Jump to content
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

**** CLEVELAND BROWNS THREAD ****


Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, Dr. Octopus said:

https://twitter.com/terrypluto/status/950345388468432896

Seems like the Browns were willing to offer the 1.04 (Houston pick) for Garopolo and the Pats had no interest in moving him there.

Well that changes things a lot.  So the question (that we'll probably never really get answered) is did he do it to spite Kraft?  Or was he really being a humanitarian and doing it for JG's benefit?  I'm gonna lean toward the former, BB's never been one to worry about what's best for the (former) player vs. the team.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 24.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • MAC_32

    2612

  • ghostguy123

    2329

  • amnesiac

    1931

  • Bracie Smathers

    1921

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Of course he was concussed...I'm sure Haley kept reminding him on the sideline he was concussed.  Haley wasn't going to let him back in that game, Hue be damned.   Taylor: Coach, I can play.  I ju

This isn't going to be a "only positive comments allowed" type thing. But don't do what you did. And you know what you did. If you've got something constructive to discuss about how the team

Ryan Engle‏ @rengle83 13h13 hours ago I read the survival handbook for these situations. If you’re attacked by a Jermaine Whitehead, just pretend like you’re a tight end running at a moderate pac

1 hour ago, Dr. Octopus said:

https://twitter.com/terrypluto/status/950345388468432896

Seems like the Browns were willing to offer the 1.04 (Houston pick) for Garopolo and the Pats had no interest in moving him there.

Not quite accurate.

The Patriots traded Jimmy-G on October 31st and their record was 4-7.

At that time the pick Clevaland owned by Houston was not the #4 pick.

It was in the 9 to 12 range.

Being even more accurate the Pats weren't even taking calls from the Browns the last week before the deal took place so Houston's record the week before Halloween at that time was 4-6 when the Browns would have even had an opportunity to make an offer.

 They lost to Baltimore the week of the deal to lower their record to 4-7.  Five continuous losses pushed the final record to the 4th pick but at the time the Browns made their last offer the Houston pick was around the 12 to 15 selection not the 4th pick.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Bracie Smathers said:

Not quite accurate.

The Patriots traded Jimmy-G on October 31st and their record was 4-7.

At that time the pick Clevaland owned by Houston was not the #4 pick.

It was in the 9 to 12 range.

Being even more accurate the Pats weren't even taking calls from the Browns the last week before the deal took place so Houston's record the week before Halloween at that time was 4-6 when the Browns would have even had an opportunity to make an offer.

 They lost to Baltimore the week of the deal to lower their record to 4-7.  Five continuous losses pushed the final record to the 4th pick but at the time the Browns made their last offer the Houston pick was around the 12 to 15 selection not the 4th pick.

 

 

It’s just the pick that turned out to be the 1.04. That’s all I meant.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Dr. Octopus said:

It’s just the pick that turned out to be the 1.04. That’s all I meant.

No one knows why Belichick 'seemed' to take a lower offer.  Patriot beat writer Mike Reiss put forth a number of reasons and one the reasons is Bill wanted to move Jimmy to the NFC so that he would not have to face him which makes sense.   So I think it was a number of things added together.

I've heard lots of things including a local Cleveland radio report stating that Belichick felt like he got the short end of the negotiations with the Browns FO during the Jamie Collins trade and did not want to deal with them again.  

I don't think anyone knows what happened but I doubt Bill Belichick would turn down the Houston pick if he felt it would climb to #4.

I'm sure their is more behind the scenes that we may never hear to get the full picture.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Soulfly3 said:

The #Browns are interviewing former #Bengals OC Ken Zampese today for their vacant OC job

:X

1 hour ago, Soulfly3 said:

They'll interview #Texans QB coach Sean Ryan on Wednesday.

:clap:

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Soulfly3 said:

@RapSheet 

The #Browns are interviewing former #Bengals OC Ken Zampese today for their vacant OC job under Hue Jackson, source said. They'll interview #Texans QB coach Sean Ryan on Wednesday.

Hue: so, I'll be calling the plays and making the game plans. Wanna be our OC?

Sean Ryan: :mellow:

Hue: sign right here, Kenny.

Browns fans: is it 2019 yet?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, MAC_32 said:

Hue: so, I'll be calling the plays and making the game plans. Wanna be our OC?

Sean Ryan: :mellow:

Hue: sign right here, Kenny.

Browns fans: is it 2019 yet?

I guess there's no way for Hue to do anything right, in your eyes, huh?

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Bracie Smathers said:

No one knows why Belichick 'seemed' to take a lower offer.  Patriot beat writer Mike Reiss put forth a number of reasons and one the reasons is Bill wanted to move Jimmy to the NFC so that he would not have to face him which makes sense.   So I think it was a number of things added together.

I've heard lots of things including a local Cleveland radio report stating that Belichick felt like he got the short end of the negotiations with the Browns FO during the Jamie Collins trade and did not want to deal with them again.  

I don't think anyone knows what happened but I doubt Bill Belichick would turn down the Houston pick if he felt it would climb to #4.

I'm sure their is more behind the scenes that we may never hear to get the full picture.

We had a offsite work trip Friday. During the trip, someone said there was an article out that said the reason the Pats traded him was because Brady went in to Kraft and said make it happen. Did anyone see this kind of story anywhere? I admittedly didn't look for it, mostly because I don't care why the Browns didn't get him. They didn't get him, and that's all that matters to me. But I wonder if there is any truth to the story.

Link to post
Share on other sites

@NathanZegura Just now on @Browns_Daily @john_keim just said that Cleveland is the “last place” he would envision Kirk Cousins playing in 2018 and said he would be “absolutely shocked” if Cousins signed here

Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, MAC_32 said:

@NathanZegura Just now on @Browns_Daily @john_keim just said that Cleveland is the “last place” he would envision Kirk Cousins playing in 2018 and said he would be “absolutely shocked” if Cousins signed here

5 years 150 million bucks says he would be wrong.............................but yeah, I dont see him here either.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/4/2018 at 11:52 PM, Hankmoody said:

 I think Sashi fell asleep at the wheel by making an assumption he wasn't available and never making an offer.  

I think you are the one asleep at the wheel.  All sorts of reports coming out about the Pats turning down better offers from the Browns.  Maybe the reporters are asleep at the wheel??  Lot of people asleep at the wheel.  Watch out on the roads people. Be safe.

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, ghostguy123 said:

I think you are the one asleep at the wheel.  All sorts of reports coming out about the Pats turning down better offers from the Browns.  Maybe the reporters are asleep at the wheel??  Lot of people asleep at the wheel.  Watch out on the roads people. Be safe.

:rolleyes: Obviously I was going with what I knew at the time and new info means a new opinion.  Now it looks like BB that was asleep at the wheel (more likely going scorched earth) and selling the guy for less than what he could have gotten from Cleveland or someone else.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Hankmoody said:

:rolleyes: Obviously I was going with what I knew at the time and new info means a new opinion.  Now it looks like BB that was asleep at the wheel (more likely going scorched earth) and selling the guy for less than what he could have gotten from Cleveland or someone else.

Sometimes when things are so obvious to most everyone else, you should take a step back and not call people out so hastily and harshly.

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, DallasDMac said:

We had a offsite work trip Friday. During the trip, someone said there was an article out that said the reason the Pats traded him was because Brady went in to Kraft and said make it happen. Did anyone see this kind of story anywhere? I admittedly didn't look for it, mostly because I don't care why the Browns didn't get him. They didn't get him, and that's all that matters to me. But I wonder if there is any truth to the story.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/page/hotread180105/beginning-end-new-england-patriots-robert-kraft-tom-brady-bill-belichick-internal-power-struggle

There are several paragraphs in the very long article devoted to the NE power trio and Jimmy G.

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, DallasDMac said:

 ... Did anyone see this kind of story anywhere? 

Link to a lengthy thread discussion of the article:

https://forums.footballguys.com/forum/topic/764329-espn-article-on-brady-kraft-sabotaging-the-future-for-bradys-ego/

ESPN Article on Brady & Kraft Sabotaging the Future for Brady's Ego

Started by Dinsy Ejotuz, Friday at 08:34 AM

=========================================================================================

Terrelle Pryor wants back?

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2018/01/how_the_browns_can_fix_their_q.html

Quote

 

... the Browns need to bolster their receiving corps. Terrelle Pryor, who had 77 catches for the Browns for 1,007 yards in 2016, will be a free agent in the offseason and has already hinted on Instagram that he wants to come back.

Pryor didn’t have a good season in Washington (20 catches, 240 yards, 1 TD in nine games) but hurt his ankle early on. It also just wasn’t a good fit. Jackson likes him and he’d pair nicely with Josh Gordon and Corey Coleman.

The Browns should also pursue a premier free agent receiver such as Jarvis Landry, 25, of the Dolphins. Landry led the NFL with 112 catches for 987 yards and was tied for fourth with nine TD catches. Landry, a second-round pick in 2014 out of LSU, has averaged 1,000 in his four seasons, but might need a change of scenery. He was ejected from the finale for instigating a brawl, and coach Adam Gase said his behavior "was about as embarrassing as I’ve seen in a long time."

 

We need an upgrade and insurance for JG.  TP and Landry would definitely fill the bill.  Not sure that happens but it is a good idea to kick around.

Edited by Bracie Smathers
Link to post
Share on other sites

Your just not going to get a top shelf WR free agent interested in this team. What do you have to sell them? QB...nope. Winning history/playoff potential...nope. Stable organization? Nope. 

Yes you can throw $$$ at them, but they will be selling future $$$ down the river when they don't produce. 

You need to get the QB issue resolved and get some wins before an elite WR comes to CLE. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, hoffman0001 said:

Your just not going to get a top shelf WR free agent interested in this team. What do you have to sell them? QB...nope. Winning history/playoff potential...nope. Stable organization? Nope. 

Yes you can throw $$$ at them, but they will be selling future $$$ down the river when they don't produce. 

You need to get the QB issue resolved and get some wins before an elite WR comes to CLE. 

While I tend to agree about Cleveland not being an attractive destination for a WR, they probably shouldn't be throwing a ton of money at a free agent WR anyway. If they draft a rookie QB and add Barkley at pick 1.04 (or even if they take Chubb or Michel in Round 2), Gordon, Coleman (assuming they keep him), Higgins and a cheaper veteran liker Decker or Amendola would be fine for 2018 in what is still a rebuilding type year.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/2/2018 at 11:30 AM, hoffman0001 said:

Apparently only Browns fans are ALLOWED to post here. I did not get that memo. I'm here to talk about the team. Sorry my reality is impacting your fantasy...some one give me the "one QB away" response...I've only seen it 1,000 times on this thread. I wonder how many years you guys have said that while filling the coffers of your horrible owner. 

Want to help your team? Put the gear in the closet for 3-4 years, and commit to not spending one CENT on this horrible dumpster fire of a franchise. That's how you'll help. When the NFL see's ZERO fan support and a franchise that is costing them $$$ they will force a change in ownership. Not only has he done nothing for your team, your owner has some very questionable business practices where i ripped of poor customers. https://deadspin.com/browns-owner-avoids-federal-prosecution-with-massive-se-1604799901

What an owner and franchise that deserves your loyalty...:rolleyes:

This isn't going to be a "only positive comments allowed" type thing.

But don't do what you did. And you know what you did.

If you've got something constructive to discuss about how the team can improve or what you think they should do, please do it here. If it's just rubbing the fans noses in it that actually Do care, don't post here or anywhere else on our boards. 

  • Like 9
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, hoffman0001 said:

Your just not going to get a top shelf WR free agent interested in this team. What do you have to sell them? QB...nope. Winning history/playoff potential...nope. Stable organization? Nope. 

Yes you can throw $$$ at them, but they will be selling future $$$ down the river when they don't produce. 

You need to get the QB issue resolved and get some wins before an elite WR comes to CLE. 

What I have is the opportunity to step into a starting job & make a difference.  Wins come from hard work, money comes from your contract.  If you want guaranteed wins, you're welcome to go somewhere else and hope they show up under your Christmas tree.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Soulfly3 said:

ELIOT WOLF SIGNED AS ASSISTANT GM TODAY!!!!

BOOOOOOOM!!!!!

picked us over the Pack and the Raiders. HUGE

WE GOT THE GUY WHO WAS ASSISTANT GM OF A TEAM THAT WITHOUT AARON RODGERS LOOKED LIKE THE BROWNS!

TAKE THAT BEACHES!!!

:clyde:

Edited by Andy Dufresne
  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Andy Dufresne said:

WE GOT THE GUY WHO WAS ASSISTANT GM OF A TEAM THAT WITHOUT AARON RODGERS LOOKED LIKE THE BROWNS!

TAKE THAT BEACHES!!!

:clyde:

:lmao:

I do like this move.  There is now a trio of like-minded individuals who have history working with one another towards a shared vision running the FO.  That is a great start at building a solid foundation.  This is probably the strongest FO the Browns have had since 1999.  Now if only they can show Hue the door, the stage is set nicely to support a young, upcoming HC to lead the winless Browns into the future.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Peak said:

:lmao:

I do like this move.  There is now a trio of like-minded individuals who have history working with one another towards a shared vision running the FO.  That is a great start at building a solid foundation.  This is probably the strongest FO the Browns have had since 1999.  Now if only they can show Hue the door, the stage is set nicely to support a young, upcoming HC to lead the winless Browns into the future.

I think the bed's been made for 2018.  Just hope that whatever happens between now and Hue getting canned Dec 31 doesn't negatively impact 2019.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, MAC_32 said:

I think the bed's been made for 2018.  Just hope that whatever happens between now and Hue getting canned Dec 31 doesn't negatively impact 2019.

Most likely you're right.  But if they go winless the first 4 games in the season, could that be a tipping point?  If they bring in Ryan as the OC, it could be a good situation to groom the young guy as an HC.  Just sayin'....

Link to post
Share on other sites

Wolf is a nice name and a good sign he chose CLE, but really what kind of impact will this have?  Dorsey's the guy there and he's not going to cede any real power in his first year.  This seems like a grooming opportunity for Wolf more than anything else.  Maybe he brings in some contract/cap management focus (which was a very weak point for Dorsey)?

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Hankmoody said:

Wolf is a nice name and a good sign he chose CLE, but really what kind of impact will this have?  Dorsey's the guy there and he's not going to cede any real power in his first year.  This seems like a grooming opportunity for Wolf more than anything else.  Maybe he brings in some contract/cap management focus (which was a very weak point for Dorsey)?

I'd much rather have a young, energetic, etc person to "groom" as a #2/#3 then a buddy buddy has-been hire to smoke a cigar with the GM every evening.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Wonder how Berry is fitting in with all these new faces. 

I think it's safe to say the new guys will give DePo some things to analyze, but he's just playing out his contract a little more so it's less for Jimmy to swallow.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

Still does not fix the OWNER problem here, and the poor track record. That's not TROLLING that opinion. 

They need to build with the draft, and some mid-level/2nd tier free agent signings. I don't see high quality free agents coming to town until they show some improvement. 

Edited by hoffman0001
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, hoffman0001 said:

Still does not fix the OWNER problem here, and the poor track record. That's not TROLLING that opinion. 

They need to build with the draft, and some mid-level/2nd tier free agent signings. I don't see high quality free agents coming to town until they show some improvement. 

Do you have any suggestions on how we can fix the owner situation?  

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Hankmoody said:

Wolf is a nice name and a good sign he chose CLE, but really what kind of impact will this have?  Dorsey's the guy there and he's not going to cede any real power in his first year.  This seems like a grooming opportunity for Wolf more than anything else.  Maybe he brings in some contract/cap management focus (which was a very weak point for Dorsey)?

:goodposting:

Ian Rapoport‏Verified account @RapSheet 3h3 hours ago

The #Browns are hiring #Packers executive Eliot Wolf, source said. Big hire for GM John Dorsey.

===========================================

Ian Rapoport‏Verified account @RapSheet 2h2 hours ago

#Browns are hoping for stability on the personnel. GM John Dorsey has a 4-year deal. Assistant GM Eliot Wolf has a 4-year deal. Things should be much calmer this time around.

Edited by Bracie Smathers
Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, hoffman0001 said:

Still does not fix the OWNER problem here, and the poor track record. That's not TROLLING that opinion. 

They need to build with the draft, and some mid-level/2nd tier free agent signings. I don't see high quality free agents coming to town until they show some improvement. 

Unfortunately, only the owner can fix the owner problem.  So while we get the point you've been trying to make all along, we don't dwell on it because we've pretty much lived it our entire lives.  Plenty of sports franchises have won despite ownership.  You have some theories on how to force ownership out (like stop going to games, etc), but in the end we're a very very small segment of Browns fans on a message board that just want to talk about ways to improve the team, players, games, coaches, front office, things we have actual insight into, etc.  I hope you can appreciate that going forward.

Edited by Bobcat10
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Bobcat10 said:

Unfortunately, only the owner can fix the owner problem.  So while we get the point you've been trying to make all along, we don't dwell on it because we've pretty much lived it our entire lives.  Plenty of sports franchises have won despite ownership.  You have some theories on how to force ownership out (like stop going to games, etc), but in the end we're a very very small segment of Browns fans on a message board that just want to talk about ways to improve the team, players, games, coaches, front office, things we have actual insight into, etc.  I hope you can appreciate that going forward.

My point is, the players see the situation as much as you do. I have heard browns fan say "we have the most cap space, yada, yada" ,...top tier players with options will not come to CLE. They know it's a good chance they will not succeed and kill their career. Hopefully the draft is the answer and the team shows the smarts not to keep passing on top QB talent. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Bobcat10 said:

I'd much rather have a young, energetic, etc person to "groom" as a #2/#3 then a buddy buddy has-been hire to smoke a cigar with the GM every evening.

No question, but who are you grooming him for?  I guess that's my point, I don't see this as a replacement for Dorsey simply due to the timing.   Wolf was already getting interviews so unless Dorsey is one-and-done I don't see how this becomes a big benefit for Cleveland.

Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Hankmoody said:

No question, but who are you grooming him for?  I guess that's my point, I don't see this as a replacement for Dorsey simply due to the timing.   Wolf was already getting interviews so unless Dorsey is one-and-done I don't see how this becomes a big benefit for Cleveland.

I don't know, maybe short term benefit and he moves on, maybe here long term, maybe not, who knows.  If Wolf is going to leave after 1 season, I'm willing to bet he brought something of value to the table during the year that possibly carries on, and with Berry/Highsmith in the fold maybe his spot wouldn't even need backfill.  

Still the biggest question in all of this is the HC and how he fits in with this new group....and like Mac is alluding to it seems like it's inevitable that Hue is gone during or after next season.  If he ruins a QB, it will be catastrophic once again.  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, hoffman0001 said:

My point is, the players see the situation as much as you do. I have heard browns fan say "we have the most cap space, yada, yada" ,...top tier players with options will not come to CLE. They know it's a good chance they will not succeed and kill their career. Hopefully the draft is the answer and the team shows the smarts not to keep passing on top QB talent. 

You're right, they do see it.  They also see big moves being made on the management side and I've heard some agents did not like Sashi.

You also only look at the doom side in your arguments.  I can't fault you there, it's the normal way to process it since it's factual.  Some people like the safe route, can't blame them really.  The flip side is knowing you can come here as a coach or player to lift a historic franchise to unseen heights, possibly become legendary in their own right....it's those types of people that can make it happen regardless of the owner.  So yes maybe that's the risky path based on history, but the payoff is exponential even in comparison to some other franchises.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Bobcat10 said:

a historic franchise 

I guess going 0-16 is historic, so is 1-31...oh and making the playoffs once this century...yep....exactly what makes players with short careers want to play for you. The playoffs are such a pain with all the extra work, and who wants to win trophies....they are so much clutter. 

I know, how about getting a stud WR by overpaying him....maybe Kenny Britt??? oh wait....

Edited by hoffman0001
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, hoffman0001 said:

I guess going 0-16 is historic, so is 1-31...oh and making the playoffs once this century...yep....exactly what makes players with short careers want to play for you. The playoffs are such a pain with all the extra work, and who wants to win trophies....they are so much clutter. 

I know, how about getting a stud WR by overpaying him....maybe Kenny Britt??? oh wait....

Like a moth to a flame.  Managed to not be a total doosh for right around one post. Then quickly regressed to the norm. I can only guess his team doesn't have a thread since he spends all his time whining about the Browns in this one.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...