What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Cleveland Browns (10 Viewers)

Bracie Smathers said:
mr fancypants said:
Blah blah blah. Another re-hashed old story line. Browns suck. We get it. Bad joke, old boring as hell and who is going to read that crap and why? Why the hell should anyone care anymore about this team? They don't and they even care enough to not care so just make them a commodity.

The NFL is based on marketing. They take advantage of anything marketing relates especially if its color coordinated. They also luv tradition, etc. The most NO-BRAIN gimmic they can do is have the annual Cleveland VS. Cincinnati Halloween battle for Ohio Thursday Night all orange and brown game at night where fans get into dressing-up and awarding prizes.

Instead of Dallas or Detroit getting a home-game every year, alternate it between CLE/CIN and make it fun because the Browns will never be taken seriously and they shouldn't so long as they win but how in the world has the NFL missed this golden marketing opportunity?
I think you're mixing up two different holidays.

ETA: I do like the annual Halloween game idea though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bracie Smathers said:
mr fancypants said:
Blah blah blah. Another re-hashed old story line. Browns suck. We get it. Bad joke, old boring as hell and who is going to read that crap and why? Why the hell should anyone care anymore about this team? They don't and they even care enough to not care so just make them a commodity.

The NFL is based on marketing. They take advantage of anything marketing relates especially if its color coordinated. They also luv tradition, etc. The most NO-BRAIN gimmic they can do is have the annual Cleveland VS. Cincinnati Halloween battle for Ohio Thursday Night all orange and brown game at night where fans get into dressing-up and awarding prizes.

Instead of Dallas or Detroit getting a home-game every year, alternate it between CLE/CIN and make it fun because the Browns will never be taken seriously and they shouldn't so long as they win but how in the world has the NFL missed this golden marketing opportunity?
I think you're mixing up two different holidays.

ETA: I do like the annual Halloween game idea though.
No I wasn't confused I wasn't clear enough and just didn't add the phrasing about Detroit or Dallas getting a guaranteed home Thursday THANKSGIVING day game every year creating a home field advantage where they don't have to travel on a short week.

If the NFL created a Halloween Thursday Night game between Cleveland Cincinnati and alternated the location then their would not be a home field advantage like both Detroit and Dallas have. I think fans would get into a new traditional game and it would create an entirely whole new marketing line that they could tap into.

Such low hanging fruit that I'm shocked they haven't taken advantage of this idea.

If the NFL created a Halloween Thursday Night game between Cleveland Cincinnati and alternated the location then their would not be a home field advantage like both Detroit and Dallas have. I think fans would get into a new traditional game and it would create an entirely whole new marketing line that they could tap into.
While it wouldn't be a home game, it could hardly be called an "away" game, either. Other than Baltimore/Washington, I don't think there are any two stadiums closer together.

While it wouldn't be a home game, it could hardly be called an "away" game, either. Other than Baltimore/Washington, I don't think there are any two stadiums closer together.
Here is the list and Cleveland/Cincinnati are far from the closest NFL teams in terms of location.

---------

http://www.footballgeography.com/list-of-every-nfl-team-and-the-nfl-team-they-are-closest-to/

List of Every NFL Team and the NFL Team They Are the Closest To

Okay, so it would be an hour flight instead of a bus trip. Granted, they would still be in that ####-hole of a state, but that would add no undue burden.

Jets and Giants' stadiums are pretty close. :unsure:

Okay, so it would be an hour flight instead of a bus trip. Granted, they would still be in that ####-hole of a state, but that would add no undue burden.
Well Ohio is the birthplace of the NFL and MLB as Canton was the first NFL team and Cincinnati had the first baseball team. Ohio is also the birthplace of six EDIT: EIGHT presidents, aviation, the first US built automobile, Edison's lightbulb and host of other inventions like the moving picture camera, Charles Goodyear and his invention of rubber, Plunket who invented Teflon, and a host of famous people to long to mention from Jesse Owens to Paul Newman.

So, football, baseball, flight, driving, movies, seeing at night and a whole host of things originated from Ohio.

Jets and Giants' stadiums are pretty close. :unsure:
49'ers & Raiders are less than 1 hour from each other as well.

Did you guys see this?

Got this from the Browns official feed so this is a legit account.

-----------------------------

.Retweeted 1,172 times

Ian RapoportVerified account ‏@RapSheet 55m55 minutes ago
The #Browns have engaged in discussions about potentially trading two of their best players: LT Joe Thomas and C Alex Mack, sources say.

---------------------------

I questioned this because C Alex Mack CAN'T be traded. Its in his contract where we can't trade him so I don't know where Rappoport got this from.

EDIT: PFT just picked up the story and they elaborate on the Alex Mack info:

Report: Browns have had discussions about trading Joe Thomas, Alex MackPosted by Josh Alper on November 1, 2015, 10:38 AM EST
The NFL’s trade deadline is Tuesday at 4 p.m. ET and the Browns have reportedly talked about parting ways with two integral members of their offensive line.

Ian Rapoport of NFL Media reports that the Browns have “engaged in discussions” about trading left tackle Joe Thomas and center Alex Mack. There’s no word on whether those discussions have reached a serious level, but dealing either would signal yet another turn toward the future for the 2-5 Browns.

Mack can opt out of his contract after this season, making him an appealing trade candidate if the Browns don’t think he’ll be in Cleveland for the long term. Rapoport adds that Mack has a no-trade clause in his contract that can be waived if the right team wants to add him to their roster.

Thomas is signed for three more years with cap numbers of $9.5 million or more each season, but none of his base salaries are guaranteed. He turns 31 in December, but his play hasn’t been in decline this season and there are plenty of teams that would see a big upgrade if they added him to their offensive line.In addition to the two offensive linemen, Adam Schefter of

ESPN reported on television Sunday morning that the team is also open to trading linebacker Paul Kruger. Kruger, who has just a half-sack on the season, is signed through 2017 with base salaries of $6.5 million and $7 million in the next two years.

Meh, worry about it Tuesday. Rapp is a pawn. He gets a bone every now and then, but most of his rumors are bs.

Trade them all. Fire everyone in the front office. Start the F over. Get off the treadmill.

This is the first time I have ever wanted to completely blow this thing up, so don't associate me with those people who want to do this every year every time.

It actually makes sense this time

So does Pettine get shown the door after they lose to Cincy on Thursday? I'd have to think people are fed up with the losing ways and poor coaching this season. How much slack does Pettine have on his leash? I'd have to think it's almost time to let him go.

So does Pettine get shown the door after they lose to Cincy on Thursday? I'd have to think people are fed up with the losing ways and poor coaching this season. How much slack does Pettine have on his leash? I'd have to think it's almost time to let him go.
Only scenario I can see is if Jimmy gives Pettine an ultimatum - him or Jim - and Pettine won't can Jim. Certainly possible, but I think they'll get until the end of the season. I still think the others are a bigger problem, but I'm not defending Pettine anymore until something changes. This team has gotten worse. Regardless of the piss poor talent he is given by Farmer players performing worse (and undisciplined) falls on the coach.

Only scenario I can see is if Jimmy gives Pettine an ultimatum - him or Jim - and Pettine won't can Jim. Certainly possible, but I think they'll get until the end of the season. I still think the others are a bigger problem, but I'm not defending Pettine anymore until something changes. This team has gotten worse. Regardless of the piss poor talent he is given by Farmer players performing worse (and undisciplined) falls on the coach.
if jimmy fires pettine, he's still on the hook for his contract. while jimmy is also currently paying chud's. any other former HC's that jimmy is scratching checks for now? oh, and they'll have to hire another HC.

doubt anyone else will agree, but i think Pettine should get one more year.

there are no moral victories, but they've only been blown out in two games, and Arizona is undefeated.

changing coaches every two years sucks.

there are no moral victories, but they've only been blown out in two games, and Arizona is undefeated.

the problem - in that scenario Farmer probably has to get another year too.

in my house we call them the cleaveland lay down some browns it is pretty cool and you can all use that nickname if you want i give you my permission take that to the bank brohans

So they aren't really serious about trading Joe Thomas. Would do it if offered a ton of picks, offer you can't refuse, type deal.

in my house we call them the cleaveland lay down some browns it is pretty cool and you can all use that nickname if you want i give you my permission take that to the bank brohans
you come in here and decide to drop some JHS turd humor? i sincerely hope a couple of your other 4k posts were readable.

maybe it was your winning pulltab tonight where you won free cheese curds and jello shots for the night and you fell into a lactose coma. that's a lot of smack for a fan (allegedly) of a team that just got destroyed last night.

take your inner rage to the GBP thread.

we have our own problems to deal with here.

in jimmy we trust.

:wall:

ETA: jimmy can't even run a truck stop business w/o federal charges, who TF thinks he has the stones or even any idea how to rebuild this disaster?

In reality yes, that is probably correct, because Haslem is a fool.

However, in any logical world, Petine should be able to retain his job if Farmer is fired. Farmer has ruined a roster that was already ruined, and that would be hard for the average fan to do if they were given the GM job for 2 years.

I don't really care if Petine is fired or not because he had zero pedigree coming in and was the best of a bad situation. However, it's not like he is some Shurmur type idiot who screws everything up. If they decide to keep him simply for "continuity" I would be ok with that in his case.

Farmer should go no matter what. Just terrible. NO MOVES would be better than the moves he made. He made one good trade. I still think the trade with Buffalo was a nice trade. Unfortunately he has whiffed horribly in the draft, and also in free agency. Not even sure which he has been worse at. Imagine how horrible things would be right now if Mccown wasn't actually playing at a legit NFL QB level?

As for trading players, if you are going to do that then you HAVE to keep Petine. You can't fire the GM, trade away your top players, AND go looking for a new coach. It has to be nearly impossible to get anything started in a building process doing that. At least keeping the coach you are able to retain a system and philosophy that the returning players are familiar with.

I know I am in the minority, but I WANT to trade Thomas, Mack, Haden, and a few other guys if possible. I really do not care at all how the rest of this season looks. If someone comes along with good offers for those guys, you take it. What is a good offer for Joe Thomas??? I don't know but if someone came and offered two 1sts (which there is no chance anyone would) that would be the easiest accept ever.

Problem is, Farmer probably thinks he is getting fired so is he REALLY going to do a ton of work making things happen? Likely no. Likely we are stuck spining out wheels with what we have.

The offense has played surprisingly competent, but we’re looking at a defense that is in bad need of new blood. I know that’s not exactly a revelation, but how can you surrender 34 points when you FORCE FOUR TURNOVERS?

There’s so much dead weight with several guys are right at or over 30. No real need to be on this team. I’m talking...

—Paul Kruger

—Donte Whitner

—Karlos Dansby (though he's played okay and is a good locker room guy, He'll turn 35 next year)

—Randy Starks

—Desmond Bryant

Mingo/Gilbert could probably go too, especially if a new GM enters the picture. Cap wise, I don’t know how hard this would be to pull off but the D needs 4-5 new starters.

I too, wouldn’t have my feelings hurt about trading Thomas. If we can get a first-rounder, I’d do it. He’s great, but he’s an offensive lineman and he’s just one player. The Browns problems run wayyyyy deeper. Plus I just feel bad for the guy wasting his talents on this bullcrap organization.

However, in any logical world, Petine should be able to retain his job if Farmer is fired.
When has telling a new GM you have to work with this coach ever worked? If you fire the GM then the new GM is hiring his own guy.

The offense has played surprisingly competent, but we’re looking at a defense that is in bad need of new blood. I know that’s not exactly a revelation, but how can you surrender 34 points when you FORCE FOUR TURNOVERS?

There’s so much dead weight with several guys are right at or over 30. No real need to be on this team. I’m talking...

—Paul Kruger

—Donte Whitner

—Karlos Dansby (though he's played okay and is a good locker room guy, He'll turn 35 next year)

—Randy Starks

—Desmond Bryant

Mingo/Gilbert could probably go too, especially if a new GM enters the picture. Cap wise, I don’t know how hard this would be to pull off but the D needs 4-5 new starters.

I too, wouldn’t have my feelings hurt about trading Thomas. If we can get a first-rounder, I’d do it. He’s great, but he’s an offensive lineman and he’s just one player. The Browns problems run wayyyyy deeper. Plus I just feel bad for the guy wasting his talents on this bullcrap organization.
I would be all for trading Mingo, Gilbert, Starks, Kruger, and Mack. I don't see any of them coming back next year if they have a choice, especially Mack. I'd rather try to get something for them now if possible.

I can see where Pettine may get another year, but it's another year of the same old thing. Mac is right, in that you can't expect a GM to walk into a job knowing he has to work with the coach that is already there. Most want to run with their own guy. Although, having Pettine there may prove to be a good scapegoat if the GM can't hit the ground running year one.

—Paul Kruger

—Donte Whitner

—Randy Starks

—Desmond Bryant

I would be all for trading Mingo, Gilbert, Starks, Kruger, and Mack. I don't see any of them coming back next year if they have a choice, especially Mack. I'd rather try to get something for them now if possible.

I can see where Pettine may get another year, but it's another year of the same old thing. Mac is right, in that you can't expect a GM to walk into a job knowing he has to work with the coach that is already there. Most want to run with their own guy. Although, having Pettine there may prove to be a good scapegoat if the GM can't hit the ground running year one.
Mangini-itis.

MAC_32 said:
ghostguy123 said:
MAC_32 said:
amnesiac said:

However, in any logical world, Petine should be able to retain his job if Farmer is fired.
When has telling a new GM you have to work with this coach ever worked? If you fire the GM then the new GM is hiring his own guy.
Does that hold true in Cleveland? Did Farmer bring in his own guy?

I guess the Brocos offered us their 1st but we wanted them to throw in LB Shaq Barrett and Elway turned us down but that was before last night when Ty Sambrillo (sp?) was lost for the season so they are in dire need.

We are asking 3rds for C Alex Mack and LB Barkevious Mingo. Mack reportedly has announced he will activate the no-trade clause in his contract so don't count on that one happening and I don't see anyone offering a 3rd for Mingo.

------

.Ian RapoportVerified account @RapSheet /RapSheet/status/661558259472588800On the #Browns: I hear they want more than a 1st for Joe Thomas, wanted a 3rd for Alex Mack, want a 3rd for Mingo. Steep on all accounts.

-----

From Grossi's column this morning:

-----

... According to a source, the Browns had talks with the Denver Broncos early in the season after Denver lost left tackle Ryan Clady to injury in the preseason. The Broncos were willing to part with their first-round pick in 2016, but the Browns also asked for second-year linebacker Shaq Barrett, and that apparently killed the deal.

So basically, Thomas isn't for sale. Unless of course you are offering something stupid in value. Then of course we are listening.

Of course Mack will say that. It's good PR.

I wouldnt deal Thomas for just Denver's 2016 1st either. A few more years of Thomas is worth more than a late 1st.

So basically, Thomas isn't for sale. Unless of course you are offering something stupid in value. Then of course we are listening.
Is a team really being stupid if there are a very good team and they give a 2016 and 2017 1st (both projected late 1sts) for Joe Thomas, especially if LT is a weakness for them?

That escalated quickly.

We want two-first round picks for Joe Thomas according to Schefty.

---

.Adam Schefter@AdamSchefter 2h2 hours ago

To be specific, Browns were asking two 1st-round picks for OT Joe Thomas. They won't get that.

.Adam Schefter@AdamSchefter 15h15 hours ago

On night before trade deadline, Browns C Alex Mack said he will not waive no-trade clause in his contract if... http://fb.me/4mui4Z8j0

That escalated quickly.

---

To be specific, Browns were asking two 1st-round picks for OT Joe Thomas. They won't get that.

On night before trade deadline, Browns C Alex Mack said he will not waive no-trade clause in his contract if... http://fb.me/4mui4Z8j0
gllllllllll with that

That escalated quickly.

---

gllllllllll with that
We certainly wouldnt get two 1sts from Denver. Their 2017 1st has one heck of a good chance at being very high

That escalated quickly.

---

gllllllllll with that
I understand your POV but Joe Thomas is the best OLT in the game, 8 straight Pro Bowls, 5x first-team All Pro, and a sure fire HOF first ballot candidate when he hangs them up, still in his prime.

You don't get that value for a late first round pick.

That escalated quickly.

---

gllllllllll with that
I understand your POV but Joe Thomas is the best OLT in the game, 8 straight Pro Bowls, 5x first-team All Pro, and a sure fire HOF first ballot candidate when he hangs them up, still in his prime.

Agree on his talent level. Just would be very surprised if Elway did something like that.

Is a team really being stupid if there are a very good team and they give a 2016 and 2017 1st (both projected late 1sts) for Joe Thomas, especially if LT is a weakness for them?
I think so, yeah. He's over 30 and won't be dominant for much longer. I guess it's up to the teams to decide, though. If you think you can win a Super Bowl by adding him that is worth a lot.

That escalated quickly.

---

gllllllllll with that

Agree on his talent level. Just would be very surprised if Elway did something like that.
I honestly don't know because Elway knows his window closes with Peyton this year and if he doesn't have a LT it closes today at the deadline. The cost isn't as high as it seems. Basically two high 2nd round picks in exchange for any shot at a SB this year.

Honestly don't know if John closes the door on the season by turning down the chance to land JT and it could even open the door for one more run next year.

I think so, yeah. He's over 30 and won't be dominant for much longer.I guess it's up to the teams to decide, though. If you think you can win a Super Bowl by adding him that is worth a lot.
I dont know if any teams fit this description, but if you are a really good team with a good record right now with LT as a weakness, then adding a great LT would tunr a very good team into a great team over night.

Bracie, there is no way you can honestly view the Broncos 2017 1st as "basically a high 2nd".
Or their 16' 1st... They are 1st round picks.
I've done a lot of research on the draft and their is a cut off at certain points in the draft.

First round draft picks are NOT the same at all. Their are a couple of tiers in the first round and Denver's 1st in 2016 is basically nothing compared to Joe Thomas in my eyes. Also their defense has carried the team this year with Peyton playing poorly. That D is legit so I see their 2017 as another late 1st round pick which is in the tier of a high 2nd late 1st round. I see it as equal because I know the history of how those picks pan out.

A proven talent at a premium position who is under contract and still in his prime who has never missed a game for two late 1st round picks is getting two cracks at a tier of talent that extends from the late 1st to the early 2nd and that isn't much at all comparably. Least that is how I see it.

Bracie, there is no way you can honestly view the Broncos 2017 1st as "basically a high 2nd".
Or their 16' 1st... They are 1st round picks.
I definitely view their 2016 1st as "basically a high 2nd". It's a guaranteed late 1st. Hence the word "basically". Many times the player you would draft at 28 would be there at 33, so yeah, basically.

It's like saying 996 dollars is basically a grand

I agree, there are always cut offs in any draft. Those cut offs are dependent on the talent pools and depth. Every pick later in the draft reduces the potential of reaching those cuts offs of talent.

Some years, a high 2nd may end up being about the same as a low 1st based on the talent available and your board. That's why teams generally trade down. For all the teams that trade down though, there are teams that trade up. So, the value is subjective, as are the cut offs.

Simply put, your just always better off having the higher picks regardless of cut offs because your cut off isn't the same as someone else's and you can move it for greater value.

Users who are viewing this thread