What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***OFFICIAL 'The Walking Dead' TV Series Thread*** (9 Viewers)

A couple things that stuck out to me last night and again while re-watching it over my lunch break...

Thought for sure these "hints" were leading up To Rick's Arm/hand going away...

Negan says he has a Right hand man.. Hard to do without one... Do you have one Rick... Give me his Ax.." and then a couple hard chops with the Ax on the table in the RV..

Then later, after a few dead were taken out with the ax, Negan Uses Rubbing alcohol to clean the Axe after killing zombies.. figured that was so he could chop of a hand/arm without infecting the person.. 

Also, interested to know where this line goes in regards to Daryl after Daryl struck Negan and Dwight wanted to kill him....

"Naw, you don't kill that.. not until you try a little" :oldunsure:

But the show has no direction.  
What direction are you looking for?  I personally don't think this show is heading to an eventual happy ending.  

I haven't read the comic books, and I think this is fairly well known, but I'll put it spoilers:

According to the comics, "the walking dead" refer to the survivors.  I'm not sure why the this hasn't been in the show, unless they are saving it.

People do evil stuff all the time, and it's not even the apocalypse.  
Like .001% of people engage in very serious evil behavior (rape, murder, assault for the sake of it).  You really think that number significantly increases due to a reduction in population and destruction of an infrastructure? 

It just struck me how similar this show is to Battlestar Galactica. 

After civilization is destroyed a group of survivors is forced to find a new home as they are pursued by forces bent on their destruction. There have been numerous "Tom Zareks" in TWD.

The reason BSG>TWD is that in the latter we've now stopped feeling like we're getting somewhere. It's just one survival situation after another.
Zarek is a bit different in as they provided a plethora of backstory as to why he acted in the manner in which he acted. IIRC, that was a fairly organic and tight character arc.....something that I'm not sure TWD has adhered to. 

Like .001% of people engage in very serious evil behavior (rape, murder, assault for the sake of it).  You really think that number significantly increases due to a reduction in population and destruction of an infrastructure? 
You would like to think that is true and maybe in the US it is, but you go to other parts of the world and there is still a lot of sick behavior out there.

It just struck me how similar this show is to Battlestar Galactica. 

After civilization is destroyed a group of survivors is forced to find a new home as they are pursued by forces bent on their destruction. There have been numerous "Tom Zareks" in TWD.

The reason BSG>TWD is that in the latter we've now stopped feeling like we're getting somewhere. It's just one survival situation after another.
Isn't that kind of the point, though? I mean, I realize there's a difference between what the characters face in this world and what we watch as a show. But I think the point is there is nowhere to get. The world is hopeless. Survival is all there is. They are not going to grow old together and sit around a dinner table at Thanksgiving. 

Having said that - BSG was WAY better than this show. But I still like TWD. 

A) Yes

B) Why does it have to increase significantly? In a land where power rules, the weak will gravitate to the powerful for protection. Thus giving the powerful even more power.

Dictator, Gang Leader, Mob Boss.....even in the Sopranos New York made the argument to off Tony and his leadership and do business with what was left.  
But Negan doesn't really know who Rick is. He THINKS he owns him and I'm guessing/hoping that it will be his fatal flaw.

Answered another way...Negan left Rick alive because he thinks he knows what he's dealing with.

Isn't that kind of the point, though? I mean, I realize there's a difference between what the characters face in this world and what we watch as a show. But I think the point is there is nowhere to get. The world is hopeless. Survival is all there is. They are not going to grow old together and sit around a dinner table at Thanksgiving. 

If that ends up being the point, people will be done with this show pretty quickly from here.

I also think this scenario is muddled by the idea that the show amped up Rick's actions/reactions/violence towards Negan before Negan retaliated.....yet kept Negans retort.

IIRC, only several of Negans men died before Ricks group was caught and they were out of almost self defense towards Negans mens aggressive actions.....the show had Rick go on a multi-pronged offense and kill a multitude of people.

I don't think it's human nature for a dictator to let his break the head of his opposition instead of killing him. I'm struggling to come up with a real world example. 
I've always seen Rick as the only "unkillable" in the cast, so it didn't even cross my mind that he might be the one getting the bad side of Lucille.

After thinking about it, the only thing I could come up with (in the framework of the show) was that some of Negan's current lieutenants (Dwight and that guy that looks like Stamper from House of Cards) were like Rick at one time that he had broken in the past.  It may just be more fun for an ego maniac like Negan to break his opposition mentally rather than physically :shrug:

I think a comic can just be "survive".  I think a television show would get fairly stale without some sort of preliminary endgame in mind. 

The comic can go on indefinitely....the show will eventually reach diminishing returns (cost/actors/ratings)....I'd hope the showrunners have something in their back pocket.  Not saying they need an 11th Hour cure....or an American city to be safe and normal and everyone trying to make it there.....they need something. 

I've always seen Rick as the only "unkillable" in the cast, so it didn't even cross my mind that he might be the one getting the bad side of Lucille.

After thinking about it, the only thing I could come up with (in the framework of the show) was that some of Negan's current lieutenants (Dwight and that guy that looks like Stamper from House of Cards) were like Rick at one time that he had broken in the past.  It may just be more fun for an ego maniac like Negan to break his opposition mentally rather than physically :shrug:
That's a fair point and something that will hopefully play out. I hope there are guys in Negan's outfit that HAVE been broken and he's going off of those past experiences. 

All this BSG talk reminds me of how great a show that was; a show that I think realized about halfway through that they needed "something" and did the right thing by going in that direction.  

Great show and kind of forgotten...I'm going to have to bust out the DVDs again. 

That was quite possibly the worst article I could think of. It is on par with most sports radio. So your premise is you don't like the show and want to stop watching? Great, then don't watch. To write an article about all of this, is just shameless craving for clicks to your site. I felt no reason to even read the thing, when I see their thoughts are 100% to quit the show. Nothing like some numb-nuts telling me all about their opinions, thanks dorks 

:mellow:

Negan guy is more goofy than scary. He's got the psycho vibe sort of but not buying he's some badass that all these other crazy people would follow.

He looks like a more handsome version of the brother on Everybody Loves Raymond

Yes.  I think if you remove the social and legal sanctions from murder (say), you would see quite a bit more of it.  Just look at the international news some time.

Doesn't need to be a 'bad ###' - Negan keeps the food and p flowing for his men and presumably treats them well. 

As far as keeping Rick alive...in feudal terms, Negan made Rick his vassal and had him pledge homage (reverence and submission).  By doing so, Negan knows that Rick puts the lives of his own people above his own pride.

Last edited by a moderator:
A couple things that stuck out to me last night and again while re-watching it over my lunch break...

Thought for sure these "hints" were leading up To Rick's Arm/hand going away...

Negan says he has a Right hand man.. Hard to do without one... Do you have one Rick... Give me his Ax.." and then a couple hard chops with the Ax on the table in the RV..

Then later, after a few dead were taken out with the ax, Negan Uses Rubbing alcohol to clean the Axe after killing zombies.. figured that was so he could chop of a hand/arm without infecting the person.. 

Also, interested to know where this line goes in regards to Daryl after Daryl struck Negan and Dwight wanted to kill him....

"Naw, you don't kill that.. not until you try a little" :oldunsure:
I noted those as well. Was sure he was going to grab Rick's arm on the table, pull it over, chop it off and say, 'How about now'?

and why would Negan's "army" trust these goofballs to take the risk and turn on Negan? Lot safer with the guy with the machine gun, no reason to trust this group of people who are clearly out of their element.

and for those calling Rich out, I still have yet to hear what he was supposed to do. Was he going to take Negan out with the hatchet vs the machine gun? Rick had about 5% chance of maybe killing Negan throughout this, he had no chance and would have had the whole group killed if they kept trying to do dumb things like fight back. Lot of armchair QBs in here thinking Rick has super powers and can win whenever he wants. Negan just brought them back to the real world. :drops mic:
I don't think Rick should have done anything but there are a ton of holes in what you're saying here.  For starters you were responding to a hypothetical about what the army would do if Rick killed Negan.  So their fear about turning on Negan is irrelevant because in this scenario Negan is already dead.

As for Rick's chances with hatchet vs. rifle, Negan left himself open on several occasions.  Particularly after Rick fetched the axe and Negan asked him to hand it back, he was holding the gun down by his side while reaching out for the axe with Rick right in front of him.  Rick easily could have planted the axe in his face before he raised the gun at that awkward angle (there wasn't even enough room in between them for him to point it at Rick) if he had wanted to kill him.  Seemed pretty clear that Rick was holding back to protect the others, not because he didn't think he could take him.

Not only yes, but the 99.99 percent you described are most likely to perish, thereby increasing the percentage of seriously evil people.

I don't think Rick should have done anything but there are a ton of holes in what you're saying here.  For starters you were responding to a hypothetical about what the army would do if Rick killed Negan.  So their fear about turning on Negan is irrelevant because in this scenario Negan is already dead.

As for Rick's chances with hatchet vs. rifle, Negan left himself open on several occasions.  Particularly after Rick fetched the axe and Negan asked him to hand it back, he was holding the gun down by his side while reaching out for the axe with Rick right in front of him.  Rick easily could have planted the axe in his face before he raised the gun at that awkward angle (there wasn't even enough room in between them for him to point it at Rick) if he had wanted to kill him.  Seemed pretty clear that Rick was holding back to protect the others, not because he didn't think he could take him.
i think we can agree to disagree. After the day Rick has been through before getting to this point, are we really sure Rick has all that fight in him? I am sure my view is different then most because i have read most of the comics so i have seen the whole picture of this plot line, so i may be a little biased here, but you might be selling Negan a little short here. The guy comes off all bravado, but to put together the system he has i would think he needs some smarts too. I imagine he doesn't put himself in a position like that without a few outs if he needs them. I just have to think a guy who has built a system over others, with outposts and a bunch of people following him, would not be so arrogant to get killed by some stranger their first meeting

I'm re-watching the episode now and the killings are a little to watch, but outside of that, the acting and way the actors convey how they are feeling is done very well (in my less than amateur ability to critique acting/theatrics). 

Wait wait wait, some of you actually think Rick wussed out? 

The whole "taking him for a ride" thing was to lay it out pretty clear to Rick that he will kill all of his people, and in a brutal way, if Rick doesn't follow his command. 

Sure, Rick could have made a move and maybe even killed him, which would lead to about a 99.999999% probability that all his pals woulda been killed immediately, and then he would have been killed himself.

Yep, great plan folks. 

Daryl was a prime example of "when keeping it real goes wrong".

Last edited by a moderator:
Wait wait wait, some of you actually think Rick wussed out? 

The whole "taking him for a ride" thing was to lay it out pretty clear to Rick that he will kill all of his people, and in a brutal way, if Rick doesn't follow his command. 

Sure, Rick could have made a move and maybe even killed him, which would lead to about a 99.999999% probability that all his pals woulda been killed immediately, and then he would have been killed himself.

Yep, great plan folks. 

Daryl was a prime example of "when keeping it real goes wrong".
This^^^  Plus add the fact that Carl was in the group left behind, still on his knees, mere minutes after watching 2 of his close friends get their heads bashed in.  All those mind flashes Rick had of the rest of his friends and family getting their skulls caved in are the reasons why Rick let his spirit be broken and bow down to Negan.

This^^^  Plus add the fact that Carl was in the group left behind, still on his knees, mere minutes after watching 2 of his close friends get their heads bashed in.  All those mind flashes Rick had of the rest of his friends and family getting their skulls caved in are the reasons why Rick let his spirit be broken and bow down to Negan.
Yeah plus at the end of last season Rick was already broken by Negan. His whole "I'm gonna kill you" line was more an act of bravado than anything really real. He was trying to find the courage within but he didn't really have it. Compare that with his staredown with Gareth in Terminus. That was Rick at his real true BadAsRickGrimes best. Gareth was Dead Man Walking only he didn't know it. But here it was just Rick using words that he couldn't really back with anything of substance. Negan was already breaking him down. The true breakdown was about to come but Negan was already winning. He was breaking Rick's will. He was about to break everything else soon enough.

I thought the comparison between this lineup scene and the one in Terminus with Rick was really striking. It also shows just how much more formidable Negan is than any other foe Rick and the group has encountered before.  

As for Rick's chances with hatchet vs. rifle, Negan left himself open on several occasions. 
OMG, just stop watching now, tough guy.

They went out of their way to show Negan was in control and he could hand Rick any weapon he wanted and he wouldn't be able to do anything. 

"But but but he hand a second when he was handing it over!",  shut up and let the story tellers weave their tale FFS

Users who are viewing this thread