What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Can you negotiate with DirecTV? (2 Viewers)

I wish I could be of more help.  I'm definitely a novice when it comes to cord cutting though.  I will say if you are watching your DirecTV picture in 4k, I definitely think it's possible you'd see a quality difference as I dont think any of the channels have that high a resolution.  The way IPTV works, you are watching someone else's screen who is broadcasting the channel to the service, so the quality will be capped by whatever the person streaming has.
Thanks for the explanation. It's a great service for most people. Tons of content. Ridiculous price.

DIRECTV Sunday Ticket Max

Baseball Ticket 2019

Premier Package 

3 receivers

300 Dollar Visa Card 

78 bucks for 1 year and no contract. 

spoke with Rashon Paster 855 291 0398   

Interesting email today from AT&T.  Of course it's from AT&T - someone figured out how much they were losing to pro-rated services....

Please read this if you receive DIRECTV and/or AT&T Fixed Wireless service(s). We want to remind you that you’re billed in advance for recurring service(s) and/or programming charges and applicable fees based on the terms of your current service agreement(s) with us. Starting January 14, 2019, subject to applicable laws, we’re updating your agreement(s) to include your recurring service(s)/programming charges and fees won’t be prorated if you cancel the above service(s) on any day other than the last day of your billing cycle. Your service(s) will continue until the end of your billing cycle but you won’t get a refund (prorated credits) for any remaining days left in your billing cycle. For products not listed above, refer to their terms of service for more information. 

Got an email a while back from DTV apologizing for poor Sunday Ticket service during one of the weekends. There was a link to click if you had bad service so they would know to apply a partial refund to cover that weeks games. Sure, why not (even though I never noticed that week). The credit did show up on a recent statement.

Interesting email today from AT&T.  Of course it's from AT&T - someone figured out how much they were losing to pro-rated services....
I saw that too. While I want to be outraged I think it will clean up a ton of billing errors for customers and simplify bills. If the pro-rated credits get screwed up the debits and credits to fix it are often other-worldly in their complexity creating frustration for both parties and often multiple phone calls that even thereafter may exacerbate the problems. Rabbit holes ain’t got nothing on these headaches.

So Directv feels it needs to update its streaming app so that you can no longer access recorded shows on your home DVR unless you are on the same network as the DVR. And, in order to reduce that service, they update the app AND make it compatible only with IOS 10 or newer. The older version of the app no longer works, and for those with older iPads who can't upgrade to IOS 10, there's no way to upgrade to the new Directv app. End result = dead app.  Thanks Directv. As much as I hate Comcast, it may be time to move on.

So Directv feels it needs to update its streaming app so that you can no longer access recorded shows on your home DVR unless you are on the same network as the DVR. And, in order to reduce that service, they update the app AND make it compatible only with IOS 10 or newer. The older version of the app no longer works, and for those with older iPads who can't upgrade to IOS 10, there's no way to upgrade to the new Directv app. End result = dead app.  Thanks Directv. As much as I hate Comcast, it may be time to move on.
Not at all uncommon for mobile app developers to not support legacy OSes. iOS 10 is two years old.....that's ancient in the mobile world.

Moving in 2 weeks and have to get our directv switched to the new place. Do they try to charge a lot for it or can you negotiate? 

Moving in 2 weeks and have to get our directv switched to the new place. Do they try to charge a lot for it or can you negotiate? 
When I moved they did it all for free but made me sign a new contract which actually makes sense from there side. 

I was able to still do the whole Sunday ticket thing, but you might find the deals slightly less favorable from a contract depending who you get. I would call and say you’re moving will they move your stuff free and they usually say ya with a contract. 

Now in the last 5 months of my contract where they are paying me $13 a month for service, the Xtra package and HBO. I doubt I'll get $155 credits a month again next time but it's sure been nice.

Moving and getting directv transferred over. Customer service is a nightmare now. Multiple Indian folks I've been moved between. First call to move internet was 45 minutes long. Said I had to call a different number for TV. Called for TV and they said they had no record of moving internet.  Total 1hr 15min on 2nd call. . First part of this call lasted 20 minutes and the lady said she had to transfer me to someone else and start over. Smh. All 3 Indian folks that I could barely understand. 

Finally got switched over to the new address. Fiber for the first time. Awesome. 

I talked to the guy hooking up the Satellite about customer service. He said they've now switched over all customer service reps that work for Directv to Bangladesh and similar type places. No more talking to someone you can communicate with easily. That's very unfortunate. Customer service has always been a big selling point for me with Direct. 

Finally got switched over to the new address. Fiber for the first time. Awesome. 

I talked to the guy hooking up the Satellite about customer service. He said they've now switched over all customer service reps that work for Directv to Bangladesh and similar type places. No more talking to someone you can communicate with easily. That's very unfortunate. Customer service has always been a big selling point for me with Direct. 
Interesting.  When I had issues with DTV about a month ago I was speaking with people with heavy southern accents.  Same communication barrier as I could hardly understand them either.

What a train wreck Direct TV has been.  Long time uVerse customer and got tired of the pricing game every couple of years and every store I walked into some salesperson for Direct TV getting me to switch.  Finally at Costco about 6 weeks ago and caved in and agreed to the switch.  What a comedy of errors that has happened since. 

I figured they are both now AT&T, shouldn't be much difference.  Well, after about 6 technician visits and hours and hours and hours on the phone, the service still doesn't work. 

1 - Installation tech shows up Saturday morning at 8am, when my scheduled install was for the next Tuesday.  I agree to go ahead and just do the install.  All was fine when he left, had a picture, etc - but no On Demand or Rewind, as that takes 24-48 hours to populate since that comes in via the internet.

2 - On Demand and Rewind has never worked in 6+ weeks.  I've now had 5 Direct TV techs and one AT&T internet technician at my house.  Direct TV says it's an internet thing.  The internet says it's a Direct TV thing. 

3 - Since my internet is AT&T and Direct TV is AT&T, they somehow can't figure out how to combine my billing.  Now I've lost my "bundle" price on the internet.  First month my internet went from the $40 bundle price to $60.  AT&T can't figure out how to combine my accounts since the uVerse was under my wife's name and the Direct TV is under my name.  We tried to get them to transfer the internet to my name and then combine accounts, but it's 2 different systems in the AT&T billing world.  So now the internet has gone up to $75 in month 2. 

4 - When signing up at Costco, I was supposed to get a $200 Costco cash card.  Today, a $100 Visa Debit card shows up. 

I've been escalated to the Office of the President at AT&T for weeks now.  It's getting quite comical, as every part of this process has gone horribly wrong.  I still don't have On Demand/Rewind.  They are completely baffled as to what my issue is.  But at least they've credited me the entire first full month and adding on some movie packages as well. 

If it wasn't for my wife, I'd have cut the cord by now. 

What a train wreck Direct TV has been.  Long time uVerse customer and got tired of the pricing game every couple of years and every store I walked into some salesperson for Direct TV getting me to switch.  Finally at Costco about 6 weeks ago and caved in and agreed to the switch.  What a comedy of errors that has happened since. 

I figured they are both now AT&T, shouldn't be much difference.  Well, after about 6 technician visits and hours and hours and hours on the phone, the service still doesn't work. 

1 - Installation tech shows up Saturday morning at 8am, when my scheduled install was for the next Tuesday.  I agree to go ahead and just do the install.  All was fine when he left, had a picture, etc - but no On Demand or Rewind, as that takes 24-48 hours to populate since that comes in via the internet.

2 - On Demand and Rewind has never worked in 6+ weeks.  I've now had 5 Direct TV techs and one AT&T internet technician at my house.  Direct TV says it's an internet thing.  The internet says it's a Direct TV thing. 

3 - Since my internet is AT&T and Direct TV is AT&T, they somehow can't figure out how to combine my billing.  Now I've lost my "bundle" price on the internet.  First month my internet went from the $40 bundle price to $60.  AT&T can't figure out how to combine my accounts since the uVerse was under my wife's name and the Direct TV is under my name.  We tried to get them to transfer the internet to my name and then combine accounts, but it's 2 different systems in the AT&T billing world.  So now the internet has gone up to $75 in month 2. 

4 - When signing up at Costco, I was supposed to get a $200 Costco cash card.  Today, a $100 Visa Debit card shows up. 

I've been escalated to the Office of the President at AT&T for weeks now.  It's getting quite comical, as every part of this process has gone horribly wrong.  I still don't have On Demand/Rewind.  They are completely baffled as to what my issue is.  But at least they've credited me the entire first full month and adding on some movie packages as well. 

If it wasn't for my wife, I'd have cut the cord by now. 
Seems to be the direction they're going. Was hoping it wouldn't change once AT&T took over, but it appears it was only just a matter of time. 

Interesting.  When I had issues with DTV about a month ago I was speaking with people with heavy southern accents.  Same communication barrier as I could hardly understand them either.
My communication involved switching to a new address and upgrading the internet. They couldn't do it all at the same time. Called one number for TV. Then they said I would have to call a different for internet.  2 phone calls to get switched over last a total of 1 hr 45mins. Complete opposite of my experience with DTV over the last 8 years. 

My communication involved switching to a new address and upgrading the internet. They couldn't do it all at the same time. Called one number for TV. Then they said I would have to call a different for internet.  2 phone calls to get switched over last a total of 1 hr 45mins. Complete opposite of my experience with DTV over the last 8 years. 
My experience x100. 

Getting my service to work, let alone my billing combined is beyond something AT&T can figure out. 

I'm dealing with the Office of the President now. Their regular customer service outside the United States was beyond worthless  

Only good part is the more I #####, the more $$ they refund. 

Hell, at this point they can't even figure out how to add HBO to my account. Total ineptitude. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh I agree.  I had the same issues, just with people in the states.  Had to switch people multiple times (had an error message on screen, no change to service).  Every time they pass you to a new person you have to reverify your identity and that whole rigamarole.  Definitely not what it used to be.

Got an email today from DirecTV today that said, "Thank you for contacting DIRECTV. We are processing your change of service request."

I called and asked about it, and rep said my account was "upgraded" with some movie pack that is free for 3 months and am I okay with that?  I asked what happened after 3 months and she said I'd be charged monthly for it.  I said I didn't want it and asked how it was added and she said it showed I called two days to add it.  

What is this sketchy bull####?

Got an email today from DirecTV today that said, "Thank you for contacting DIRECTV. We are processing your change of service request."

I called and asked about it, and rep said my account was "upgraded" with some movie pack that is free for 3 months and am I okay with that?  I asked what happened after 3 months and she said I'd be charged monthly for it.  I said I didn't want it and asked how it was added and she said it showed I called two days to add it.  

I have no idea, but it happened to me too.  Pitched a fit and they gave me a discount on HBO (which I did actually already have).  Still not worth it.

I've had DirecTV and ATT cell for years. They've been trying to merge my billing ever since they took over DTV.

This is confirming everything I expected after hearing that AT&T was taking over DirecTV. 

The bizarre thing is how/why their customer service is so consistently awful for so many years.  If you have a customer that's been on the line for 30+ minutes, maybe, just maybe, you should stop ####ing them around, figure out a solution offline and get back to the customer. 

Mrs. Rannous said:
I have no idea, but it happened to me too.  Pitched a fit and they gave me a discount on HBO (which I did actually already have).  Still not worth it.
This week?

shuke said:

Haven't had this happen to me with DirecTV yet, but I had it happen to me with Xfinity three times.  The firs two times, I got a bill for triple my monthly bill.  Looked at the detail and home phone had been added and a couple hundred dollars of international calling had been done without my knowledge.  Both times I called and said this wasn't me and I didn't add it and they took it off.  The third time I spent over an hour talking to managers about how this could have been added without my consent and basically accused them of scamming me.  Got a fat discount for a extended period of time.

I'm guessing this is a widespread scam either with the providers knowledge, or tacit consent by not really caring how it is happening.

Let the yearly game begin. I called the movers connection. They advised me my 55.00 credit from last year was ending. There would be a new 12 month agreement to transfer service. No NFL ticket offer, and a movers fee of 199.00.

I waited 4 days and called to cancel tonight. I advised that I was getting absolutly nothing in return for moving my service, other than a new contract and an additional fee. I let them know I was only with them for the Ticket, and I can bundle services with Xfinity and get redzone.

No offer made and they now only cancel at the end of your bill cycle. My service wont be turned off until June 22.

I now await for my win back call. I will post an update.

Let the yearly game begin. I called the movers connection. They advised me my 55.00 credit from last year was ending. There would be a new 12 month agreement to transfer service. No NFL ticket offer, and a movers fee of 199.00.

I waited 4 days and called to cancel tonight. I advised that I was getting absolutly nothing in return for moving my service, other than a new contract and an additional fee. I let them know I was only with them for the Ticket, and I can bundle services with Xfinity and get redzone.

No offer made and they now only cancel at the end of your bill cycle. My service wont be turned off until June 22.

I now await for my win back call. I will post an update.
The article I posted said they were more than happy to let deal seekers like you go. Keep us updated.

called today, as my promo had fallen off.   i wasn't calling to get the ticket.  part of my call, was actually to ensure that the auto payments for the ticket didn't start up.  so i made sure to cancel it now.  i'm not even going to really push for it this year.  i don't really care. :mellow:   the call was simply to lower my bill.  $136/mo is too much for f'ing tv

talked to one lady, she immediately credited me $50.  she went to look into what other deals she could get me and we were disconnected.  she was really nice.   :(  

called back, got some dude from where i grew up.  he seemed new.  also really nice.  at first, he said there were no promotions showing up for my account.  he put me on hold 3 times to go talk to other people and see what he could do for me.  i was on hold for a long time.  10+ minutes on one of them.  but he came back with $30/mo off for 12 months.  no contract.  with the bonus of the first ladies $50, i got $80 off this months bill.  i'll take it.  i may call about the ticket, but probably not. after 18 years or so,  i'd rather have my sundays.  

:shrug:

Pet Peeves — even before AT&T

DVR software is ancient, slow, clunky, and still worse than TiVo circa 20 years ago.

They manipulate the original air dates so even if you only want to record new programs, it records reruns as well.

More Recent—

They turned off my auto pay resulting in me having to call to pay. Happened twice.

Not looking forward to the discount dance this year.

Johnny Rock said:
Pet Peeves — even before AT&T

DVR software is ancient, slow, clunky, and still worse than TiVo circa 20 years ago.
Yes.  I ####ing hate it.  Trying to search for some things this week and manage my subscriptions had me close to canceling.  What you said about Tivo is spot on.

My discounts from last year expire at the end of this month (July).  

Set my cancellation date for 8/1 & will see what happens.  I plan on actually letting the service disconnect & then if they have a great win back offer that includes ST Max I will consider it.  Will let you know how it turns out. Good luck all  :thumbup:

1) get fire TV 

2) Select an IPTV provided from Troypoint’s website (I use players klub, and Kodi Solutions for a total of $13/mo but will cancel PK ($8) now that KS ($5) is back online). Follow instructions to install. 

3) Enjoy every channel, sports package, premium channel, and PPV event for $60/year. 
Really? I may do this.  Sick of doing the dance

Really? I may do this.  Sick of doing the dance
It’s easy to set it up and test it out while keeping DTV as backup... in case you don’t love it. 

1) occasionally you can hit buffering issues due to your connection or traffic on their end. It varies day to day but for good providers it is rare to very rare. 

2) If you’re a channel surfer, this probably isn’t for you. The ease/speed of changing from channel to channel is not on par with DTV, and even might be a bit cumbersome. 

3) the EPG (TV guide) is pretty good for most channels but isn’t as good as DTV. 

That said... it’s $5/mo.... 

It’s easy to set it up and test it out while keeping DTV as backup... in case you don’t love it. 

1) occasionally you can hit buffering issues due to your connection or traffic on their end. It varies day to day but for good providers it is rare to very rare. 

2) If you’re a channel surfer, this probably isn’t for you. The ease/speed of changing from channel to channel is not on par with DTV, and even might be a bit cumbersome. 

3) the EPG (TV guide) is pretty good for most channels but isn’t as good as DTV. 

That said... it’s $5/mo.... 
No DVR right?

No DVR right?
Don't need a DVR if you also install a free app like Cinema HD, which has pretty much every TV show and Movie. Just search what you want to watch and even newest TV episodes are up like a day after they air. Just pick a stream and go. You can save favorite shows and movies for quick navigation.

I have FIOS cable but don't have any premium channels so I pay $8/month for Limitless IPTV. Every live sporting event, PPV, all the movie channels and a ton of channels from around the globe, and I have Cinema HD for movies and TV shows on demand. There's pretty much nothing I can't watch whenever I want.

So, we are moving at the end of the month.  I've done the "Negotiation Mamba" every year, but wondered if there was any advice for this somewhat unique circumstance.  I'm out of contract and in the last month of credits from last year.

I wouldn't mind a free upgrade to their 4k receiver, even though the channel selection in 4k is sparse at best.  Maybe future-proofing a little?  I've heard about a significant charge to move, even though they advertise to call them and they'll make the process easy.

Anybody have any experience with moving?  Best to cancel and reup or negotiate?

So, we are moving at the end of the month.  I've done the "Negotiation Mamba" every year, but wondered if there was any advice for this somewhat unique circumstance.  I'm out of contract and in the last month of credits from last year.

I wouldn't mind a free upgrade to their 4k receiver, even though the channel selection in 4k is sparse at best.  Maybe future-proofing a little?  I've heard about a significant charge to move, even though they advertise to call them and they'll make the process easy.

Anybody have any experience with moving?  Best to cancel and reup or negotiate?
Yeah you can def get some good stuff for moving.  You will have to do a bit of a dance but when I moved I got the ticket, discounts and hardware.  Get it all done in one call

Thanks @need2know.  How far in advance did you call?  We're moving on 7/29 and I don't think the new house has a dish.

Just to confirm, you didn't cancel but just called and told them you were moving, correct?  Assuming based on the free stuff, there was no additional fees for the move, correct?

Users who are viewing this thread