What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Cleveland Browns (15 Viewers)

1. If you were a believer in McCoy, not getting a deal done for RG3. Looks like the Rams screwed the pooch here too.
Browns were never giving up all those picks for RGIII. Glad they didn't too.
2. Telling McCoy yesterday that you weren't drafting a QB. That outright lie will bite them in the behind down the road.
Bummer. #### happens. Deal with it McCoy.
3. Using that second first on Wheeden at that time. They needed to either trade down or draft another player and then use #37 to move back into the first. They easily could have had a top ten talent and Wheeden if they had played things correctly.
There's no way of knowing who would be where at #37 or who could trade up at anytime to grab Weeden. They liked him, they wanted him, they took him. Don't think that makes it a bad decision.
The problem with stuff happens is that once this is out the rest of the team doesn't have any faith in what mgmt says. There was no need to say anything to him.There was know way of knowing that Miami wouldn't have taken Wheeden with the 7th pick, but you play the probabilities. There can't be much demand for a "franchise" QB with half of his playing years behind him.So what do the Browns do next year if they have another top 5 pick...take a look at Landry Jones and have 3 Big12 QBs?

2. Telling McCoy yesterday that you weren't drafting a QB. That outright lie will bite them in the behind down the road.
i supposethere was no reason that #### had to happen thoughmaking a habit of lying to players for no reason is just a poor ideadeal with them like men
Broncos and Jets this offseason both made what the Browns did to Colt look miniscule with treatment of their quarterbacks. It's a dawg eat dawg business.

i supposethere was no reason that #### had to happen thoughmaking a habit of lying to players for no reason is just a poor ideadeal with them like men
Broncos and Jets this offseason both made what the Browns did to Colt look miniscule with treatment of their quarterbacks. It's a dawg eat dawg business.
it's not like they traded up for Weeden. they took the next guy on their board. it was a QB. sorry, Colt. nobody's job is guaranteed in the NFL.

1. If you were a believer in McCoy, not getting a deal done for RG3. Looks like the Rams screwed the pooch here too.
3. Using that second first on Wheeden at that time. They needed to either trade down or draft another player and then use #37 to move back into the first. They easily could have had a top ten talent and Wheeden if they had played things correctly.
There's no way of knowing who would be where at #37 or who could trade up at anytime to grab Weeden. They liked him, they wanted him, they took him. Don't think that makes it a bad decision.
The problem with stuff happens is that once this is out the rest of the team doesn't have any faith in what mgmt says. There was no need to say anything to him.There was know way of knowing that Miami wouldn't have taken Wheeden with the 7th pick, but you play the probabilities. There can't be much demand for a "franchise" QB with half of his playing years behind him.So what do the Browns do next year if they have another top 5 pick...take a look at Landry Jones and have 3 Big12 QBs?
Not thrilled about lying to Colt but it is what it is. :shrug:Radio speculating now that Colt is gone by end of the day today.

Uncle Rizzy teasing that McCoy might be traded today for a pick tonight. I can't believe it but that would be sweet.

I feel bad for the way Colt is being treated but at the end of the day this is a business and GLM said it best, #### happens, move on. Those checks got cashed, dude didn't play for free.

did the broncos ever tell tebow they were not looking at manning?ditto the jets and sanchezit is not drafting him, it is telling McCoy that day that they were not picking a QBno need to do that

The problem with stuff happens is that once this is out the rest of the team doesn't have any faith in what mgmt says. There was no need to say anything to him.There was know way of knowing that Miami wouldn't have taken Wheeden with the 7th pick, but you play the probabilities. There can't be much demand for a "franchise" QB with half of his playing years behind him.

So what do the Browns do next year if they have another top 5 pick...take a look at Landry Jones and have 3 Big12 QBs?
Not thrilled about lying to Colt but it is what it is. :shrug: Radio speculating now that Colt is gone by end of the day today.
what it is is unnecessary

Slept on it... had a bit of a change of heart. here's what I settled on

We panicked. Twice.

But, we panicked to get two guys we were apparently "in love with".

We "panicked" that someone would leapfrog us to #3 to get Richardson, who was our clear #1 target. I have no problem with this move, whatsoever. When it comes to a once in a lifetime player, you make that move.

With Weeden, we panicked because we lost the guy were likely truly after, in Kendall Wright. Browns probably sat back, feet in the air, expecting the Titans et al to pass on him and snag him at the 22. They didn't. We panicked. We grabbed the guy we likely would have taken with our early 2nd (and perhaps moved up a few spots to get)

In the end, we got 2 guys our mgmt was clearly after, and lost out on one. I guess I can;t complain too much, even if I think it was a panic move to ensure they landed the other guy.

I respect the mgmt for going after what we wanted, I just don't fully support the move at this moment in time.

Time will tell.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Brandon Weeden file

Ht./wt./40 time: 6-4, 221, 4.92

Comments: Rocket arm with quick release. Ball shoots out of hand, the product of smooth mechanics. Can make all the NFL throws, especially those on West Coast route tree, with accuracy. Teamed with Justin Blackmon to form one of college football's most lethal QB/WR duos in recent memory. Former second-round pick of New York Yankees. Spent years in minors; age (turns 29 in October) prevented him from being top-10 pick. High football IQ. More athletic than he appears.

2011: 4,727 passing yards, 37 TD, 13 INT. Quarterbacks he beat included Griffin III, Luck and Tannehill.
:thumbup: :thumbup:

Love that the Steelers passed on Dont'a Hightower. Thought for sure we'd be staring at that guy for the next 7 years.
Yeah, but hate seeing them get DeCastro.And as for Heckert and Holmgren replacing players, I have no problem having the courage to admit mistakes and correct them. Not for anything, with the amount of b####ing going on, if we went Blackmon at 4 and RT at 22, are you really comfortable going into the season with Colt and Hardesty? Too many teams spend too many times trying to squeeze blood from a stone to prove their decisions were right (Cough, cough, Jets/Sanchez, cough, cough).

I sure the hell wasn't comfortable with it.

According to Bill Huber of the Packer Report, the Packers are considering a trade for Browns QB Colt McCoy.

Related: Browns

Source: Scout.com

Browns fans, you are stuck with me posting in your threads for awhile, as I'm a massive Richardson fan and will be closely following his career.

Weeden is a boom or bust QB. He has to learn things quickly, but he has the skills and maturity to do so.

All you can do right now is wait and see. If he turns out to be special, than you guys could make a quick jump in your division, as your defense is already good.

Weeden basically holds the future of your entire management staff in his hands, and I think his skills are considerably better than Colt McCoy's.

If Weeden is a hit, than you guys might have had an absolutely amazing first round. Not often you can get a top QB and a pro bowl RB in one round of one draft.

The positives are huge, but there are still a bunch of negatives. Weeden has been throwing against shaky Big 12 defenses. Now he's going against the Steelers and Ravens. It will be a huge adjustment.

Hopefully his maturity will get him through the first year, and then his talent will take over.

I question the move up to get him, and I question the value of the position in today's NFL, but TRich is the one guy I did not want to see end up on a divisional rival. Stud. Identity changer for your franchise.

Weeden, impressive kid...I guess time will tell.

Browns fans should at least have reason to be optimistic.

The Brandon Weeden file

Ht./wt./40 time: 6-4, 221, 4.92

Comments: Rocket arm with quick release. Ball shoots out of hand, the product of smooth mechanics. Can make all the NFL throws, especially those on West Coast route tree, with accuracy. Teamed with Justin Blackmon to form one of college football's most lethal QB/WR duos in recent memory. Former second-round pick of New York Yankees. Spent years in minors; age (turns 29 in October) prevented him from being top-10 pick. High football IQ. More athletic than he appears.

2011: 4,727 passing yards, 37 TD, 13 INT. Quarterbacks he beat included Griffin III, Luck and Tannehill.
:thumbup: :thumbup:
After sleeping on it, the only downside I see on Weeden is his age. But maybe that means he'll be ready to lead more quickly. I think we upgraded the most important position on the field. My only hesitation is that I just wonder if we could have gotten him later. But with all of the movement that was happening last night, why risk it? I love the Browns and I choose optimism. :excited: :unsure:

According to Bill Huber of the Packer Report, the Packers are considering a trade for Browns QB Colt McCoy.Related: BrownsSource: Scout.com
Grossi also reported that the teams have been in contact and believes Colt will be dealt by the end of the day.I've heard Dallas may have interest as well. I'm guessing there are at least a handful of teams that would be willing to bring in McCoy if the price is right.

I question the move up to get him, and I question the value of the position in today's NFL, but TRich is the one guy I did not want to see end up on a divisional rival. Stud. Identity changer for your franchise.

People are questioning the move, Treat. However, when the Bucs traded up to get Doug Martin and the Vikes were doing anything and everything to squeeze extra picks out of someone for the #3, I'm not so sure that the Vikings wouldn't have took Tampa's 5th or 6th rounder if that was the only game in town. Cleveland did what they had to do to get their guy. Tampa took a RB later which tells me they were after Richardson. Cleveland, with 13 picks, did what they needed to do to get their guy. It's a heckuva lot cheaper than the cost was to go from #4 to #2.Weeden is impressive. Age isn't a factor to me considering Weeden is 28 with little tread wear and no concussion history that I know of. I'll take 6 or 7 years out of him and be happy.

I am optimistic.

ETA: Per Dre Knott's Twitter Heckert told him that he had Weeden ranked #13 on his draft board.

Vikings GM Rick Spielman informed the Browns last evening that he had a competing offer for Trent Richardson at No. 3 overall.

"And I beat it. We were pretty fired up," said Browns GM Tom Heckert. "Trent was the guy we really wanted and I'm glad it worked out." Spielman also confirmed to SI's Peter King that the Bucs were "hot on TRich's tail" to the point that the Browns "had to pony up."
That's the #### I like to read.We wanted it and we went full on to get it!!!!

Man, we've been missing that.

Now move up today if you have to, get WR Hill, and Ill be a happy man.

Vikings GM Rick Spielman informed the Browns last evening that he had a competing offer for Trent Richardson at No. 3 overall.

"And I beat it. We were pretty fired up," said Browns GM Tom Heckert. "Trent was the guy we really wanted and I'm glad it worked out." Spielman also confirmed to SI's Peter King that the Bucs were "hot on TRich's tail" to the point that the Browns "had to pony up."

Not as high on Hill as others are. Would prefer Randle.

I know this is a deep WR draft and some of you have voiced displeasure about this guy, but if we're going WR at 37 give me Alshon Jeffrey if he's there.

I'm not suprised at all that this is coming out. Alot of people in the Minny/Cle trade thread and other people calling it a panic move have no clue.No way do I want them to move up for Hill...if he falls and that's their guy, fine...otherwise take OL.

Not as high on Hill as others are. Would prefer Randle.
ESPN's Bob Holtzman reported on SportsCenter that Stephen Hill of Georgia Tech may be as high as the No. 3-rated receiver on the Browns' draft board.

It sounds like Justin Blackmon was No. 1 and Kendall Wright was No. 2. The Browns must not have been particularly high on Michael Floyd. Cleveland currently holds the 37th pick, but there are rumors that teams may be willing to trade up to No. 33 for Hill. We'd expect Hill to be a Brown if he gets to 37.
We'll see... looks like they may go WR, regardless.

People are questioning the move, Treat. However, when the Bucs traded up to get Doug Martin and the Vikes were doing anything and everything to squeeze extra picks out of someone for the #3, I'm not so sure that the Vikings wouldn't have took Tampa's 5th or 6th rounder if that was the only game in town. Cleveland did what they had to do to get their guy. Tampa took a RB later which tells me they were after Richardson. Cleveland, with 13 picks, did what they needed to do to get their guy. It's a heckuva lot cheaper than the cost was to go from #4 to #2.Weeden is impressive. Age isn't a factor to me considering Weeden is 28 with little tread wear and no concussion history that I know of. I'll take 6 or 7 years out of him and be happy.

I am optimistic.

ETA: Per Dre Knott's Twitter Heckert told him that he had Weeden ranked #13 on his draft board.
No arguments man.

They identified their guy and went and got him this time. I can't fault them for clarity.

I think they tried to make the moves to make themselves relevant as quickly as possible, I'm not sure those moves are the same as ones that are about the best long term interests of the team, but then again, I'm a Steeler fan I view things through that lens when it comes to the AFC North...take me with a grain of salt.

You should be optimistic, Richardson is a hell of a player.

Love that the Steelers passed on Dont'a Hightower. Thought for sure we'd be staring at that guy for the next 7 years.
Yeah, but hate seeing them get DeCastro.
:goodposting: Instead of having DeCastro, Thomas, and Mack manning the left side of the line in front of Trent Richardson (visions of Sean Alexander in his hey day dancing in my head) we reach for a 2nd rate QB, set the franchise back 5 years, then let the effing Steelers take him 2 picks later.Same ole' Browns. :bag:

:goodposting: Instead of having DeCastro, Thomas, and Mack manning the left side of the line in front of Trent Richardson (visions of Sean Alexander in his hey day dancing in my head) we reach for a 2nd rate QB, set the franchise back 5 years, then let the effing Steelers take him 2 picks later.

Same ole' Browns. :bag:
:lmao: Come on.

Anyway, Browns need a RT, not a Guard.

Kurt Warner "I was 28 when I started my first game"

Not saying Weeden will be Warner, but it just shows that age can be overcome. I'm sure all Brown fans would be giddy about getting TRich and a 28 yr old Warner in the same draft

hill. jeffery. martin. glenn or massie?

Glenn would be delish, as he can apparently do well at RT along w guard. can anyone comment on that?

:goodposting: Instead of having DeCastro, Thomas, and Mack manning the left side of the line in front of Trent Richardson (visions of Sean Alexander in his hey day dancing in my head) we reach for a 2nd rate QB, set the franchise back 5 years, then let the effing Steelers take him 2 picks later.

Same ole' Browns. :bag:
:lmao: Come on.

Anyway, Browns need a RT, not a Guard.
An offensive line with Pinkston and Lauvao on the right side and those monsters on the left side is better than one with Pinkston and Lauvao at guard and a Reiff or a Massie type at RT. DeCastro is a manimal.

hill. jeffery. martin. glenn or massie?Glenn would be delish, as he can apparently do well at RT along w guard. can anyone comment on that?
Glenn can't play tackle in the NFL, I'd rather have Massie or Martin. But we'll probably go with one of those WR's (Hill, Randle, or Alshon) and my head will explode.

Kurt Warner "I was 28 when I started my first game"Not saying Weeden will be Warner, but it just shows that age can be overcome. I'm sure all Brown fans would be giddy about getting TRich and a 28 yr old Warner in the same draft
Staubach was 27 when he got to the NFL.
And Tim Couch and Jamarcus Russell were 22 when they got to the NFL. Don't know why age is such an issue, it's not like players spend 10 years with teams any more. If the guy's talented, take him. Plus, like I said before, he's got no concussion history or major injuries.

hill. jeffery. martin. glenn or massie?Glenn would be delish, as he can apparently do well at RT along w guard. can anyone comment on that?
Glenn can't play tackle in the NFL, I'd rather have Massie or Martin. But we'll probably go with one of those WR's (Hill, Randle, or Alshon) and my head will explode.
Would you do Alshon if it was a 3?
I have no problems with any of these gambles in the 3rd, not now though. There are just as many questions about them as there are the WR's that will go in the 3rd and 4th. So many better options in the 2nd than one of these landmines.

Serious Question

The Browns reportedly had our choices narrowed down to two guys (common belief is TRich and Claiborne)

So... Why wouldn't the Browns be balls deep after Janoris Jenkins with their 2nd round pick?

All signs and scouts claim this guy is a top 10 talent, but has the off-field issues dragging him down.

Do we take the risk and get a guy who names like Cosell have ranked above Claiborne? Is it worth it? If we were willing to draft CB at #4, why not here?

Serious Question

The Browns reportedly had our choices narrowed down to two guys (common belief is TRich and Claiborne)

So... Why wouldn't the Browns be balls deep after Janoris Jenkins with their 2nd round pick?

All signs and scouts claim this guy is a top 10 talent, but has the off-field issues dragging him down.

Do we take the risk and get a guy who names like Cosell have ranked above Claiborne? Is it worth it? If we were willing to draft CB at #4, why not here?
Doesn't feel like a Heckert pick. He strays away from anything risky in free agency and hasn't taken a potential malcontent in the first 3 rounds of any draft since he got here.I am irate about a lot of things this regime does, but avoiding these types isn't one of them. Let the other 31 teams fight over idiots like Jenkins.

Kurt Warner "I was 28 when I started my first game"Not saying Weeden will be Warner, but it just shows that age can be overcome. I'm sure all Brown fans would be giddy about getting TRich and a 28 yr old Warner in the same draft
Staubach was 27 when he got to the NFL.
And Tim Couch and Jamarcus Russell were 22 when they got to the NFL. Don't know why age is such an issue, it's not like players spend 10 years with teams any more. If the guy's talented, take him. Plus, like I said before, he's got no concussion history or major injuries.
That's what I like to hear!

I get the feeling Claiborne was a plan C all along. I'm not sure they were all that enthused about grabbing him with the #4 pick.... could be wrong obviously.

As far as the offensive linemen available? Well, there were a lot available at 22, and there are still a lot available today.... there's probably a reason for that.

I'm more interested in the 2nd round pick after yesterday.

If anything, this has been a fun ride.

Maybe Fleener if he gets past the Colts...with the WR depth we can still pick up later this might not be a bad idea.

Users who are viewing this thread