What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Cleveland Browns (2 Viewers)

Faust said:
I like Rob Rang's picks. RT, DT.

I wonder if there are "maturity" rehab centers...
OL is well down their list of needs. Cannot afford to use a 1st rd pick there when they have bigger needs at NT, pass rusher, WR, and TE.
OL had BETTER be addressed, especially C, since Mack is likely gone after this season.
they need at minimum a mid round guy with a high floor that can play center and guard.

amnesiac said:
daveR said:
Faust said:

OL is well down their list of needs. Cannot afford to use a 1st rd pick there when they have bigger needs at NT, pass rusher, WR, and TE.
OL had BETTER be addressed, especially C, since Mack is likely gone after this season.
they need at minimum a mid round guy with a high floor that can play center and guard.
My $.02...

QB -- Need one, can't get one.

RB -- Sufficiently staffed. A superstar might be interesting to add.

WR -- Our corps is pretty deep. Again, a superstar might be interesting.

TE -- We were counting on JCam. He fell short. Big hole left behind. Not a first-round-worthy draft option.

OL -- LT, LG look great. C likely to opt out & backups are marginal. RG meh. RT meh. I like the idea of adding a mauler at RT.

DL -- Loss of Phil Taylor to injury showed their mediocrity. Additional run-stuffer needed. Maybe two.

OLB - Kruger did decent. Need Mingo to emerge. Backups are okay.

ILB -- Need that inside dominance, a tackling machine, a "presence".

CB -- Looking very good. Hope Gilbert develops which would make them outstanding.

S -- Good. Could be better with a superstar.

If I got the guys R Rang suggests in round 1, I would be very happy!

On the audio interview that is on the page, O'Neil goes into more detail and is even more feisty than the few quotes that were used in the article.

http://www.clevelandbrowns.com/news/article-5/Browns-defensive-coordinator-Jim-O%E2%80%99Neil-%E2%80%98We-will-stop-the-run-next-year%E2%80%99/f97c585e-216b-4be2-b5c0-c07b381708ef?campaign=cle:fanshare:facebook

Browns defensive coordinator Jim O’Neil: ‘We will stop the run next year’Posted 19 hours ago

Coaches have been bunkered in Berea to ‘build a bully on defense’

On a blustery January day in Cleveland, just after the NFL season ended, Browns defensive coordinator Jim O’Neil and the entire defensive staff locked themselves in a meeting room on the second floor of the team facility.

For 13 hours.

Sandwiches were eaten on the go. A swift, 20-minute workout time was permitted. Every single defensive play from the 2014 season was dissected, both the fantastic and the ugly. Constructive criticism was hurled from all different angles.

The purpose of the meeting? How to fix Cleveland’s run defense, which ranked 32nd in the NFL last season.

“We’re going to stop the run. And I want to say that again – we will stop the run next year,” O’Neil said Thursday during an appearance on Cleveland Browns Daily.

There were several epiphanies from what is now being coined by some as the “defensive summit.”

And one of the bigger takeaways is that the defensive line has unfairly shouldered most of the blame for running backs being galloping through the

Browns defense. It takes all 11 players to stop the run, a theme that got away from the Browns last season but will be stressed the minute the players walk through the doors April 20.

“It’s not an easy fix but it starts with me,” O’Neil said about making the proper adjustments.

O’Neil’s comment means a few things. One, several slight tweaks to the scheme have been discussed and will be taught in the classroom setting and during OTAs. It was less challenging for the coaches to break down the film now that it was all of the Browns instead of prior cut-ups of coach Mike Pettine’s system with the Bills and Jets.

And secondly, now that the coaching staff has a proper grasp on what exactly the personnel on defense can do, O’Neil can line certain players in different positions where he knows they can succeed.

And if not?

“Players get better naturally Year 2 in the system and if some guys don’t get it fixed, they are not going to be out there,” O’Neil said. “That’s what we’ve been doing most of the offseason – figuring out each player’s biggest strengths as opposed to installing an entirely new system. And I think guys will feel comfortable in Year 2 knowing when they can take more chances. We will go more graduate level with the material.”

Much has been made of Cleveland’s 2015 offseason, but O’Neil unveiled this anecdote few know: Several of the Browns’ defensive coaches had offers to move on to other teams, some with rather large promotions. But the entire staff is back for a second season. That, alone, spoke volumes to O’Neil, who said his group of coaches and players are unequivocally committed and truly believe they can turn the Browns into a regular playoff contender.

“We are going to build a dominating, intimidating group that the Dawg Pound can be proud of,” O’Neil said. “We are going to knock players down and we’re not going to help them up. We are going to build a bully on defense.”

27th in the league in sacks won't do it. They need players that can consistently get to the quarterback.

Amazing they had so many ints. without good/great pass rushers.

Looking back, teams ran all over them and didn't need to pass as much. So they had fewer pass rush opps then average. San Diego was similar but had a little better offense that kept the defense off the field. Not much though. They really aren't too far off from being considered good. That QB is the main problem spot as has been since 1999

Last edited by a moderator:
27th in the league in sacks won't do it. They need players that can consistently get to the quarterback.
Listen to the interview. Its not that long.

O'Neil addresses the pass rush. He says you first have to stop the run, and I'm paraphrasing here but then he say after you stop the run you force the offense into passing situations and then the defense can attack the passer.

Amazing they had so many ints. without good/great pass rushers.

Looking back, teams ran all over them and didn't need to pass as much. So they had fewer pass rush opps then average. San Diego was similar but had a little better offense that kept the defense off the field. Not much though. They really aren't too far off from being considered good. That QB is the main problem spot as has been since 1999
We need more pin your ears back situations. I wonder what the percentage of 2nd/3rd and "long" situations was where we generated a sack...versus what the best pash rush teams had.

Re-reading my $.02 post, I have concluded that we'd be a better team if we could just add 6 superstars, LOL!

@SiriusXMNFL: #Eagles & #Browns collaborate in a massive trade in todays MTC Mock Draft! Take a listen ---> http://t.co/Nc5DfCre7C

Interesting trade scenario. Browns give up their first selection in round one to the Eagles in exchange for Mychal Kendricks, pick 20, & Eagles 2nd round pick, with Sam Bradford heading to Cleveland. With the 20th pick he Browns select the ASU WR Strong.

ETA: of course this would net the Eagles Mariota

Last edited by a moderator:
@SiriusXMNFL: #Eagles & #Browns collaborate in a massive trade in todays MTC Mock Draft! Take a listen ---> http://t.co/Nc5DfCre7C

Interesting trade scenario. Browns give up their first selection in round one to the Eagles in exchange for Mychal Kendricks, pick 20, & Eagles 2nd round pick, with Sam Bradford heading to Cleveland. With the 20th pick he Browns select the ASU WR Strong.

Lets get this straight. The Browns trade the #12 pick in exchange for that this mock trade says Cleveland would get:

- #20 pick in the 1st round of the 2015 NFL draft

- #52 pick in the 2nd round of the 2015 NFL draft

- QB Sam Bradford

- LB Mychal Kendricks who was their 2nd pick in the 2012 draft

Chip Kelly has already traded his 2016 2nd round and 2016 4th round draft picks to St. Louis in the Nick Foles - Sam Bradford deal and he reportedly turned down the Browns offer of trading their #19 pick but he would then turn around and offer all of that for the #12 pick and he'd probably still have to give up his 2016 1st round pick to move-up even further for Mariota because if he deal Bradford he won't have a QB so I'm guessing that is the reason he'd make that offer.

Um, can't say I see that happening but I'd take that deal in a New York minute.

I wouldn't throw out Johnny Football just yet!

I still think he can be a successful And winning QB in this league...
April 1st was two days ago...
ESPN Cleveland ‏@ESPNCleveland 7h7 hours ago

Grossi: I don't think the #Browns are counting on Johnny Manziel but they aren't throwing him aside either.

-----------

Daryl Ruiter ‏@RuiterWrongFAN Apr 2

If the #Browns "are close" to "giving up" on Johnny Manziel, the last thing they'd do is leak that to the media

--------------------

We may have given up expectation he is starter material but it seems like he will get a chance if/when he comes back clean.

Lets get this straight. The Browns trade the #12 pick in exchange for that this mock trade says Cleveland would get:

- #20 pick in the 1st round of the 2015 NFL draft

- #52 pick in the 2nd round of the 2015 NFL draft

- QB Sam Bradford

- LB Mychal Kendricks who was their 2nd pick in the 2012 draft

Chip Kelly has already traded his 2016 2nd round and 2016 4th round draft picks to St. Louis in the Nick Foles - Sam Bradford deal and he reportedly turned down the Browns offer of trading their #19 pick but he would then turn around and offer all of that for the #12 pick and he'd probably still have to give up his 2016 1st round pick to move-up even further for Mariota because if he deal Bradford he won't have a QB so I'm guessing that is the reason he'd make that offer.

Um, can't say I see that happening but I'd take that deal in a New York minute.
LOL, I was trying to figure out WTF is up with that mock draft so I went to the Sirius Twitter feed to try and figure it out and that mock is a complete joke.

Take a look at the feed of that mock on their twitter page, its laughable.

------

SiriusXM NFL Radio @SiriusXMNFL · 3h 3 hours ago

With the first pick in the 2015 MTC Mock Draft, Jim @15miller and the Tampa Bay Buccaneers select, USC DL, Leonard Williams!

-------------------------------

Instead of cutting and pasting all of the twitter clutter I'll just post the picks and will put in all of the trades they list.

1. Tampa Bay - DT Leonard Williams

2. *TRADE* Cleveland (from Tennessee) - QB Marcus Mariota

(Cleveland trades #12 pick plus #19 pick plus 2016 3rd round pick to Tennessee)

3. Jacksonville - OLB/DE Vic Beasley

4. *TRADE* St. Louis - (from Oakland) - QB Jamies Winston

(St. Louis trades #10 pick and 2016 #2 pick to Oakland)

5. Washington - OG Brandon Scherff

6. NY Jets - DE/OLB Dante Fowler

7. Chicago - DT Danny Shelton

8. Atlanta - DE/OLB Alvin 'Bud' Dupree

9. *TRADE* New Orleans (from NY Giants) - WR Kevin White

(New Orleans trades OG Jari Evans and the #13 pic to the Giants)

10. *Oakland (from St. Louis see above trade details) - WR Amari Cooper

11. Minnesota - CB Trae Wayans

12. *Tennessee (from Cleveland) - OT La'el Collins

13. *NY Giants (from New Orleans) - S Landon Collins

14. Miami - OC/OG Cam Erving

15. San Francisco - WR Dorial Green Beckam

16. *TRADE* Oakland (from Houston) - OLB/DE Randy Gregory

(Oakland trades both picks of round 2 to Houston)

17. San Diego - RB Todd Gurley

18. Kansas City - WR DeVante Parker

19. *Tennessee (from Cleveland) - DT Malcolm Brown

20. *TRADE* Cleveland (from New Orleans) - WR Jalen Strong

(Cleveland trades QB Marcus Mariota, New Orleans trades QB Sam Bradford - LB Mychal Kendricks - 2015 second round pick #52 to Cleveland)

21. Cincinnati - OT Andrus Peat

22. Pittsburgh - TE Max Williams

23. Detroit - CB - Marcus Peters

24. Arizona - DE/OLB Shane Rey

25. Carolina - OT Ereck Flowers

26. Baltimore - DT/DE Arik Armstead

27. Dallas - RB Melvin Gordon

28. Denver - S/LB Shaq Thomson

29. Indianapolis - DT Eddie Goldman

30. Green Bay - LB Benardrick McKinney

31. *New Orleans (from Seattle) - OT TJ Clemmons

32. New England - DT Carl Davis
====

So according to this mock the Browns would trade-up to get QB Marcus Mariota and then turn around and trade him to Philadelphia.

The total cost of this deal to the Browns?

To trade up to the #2 pick to originally get MM it would cost:

- #12 pick

- #19 pick

- 3rd round pick in 2016

Then we would exchange Mariota for:

- QB Sam Bradford

- LB Mychal Kendricks

- #20 pick

- #52 pick

Ugh, basically a swap of Mariota for Bradford when you break it all down.

Overly complicated and silly.

I wouldn't throw out Johnny Football just yet!

I still think he can be a successful And winning QB in this league...
April 1st was two days ago...
ESPN Cleveland ‏@ESPNCleveland 7h7 hours ago Grossi: I don't think the #Browns are counting on Johnny Manziel but they aren't throwing him aside either.

-----------

Daryl Ruiter ‏@RuiterWrongFAN Apr 2

If the #Browns "are close" to "giving up" on Johnny Manziel, the last thing they'd do is leak that to the media

--------------------

We may have given up expectation he is starter material but it seems like he will get a chance if/when he comes back clean.
i wouldn't let him run the scout team.

My $.02...

QB -- Need one, can't get one.

RB -- Sufficiently staffed. A superstar might be interesting to add.

WR -- Our corps is pretty deep. Again, a superstar might be interesting.

TE -- We were counting on JCam. He fell short. Big hole left behind. Not a first-round-worthy draft option.

OL -- LT, LG look great. C likely to opt out & backups are marginal. RG meh. RT meh. I like the idea of adding a mauler at RT.

DL -- Loss of Phil Taylor to injury showed their mediocrity. Additional run-stuffer needed. Maybe two.

OLB - Kruger did decent. Need Mingo to emerge. Backups are okay.

ILB -- Need that inside dominance, a tackling machine, a "presence".

CB -- Looking very good. Hope Gilbert develops which would make them outstanding.

S -- Good. Could be better with a superstar.

If I got the guys R Rang suggests in round 1, I would be very happy!
I agree with pretty much you said, but I think we are alright with Dansby, Robertson and Kirksey at ILB.

I hope we adress WR and DL in round 1.

Hey, guess who Football Guy and ESPN Denver radio host interviewed on his show recently?

None other than Cleveland Brown WR Andrew Hawkins.

Fluff piece but Hawkins comes across as a laid back nice guy and chimes in on Johnny Manziel and tells about his journey to being an NFL wide receiver.

Good to hear a success story like Andrew Hawkins and to know a good guy like him is on the Browns and Cecil doesn't interview a ton of current NFL players so this is a good listen.

http://stationcaster.com/player_skinned.php?s=96&c=742&f=4201273

Andrew Hawkins with Cecil Lammey (9:41)

There's a line, but if we don't trade for Mariota then this season is more or less lost before it starts.

I support just about any trade for him and I'll be irate if someone else trades for him and pays anything less than two one's.

Expensive mulligan for not drafting Bridgewater, but, wins.

amnesiac said:
If we trade 12/19 and our 2016 1st to get Mariotta, I am likely to murder the closest person to me when I hear the news.
i agree, but what about the 1.12 and their second round pick to trade up to the 1.6 if he's still on the board?
Let's see.. Danny Shelton and a second tier WR for Marriotta. Personally, I'd consider it & probably decline, being unsure of Marriotta. If I felt pretty certain that he could stand in the pocket & read defenses, I'd be in. That's good value.

amnesiac said:
If we trade 12/19 and our 2016 1st to get Mariotta, I am likely to murder the closest person to me when I hear the news.
i agree, but what about the 1.12 and their second round pick to trade up to the 1.6 if he's still on the board?
Let's see.. Danny Shelton and a second tier WR for Marriotta. Personally, I'd consider it & probably decline, being unsure of Marriotta. If I felt pretty certain that he could stand in the pocket & read defenses, I'd be in. That's good value.
He's fine in the pocket. At this point in his development, I'd call him great actually.

There's a line, but if we don't trade for Mariota then this season is more or less lost before it starts.

I support just about any trade for him and I'll be irate if someone else trades for him and pays anything less than two one's.

You are saying what here? That Marcus Mariota makes the Browns for the 2015 season? Or that it doesn't matter if he doesn't play in 2015 because MM is without a doubt a legit NFL franchise QB?

I don't agree with either of those propositions because I don't know why people are so enamored with Mariota. Why? Because if we take him that we solve the QB issue and don't have to worry about the quarterback position?

Sorry, don't see it.

Too many questions, not enough answers.

You are saying what here? That Marcus Mariota makes the Browns for the 2015 season? Or that it doesn't matter if he doesn't play in 2015 because MM is without a doubt a legit NFL franchise QB?

I don't agree with either of those propositions because I don't know why people are so enamored with Mariota. Why? Because if we take him that we solve the QB issue and don't have to worry about the quarterback position?

Sorry, don't see it.

Too many questions, not enough answers.
You're not sold on him, so I don't expect you to agree with me.

It's gonna be funny when we're on the clock and Mariota is still there.

Total rehash of last year when people thought you had to move up to the start of the draft to get manziel/bridgewater

It's gonna be funny when we're on the clock and Mariota is still there.

Total rehash of last year when people thought you had to move up to the start of the draft to get manziel/bridgewater
Wha?? Who actually was making an argument that we should panic and move-up to draft a quarterback last year?

You're not sold on him, so I don't expect you to agree with me.
Certainly no one in this thread. :P

Here we go again. mac loves the qbs and i dont.

Let the games begin

Here we go again. mac loves the qbs and i dont.

Let the games begin
Sorry, I forget, you didn't like Teddy?

Users who are viewing this thread