What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Chaz Schilens (1 Viewer)

wiscstlatlmia

Footballguy
(TheHuddle) Oakland Raiders WR Chaz Schilens' role in the team's offense will continue to expand as he keeps practicing, according to Jerry McDonald, of ANG Newspapers.

Analysis: The Raiders have received at best spotty play from their receivers. With Jacoby Ford seizing one starting gig there's an opening for someone else to step up alongside him. Schilens threatened to be that guy last year prior to suffering an injury, and if he's able to bounce back from the knee and foot injuries that have plagued him this season maybe he'll become Ford's wingman.

I realize he has shown time and again that he cant stay healthy...but maybe this time he can?

Last edited by a moderator:
(TheHuddle) Oakland Raiders WR Chaz Schilens' role in the team's offense will continue to expand as he keeps practicing, according to Jerry McDonald, of ANG Newspapers.Analysis: The Raiders have received at best spotty play from their receivers. With Jacoby Ford seizing one starting gig there's an opening for someone else to step up alongside him. Schilens threatened to be that guy last year prior to suffering an injury, and if he's able to bounce back from the knee and foot injuries that have plagued him this season maybe he'll become Ford's wingman.I realize hes shown time and again that he cant stay healthy...but maybe this time he can?
I have held him in one deep league (roster of 30) out of the six leagues I originally owned him in. I think he may be the most talented WR of the bunch in Oakland, but I have seen other players who got injured and then just were never able to get back into the mix to retake their starting spot. I have very little optimism that he will succeed, but it probably wouldn't take a lot for him to beat out the current competition.

I've held onto Schillens through last year and all of this one. I'd say you cannot start thinking about him being relevant in FF at this point.

If he gets on the field this year and has a decent close to the season, stays healthy and then makes it through an offseason without a significant injury... that is when he will have some relevance.

I'm talking about his relevance more in dynasty leagues. If you are asking about his relevance in a redraft league, I would say he has little-to-none.

Jets sign former Raiders wideout Chaz Schilens

Posted by Evan Silva on March 16, 2012, 4:25 PM EDT

The New York Jets announced Friday that they have signed wide receiver Chaz Schilens, formerly of the Raiders.

The Jets are incredibly thin behind Santonio Holmes at wideout. Jeremy Kerley is a slot receiver only, and free agent Plaxico Burress isn’t coming back. Other Jets receivers under control for 2012 include Logan Payne, Patrick Turner, and Dexter Jackson.

While the Jets figure to continue to add to the position, Schilens should stand a good shot at earning playing time in New York. He knows new receivers coach Sanjay Lal from their time together in Oakland, and has some intriguing tools if he can somehow figure out how to stay healthy.
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/03/16/jets-sign-former-raiders-wideout-chaz-schilens/ :popcorn:

"Do I even dare start talking about him being relevant?"

Unless you are talking about being relevant for a few preseason games and week 17 once he's back from his injury, then no...

I'm holding out hope as I grabbed Chaz toward the middle of last season when he made a mini run at PT/health. If I remember right, the last Raiders training camp where all the Denarius hype hit (for good reason), there were multiple reports (pasted a few quotes below) that Chaz was the best looking WR on the squad (then behind Moore after a while) and looked like the starter.

-'11 TC Report (before Denarius starting really taking off in camp: Schilens is 100% for the first time in a long time and he looks great. He is leaping and high-pointing balls stretching out his 6-4 frame. At one point, he beat rookie Sterling Moore and got behind safeties Tyvon Branch and Stevie Brown to make a long sideline, over-the-shoulder grab.

He was also catching going down the middle and a couple times he took hard hits after the catch. With his injury history, every hit gives pause. But each time, he held onto the ball and popped right back up.

-'11 TC Report: Others who looked good today were WR Chaz Schilens, RB Darren McFadden and LB Rolando McClain. Schilens played the way we know he is capable but rarely see because he is so often injured.

-'11 Season: This season, Chaz has scored two crucial touchdowns- both of which allowed Oakland to eventually pick up the victory. It would be scary to see a completely healthy Chaz Schilens all season, and who knows? Maybe this year showed he can keep himself good? Maybe next year, he'll play the whole season?

-At the end of the day, Chaz has a low-scale rookie contract that is up in 2012. Bringing him back will not hurt the team, either financially or morally. Many said this is a make or break season for him, he might not have a lot of receptions, but he scores when given a shot either in the red-zone or near it.

-Many can question why Chaz can't stay healthy, but everyone's body is different. What matters is, when Chaz can contribute, flashes of brilliance shows. The touchdown he had against the Minnesota Vikings in Week 11? Simply beautiful.

The catch-and-go TD against Houston? Excellent show of smarts and determination.

-Chaz Schilens has a lot to offer the Oakland Raiders; what was seen against Minnesota and Houston is just the tip of the iceberg; keep Chaz around and he will continue to produce as a Raider.

-Schilens scored in the final two games of his rookie NFL season and looked like a Pro Bowl caliber receiver during the following preseason. His quickness after the catch was a surprise to even those who watched his rookie season.

You know it's bad when a guy has so little time on the field due to injury that you have to paste training camp quotes, but the potential seems there. It's a long shot but the size, speed, hands combo and not much competition make him a nice stash...he may just get on the field and stay healthy.

"Do I even dare start talking about him being relevant?"Unless you are talking about being relevant for a few preseason games and week 17 once he's back from his injury, then no...
you realize I posted this two years ago right? lol I always Loved Chaz's talent... kid can ball if he can stay on the field.

The guy who benefits the most from this signing is Kerley since the Jets could have signed a much better, healthier WR.
I wish Fitzgerald and Maurice Morris were on the Jets. We could have Larry, Kerley and Mo.

Last edited by a moderator:
Heard his deal is close to league minimum for one year. He could be a real bargain if he can string some healthy games together. I like this signing for the Jets.

With their D being as bad as it is I see them in a lot of passing situations and garbage time. Someone has to put up #'s in those situations, right?

'Bigboy10182000 said:
With their D being as bad as it is I see them in a lot of passing situations and garbage time. Someone has to put up #'s in those situations, right?
Sanchez is garbage against good defenses but against soft ones he plays relatively well. The lucky thing for the Jets is after the Texans they have a favorable schedule the rest of the way with only the Seahawks and Rams as top 10 pass defenses.

So what do we think now that he'll be starting?
That he's on a very bad team and that he's not that good? :shrug: -QG
He is a lot like Laurent Robinson actually.guy has considerable talent, has a really hard time staying on the field. I think he will emerge as the #1 target for the Jets... for as long as hes healthy
My thoughts exactly. As a Raider fan, I was glad to see Chaz leave Oakland. Guy had plenty of talent but was never on the field. Seemed like a waste of a roster spot. When he is healthy, he should score FF points.

Users who are viewing this thread