What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

SNL is Friggin' Horrible! Except when Timberlake is hosting. (3 Viewers)

Wasn't expecting much from Shelton, but this was one of the funniest episodes in quite some time.

I haven't watched the Kevin Hart one yet, but he has never once made me laugh.
Watched the Kevin Hart monologue last night.

Still waiting for my first laugh from this guy.

Saw a headline that said Lorne Michaels is unsure if SNL should go on after him.

I didn't read it...but wow...what a big head this guy's has...

Saw a headline that said Lorne Michaels is unsure if SNL should go on after him.

To be fair, when he left, SNL became horrible. I'm not saying he's right, but they better start grooming someone to take his spot now, before he leaves.

the headline feels like a stretch given the quotes in the article itself:

In an interview with The Hollywood Reporter, Michaels, who started the show when he was just 30-years-old, was asked what would happen when he left, and said; 'I don't know. I'm going to keep doing it as long as I possibly can because I love it and because it's what I do.'

He then added; 'But there is more niche stuff [now]. Us doing Update and giving it 10 minutes in a 90-minute show was a big deal, but Comedy Central and Jon Stewart, none of that existed then. So things have fragmented.'
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2941179/Saturday-Night-Live-creator-Lorne-Michaels-suggests-iconic-end.html

not sure this is the specific article you're talking about, but others I've found mention the same generic "I don't know what will happen" quote from him.

Tonight's throwback episode was from October, 1990. Swayze hosted and did that legendary Chippendale's routine with Farley. Such brilliance.

Now Carvey playing Johnny Carson to perfection, with Phil Hartman sitting there as Ed McMahon randomly yelling "YES!" and "HEY-OH!!!"

:lmao:

My goodness, the tumble this show has taken.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tonight's throwback episode was from October, 1990. Swayze hosted and did that legendary Chippendale's routine with Farley. Such brilliance.

Now Carvey playing Johnny Carson to perfection, with Phil Hartman sitting there as Ed McMahon randomly yelling "YES!" and "HEY-OH!!!"

Ever since I heard how Farley called his mom crying in shame over that I have a hard time watching it. I guess I am a softy but I felt really bad for the guy.

They've been showing tons of episodes on VH1 (I think; channel 337 on DTv). Seem to be running backward in time,but broken into 'blocks'. I caught some of the Farley block yesterday (they had a 'pop' block for musical acts last week; it is a music channel after all).

Two takeaways:

1. Norm MacDonald was the best Weekend Update host bar none.

2. Molly Shannon is/was criminally underrated

Ever since I heard how Farley called his mom crying in shame over that I have a hard time watching it. I guess I am a softy but I felt really bad for the guy.
Chris Rock attributes the skit to his quick downward spiral.

My girl and I watched this last night and agreed the show was 10 times better back then.

By the way, did you notice the walk-on appearance by Odenkirk? He was a writer at the time.

I dont know how to measure best SNL cast/era, but that late 1980s run is my favorite era of SNL. IMO the biggest difference from the cast then and now is the acting range. Hartman, Hooks, and Nealon could do almost anything. Carvey's impressions and characters could go anywhere.

Anniversary special Sunday night. Including the red carpet hour, at least four hours.

Saturday night won't be a live show. They're rerunning the very first episode, hosted by George Carlin.

Odd to see the musical number coming up so early in the show.
Beat me to it. Ten minutes in.
Much more of a variety show than a sketch onedy show.
In the early-mid 80s, the show still booked variety acts. Harry Anderson would come on and do a sleight-of-hand bit, or a standup comedian would do five minutes in the middle of the show, or Penn & Teller would stage a stunt.When Paul Simon hosted in the second season, George Harrison came on as the musical guest. Simon and Harrison performed an acoustic set early in the show, "Here Comes The Sun" and "Homeward Bound" with Harrison on a 12-string and Simon on a 6-string. Then they spent a couple minutes setting up what today would be called a music video that Harrison and Eric Idle made for a song on Harrison's new album.

Every one of the Muppets sketches from the first season were this bad. Or worse. None of that material would have made the cut on The Muppet Show. Or Fraggle Rock.

Vh1 Classic is airing early episodes of SNL non stop. Every episode has been from the first 5 seasons, most skits are not good. Early SNL being comedy gold is a myth.

I hope people who are saying that SNL "isn't as funny as it used to be" are sitting through this entire broadcast.
It reminds me of the very first episode of "Cheers". The obvious potential was right there, but with Danson's awful hair, the dark, dismal set, and the not-quite-right timing, it seemed a show uncertain of what it was, or should be.

Rolling Stone ranks all 141 cast members in SNL history.

Hard to argue with the Top-20. The rest of the list is hit-or-miss.
Darrell Hammond deserves better than # 49.
Read this thoroughly and it's solid. Biggest no way was Mia Rudolph higher than the 60s, A few other controversies for sure... Agree with the top 3. Farley should be top 5.
I barely started the list but ranking norm McDonald at 135 and describing him as a "Dennis miller clone with no jokes" invalidates the whole thing in my opinion.

That RS list has a lot of trolling within it. And some chickening out of rankings by grouping cast members together. Wish I hadn't read it, and do not recommend it to others.

Read this thoroughly and it's solid. Biggest no way was Mia Rudolph higher than the 60s, A few other controversies for sure... Agree with the top 3. Farley should be top 5.
I barely started the list but ranking norm McDonald at 135 and describing him as a "Dennis miller clone with no jokes" invalidates the whole thing in my opinion.
Norm has expressed some controversial opinions that don't fit at all with Rolling Stone's pathetic attempt to rebrand itself as counter-culturally relevant for the social justice warrior set. That might be responsible for the low ranking. But maybe it's just a list.

If I had to guess, though…I know where I'm going.

Norm has expressed some controversial opinions that don't fit at all with Rolling Stone's pathetic attempt to rebrand itself as counter-culturally relevant for the social justice warrior set. That might be responsible for the low ranking. But maybe it's just a list.

If that were true Dennis Miller would have ranked 142

If that were true Dennis Miller would have ranked 142
Dennis Miller didn't make his turn until much after SNL. He also didn't hammer home O.J. every night, but I see your point. Not worth politicking up a thread like this one. But I'd check the headings and subheadings on the rebound, just to be sure...

I'm pretty sure I'm right. But that's…okay.

Norm is one of the funniest human beings alive. Totally agree.

Users who are viewing this thread