't know who I'd want to see as a HC, but I'd rather it not be a college coach. Stick with the coaches/coordinators at the pro-level. I'd like Payton, but he may not leave NO. Kelly may not be terrible - his teams were good, he just bit off more than he could chew by doing both GM and HC duties. If he sticks to being a HC, he may be the guy Jimmy is looking for to turn the club around. From a coordinator aspect, I'd think Gase may be a good catch. I was timid on him last year, but he's done some good things in Chicago to show he was more than Manning's sidekick in Denver.
Where did you hear that rumor about Haslam and Chip talking behind the scenes? I didn't see that but haven't been following as closely.

Farmer wasn't hired to be the GM. He was third in line and had never held a GM position before and really wasn't qualified as he displayed in his unprofessional demeanor texting/poor working room in press conferences and most glaringly in his top draft selections that have included four under performing and/or bust 1st round picks.

I don't know how the HC thing will turn out but I'm more concerned with landing a (insert channeling Steve Martin's character Neal Page from Planes Trains and Automobile rant at the snorting rental car lady) f'ng GM who can make decent f'ng picks.

Per Chip. Uh Peter King had an interesting take on how some guys blew chunks their first time round and how some really good ones, Chuck Knoll/Belichick, had personality quirks and were not well liked but had undeniable coaching chops so....

Of other potential candidates. I'm not in love with anyone but I am a bit intrigued with the DC with the Bears but I doubt he's on anyone's radar.

Where did you hear that rumor about Haslam and Chip talking behind the scenes? I didn't see that but haven't been following as closely.
I saw a line come across the BR Team Stream app last night, as well as some twitter conversations from Lane at OBR. Nothing solid, and mainly twitter speculation, so I didn't grab the links. I've also read a few lines that Haslam "grew to dislike" Kelly during their interview sessions in 2013 and wouldn't consider him as a HC option now. So go figure. :hophead:

I saw a line come across the BR Team Stream app last night, as well as some twitter conversations from Lane at OBR. Nothing solid, and mainly twitter speculation, so I didn't grab the links. I've also read a few lines that Haslam "grew to dislike" Kelly during their interview sessions in 2013 and wouldn't consider him as a HC option now. So go figure. :hophead:
Oh Lane Adkins. Very-busy twitterhead, too much to keep track of.

Per Jimmy's ability to hire people, sigh. My biggest fear is Haslam's input in the hiring process and his judgement.

I want Jimmy around the facility but only in a poppa bear role to make sure people color within the lines and don't step on toes or you get a situation we had with Farmer texting or that they had in Philly with Chip in a power grab. I just hope we get lucky and get a solid GM who has input in any potential coach hire because I really don't like the Carpet Bagger owner who flies in and out and seems to make herky-jerky moves. He needs to settle down into a very-simple poppa bear managerial role and hire the best football guys he can get and let them run the football side of things.

Here's a plan for ya...

Broncos win a few games in the playoffs, part ways with Manning
Browns keep the coach and GM for one more year.

Sign Manning, give up on Manziel, draft/acquire young QB (ok maybe this is manziel but i do not think so)

Manning plays one last season, gets a few wins for the record, team is bad again

Manning retires, is hired as <insert title here> basically someone Jimmy trusts who knows football.

Assuming the coach/gm do not blow your eyes out with Manning at QB, find new coach and GM - i think the hiring of Manning in a front office role will make the situation seem more stable and thus more attractive

Rebuild - don't expect an overnight turn around. instead, rebuild properly to be a perrenially good team

Here's a plan for ya...

Sign Manning, give up on Manziel, draft/acquire young QB (ok maybe this is manziel but i do not think so)

Manning plays one last season, gets a few wins for the record, team is bad again

Manning retires, is hired as <insert title here> basically someone Jimmy trusts who knows football.

Assuming the coach/gm do not blow your eyes out with Manning at QB, find new coach and GM - i think the hiring of Manning in a front office role will make the situation seem more stable and thus more attractive

Rebuild - don't expect an overnight turn around. instead, rebuild properly to be a perrenially good team
I don't have anything personal against Manning but as a player he is kaput. He's not going to help anyone on the field and he has no experience as a GM.

He hasn't spent the time to be groomed as a GM so he'd be inexperienced and worthless until he got up to speed. You have to figure it takes years of learning the ropes and their isn't any guarantee he'd be good as a GM just like Magic Johnson and Larry Bird weren't good NBA coaches and tons of failed former players making runs at front office and coaching positions.

The fantasy scenario sounds wonderful but the reality is... I just don't see it.

Here's a plan for ya...

I don't have anything personal against Manning but as a player he is kaput. He's not going to help anyone on the field and he has no experience as a GM.

He hasn't spent the time to be groomed as a GM so he'd be inexperienced and worthless until he got up to speed. You have to figure it takes years of learning the ropes and their isn't any guarantee he'd be good as a GM just like Magic Johnson and Larry Bird weren't good NBA coaches and tons of failed former players making runs at front office and coaching positions.

The fantasy scenario sounds wonderful but the reality is... I just don't see it.
I didn't say make him a GM, i said make him a football guy that Haslam (clearly not a football guy) will listen to. then hire a GM.

Haslam cannot keep bringing in whatever clowns he digs up and firing them after 2 years, when you do that the only applicants you get are more clowns. He needs to find stability. Look in your division, the other three teams are all models of stability.

Yes this is a fantasy in that it will clearly never happen, but I think it could work. As for on the field no I do not think Manning could lead you to the playoffs next season, but I do not think anyone can. I think he can throw the ball around win a few games break a record and sell tickets. If you have a young QB he is also an outstanding role model on how to prepare.

Haslam (and everyone else who does not realize it) needs to realize this team needs a plan, not a quick fix.

A quick fix is what some reports are floating:

Hire Chip Kelly

Keep johnny Manziel

wreck the league

that sounds great, but quick fixes generally just end up with another quick fix later. then another, then another.

Here's a name to file away for GM.

-------------------------------------------

Brian Cockerham@Bcockerham0210
@nfldraftscout what do you think Wolf's role will be in Browns organization?

Matt Miller@nfldraftscout Dec 28
Matt Miller Retweeted Brian Cockerham

If the #Browns are smart they'll target Eliot Wolf or Chris Ballard for the GM job and let them pick the coach

Matt Miller@nfldraftscout 3h3 hours ago
NFL owners should put one name atop their GM wish list: Chris Ballard.

http://www.arrowheadpride.com/2015/12/28/10669256/chiefs-front-office-exec-chris-ballard-will-be-a-gm-candidate-again

Chiefs front office exec Chris Ballard will be a GM candidate again this yearBy Joel Thorman@JoelThorman on Dec 28, 2015, 2:00p

Good teams will lose good players and coaches because other teams will want those good players and coaches. The same can be said for the front office as other teams will pluck front office folks from successful franchises. The good news is that the Kansas City Chiefs are considered a successful franchise here and they have someone in the front office who will be coveted by other teams during the NFL's hiring cycle after the season.

NFL Network's Albert Breer listed out the next up-and-coming front office execs who will be in line for the next round of GM jobs. The first name on his list? Chiefs director of football operations Chris Ballard.

Could've had the Bucs job in 2014, was close in Chicago last year. Strong evaluator who's waiting for a "true" GM job (with full power/responsibility).

Ballard ended up saying in KC last year, which was interesting. Most people it would seem would jump immediately at the first shot to get a GM job but Ballard is in a good spot in KC and there will be more jobs. He can afford to wait for the perfect job for him.
Just saw this interesting blurb.

-------------------------------------

Dave Briggs@DBriggsBlade 2h2 hours ago
Urban Meyer said NFL team reached out to him this year. "I was asked if I would be interested and I'm not."

Dave Briggs@DBriggsBlade 2h2 hours ago
Was it the Browns? "I'm not going there. I'll just say I was reached out to."

not sure why people assume Peyton Manning would be good at anything football related once he quits playing QB.

he's obviously very smart at playing QB, but that doesn't necessarily translate to other skills.

and Urban is no savior, just like Tressel before him.

the Buckeyes were awful this year once all the assistant coaches left. they have a good record because their players are so much better than their competition, which would not be the case with the Browns.

Users who are viewing this thread