What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Cleveland Browns (12 Viewers)

not crazy about TE in the 4th, but I get Stefanski likes TEs.  better than burning a 1st- 3rd round pick just to make the HC happy. 

Finished up the @PFF draft grades. The 4 teams that earned A+ drafts:

Cowboys
Broncos
Browns
Cardinals
Its not hyperbole, we had a nice draft.  Its not just PFF giving us props for jibing well/best with how they graded players.  

We did well matching top-talent to scheme.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Matt Bowen@MattBowen41

Looking back through the #NFL draft classes. Five teams that stand out based on rookie scheme fits...

• Ravens
  • Browns
  • Cowboys
  • Colts
  • Bengals
10:27 PM · Apr 25, 202

------------------------------------

Poll taken of NFL scouts and execs who voted the most impressive drafts.

Baltimore crushed-it.

We tied for 6th best.

Cincinnati tied for 7th best. 

------------------------------------

Dan Hatman@Dan_Hatman

I've been polling #NFL scouts and executives the last hour Here were the questions "What team(s) have (other than your own) impressed you thru day 2?" and "Were there any teams you felt dropped the ball?" More repsonded on the positive side 25 responses thusfar

Dan Hatman@Dan_Hatman

'Impressive' drafts:

• BAL (15 votes)
  • JAX (8)
  • DAL (7)
  • CAR, KC, NYJ (5)
  • DEN, IND, MIN (4)
  • CLE, DET, NE (3)
  • ATL, CIN, LAR, NO, TB, TEN, WAS (2)
  • BUF, CHI, MIA, NYG, SEA, SF (1)
--------------------------------------------------------------------

Pittsburgh has to be included as having a solid draft.

Steelers 2020 NFL Draft Picks
1st Rd. - N/A (Traded to Dolphins for Minkah Fitzpatrick)
2nd Rd. - 17th, 49th overall: Chase Claypool, WR, Notre Dame
3rd Rd. - 38th, 102nd overall: Alex Highsmith, LB, Charlotte
4th Rd. - 18th, 124th overall: Anthony McFarland Jr., RB, Maryland
4th Rd. - 29th, 135th overall: Kevin Dotson, OL, Louisiana-Lafayette
5th Rd. - N/A (Traded two picks, Minkah Fitzpatrick trade, Nick Vannett trade)
6th Rd. - 19th, 198th overall: Antoine Brooks Jr., S, Maryland
7th Rd. - 18th, 232nd overall: Carlos Davis, DT, Nebraska

Ed Bouchette@EdBouchette

Provided hase Claypool fulfills Steelers’ expectations, he should be their top deep threat and best WR target in the red zone along with their 2 vet TEs. He’ll play outside, so JuJu Smith-Schuster can move back into his more comfortable spot in the slot

--------------------------------------------

Its a great point about JuJu moving-back to the slot where he was most effective so they've already reaped a windfall with Minka and Claypool is a great fit with personnel/scheme so all-four AFCN teams look to have had 'solid' drafts based on what we currently know.

https://www.cleveland.com/browns/2020/04/cleveland-browns-2020-undrafted-rookie-free-agent-tracker-live-updates.html

A few interesting guys in this years crop of UDFA's.

We shelled out some cash ($145k guaranteed) to get CB AJ Green out of Oklahoma State.  

Pete Prisco from CBS

Cleveland Browns: B-

Best Pick: Fifth-round center Nick Harris is undersized, but he will fit into their scheme perfectly. They need a center who can move and he can wait with J.C. Tretter in as the starter. 

Worst Pick: Which Grant Delpit are they getting? He was outstanding in 2018, but didn't play as well in 2019? He didn't tackle that well for LSU. He could be a boom-or-bust guy in the second round. 

The Skinny: They have a lot of questions in this draft, but if they work out it will be a good one. Can first-round pick Jedrick Wills move from right tackle to the left side? Will Delpit revert to his old ways of playing? There are several others. If the answers are yes, this will be a good draft 

I thought the Browns did a great job addressing their OL issues. They will protect their most valuable asset a lot better going forward. Baker should have a nice rebound year this year. 

Grade our new OL.  

Overall: A- / B+

Starters: Wills(R): A, Bitonio: B+, Tretter B+, Teller: C, Conklin: A.

Backups: Hubbard / Lamm: B,  Harris(R) / Forbes: B-.

Clearly, it's not without some questions, but if people stay healthy,  I anticipate excellence.  

One of the local sports talkers was asking who you would prefer, Vernon or Clowney.  Surprisingly, it looks like Vernon had a better 2019.

I ask, why not both?  Don't we have the cap space to add Clowney short term?

One of the local sports talkers was asking who you would prefer, Vernon or Clowney.  Surprisingly, it looks like Vernon had a better 2019.

I ask, why not both?  Don't we have the cap space to add Clowney short term?
Is Clowney willing to sign short term?

Grade our new OL.  

Overall: A- / B+

Starters: Wills(R): A, Bitonio: B+, Tretter B+, Teller: C, Conklin: A.

Backups: Hubbard / Lamm: B,  Harris(R) / Forbes: B-.

Clearly, it's not without some questions, but if people stay healthy,  I anticipate excellence.  
A rookie cannot be given an A. I don't think Conklin is better than Bitonio nor Tretter. But I think if Wills and Teller are a C+ or better then despite no one on this unit being an A the unit as a whole is.

A rookie cannot be given an A. I don't think Conklin is better than Bitonio nor Tretter. But I think if Wills and Teller are a C+ or better then despite no one on this unit being an A the unit as a whole is.
Sure.  I'm speculating on Wills.  He gave up just one sack in college, so I'm hoping.  

Conklin was first-team all-pro prior to ACL.  Last season, he ranked highly again and looked like he regained that form.  He is one of the best in the wide-zone scheme.  IMO, he's one of the best, and an "A".  I saw Bitonio get blown up a few times last season which surprised me, thus B+.  Tretter, FWIW, impresses me as just short of elite, hence his grade.  

At any rate, my off season grades are usually optimistic.

not sure this was ever a real "issue" but on the ThomaHawk podast today, Wills confirmed he's playing LT for the Browns. 

Skins are getting a 2nd for Trent, not a 3rd. 
I'm not trolling you but it hasn't been pointed out that the Browns traded down a few spots in the 2nd round and picked up a 5th round pick this year.  Then the Browns traded down in the 3rd round and picked up a 3rd round pick in next year's draft.

That is the exact same compensation that Washington got for trading OT Trent Williams. 

>>  Trent Williams traded to San Francisco 49ers for draft picks  

The Redskins agreed to trade left tackle Trent Williams to the San Francisco 49ers for a third and fifth-round pick.

The third-round pick will be in the 2021 Draft. 
I think Washington did well because they got more than what they would have gotten with a compensatory pick.

Considering that the youngest GM in the league Andrew Berry got the same for moving-down and still getting quality players I have to say that he did a very-good job.

Got around to checking out some draft coverage as it happened live.  BR loved our top pick so I was curious to see what they said about our 2nd round pick.

We got absolutely crushed for our 2nd round pick Delpit.  Go to the 1:11 mark of the video to hear what they said.

They point out lack of effort, is he good in coverage?  He missed 38 tackles over the past two years.  Shied away from contact, and what really got to them is passing on Antoine Winfield.  The pick got very-low grades.  They say we got an athlete and questioned his football ability.

Got around to checking out some draft coverage as it happened live.  BR loved our top pick so I was curious to see what they said about our 2nd round pick.

We got absolutely crushed for our 2nd round pick Delpit.  Go to the 1:11 mark of the video to hear what they said.

They point out lack of effort, is he good in coverage?  He missed 38 tackles over the past two years.  Shied away from contact, and what really got to them is passing on Antoine Winfield.  The pick got very-low grades.  They say we got an athlete and questioned his football ability.
They're not wrong with regards to who he has been. 

They're not wrong with regards to who he has been. 
Philosophy of drafting safe(r)-sure(r) prospects or swinging for the fence based on athletic traits.  

We got a 'more-sure' thing in the first round.  I think they are counting on better-effort/giddy-up once Delpit is fully recovered from his ankle injury last October.

LSU's Grant Delpit leaves game after painful-looking ankle inury

Its gamble but I get-it.

The guy I was questioning during the draft was not Delpit who had a top-ten grade before the start of last year so the guy isn't just an athlete, he can cover and make plays when healthy so I can buy-into the pick.

The pick I questioned was Jacob Phillips the LBer from LSU.  I felt we were guiding the LSU lily but check out what the Bleacher Boys said about that pick in the same video from the end of the 3rd round.  >>  Go to the 4:45 mark to hear what they say. 

>> 📽️ >> LIVE: Draft Show Rounds 2-3 with Adam Lefkoe, Matt Miller & Connor Rogers

They say he is a steal.   A young guy who was set to hit-his-stride and 'could' have turned into a 1st round pick next year.  Said he was on the path to be better than Patrick Queen and outplayed him at times last year.  Said he's still learning, is an athlete, can come in and challenge Mack Wilson and feel he's better than him.  Needs to improve instincts.  Got a B- and a solid B pick for the future.  I get the pick now.

Yeah, I get why Buckeye honks were perturbed with picking Phillips over Malik Harrison, but it's because they're Buckeye honks. I think they're very similar prospects. They excelled in their particular role and have the ability to expand on it, but weren't tasked with it in college because their team didn't need them to. Will they successfully transition to more responsibilities? I don't know, but there's justifiable reason to believe they will. And even if they don't they will still be effective at their role.

Also, don't disagree about the risk/reward with Delpit, just saying there's no denying the cons/risks. There's no way to prove his output was a product of injury or draft stock preservation. They're in the range of potential outcomes, but so is him just being pillow soft.

Yeah, I get why Buckeye honks were perturbed with picking Phillips over Malik Harrison, but it's because they're Buckeye honks. I think they're very similar prospects. They excelled in their particular role and have the ability to expand on it, but weren't tasked with it in college because their team didn't need them to. Will they successfully transition to more responsibilities? I don't know, but there's justifiable reason to believe they will. And even if they don't they will still be effective at their role.

Also, don't disagree about the risk/reward with Delpit, just saying there's no denying the cons/risks. There's no way to prove his output was a product of injury or draft stock preservation. They're in the range of potential outcomes, but so is him just being pillow soft.

Joe Thomas said something along the lines of re: Wills that"moving from LT ro RT and RT to LT only takes a few days/weeks... It's basically just kicking out the opposite foot and takes little getting used to" (paraphrased)

Now, easy for a HoF'r to say, but I think he knows. And the fact he's reached out to help Wills develop is MONSTER.
Joe was all-over Wills even before we took him.  He felt he was the best tackle in the draft.  

Check out the vid of Joe on the Jed pick.  He said Berry had Wills as the top OT on his board.

Joe Thomas joins Cleveland Browns Daily  

Former Cleveland Brown Joe Thomas joined Beau Bishop and Nathan Zegura on Cleveland Browns Daily. Joe shares his excitement about the Browns selecting Jedrick Wills Jr. 10th overall in the 2020 NFL Draft and what made Wills his favorite offensive tackle in the draft.
He makes a great point about moving a young-guy from the right-to-left easier than making a veteran who has played for years and ingrained body-memory 'attempting' to make the switch.  

Joe knows the OLT position better than anyone in intricate detail and he's fired-up about Jedrick Wills.  His excitement is infectious.   :clap:

I'm about 20 years past the point of being able to get excited about draft hype. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me 57 times, shame on me.
How many OTs have we taken in the top-ten of the first round?

Fooled us with Joe Thomas who endorses Jed Wills?

The sad-sack Browns-are-lame takes are so old boring dripping with sarcasm and self loathing.  I have no idea what Browns trolls get out of it let alone 'supposed' fans of the team.  

How many OTs have we taken in the top-ten of the first round?

Fooled us with Joe Thomas who endorses Jed Wills?

The sad-sack Browns-are-lame takes are so old boring dripping with sarcasm and self loathing.  I have no idea what Browns trolls get out of it let alone 'supposed' fans of the team.  
I'm a troll?  :confused:

I'm about 20 years past the point of being able to get excited about draft hype. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me 57 times, shame on me.
I get excited about the draft because there is absolutely nothing going on this time of year and doubly so now but win on the field already. April shouldn't be our Christmas, February should.

anyone looking at the Browns schedule?

i don’t see any team on there that looks unbeatable.  (if they play the whole thing)

OBJ has really plummeted in drafts this year.  I been in four drafts and acquired him at

2.10 in a 16 teamer

2.11 in a 16 teamer

3.6 in a 12 teamer

4.2 in a 10 team super flex I passed on him for Carson Wentz and he went at 4.4

I like shiny things and it looks like Odell will be on a lot of my teams.

OBJ has really plummeted in drafts this year.  I been in four drafts and acquired him at

2.10 in a 16 teamer

2.11 in a 16 teamer

3.6 in a 12 teamer

4.2 in a 10 team super flex I passed on him for Carson Wentz and he went at 4.4

I like shiny things and it looks like Odell will be on a lot of my teams.
I think buying-low on OBJ is a good investment.

Odell Beckham Jr. foresees one of his best seasons: 'This is my time'

" Beckham said in a video posted to his YouTube channel Monday. "Being able to just get everything fixed. Shoulder, arms, back, everything aligned, functional, moving properly, so I can begin training to be ready for the season.

"I would honestly say this is probably going to be one of my best seasons. Bigger, stronger, faster -- this is my time."

The guy who did that piece is Brett Kollmann and he is fantastic.

Brett did an incredible break-down of Baker Mayfield's struggles last year under Kitchens.

THIS is what I had been sitting on for months but now that you broke the Brett Kollmann seal its time to share  this video.

Too much in this video which is a MUST WATCH to see issues with Baker.

LINK >>  📽️ >>   The Ballad of Baker Mayfield: Why the Browns are an emotional roller coaster  

Pessimistic prediction: 4-12

L @BAL

W CIN

W WAS

L @DAL

L IND

L @PIT

W @CIN

L LV

L HOU

L PHI

W @JAX