What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Cleveland Browns (7 Viewers)

You're right, I was dead wrong about saying this defense sucked.
I never said ANYTHING of the sort. In fact, I gave you props on your Cleveland knowledge. Go ahead and search for the words you just put in my mouth, we have time.

Again, you still don't get the point here. Try to think about FF implications, even though that's not why we're here. Oh wait.....

Still nothing to argue about here regarding the FF defensive points for the Browns. It was a pretty average score. The defense played horrible and did not force any errors, which was expected. Schaub and that offense was so bad that they handed the Browns a pick 6, which a couple INTs were certainly expected.

Browns forced no errors as expected.

Ravens had some terrible unforced errors as expected.

Neither side can possibly argue they were right, or that the other side was wrong. It was an average to barely slightly above average defensive scoring game.

10 points is too high to say Mac, myself, and some others were "right".

10 points is too low to say the other side was "right".

Make sense yet? It wasn't some great call to take the Browns D for this week, it simply ended up being average and probably didnt really help or hurt your score much.

LOL nice work.

MAC knows his Browns but might have been too focused on the actual D instead of the opponent and FF situation. The FBG experts were right.
Not real sure I would go as far as to say they were "right". The defense was terrible. Did nothing. No sacks, though did get a pick 6 which is incredibly fluky, but hey, it did happen, and it might have even been expected against that trash QB Schaub.

However, I can't imagine a 10 point score from the defense when they pegged them as a top 3 play makes them "right" considering 10 is a fairly average score.

At best I guess you can say they "weren't wrong".
A pick 6 with Matt Shaub at QB is actually quite common in the last few games he has started.
Did I say otherwise?

Again, it was 10 points. Not bad, not great. Decent. The horribleness on the defensive side showed up. Gave up a lot of points and no sacks. They certainly did not give the Ravens any sort of struggle outside of the obvious one big play.

I am not sure how those experts can be considered "right" when the D didn't do much to stop the Ravens and even with a pick 6 the D only scored 10 points which, as I said, is a pretty average defensive score.
You are missing the point, again. Which is/was to say that the team a D is playing and the state they are in is quite important. Especially later in the year.
huh?

Hated the pick (less than the Gilbert pick, but still hated it), but how can we not start JFF the rest of the year? Would it be so bad if he won some games and we actually had a few receivers for him to throw to next year? I really don't want to draft another QB.

He has a better QBR (54.2) this year than:

Josh McCown
Blake Bortles
Andrew Luck
Colin Kaepernick
Peyton Manning
Joe Flacco
Sam Bradford
Ryan Tannehill
Nick Foles

And this is with arguably one of the worst WR corps.
And Austin Davis just had a 77.1 (is this espn?) /125.8 in a short stint vs the Ravens. What does this prove, no way Manzierl would start a game anywhere over six of those QBs and the others you're just saying he's better than hot garbage.

I'm hoping the Browns give Davis another shot, I thought he did a great job and inspired the team vs Baltimore.

LOL nice work.

MAC knows his Browns but might have been too focused on the actual D instead of the opponent and FF situation. The FBG experts were right.
Not real sure I would go as far as to say they were "right". The defense was terrible. Did nothing. No sacks, though did get a pick 6 which is incredibly fluky, but hey, it did happen, and it might have even been expected against that trash QB Schaub.

However, I can't imagine a 10 point score from the defense when they pegged them as a top 3 play makes them "right" considering 10 is a fairly average score.

A pick 6 with Matt Shaub at QB is actually quite common in the last few games he has started.
Did I say otherwise?

Again, it was 10 points. Not bad, not great. Decent. The horribleness on the defensive side showed up. Gave up a lot of points and no sacks. They certainly did not give the Ravens any sort of struggle outside of the obvious one big play.

I am not sure how those experts can be considered "right" when the D didn't do much to stop the Ravens and even with a pick 6 the D only scored 10 points which, as I said, is a pretty average defensive score.
You are missing the point, again. Which is/was to say that the team a D is playing and the state they are in is quite important. Especially later in the year.
huh?
I pointed out that these "experts" must be taking into account the opposing team as much or more as the actual D they were picking. Baltimore is/was a shell of their former self offensively and no matter what D they were facing, it would be a good "bet against".

Hated the pick (less than the Gilbert pick, but still hated it), but how can we not start JFF the rest of the year? Would it be so bad if he won some games and we actually had a few receivers for him to throw to next year? I really don't want to draft another QB.

He has a better QBR (54.2) this year than:

Josh McCown
Blake Bortles
Andrew Luck
Colin Kaepernick
Peyton Manning
Joe Flacco
Sam Bradford
Ryan Tannehill
Nick Foles

And this is with arguably one of the worst WR corps.
And Austin Davis just had a 77.1 (is this espn?) /125.8 in a short stint vs the Ravens. What does this prove, no way Manzierl would start a game anywhere over six of those QBs and the others you're just saying he's better than hot garbage.

I'm hoping the Browns give Davis another shot, I thought he did a great job and inspired the team vs Baltimore.
He hasn't played in a long time so I hesitate to be too critical, but his handling of the two minute drill was atrocious.

LOL nice work.

Did I say otherwise?

huh?
I pointed out that these "experts" must be taking into account the opposing team as much or more as the actual D they were picking. Baltimore is/was a shell of their former self offensively and no matter what D they were facing, it would be a good "bet against".
Just for s's and g's I checked out their performance in each of my leagues. Best output was T-6th (with 6 others), other two were 12th and 13th. Your so called experts called for 2nd and 4th and 12th for rest of season. So, to match that rest of season expectation then we can expect a pick six per week. Impressive work, Browns!

I said it before that Pettine is in way over his head as a HC. He belongs back as a DC.

You can't hope for continuity with the wrong personal at the helm. These next 5 weeks

are going to be pretty UGLY!

Last edited by a moderator:
MAC_32 said:
kOOk said:
ghostguy123 said:
kOOk said:
ghostguy123 said:
Dr. Octopus said:
ghostguy123 said:
kOOk said:
LOL nice work.

Did I say otherwise?

huh?
Just for s's and g's I checked out their performance in each of my leagues. Best output was T-6th (with 6 others), other two were 12th and 13th. Your so called experts called for 2nd and 4th and 12th for rest of season. So, to match that rest of season expectation then we can expect a pick six per week. Impressive work, Browns!
You miss the point yet again. But keep those blinders on, they serve you well.

I said it before that Pettine is in way over his head as a HC. He belongs back as a DC.

You can't hope for continuity with the wrong personal at the helm. These next 5 weeks

I think if he doesnt want to name JFF starter, he should be fired.

If anyone cares about his off field antics, you need to get something to occupy your time.

All I care about is seeing what he does on the field, not one thing. I ;m a football fan, not a JFF off the field fan.

I have not seen enough of this kid and I just want to watch him play. I am not a fan of his, but I am a fan of seeing what football players can do.

I think if he doesnt want to name JFF starter, he should be fired.

If anyone cares about his off field antics, you need to get something to occupy your time.

All I care about is seeing what he does on the field, not one thing. I ;m a football fan, not a JFF off the field fan.

I have not seen enough of this kid and I just want to watch him play. I am not a fan of his, but I am a fan of seeing what football players can do.
If he played any other position I'd agree with you, but not quarterback. He's been enabled his entire life. Pettine's done a lot of bad things this year, but his handling of Manziel is not one of them. He needed to be put in his place. If he's a grown man then he will overcome it. If he is a punk that will never get it then he won't.

:wall:

The Browns have named Austin Davis their starting quarterback for Week 13 against the Bengals.
This serves the franchise no purpose. Austin Davis is not a NFL starting QB. A HC (that will not be there next year) is sending a message to a QB (that may not be there next year, but it would be useful to at least see what he's capable of before releasing him). What an ugly situation.

The Browns have named Austin Davis their starting quarterback for Week 13 against the Bengals.
This serves the franchise no purpose. Austin Davis is not a NFL starting QB. A HC (that will not be there next year) is sending a message to a QB (that may not be there next year, but it would be useful to at least see what he's capable of before releasing him). What an ugly situation.
The coach might not be making the call.

I think he is. If he's going down then it is going to be his way.

It's his audition to become the Back-up QB of the future for the franchise. My guess is this is Pettine's way of sticking it to Farmer and saying he will not start Manziel unless he's out of options. If the FO said to start Manziel and Pettine rolled out Davis, then this may be Pettine's last stand as HC for the Browns.

This.

It's obvious the coach IS making the call. If the GM or owner had their way it would certainly be Manziel starting, you know the guy that the team spent a first round pick on just last season.

It's obvious the coach IS making the call. If the GM or owner had their way it would certainly be Manziel starting, you know the guy that the team spent a first round pick on just last season.
Why is the coach still employed then?

He may not be for very much longer.

So you think it's Haslam or Farmer's call to sit Manziel? That doesn't make sense logically.

I think Pettine knows he's getting fired and is going down with his "integrity" in tact. I wouldn't be surprised if he's fired shortly and Manziel finishes out the season.

So you think it's Haslam or Farmer's call to sit Manziel? That doesn't make sense logically.

I think Pettine knows he's getting fired and is going down with his "integrity" in tact. I wouldn't be surprised if he's fired shortly and Manziel finishes out the season.
No, I think it's Pettine's call.

What I don't know is who supports him and who doesn't. So if he has as little support as you think, which is probably true, I'm wondering why he hasn't been canned yet. Maybe Jimmy is thinking the worst is yet to come. He's probably right.

Yep. It's almost like the Brown's organization LOVES the dysfunctional idiots tag they've been saddled with. Going out of their way to show it is well deserved.

No, I think it's Pettine's call.What I don't know is who supports him and who doesn't. So if he has as little support as you think, which is probably true, I'm wondering why he hasn't been canned yet. Maybe Jimmy is thinking the worst is yet to come. He's probably right.
he said no moves in season immediately after the Steelers game.

No, I think it's Pettine's call.What I don't know is who supports him and who doesn't. So if he has as little support as you think, which is probably true, I'm wondering why he hasn't been canned yet. Maybe Jimmy is thinking the worst is yet to come. He's probably right.
he said no moves in season immediately after the Steelers game.
That's integrity baby

They are trying to cover up the sexual harrassment story. They put the clamps on Lane Adkins and if you follow his twitter page its impossible. He never stops tweeting but its obvious he knows the same story that Lull has broken.

--------

.LA @TheRealLA__

The powers that be have forbidden me from any further discussion or to elaborate further on @LullOnSports notes and my backing him....

11:31 PM - 30 Nov 2015
Start a thread on it. NOBODY cares about this
For those of us who play in 2QB/Superflex leagues, we do care.I was hoping to hear more about the QB situation from people who follow the Browns.
People that play in 2QB leagues care about sexual harassment in the front office? I don't play in any, but that seems odd.
Fantasy prison. Someone start a league.

As for Johnny, he would just make it more entertaining to watch the rest of the year. Simple as that. There is nothing left.
the problem is if the browns win more than they lose from here on out and he makes a few good plays they may feel pressure to stick with him. I don;t think you ever let this kid see the field again and you show him the door when the season ends. He has issues, the Browns do not need his issues added to their own
Then why play the last five games? There is nothing left to evaluate.

Oh the horror if johnny plays really well. Are you serious?
If he plays just well enough.

If people still think this guy is a franchise QB, start him and lets go. I don't see it. If you start him he performs OK and you fire Pettine and keep JFF then the enabling continues. The message is no matter what you do you'r still Johnny Football and we love it. That's been the message his whole life. That's why he is who he is, and why he is not mature enough to be a franchise QB, even IF he has the skills (which we have certainly not seen).

I think he has let the Browns down. I think they need to move on.

B-Deep..Dallas fan right? Do you want Jerry to get him this offseason?
Yes I am a Dallas fain

and No I do not want Jerry to sign him. I am resigned to that probably happening though, assuming the Browns do not keep him.

so you see, from a purely selfish standpoint i want him to play and play well enough to stay on the team! But I just think giving this kid the starting job is a mistake, and it sends a poor message. Dallas would start him in the same situation.

Yes I am a Dallas fain

and No I do not want Jerry to sign him. I am resigned to that probably happening though, assuming the Browns do not keep him.

so you see, from a purely selfish standpoint i want him to play and play well enough to stay on the team! But I just think giving this kid the starting job is a mistake, and it sends a poor message. Dallas would start him in the same situation.
Manziel has improved his play on the field. He just got a major slap upside the head being benched in front of a national TV audience. That had to kill him since he craves and feeds on celebrity status more than hanging out drinking with college kids so that dressing-down had to get through to his ego. That really hurt him more than he let on. I think he won't ever risk losing a shot like that again.

Johnny will start again before the year is over but nothing will be determined with him. The Browns will make changes at GM and the coaching staff and the new front office will want to make their own interpretation on Johnny so they will keep him and draft a QB next year.

The only way Jerry gets him is if he pulls a trade but it would be for a late round pick and I don't think a new GM and front office would do that without seeing him up-close to do their own evaluation.

Yes I am a Dallas fain

Manziel has improved his play on the field. He just got a major slap upside the head being benched in front of a national TV audience. That had to kill him since he craves and feeds on celebrity status more than hanging out drinking with college kids so that dressing-down had to get through to his ego. That really hurt him more than he let on. I think he won't ever risk losing a shot like that again.

Johnny will start again before the year is over but nothing will be determined with him. The Browns will make changes at GM and the coaching staff and the new front office will want to make their own interpretation on Johnny so they will keep him and draft a QB next year.

The only way Jerry gets him is if he pulls a trade but it would be for a late round pick and I don't think a new GM and front office would do that without seeing him up-close to do their own evaluation.
If they clean house other than Johnny you have to see how that enables him.

Why would this change anything? He went to rehab and came out and had an incident with his girlfriend after drinking. Was given his dream job, NFL starting QB. He was told not to be in the news. He said he would not embarrass the club. He still could not lay low. He went out partying and videoing it. Then he lies and tries to cover it up like a high school freshman. If they then give him the starting job AND keep him while firing everyone in charge, how does that teach him a lesson? What it teaches him is you are Johnny F'n Football and you'll always be a QB. I don't think this killed him, I think he figures he'll get his shot again, big deal.

Crawling back to him does not teach him a lesson, it shows him he won.

And while his on field play has improved, it is not like he has looked like a future star. He just has managed not to look as awful.

I get why people are still enamored with him, I just think it is a mistake. I don;t think his upside is that huge, and he has shown you his flaws over and over again, and I do not see any reason to think he has changed.

Yes I am a Dallas fain

Why would this change anything? He went to rehab and came out and had an incident with his girlfriend after drinking. Was given his dream job, NFL starting QB. He was told not to be in the news. He said he would not embarrass the club. He still could not lay low. He went out partying and videoing it. Then he lies and tries to cover it up like a high school freshman. If they then give him the starting job AND keep him while firing everyone in charge, how does that teach him a lesson? What it teaches him is you are Johnny F'n Football and you'll always be a QB. I don't think this killed him, I think he figures he'll get his shot again, big deal.

And while his on field play has improved, it is not like he has looked like a future star. He just has managed not to look as awful.

I get why people are still enamored with him, I just think it is a mistake. I don;t think his upside is that huge, and he has shown you his flaws over and over again, and I do not see any reason to think he has changed.
Odd, not really, that you are acting like a Dallas Texas fan who wants the Browns to cut Johnny Manziel so the Boys can get him for nothing but it doesn't matter on how this one plays out.

The Browns will clean house.

The new staff won't be given the juice to make decisions on personnel. The new front office won't move him for nothing without seeing him up close for themselves. They will keep him and draft someone.

I think you're wrong about the new front office. Whoever it is probably already has their mind made up about him and will act accordingly.

Yes I am a Dallas fain

Odd, not really, that you are acting like a Dallas Texas fan who wants the Browns to cut Johnny Manziel so the Boys can get him for nothing but it doesn't matter on how this one plays out.

The Browns will clean house.

The new staff won't be given the juice to make decisions on personnel. The new front office won't move him for nothing without seeing him up close for themselves. They will keep him and draft someone.
I assure you the LAST think i want is Manziel on the Cowboys. Mixing him with folks like Dez and Hardy and the poster child for enablers Jerry Jones would be a disaster. I'd rather have RG3 (and I do not want him either). I also do not think he is that good, I do not think he ever will be that good.

You may be right, but it is an absolute mistake to tell Johnny he can do and say whatever he wants, and in a battle between him and the coach he'll win. If this franchise is going to improve it cannot keep repeating its mistakes and doubling down on poor decisions, and Johnny has been one long poor decision.

Yes I am a Dallas fain

Why would this change anything? He went to rehab and came out and had an incident with his girlfriend after drinking did nothing illegal. Was given his dream job, NFL starting QB. He was told not to be in the news. He said he would not embarrass the club. He still could not lay low. He went out partying and videoing it did nothing illegal. Then he lies and tries to cover it up does nothing illegal like a high school freshman. If they then give him the starting job AND keep him while firing everyone in charge, how does that teach him a lesson? What it teaches him is you are Johnny F'n Football and you'll always be a QB. I don't think this killed him, I think he figures he'll get his shot again, big deal.

Not enamored with him at all, but none of the stuff he has done this season even makes the back page if he isn't JFF.

I really don't even care who, but I don't want to keep cycling through QBs. These guys drafted JFF and they're getting JFF.

dear lord what about Pettine's defense these past 2 yrs instills confidence to run be a good DC even? buffalo had way better payers and his other job was working for rex ryan (who i'm sure was very involved w/ the D)

MAC_32 said:
I think you're wrong about the new front office. Whoever it is probably already has their mind made up about him and will act accordingly.
dunno about that. there's still 5 games and if we lose out (very probable imo) we'll have a top 2 pick. any GM would have to pick a "franchise" qb there after the past few seasons for the browns.

burning the 21st pick was bad enough (not to mention the farmer trade up).

dear lord what about Pettine's defense these past 2 yrs instills confidence to run be a good DC even? buffalo had way better payers and his other job was working for rex ryan (who i'm sure was very involved w/ the D)
I think this year is all O'Neil. The problem is Pettine won't intervene, which from a head coaching perspective is a huge problem. Not judging his DC abilities his year though.

Farmer yes, but I think Haslam might be sick of his ####.

LOL nice work.

Did I say otherwise?

huh?
That is why I will never look at "expert" rankings. My own (along with many people I talk to) are way better.

I think he has let the Browns down. I think they need to move on.
I would rather know than think. Let's find out so we know. Starting Davis is a waste of 5 games.

For those thinking that starting JF would send a bad message, I disagree. However, I will humor you and agree for second. Even if if did, SO WHAT??? That does not change the fact that we can use these 5 games to see if the guy improves more and see how he plays in multiple games. That is more important than the message our entire soon to be fired coaching/FO staff sends.

It would need to be Haslem stepping in. If Haslem stepped in and the coaches said no, well, then yeah, they are fired.

Users who are viewing this thread