What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Cleveland Browns (15 Viewers)

Well they let their Right Tackle walk this offseason. I edited my post to clarify a bit more.
So, you bring in one of the highest rated tackles in forever... Plug him into the RT spot for a year or two, and then he naturally replaces a HoF LT when he retires.

This is a bad move, how? 

RG3, or whoever else is back there is gonna need a line. Big time.

So, you bring in one of the highest rated tackles in forever... Plug him into the RT spot for a year or two, and then he naturally replaces a HoF LT when he retires.

This is a bad move, how? 

RG3, or whoever else is back there is gonna need a line. Big time.
If this is your plan then re-sign Schwartz and draft someone else.

That'd make as much sense as drafting Erving last year.  Drafting younger replacements to current veteran starter's while continuing to ignore the other holes will just ensure we continue to suck.  Next year are we going to draft Tre'Davious White then trade Joe Haden?
They lost their starting RT and have a massive hole there.  Joe Thomas also has trade value.  This pick would hardly be a waste.  I think Ramsey would be a better pick, but could get behind Tunsil very easily.  Good spot for the Browns to be in at this point.

They lost their starting RT and have a massive hole there.  Joe Thomas also has trade value.  This pick would hardly be a waste.  I think Ramsey would be a better pick, but could get behind Tunsil very easily.  Good spot for the Browns to be in at this point.
It's different than Schwartz vs. Tunsil for a couple different reasons, but if Ramsey is the target then re-sign Gibson and draft someone else.

Did Schwartz want to be here?
I don't disagree with this, similar story with Gibson, Benjamin, and Mack actually.  I also don't get why targeting those same positions at the top of the draft is the answer.  Good players at those same positions are now playing elsewhere.  The product with those players?  The worst team in the league.  A new philosophy of team building is needed.  Selecting players that will help score more points would be a good place to start.  

If we stay at 2 and don't pick a QB then these guys have no idea what they're doing.  If our second pick is not a play maker on the outside then these guys have no idea what they're doing.  Surround those guys with role players the rest of the way and plan to add another offensive play maker in the top 50 next year, ideally paired with a defensive play maker because the offense is no longer an embarrassment.  If the offense still blows?  Consider adding two.

You guys can be real #######s sometimes. I spent 43 years in OH, I know where Cedar Point is and it's proximity to Cleveland and I think it's in poor taste to promote a roller coaster that emblazons the Baltimore Ravens mascot in your backyard but whatever. It's not being a dooooosh, it's being pissed off that somebody close enough to a city that had its ####### football team ripped from it has so little regard for something that is such a blemish on the one of the major cities that support it. If it was at Kings Island I get it but the park is a helluva lot closer to Cleveland than any other major city.
Bill Barnwell on the trade and how it affects the Browns and the rest of the top picking teams http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/15203937/titans-rams-trade-means-nfl-draft

I think its suddenly a no-brainer that the Browns should take Goff now.  I think he has bust potential but they absolutely need a QB.  Its overthinking it to NOT draft Goff.  Goff doesn't have the massive cannon for an arm that Wentz has but it is not a weak arm either.   Goff is very smart and reads the field very very VERY well.  Much better than Wentz.  Goff is actually a VERY accurate Quarterback too.  His deep ball is very accurate (its just not a MASSIVE cannon), and that accuracy will prevent teams from stacking the box.  

The bottom line is Goff will read defenses and find the open man, and also hit the deep ball to open up the passing game and running game.  It would be VERY "Browns" like to pass on him for a right tackle or trade down considering their needs.  

Wentz is a stud but you don't take Goff, why even have a team?

I think its suddenly a no-brainer that the Browns should take Goff now.  I think he has bust potential but they absolutely need a QB.  Its overthinking it to NOT draft Goff.  Goff doesn't have the massive cannon for an arm that Wentz has but it is not a weak arm either.   Goff is very smart and reads the field very very VERY well.  Much better than Wentz.  Goff is actually a VERY accurate Quarterback too.  His deep ball is very accurate (its just not a MASSIVE cannon), and that accuracy will prevent teams from stacking the box.  

The bottom line is Goff will read defenses and find the open man, and also hit the deep ball to open up the passing game and running game.  It would be VERY "Browns" like to pass on him for a right tackle or trade down considering their needs.  

This, don't over think the pick. If Wentz is gone, take Goff. If Goff is gone, take Wentz.

If some idiot wants to move up and offer something similar to what the Tennessee got, do that. Those are the options to me.

Sadly the draft is still 2 weeks out so it will be dissected to death by then unless the Rams tip their hand early.

I don't disagree with this, similar story with Gibson, Benjamin, and Mack actually.  I also don't get why targeting those same positions at the top of the draft is the answer.  Good players at those same positions are now playing elsewhere.  The product with those players?  The worst team in the league.  A new philosophy of team building is needed.  Selecting players that will help score more points would be a good place to start.  

If we stay at 2 and don't pick a QB then these guys have no idea what they're doing.  If our second pick is not a play maker on the outside then these guys have no idea what they're doing.  Surround those guys with role players the rest of the way and plan to add another offensive play maker in the top 50 next year, ideally paired with a defensive play maker because the offense is no longer an embarrassment.  If the offense still blows?  Consider adding two.
WooHoo!!!  It's officially NFL draft season.  Mac has posted his annual "this is what needs to happen & anyone who disagrees is an idiot" statement! 

They are positioning themselves to #### up yet another draft. If the pass on QB, Hue will be gone at the end of 2017.

They are positioning themselves to #### up yet another draft. If the pass on QB, Hue will be gone at the end of 2017.

If they don't select Goff, then it tells me they will give RG3 one year to prove himself, and if it ends in disaster, they will have the #1 overall pick and pick Deshaun Watson in 2017, who grades out as better than anyone in this draft at QB.  Unless the 49ers are even worse and get the #1 overall in 2017.

The Deshaun Watson race is probably between the Browns, 49ers, and Dolphins.  All 3 teams are bad and downgrading their rosters.  All 3 need a QB which Watson most certainly is.  But it seems a better bet to just take Goff while he is right in front of you.

Johnny suckball strikes again.

If he doesn't luck his way into a win over the Titans, we get this deal.  Bittersweet day.  My son was born, and we beat the Titans

Last edited by a moderator:
If you really think about it. It makes a ton of sense. RG3 is only 26 years old. If Hue feels he can set him straight and make him productive

again there is no reason to get another QB. Does it make sense to trade RG3 away in a couple of years if he's producing to start again

with another QB only a few years younger? 

If you really think about it. It makes a ton of sense. RG3 is only 26 years old. If Hue feels he can set him straight and make him productive

again there is no reason to get another QB. Does it make sense if to trade RG3 away in a couple of years if he's producing to start again

with another QB only a few years younger? 
RG3 should have no impact on what we do with pick 2, so no, that makes zero sense. 

Don't get me wrong, I don't want Wentz or Geoff, but if signing RG3 alters their draft plans with the #2 pick they should all be fired.  Not just fired, strung up for a firing squad.

RG3 should have no impact on what we do with pick 2, so no, that makes zero sense. 

Don't get me wrong, I don't want Wentz or Geoff, but if signing RG3 alters their draft plans with the #2 pick they should all be fired.  Not just fired, strung up for a firing squad.
Sure it does. If they didn't sign RG3. They would definitely stay at #2 and pick a QB regardless. RG3 gives them the option of maybe looking at BPA

Sure it does. If they didn't sign RG3. They would definitely stay at #2 and pick a QB regardless. RG3 gives them the option of maybe looking at BPA
Ouch. No. Again, if this FO thinks the way you do, assassinate them.

You don't sign a guy who has sucked for 3 years who NOBODY wanted and then change your draft strategy with the ### #### #2 overall pick.  #### stupid.

Here's something you should consider. Maybe they saw in RG3 the same characteristics they saw in the top QB's this year.

You seem to be dealing with Absolutes. I deal in Options
I absolutely think (and so do 99.999999999% of people who know anything about football) that the entire front office should be fired if they had originally planned to draft one of these QBs, but the signing of RG3 changed all that. 

I am not considering what you said as an option  because it would be a horrific football decision.  Again, that is IF they even wanted one of these QBs in the first place.  I do  not, so I was happy to have signed RG3.  To me, I think that means they were not planning to take a QB at 2 in the first place.

Well I guess it's good to know you speak for the anybody who knows football. The way I see things unfolding is Hue is going to play by his own rules.

He's already had head coaching experience with the Raiders and he's going into this job knowing what has to be done and thats not joining the old boys

network. But since your part of the 99.999 per cent who knows everything I'm sure you already figured that out. 

Well I guess it's good to know you speak for the anybody who knows football. The way I see things unfolding is Hue is going to play by his own rules.

He's already had head coaching experience with the Raiders and he's going into this job knowing what has to be done and thats not joining the old boys

network. But since your part of the 99.999 per cent who knows everything I'm sure you already figured that out. 
I speak for the 31 other teams who didn't even want him. 

We wanted him, but the chances he changes our draft plans at 2 are basically zero.

If you are right, and if it did, they all need to be fired.  Simple.

Dude, RG3 is a "flyer".  Ya know, like on your fantasy team when you pick up some guy who is really fast but has proven to not be very good at football in hopes that MAYBE he does something?

Ouch. No. Again, if this FO thinks the way you do, assassinate them.

You don't sign a guy who has sucked for 3 years who NOBODY wanted and then change your draft strategy with the ### #### #2 overall pick.  #### stupid.
As a rookie in 2012, RG3 was 258/393 (65.6%) with 3,200 yards, 20 TDs, 5 Ints and rushed for 815 yards on 120 carries (6.8 YPC). I'm not sure it's accurate to say he has sucked for 3 years. 

As a rookie in 2012, RG3 was 258/393 (65.6%) with 3,200 yards, 20 TDs, 5 Ints and rushed for 815 yards on 120 carries (6.8 YPC). I'm not sure it's accurate to say he has sucked for 3 years. 
Nor did he play last year.

1 great year. 1 pretty meh year. 1 #### year. 1 non existent. 

Map those 4 years on a timeline.  What's the trend?  I'm speaking as a Redskins fan here.
Technically... upwards

If we scale from +5 to -5 on a scale, his rookie campaign was a 4, down to a -1, to a -4 and this year to zero... since.. you know... ZERO :)  hahah

Ok then I guess I stand corrected.  He has either been sucking or been hurt the last 3 years.  Both are bad. 

If, BIG if, he even stays  healthy I think he very very likely still sucks.  Then, ya know, he tends get hurt a bunch.  So that doesnt  help.

Back to pick 2, yeah, pretty sure THAT is not something that influences pick 2. 

Look, I dislike ghostguy as much as the next...guy...but he's right on here. Signing Griffin does nothing to change the thinking on the #2 pick.

• Smile
Reactions: rct
Not sure I agree.  Overlooked in this question is the fact that McCown played well last year.  ( His QB rating put him about #13 for NFL starters.)  His biggest drawback is that he isn't young anymore.  It's likely that RG3 mitigates that factor.  If you believe that drafting their "QB of the future" isn't part of their thinking, then you can say RG3 makes no difference.  I suspect he makes some.   :2cents:

Riversco said:
If they don't select Goff, then it tells me they will give RG3 one year to prove himself, and if it ends in disaster, they will have the #1 overall pick
I think this is the unknown with the FO - none of us know how they have RG3 ranked against the QBs coming out this year.  Not to mention how they rank QBs next year compared to this year.  I don't think there's any question that Cleveland will be in position for a top 5 pick again next year - if not the first pick.  I don't see RG3 as the savior, but 99.99999% of us don't know how the FO has these QBs ranked, or what their plan even is right now.  They are sitting in a good spot to ride the RG3 train into the ground this year and take the inevitable top draft choice next year.  They can draft Goff and have him sit/grow.  They could trade out, gaining more draft picks/players and address other holes this year leaving the QB hole to address next year.  Who knows if RG3 will show up this year?  None of us do.  His poor performance could be indicative to the coaching he's had over the years or to injuries or to his poor attitude.  

Frankly, I'm honest to admit that I have no idea what they are going to do in the draft.  They have options and it will be fun to watch.  But I threw away my orange colored glasses awhile ago.  No matter what they do, they will still be terrible this year and we'll be having this same conversation next year.  

I think this is the unknown with the FO - none of us know how they have RG3 ranked against the QBs coming out this year.  Not to mention how they rank QBs next year compared to this year.  I don't think there's any question that Cleveland will be in position for a top 5 pick again next year - if not the first pick.  I don't see RG3 as the savior, but 99.99999% of us don't know how the FO has these QBs ranked, or what their plan even is right now.  They are sitting in a good spot to ride the RG3 train into the ground this year and take the inevitable top draft choice next year.  They can draft Goff and have him sit/grow.  They could trade out, gaining more draft picks/players and address other holes this year leaving the QB hole to address next year.  Who knows if RG3 will show up this year?  None of us do.  His poor performance could be indicative to the coaching he's had over the years or to injuries or to his poor attitude.  

Frankly, I'm honest to admit that I have no idea what they are going to do in the draft.  They have options and it will be fun to watch.  But I threw away my orange colored glasses awhile ago.  No matter what they do, they will still be terrible this year and we'll be having this same conversation next year.  
That's true.  Even if they draft a QB AND he turns out (eventually) to be HOF material, he still won't be all that in his rookie year.  I don't see ANY qb stepping into the pro game and producing good numbers his first year.  Maybe, if he's exceptional, he'll play at a mediocre veteran level in year two.  THEN, in year three, we get to see how good a pick they made.

daveR said:
Not sure I agree.  Overlooked in this question is the fact that McCown played well last year.  ( His QB rating put him about #13 for NFL starters.)  His biggest drawback is that he isn't young anymore.  It's likely that RG3 mitigates that factor.  If you believe that drafting their "QB of the future" isn't part of their thinking, then you can say RG3 makes no difference.  I suspect he makes some.   :2cents:
If their thinking is "we dont want either of these QBs at pick 2" then signing RG3 makes sense.  And I hope the keep Mccown rather than trade him for some 5th round pick.

Now, if their thinking is "we signed RG3 even though we plan to take a QB at pick 2" I would hate that.  I dont think RG3 is a good person to have around if we are bringing in a top pick.

Am I the only one really hoping that if we do take a QB, that it won't be Wentz?

Initially I think I preferred him to Goff (really I do not want either), but after more thought I prefer not to take a soon to be 24 year old rookie QB who has played half as many games as other QB prospects, and did it at a pretty inferior level of competition. 

He has a nice skill set.  I understand.  But the age and competition factor, in my opinion, are red flags for increased bust potential.

I guess my personal hopes rank sorta like this assuming a QB goes 1st, and it is likely Wentz:

1- Trade down with ideally philly or anything close to that pick assuming compensation is an extra 1st and 2nd somewhere.

2- Draft one of tunsil or Ramsey

3- Draft one of Bosa (OSU fan, but for whatever reason I think he is a little overrated for the NFL) or Jack

4- Goff then Wentz, and hope and pray

Early projections have us possibly losing every game this year, or winning as many as 3 games.  That said we already know that it will take multiple drafts to TRY to rebuild this team. Our QB options should include: Goff, Wentz, Lynch, Watson, Kayaa. Add this years borderline 1st in Cook if you're a believer.  Then you have DE Myles Garrett who most likely will be the #1 overall pick in 2017 barring injury (#2 college prospect in the nation behind Fournette). Barnett is the #2 DE prospect and will be a top 10 pick also. So in the next 2 years we have 2 blue chip opportunities to address our biggest needs: QB & DE/LB(Pass rusher). Its a would you rather.. 

1. Wentz/ Goff -2016,  Garrett/ Barnett -2017

2. Buckner /Bosa /Jack -2016, Watson/ Kayaa -2017 

We obviously have other needs but Im hard pressed to prioritize anything above these 2.  Personally as much as I love the idea of Myles Garrett here, after seeing what Watson did to Bama and their defense stacked with NFL talent, I think Id rather go with option 2.   Buckner/Watson

Users who are viewing this thread