What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Antonio Brown, FA (17 Viewers)

Some people keep invoking "head injuries, CTE, head injuries, CTE, etc. ..." I don't know if the connection is just that clear. Many other guys have had multiple concussions and repetitive subconcussive trauma to the head -- but Antonio Brown's actions seem to stand alone. Seems he would have had some predecessors if head injuries alone were enough to take a normal, everyday NFL player and turn him into 2019 Antonio Brown.

Looks more like a central component of his personality has been exposed after many years of remaining mostly under wraps.
Correct. He simply grew a huge ego and has totally gone nuts. He's high on himself. There's no CTE. That would not arise this quickly.

The symptoms of CTE generally do not present until years or decades after the brain trauma occurred or after one stops actively playing contact sports. ... Post-concussion syndrome is different than CTE, and the symptoms of post-concussive syndrome usually resolve years or decades before the onset of CTE symptoms

If a desperate team can’t land a trade for a WR by the deadline then AB is there as a break glass in case of emergency signing. 

A lot obviously depends on the leagues investigation

If he was going to be signed it would likely only happen immediately after the deadline has passed. 
I really don't get what the trade deadline has to do with anything. Teams are waiting to see if AB ends up on the exempt list or gets suspended. They won't know his status or availability before the trade deadline in a few days. Teams would want Brown because he would be an upgrade at WR for every team in the league (at least on the field). Teams may elect not to pursue him for his off field antics, but there is no denying he has value based on his play.

You're probably right, I also think it's a psychological issue. But he probably started playing football as a kid, so he may have had decades of exposure. 

I really don't get what the trade deadline has to do with anything. Teams are waiting to see if AB ends up on the exempt list or gets suspended. They won't know his status or availability before the trade deadline in a few days. Teams would want Brown because he would be an upgrade at WR for every team in the league (at least on the field). Teams may elect not to pursue him for his off field antics, but there is no denying he has value based on his play.
As soon as he signs with a team he could ( probably would IMO) get put on the Commissioner's Exempt list where he would still get paid.   A team could try to structure a contract to deal with that but it would have to pass muster with both the league and the NFLPA.    It's probably more trouble/drama that most teams would not want to have to deal with.

For WR needy teams looking for a trading partner is the clearest and cleanest path to acquire a player. Possible WR options still available and being floated are AJ Green and Robbie Anderson. If a needy team can't cut a deal then the only real option post trade deadline is AB or even Dez Bryant. 

AB has a very brief window where teams might kick the tires. Knowing his league issues any team interested in AB's services would likely get in early or not at all.  Waiting for the league decision would only drive up the price if it was favorable. 

I don't expect AB to be signed but once the trade deadline passes for teams like Green Bay and New Orleans, teams with older QB's who have a legit chance right now, we are approaching closing time and AB is the last girl in the bar. 

For WR needy teams looking for a trading partner is the clearest and cleanest path to acquire a player. Possible WR options still available and being floated are AJ Green and Robbie Anderson. If a needy team can't cut a deal then the only real option post trade deadline is AB or even Dez Bryant. 

AB has a very brief window where teams might kick the tires. Knowing his league issues any team interested in AB's services would likely get in early or not at all.  Waiting for the league decision would only drive up the price if it was favorable. 

I don't expect AB to be signed but once the trade deadline passes for teams like Green Bay and New Orleans, teams with older QB's who have a legit chance right now, we are approaching closing time and AB is the last girl in the bar. 
I don't know how a team could get past the PR nightmare after signing Brown. There is just too much negative info out there on him now with sexual assault leading the way. He needs to go away and get some distance between his recent actions. Obviously if he is found guilty of the assault he is done. 

No team has Robbie Anderson as Plan A, and Antonio Brown as Plan B.  C'mon now.

There are numerous reasons why no team has stepped up to sign AB (he's suspended, he's bailed on two teams in a year, he's nuts, etc).  

None of those will be any different after the TDL passes.

Dez Bryant :lol: , I can't believe people are holding this guy. 

I doubt AB signs for cheap, and a team like GB or NO either doesnt have the cap space or has other uses for that cap by rolling it over to 2020

There are only 17 people who actually want AB to play again this year - the 17 remaining owners of the subscriber contest

ESPN's Jeremy Fowler reports Antonio Brown is "in a standoff" with the league over his playing status.

Brown said earlier this month he hoped to have his status cleared up "in a few weeks." He's expected to interview with the league at some point, but there hasn't been any movement on that front. Brown could get a second chance when his off-field situation is resolved. The odds remain against him returning this year.

SOURCE: Jeremy Fowler on Twitter

Oct 26, 2019, 11:02 AM ET

Honestly wouldn't mind for this thread to die and sink to the back pages.

AB is not worth the attention, nor is he relevant enough for us to be continually talking about him.

Could he make a comeback? Sure -- I pity the team that has to put up with him at this point given that his true colors couldn't be standing out clearer.

But let's talk about the guy when that happens, not if. He's an affront to professional athletes, with a stress on the word "professional."

Kraft is a jerk that is why Brown isn't in the NFL.  He forced AB out when BB and Brady didn't want him pushed out because he didn't want to pay him the money when he heard about the allegations which is pretty stupid considering of all people Kraft who has what is going with him to be the moral officer.

Brown should 100% be in the NFL right now the NFL is dragging their feet on purpose on this and it's keeping him out.  Nothing like the whole guilty before proven innocent in the NFL.

TheWinz said:
There are only 17 people who actually want AB to play again this year - the 17 remaining owners of the subscriber contest
Oh the person that has him in 25 fantasy leagues.  I rather win $250K then win subscriber contest.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dr. Dan said:
Dez Bryant :lol: , I can't believe people are holding this guy. 

I doubt AB signs for cheap, and a team like GB or NO either doesnt have the cap space or has other uses for that cap by rolling it over to 2020
Who said anyone was holding Dez Bryant?

Kraft is a jerk that is why Brown isn't in the NFL.  He forced AB out when BB and Brady didn't want him pushed out because he didn't want to pay him the money when he heard about the allegations which is pretty stupid considering of all people Kraft who has what is going with him to be the moral officer.

Brown should 100% be in the NFL right now the NFL is dragging their feet on purpose on this and it's keeping him out.  Nothing like the whole guilty before proven innocent in the NFL.
I don't feel sorry for Brown.   He got to NE by screwing over Oakland.   I hope he never plays in the NFL again.   

The NFL is dragging their feet because Brown is bad for the NFL. He dug his own grave.

Kraft at least paid for his services so I would hardly compare him to a probable rapist.

Honestly wouldn't mind for this thread to die and sink to the back pages.

AB is not worth the attention, nor is he relevant enough for us to be continually talking about him.

Could he make a comeback? Sure -- I pity the team that has to put up with him at this point given that his true colors couldn't be standing out clearer.

But let's talk about the guy when that happens, not if. He's an affront to professional athletes, with a stress on the word "professional."
As long as nobody is saying anything nice about him I'm all for this thread.

As soon as he signs with a team he could ( probably would IMO) get put on the Commissioner's Exempt list where he would still get paid.   A team could try to structure a contract to deal with that but it would have to pass muster with both the league and the NFLPA.    It's probably more trouble/drama that most teams would not want to have to deal with.
Of all the troubles AB brings, contract structure is way, way down on that list. 

Phone call for you, says his name is Kaepernick?

I don't feel sorry for Brown.   He got to NE by screwing over Oakland.   I hope he never plays in the NFL again.   
Definitely.   The Raiders gave up a 3rd and 5th and got absolutely nothing in return.  If AB would have lived up to his commitment to the Raiders and not been such a jerk he would still be playing.   AB manipulated his way out of Pittsburgh and Oakland by being a selfish XXX.  He didn't give a crap about his teammates or his fans so it is hard for me to feel any sympathy for the guy.

Not sure about the assault charges, but AB is guilty of plenty.  Not sure he's worth the headache. 

Looks like he's in a good place mentally.
He had one on insta this morning that was along the same lines but a little different. Still had F the nfl in it, but minus the racial tones.   Looks like he took it down now.     

I'm convinced he has serious brain damage.  He played for years and we never heard a single bad thing about him. 
Agree 100% and I also seriously believe it’s because of Burfict. That hit was brutal!!

edit to add- does anyone have a timeline as to how long after that hit all the troubles with him began or am I wrong and were there troubles before the hit. 

Agree 100% and I also seriously believe it’s because of Burfict. That hit was brutal!!

edit to add- does anyone have a timeline as to how long after that hit all the troubles with him began or am I wrong and were there troubles before the hit. 
He's been an idiot since 2012. $ turned him into a ####.

July 28, 2012: The Pittsburgh Steelers and Antonio Brown agreed to a five-year, $42.5 million deal after his two stellar seasons. Brown’s former teammate Ryan Clark would reveal six years later that Brown started to yell at then-defensive coordinator **** LeBeau and other defenders not to touch him because he was “the franchise.” Clark made the revelation on ESPN in December 2018.

"I'm just very frustrated right now with the false allegations and slander to my name. I love football and I miss it. I just want to play and I'm very emotional about that. I'm determined to make my way back to the NFL asap"
This is a lucid, well thought-out, intelligent and coherent post.     As someone that has followed AB's tweets I find it hard to believe that he composed this one.

This is a lucid, well thought-out, intelligent and coherent post.     As someone that has followed AB's tweets I find it hard to believe that he composed this one.
Maybe he put it together himself or, more likely, he agreed to let someone else do it for him. I think either implies some improved decision making by him.

AB Agent: AB, we have a problem. That tweet will kill any chance you have of ever getting another fat paycheck.

AB: So what do we do?

AB Agent: Post this. You might be given one more chance.

Users who are viewing this thread