What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Can you negotiate with DirecTV? (5 Viewers)

Just got done with my call.

$60 off for 12 months on extra package

$100 off Sunday Ticket Max

Previous 12 months my bill was $862 this 12 month it will be 902. $40 increase 

HBO, Cinemax, Showtime free 6 months

Maybe could of done better if I played the cancel game like I have in the past but I'm happy with it and it only took 37 minutes of my time and one call.

Just made my annual call as the 1st installment for ST hit my bill. Didn't go the cancellation route this time, just called the normal customer service # and said that I wanted to check for promotions. I'm on the Premier plan with 3 TVs and currently starting the 2nd year of $63 per month discounts, which brings the cost of Premier down to $122 per month.

When the agent came on the line I said that our bill had gone up due to the renewal of ST and we were looking for a way to decrease our costs. She said asked if I was interested in ST or ST Max and I said whichever I could get cheaper was fine with me. Turns out there is a better deal going on with Max than regular ST. For regular ST she offered a monthly discount of $12 which would have brought the monthly installment for ST down to $37 from $49. However, for Max I would not only receive that discount but also a $35 monthly credit on the account which meant that I would pay $18 per month for 6 months for ST Max.

I took the offer for ST Max and the call was over in 5 minutes. Next year when our current 2 year contract ends I'll be in better position to go the cancellation route if necessary.
So you end up paying $108 for ST Max?  I suppose that's not bad.

I'm at the point every year where it's more about the principle.  I could pay the $300 and avoid the frustration and hassle.  But it's almost like a yearly power struggle and we'll see who blinks first.  Sometimes I wonder if paying the money would save me a little anxiety and consternation. 

So you end up paying $108 for ST Max?  I suppose that's not bad.

I'm at the point every year where it's more about the principle.  I could pay the $300 and avoid the frustration and hassle.  But it's almost like a yearly power struggle and we'll see who blinks first.  Sometimes I wonder if paying the money would save me a little anxiety and consternation. 
Yes, supposedly only paying $108 for ST Max for the season. Figured I'm already getting $63 per month in credits for the next year and now saving almost $300 on ST Max. Wasn't sure that going the cancellation route would get me much more than that, so I took the path of least resistance and a short phone call, rather than the hassle that I usually have to go through. Next year at this time I won't have any credits on my account so it will be time to fight the machine again.

Seems like they are getting stingier on the ticket. Of course it also looks like alot aren't cancelling and renewing to get it? I think I'll be billed today for month 12. I need to wait to cancel until end of month to get best deal right?

Yep, just billed. 8/5 to 9/4. Last of credits used.

Xtra 77.00 (54.00 off 12 of 12)

Movie Channels 53.99

Sunday Ticket refund -48.99

Total 82.00

Paid full price for two months on movie channels. Had discount before that. Didn't want to ask for deal 2 months before cancelling/renewing in case that disqualified me for something.

Called today and didn't get anywhere with them, I figured as much, been with them for 10 years. So we put the cancel date in for 3 weeks and waiting a day or so for the call and if I don't get the call I will call one of the magic numbers, 870-345-3640 and 855-291-0398. Stay tuned....

Called the numbers above and was told there wasn't anything they could really offer.  She said clearly to cancel and then call and the offers will get significantly better.  Contract is through end of September so I can't call for another 3 weeks at the end of August.  I get to play the game soon.....

If you can, when you post your results it helps if you specify if you ever actually let service go away or if you just setup a cancellation date. 

one neat thing about direct tv is that you look space age and like a mini nasa factory when they put that dish on your house and bam the nutsos on your block will probably think you are a nsa assasin so you will have that going for you take that to the bank bromigos 

Hmm, made my first call of the year. Maybe I was a bit early but i wanted to get it rolling. Noticeable differences:

- The robut operator sent me straight to the cancellations department when i requested to cancel service. Didnt have to argue through the front line minion.

- This threw off my patter a little bit as I always say i was just disconnected from the cancellation department, operator said she was with cancellations and i must have not gotten very far because it wasnt logged. Meh

- She literally scheduled my disconnect before even trying to toss me an offer.

- Offered 40 a month off the bill, and absolutely nothing else. Didnt even offset the ticket. I declined politely.

Conclusions: they are definitely stingier this year on the front end, and i suspect there are some notes in my file that I havent paid for the ticket in ten years or whatever. The operator was polite enough but seemed uninvested in keeping me, which is new. Normally I would have hung up and tried my luck with a different one, but I would probably end up cancelling anyway so why waste time.  And they absolutely aren't dangling the free ticket to keep you like they have in the past, at least on the front end.

I'll toss an update if and when i get the deal I want, and if not (for some reason), I got no problem walking either.

Edit: Oh and the cancellation process is totally different now that they want you to take the equipment to a shipping center (i #####ed about that, didnt even make a dent). Which also means they can disconnect you like instantly, which implies there wont be a time lag between cancellation and service cut off to reach a deal. I had her delay it a while to see if i got any calls, or if not i'll call the number and see what happens. Dont really want to go through a service cut off if its not necessary.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmm, made my first call of the year. Maybe I was a bit early but i wanted to get it rolling. Noticeable differences:

- The robut operator sent me straight to the cancellations department when i requested to cancel service. Didnt have to argue through the front line minion.

- This threw off my patter a little bit as I always say i was just disconnected from the cancellation department, operator said she was with cancellations and i must have not gotten very far because it wasnt logged. Meh

- She literally scheduled my disconnect before even trying to toss me an offer.

- Offered 40 a month off the bill, and absolutely nothing else. Didnt even offset the ticket. I declined politely.

Conclusions: they are definitely stingier this year on the front end, and i suspect there are some notes in my file that I havent paid for the ticket in ten years or whatever. The operator was polite enough but seemed uninvested in keeping me, which is new. Normally I would have hung up and tried my luck with a different one, but I would probably end up cancelling anyway so why waste time.  And they absolutely aren't dangling the free ticket to keep you like they have in the past, at least on the front end.

I'll toss an update if and when i get the deal I want, and if not (for some reason), I got no problem walking either.

Edit: Oh and the cancellation process is totally different now that they want you to take the equipment to a shipping center (i #####ed about that, didnt even make a dent). Which also means they can disconnect you like instantly, which implies there wont be a time lag between cancellation and service cut off to reach a deal. I had her delay it a while to see if i got any calls, or if not i'll call the number and see what happens. Dont really want to go through a service cut off if its not necessary.
I was told they still mail you boxes to bring to the UPS center to ship back to them.  They do the packing you just bring the equipment. You can also call the number once you are officially canceled (it's a page or two back) and just say you missed a call from them and were at work.  They offer you all the new customer type deals.

Got the call back quick this year, few hrs really. 

-- NFL Max Ticket Free

-- $60 off a month for a year

-- Movie Channels free for 3 months.

-- 1yr contract Whatever...

Good enough for me, until next year.

Called today and didn't get anywhere with them, I figured as much, been with them for 10 years. So we put the cancel date in for 3 weeks and waiting a day or so for the call and if I don't get the call I will call one of the magic numbers, 870-345-3640 and 855-291-0398. Stay tuned....
Still in contract?

Called a couple days ago because our previous credits had fallen off last month. Spoke to a young lady and she said no problem, let me take a look. She came back with $50/month and HBO/Cine for a year. She said her system didn't show any ST promotions available for my account and to try back in August.

Total time on the phone was 22 minutes
 I called up 1 and 2 August and got the No deals available for the NFL, try again later. Kind of felt like I was getting the brush off. So I told the last person I spoke to to cancel on the 5th. The 5th rolls around with no phone calls, no emails and service gets disconnected at 0001. So I called up, said I missed a call at work and wondered en addicted to Sharp Oif there as anything they could do. The girl i spoke to said sure. I can get you down to $50 a month (another $38 less than what I had with that last offer). Feeling empowered I saiid a big reason why I disconnected was because of the ST. She promptly said "Oh I can add that for you" Then I said Mrs Simsarge said she's gotten addicted to Sharp Objects and could they add HBO back in too? "Let me see what I can do" . About a minute later, "Yes, I can include HBO for 6 months". 

Total time on the phone was probably 30 mins tops. Total aggravation time for the kids was the 16 hours with no TV. None for me as I had total faith in the process thanks to you guys.Been a few years with out Sunday Ticket because I as working two or three weekends a month, so it wasn't worth the expense or aggravation calling or disconnecting. I just retired, and figured I as going to treat myself for one year anyways. Hopefully the Vikes make it an exciting treat.

Silly tat they make you go through that process. I'm happy because I'm getting the ticket and saving more money. But they could have saved themselves the $40 a month and hooked me up with the football the first time.  :shrug:

On my initial call now.  They offered ST Max Free. Still negotiating.
Didn’t have to disconnect this time.

Told them i was cancelling because i wanted Red Zone and it max was too expensive.  She said, “well, what if i gave you Max for free?”

Then it was on. I have choice.  They knocked $60 off price.  Gave me MLB extra innings free for rest of season. Free HBO, Cinemax and sports pack for 6 months.  Showtime free for 4 momths.

Best part?  No contract at all.  Not even 12 months. 

First time in 4-5 years i didn’t have to cancel.

ill have to check the email and my account closely to make sure nothing gets screwed up.  Overall pleased with this 26 minute phone call.

Still showing negative $63 on my account.  Says next auto deduction is September 6th.  Wonder if September and October will be free before I even start my $30 a month gig.

Just made my annual call as the 1st installment for ST hit my bill. Didn't go the cancellation route this time, just called the normal customer service # and said that I wanted to check for promotions. I'm on the Premier plan with 3 TVs and currently starting the 2nd year of $63 per month discounts, which brings the cost of Premier down to $122 per month.

When the agent came on the line I said that our bill had gone up due to the renewal of ST and we were looking for a way to decrease our costs. She said asked if I was interested in ST or ST Max and I said whichever I could get cheaper was fine with me. Turns out there is a better deal going on with Max than regular ST. For regular ST she offered a monthly discount of $12 which would have brought the monthly installment for ST down to $37 from $49. However, for Max I would not only receive that discount but also a $35 monthly credit on the account which meant that I would pay $18 per month for 6 months for ST Max.

I took the offer for ST Max and the call was over in 5 minutes. Next year when our current 2 year contract ends I'll be in better position to go the cancellation route if necessary.
Looking on the website at my recent activity, it is interesting to see how they are giving me the additional credits for ST Max. Apparently by subscribing to Max instead of regular ST we qualified for credits for all of the movie channels which are already included in our Premier package. So we're now getting $22 in credits every month for HBO, Starz, Cinemax, and Showtime and $10 per month for the Sports package. The discount related to ST Max is $16.50 per month. Seems kind of strange that getting ST Max was required to get those movie channel discounts, but it works for me.

Does anyone have the $8.99 protection plan?  I do, but I am considering cancelling...
I'm actually considering adding.  Ever since the GUI update, the quality of my picture has been really bad.  I'm on record with them about that....I'm hoping that I can get some new equipment (I'm about 4 years old right now) with this new plan.

I'm actually considering adding.  Ever since the GUI update, the quality of my picture has been really bad.  I'm on record with them about that....I'm hoping that I can get some new equipment (I'm about 4 years old right now) with this new plan.
I have all the latest equipment (Genie DVR, etc).  Not sure if any new equipment came out since last year.  The only thing this gives me is free equipment upgrades in addition to the service calls....

Called 3 different days and spoke with 3 different people, and got offered the same 25% off Max every time. Brought up the perks I see cancelled customers are offered, played the long-time customer card, told them I wasn't trying to get a free ride, just something I could afford, but none of my approaches that worked in the past would fly this time. Friendly discussion all the way through, but they didn't care and wouldn't give me anything else, said that was the only discount they are offering this season.

Damn you Red Zone channel and your evil mind control...

I called as well, but I am in the last year of the 2 year contract.  ETF is $20/month.  I called asking for my monthly bill to stay the same in year 2 and they excalated it and will be calling me back.  I basically said I was cancelling if I couldn't get bill to stay the same and offer a deal on STMax.  I am paid through 9/6/18 so I have some time...  

The ETF doesn't bother me since the company I will transfer to will absorb "some" of it and they offer the RZC as a stand alone channel...

Called 3 different days and spoke with 3 different people, and got offered the same 25% off Max every time. Brought up the perks I see cancelled customers are offered, played the long-time customer card, told them I wasn't trying to get a free ride, just something I could afford, but none of my approaches that worked in the past would fly this time. Friendly discussion all the way through, but they didn't care and wouldn't give me anything else, said that was the only discount they are offering this season.

Damn you Red Zone channel and your evil mind control...
Just play the game.  Hopefully the game still works next year. 

I was just out of contract when I called.
Nice!

I have little leverage other than cancelling being in contract.  My saving grace is I can hang the other company offering RZC as a standalone with no weather disruptions (I have complained about the rain fade - and I have over 98% signal strength).

I really don't care either way.  Either they accomodate me or lose me....

Just called, talked about cancelling. I'm out of contract period.

She gave me $45 off my bill as a loyalty discount (now paying something like $70 with HBO and 2nd lowest package). 

In addition, she offered me Sunday Ticket Max at $99 off (so like $300 vs $400).  Best she could do.  She gave me the discount regardless but said to call back closer to the season start and she could probably give a bigger deal off the Sunday Ticket. For now, I saved $45/month over the next 12 months for basically nothing, so that was a big win.   I will call back after the season starts and see about getting it for even cheaper.

Cancellation goes through at midnight tonight
Just got off the phone on my way home.  Called the 870-345-3640 # and said I missed a call.  They said they could offer me my existing package (XTRA + the sports fee) for $54/month (was paying $85 previously) with zero commitment.  Wouldn't give me anything as far as gift card or Sunday ticket.  I really pushed the Sunday ticket thing saying that was the only thing that set them apart from cutting the cord.  I said, that it wasn't worth it for me; but if he wanted to talk to a manager and call me back to do so.  He said he would, although I'm not expecting it.

When it's all said and done, I will take that deal if I don't get anything better...and even if I buy the Sunday ticket max, it will still only put me out $4/month more than I was spending previously.

I called yesterday. Been a subscriber since 2005 and Sunday Ticket subscriber the whole time. I call every year and usually take the first offer, which is usually along the lines of free Sunday Ticket Max. Called the 866 number listed in this thread yesterday and got a friendly guy who first took a look at our TV package and got us a cheaper one. Then he took off $12.25 per month for six months. Then $5 off HBO for six months. I asked if there was any way I could get free Ticket Max. He put me on hold and came back with the $60 off per month for 12 months. I've never gotten a deal like that. He called it a "loyalty offer." I'll take it!

I called yesterday. Been a subscriber since 2005 and Sunday Ticket subscriber the whole time. I call every year and usually take the first offer, which is usually along the lines of free Sunday Ticket Max. Called the 866 number listed in this thread yesterday and got a friendly guy who first took a look at our TV package and got us a cheaper one. Then he took off $12.25 per month for six months. Then $5 off HBO for six months. I asked if there was any way I could get free Ticket Max. He put me on hold and came back with the $60 off per month for 12 months. I've never gotten a deal like that. He called it a "loyalty offer." I'll take it!
The best year ever keeps giving :)

What number did you call?  Could someone post the best number to call?

Just got off the phone on my way home.  Called the 870-345-3640 # and said I missed a call.  They said they could offer me my existing package (XTRA + the sports fee) for $54/month (was paying $85 previously) with zero commitment.  Wouldn't give me anything as far as gift card or Sunday ticket.  I really pushed the Sunday ticket thing saying that was the only thing that set them apart from cutting the cord.  I said, that it wasn't worth it for me; but if he wanted to talk to a manager and call me back to do so.  He said he would, although I'm not expecting it.

When it's all said and done, I will take that deal if I don't get anything better...and even if I buy the Sunday ticket max, it will still only put me out $4/month more than I was spending previously.
This time I called the 855-291-0398 # and got offered virtually the same deal, but with 6 free months of HBO and they said the Sunday Ticket promotions should be coming via phone and email soon.  Even without them I'm ahead of where I was last year due to the free HBO....if I get some sort of promotion for Sunday Ticket, even better.

So I don't think there's any method to what deals are offered, I guess it's just luck of the draw :shrug:

Anybody get any deals in addition to new equipment?  Mine is ancient and have been playing the discount game for years with good luck. Not under contract but am figuring new boxes/genie may finally get to me. 

This time I called the 855-291-0398 # and got offered virtually the same deal, but with 6 free months of HBO and they said the Sunday Ticket promotions should be coming via phone and email soon.  Even without them I'm ahead of where I was last year due to the free HBO....if I get some sort of promotion for Sunday Ticket, even better.

So I don't think there's any method to what deals are offered, I guess it's just luck of the draw :shrug:
Oh yeah, no contract either

there is no best number this year. 

I have seen about 6 different numbers listed in the thread and people seem to be having good luck with all of them.
yes it seems that way.  we are still a ways from actual football too.  I still have to wait until end of the month so im trying to create a good list of numbers to attack

It's extremely weird, every rep is different and adding on Sunday Ticket brings up better offers and discounts.  I guess you need to hope the person you get has taken many calls from football fans.

Try calling back again saying you missed a call and try a different approach, I'm curious if it'll be the same offer of $54 off a month of if they'll throw in movie channels and ticket this time. 

Anybody get any deals in addition to new equipment?  Mine is ancient and have been playing the discount game for years with good luck. Not under contract but am figuring new boxes/genie may finally get to me. 
From everything I read/hear, new equipment comes with a 2 year committment

yes it seems that way.  we are still a ways from actual football too.  I still have to wait until end of the month so im trying to create a good list of numbers to attack
The numbers are getting you to the right area. In years past you'd have the regular number and then the non disconnect number, the numbers change every year but let's keep a list going on what numbers CALL YOU AFTER DISCONNECTION.   #TeamFBGs

This was the first year where the rep gave me a different number to call next year to get her.

Try calling back again saying you missed a call and try a different approach, I'm curious if it'll be the same offer of $54 off a month of if they'll throw in movie channels and ticket this time. 
I took the deal last night.  I don't have time to be calling back too many times to get the perfect deal.  Just getting a better deal than last year works for me.

Someone here mentioned that as the football season gets closer that they offer discounts for ST.   Is this so?  I'm debating whether to call now or see what promotions come out.

Also, anyone have luck by chatting online with directv?

Someone here mentioned that as the football season gets closer that they offer discounts for ST.   Is this so?  I'm debating whether to call now or see what promotions come out.
That's what they told me last night on the phone.  I've always had it for free, so I never paid attention in previous seasons.  Although I have leverage since I don't have a contract, I might just cancel if I don't get a discount.

Also, anyone have luck by chatting online with directv?
I got it added in for free about two weeks ago. The rep said adding in Sunday Ticket Max actually brought up more deals for me.  I ended up getting $65 off for 12 months and $47 off for 12.  My Bill should be about $28+ tax somehow.  Extra, with sunday ticket max, 3 TV's

Users who are viewing this thread