What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Bicycle Guys! (1 Viewer)

I just want to vent and say #### bike tubes.  3 flats in 3 days. Decided to go away from patched tubes so that I don't have this issue for hopefully a week.  Made a special trip to LBS to buy a new tube tonight - whistles like a sieve every pump now that I've got in on the tire. Does that count as 4 flats in 4 days? 

The flats weren't on the same wheel and I did check for nails and ####. 

I just want to vent and say #### bike tubes.  3 flats in 3 days. Decided to go away from patched tubes so that I don't have this issue for hopefully a week.  Made a special trip to LBS to buy a new tube tonight - whistles like a sieve every pump now that I've got in on the tire. Does that count as 4 flats in 4 days? 

I had 3 in a week before I found the pebble that caused them. Frustrating to be sure, be strong buckaroo.

I have three bikes. A gravel bike that I run slicks on when using it in the city. A hardtail mountain bike. And a fat tire bike that I use in winter and as my bikepacking rig and my simple go down the street ride. I have switched both the mountain bike and fat bike to tubeless and can't be happier. I never flatted the fat tire bike, but my mountain bike was frustrating as hell how often I seemed to get flats. Same goes for my gravel bike - I think the tube I have in there has 2 or 3 patches right now.

The only reason I haven't switched my gravel bike to tubeless is because I have to swap tires out so often. Once I find an extra wheelset for that bike, I will convert both sets to tubeless. 

Most wheels can be converted to tubeless. Might be well worth it to look into that.

• Love
Reactions: Ned
Hey, here's the thread I have been looking for.  I ditched my actual 90's mountain bike this winter for a new 90's mountain bike (gravel bike) and have become way more hooked on it than I ever thought I would over the last few months. 

Time to start Hippleing. 

• Smile
Reactions: Ned
I have three bikes. A gravel bike that I run slicks on when using it in the city. A hardtail mountain bike. And a fat tire bike that I use in winter and as my bikepacking rig and my simple go down the street ride. I have switched both the mountain bike and fat bike to tubeless and can't be happier. I never flatted the fat tire bike, but my mountain bike was frustrating as hell how often I seemed to get flats. Same goes for my gravel bike - I think the tube I have in there has 2 or 3 patches right now.

The only reason I haven't switched my gravel bike to tubeless is because I have to swap tires out so often. Once I find an extra wheelset for that bike, I will convert both sets to tubeless. 

Most wheels can be converted to tubeless. Might be well worth it to look into that.
thanks.  I will definitely be asking at my bike shop about tubeless when I go there tonight. 

Ok, in the processs of purchasing a second bike.  Was thinking I would be doing a  full aggresive road bike to go with my hybrid but think I am going more for a touring/gravel bike.  Currently have a Jamis Coda with a few modifications (better wheels and tires) which I love as a great all-around bike but as my rides have gotten longer I want something for a longer haul.

The very expensive high-end road bikes are actually the easiest ones to get around me from the high-end bike shops that specials in those bikes ubt for what I am looking for it is still pretty slime pickings out there.  Current leaning towards this but a bit of custome build with a few better parts swapped in from a small local bike shop including upgraded drive train, clipless pedals, better wheels and tubeless tires  - https://www.fyxation.com/collections/quiver-x/products/quiver-x-1x11-sram-rival

Figure if I really like clipless ride I can go full Carbon high-end road bike in the future.  Of course this is getting to be an expensive hobby.  

Last edited by a moderator:
Have you checked out the Jamis Renegade.  I have a GB who swears by them. 
yup since I think Jamis makes a great bike for the money but some of the decision making goes into availablity.  Not a lot of good supply out there if you are my height and weight.  Pretty frustrating.  

yup since I think Jamis makes a great bike for the money but some of the decision making goes into availablity.  Not a lot of good supply out there if you are my height and weight.  Pretty frustrating.  
there are some XL Poseidon available to ship now.  I have the Redwood, but the X seems to be a nice budget option. 

2 hours ago, dawgtrails said:

Expand  
thanks.  I will definitely be asking at my bike shop about tubeless when I go there tonight. 
You need tubeless rims, right?  I would consider it myself, but don't think I want to buy two new rims + tubeless tires. That's probably more than I want to commit, and I am obsessed with avoiding flats.  For me, that means buying good rubber, maintaining proper tire pressure every ride, rim tape.

Dude, go tubeless. 

there are some XL Poseidon available to ship now.  I have the Redwood, but the X seems to be a nice budget option. 
My brother has the X, but went with the flat bar version. It seems like an okay bike, but I would go with the Redwood for the tubeless wheels and the ability to run wider tires

Added tire liners to my road bike probably 3 years ago and haven't had a flat since.   I run tubeless on the mountain bike b/c i like to run low pressure for greater traction which makes tubes susceptible to pinch flats. 

still waiting.....for the bike I ordered in Jan....that they said would be 4-6 weeks go get :kicksrock:

What's worse is I've been going to the various bike sites and they STILL have no stock in a lot of places.  This has been amazing to watch.

still waiting.....for the bike I ordered in Jan....that they said would be 4-6 weeks go get :kicksrock:

What's worse is I've been going to the various bike sites and they STILL have no stock in a lot of places.  This has been amazing to watch.
Its nuts that there's still this much demand.   Buddy is looking for a bike so I recommended the higher end stuff at BikesDirect.  All out of stock.  These are $3k bikes we're talking about so not just entry level stuff which I thought would be the bulk of the demand.  

I am really starting to think the bike manufacturers are being malicious with this just to move bikes on the hope that you’ll get your bike faster than other manufacturers can claim. Since the middle of last year I’ve been hearing on bike forums that bikes are being shipped months after the original expected ship date. My neighbor’s Santa Cruz mountain bike that was supposed to be here in February just arrived this week.

Hopefully you get your bike soon

I am really starting to think the bike manufacturers are being malicious with this just to move bikes on the hope that you’ll get your bike faster than other manufacturers can claim. Since the middle of last year I’ve been hearing on bike forums that bikes are being shipped months after the original expected ship date. My neighbor’s Santa Cruz mountain bike that was supposed to be here in February just arrived this week.

Hopefully you get your bike soon
If I find one elsewhere, I'm cancelling and just going and buying what I can get my hands on.  So far, no luck.  I've ordered a Giant and have been going to the various manufacturer sites a few times a week since Jan and there's just nothing in stock.  I'd drive an hour or two to get it.

If I find one elsewhere, I'm cancelling and just going and buying what I can get my hands on.  So far, no luck.  I've ordered a Giant and have been going to the various manufacturer sites a few times a week since Jan and there's just nothing in stock.  I'd drive an hour or two to get it.
No idea what your budget is, but there is a XL Specialized Sirrus X 2.0 and a Specialized Sirrus 3.0 supposedly available in Tampa.... I think XL was the size you were looking into, but my memory is terrible.

No idea what your budget is, but there is a XL Specialized Sirrus X 2.0 and a Specialized Sirrus 3.0 supposedly available in Tampa.... I think XL was the size you were looking into, but my memory is terrible.
Between $500 and $1000...could go a little more if it made sense.  If I'm not mistaken, YOU are the one that got me thinking about forks etc and after considering, I do think I want something with lockable forks to accommodate some of the trails my son will absolutely have me on at some point.  

Between $500 and $1000...could go a little more if it made sense.  If I'm not mistaken, YOU are the one that got me thinking about forks etc and after considering, I do think I want something with lockable forks to accommodate some of the trails my son will absolutely have me on at some point.  
Nope, I would tell you to go with a rigid fork unless you're doing serious trail riding.  I find that the cheap suspension forks don't do too much other than add weight and maintenance.  99% of gravel bikes are rigid and 99.9% of road bikes are rigid.  I would get the fork that is most suited for the majority of your riding and just deal with it if you occasionally do rougher trails.  

I consistently see people on rigid gravel bikes doing some pretty gnarly single track where I do most of my mountain biking.

Nope, I would tell you to go with a rigid fork unless you're doing serious trail riding.  I find that the cheap suspension forks don't do too much other than add weight and maintenance.  99% of gravel bikes are rigid and 99.9% of road bikes are rigid.  I would get the fork that is most suited for the majority of your riding and just deal with it if you occasionally do rougher trails.  

I consistently see people on rigid gravel bikes doing some pretty gnarly single track where I do most of my mountain biking.
Apologies GB :lmao:

It's been a minute since in this thread mostly because of my annoyance that I still don't have my bike. 

Its nuts that there's still this much demand.   Buddy is looking for a bike so I recommended the higher end stuff at BikesDirect.  All out of stock.  These are $3k bikes we're talking about so not just entry level stuff which I thought would be the bulk of the demand.  
In searching for a bike the only place I have found an easy selection is like $5K+  If the 3K bikes are very rarely in stock and if so they might have an oddsize like an XS available but not anything the majority of folks use.  Buying a bike is painful process right now.   

ETA - I live in Brooklyn where there is like a bike shop on every corner so feel like there are a lot of places to buy one near me.  

What bike did you end up with?
Giant Talon 1

ETA - Got really lucky to get it.  Went to bike store in April planning to get on a waitlist.  They were only selling what was coming in off the truck, so their list was long with claimed bikes.  This bike was exactly what I was looking at online as it fit my beginner needs and price point and they happened to have an unclaimed one coming in a week and a half later.  They either messed up or someone backed out of buying it.

Giant Talon 1
Nice.  I've gotten super hooked on mountain biking over the last 7 months.  Just did a 21 miles, 3,700 ft elevation gain ride in Santa Cruz last weekend.  Heading out to Tahoe next week and will be doing the 20+ mile downhill at Downieville in 3 weeks.

Have also been considering adding a full suspension bike to my arsenal, but am really enjoying the hardtail and wondering if I'd still ride it if I had a full suspension.

Nice.  I've gotten super hooked on mountain biking over the last 7 months.  Just did a 21 miles, 3,700 ft elevation gain ride in Santa Cruz last weekend.  Heading out to Tahoe next week and will be doing the 20+ mile downhill at Downieville in 3 weeks.

Have also been considering adding a full suspension bike to my arsenal, but am really enjoying the hardtail and wondering if I'd still ride it if I had a full suspension.
I'm hooked too.  I have bad knees that can't take the pounding to run or play sports with stop/start/side-to-side movements.  However, my knees feel great when I bike.  Still working on my skills, confidence and endurance, but I've gotten a lot better.

We have some really nice trails around us in Michigan, but doubt they're anything compared to what you have in Santa Cruz or Tahoe.  My typical ride elevation gain is around 600 ft.

I'm hooked too.  I have bad knees that can't take the pounding to run or play sports with stop/start/side-to-side movements.  However, my knees feel great when I bike.  Still working on my skills, confidence and endurance, but I've gotten a lot better.

We have some really nice trails around us in Michigan, but doubt they're anything compared to what you have in Santa Cruz or Tahoe.  My typical ride elevation gain is around 600 ft.
I'm the same way.  My knees cannot handle running, but feel perfectly fine on the bike.  

Santa Cruz and Tahoe aren't my normal riding locations, but they are fun/beautiful.  My typical rides are 1,200-1,500 feet of elevation gain and it never fails to totally kick my ###.

Where in Michigan?  I'm on the west side, hit me up if you have any questions about the trails there.

I just got back from a trip up to the UP to ride Marquette and Copper Harbor for the first time in 8 years.  Man, those are mean trails, but such fun.

Are used carbon road bikes still selling at a premium to bicycle blue book?  I've got a Kuota Kebel I purchased last year that I don't intend to use in the next few months.  Wouldn't mind ditching it if there's a premium to be had and buying something else when I've got time to ride again. 

Captain Cranks said:
Are used carbon road bikes still selling at a premium to bicycle blue book?  I've got a Kuota Kebel I purchased last year that I don't intend to use in the next few months.  Wouldn't mind ditching it if there's a premium to be had and buying something else when I've got time to ride again. 
Used bikes are still selling at a premium. 

Where in Michigan?  I'm on the west side, hit me up if you have any questions about the trails there.

I just got back from a trip up to the UP to ride Marquette and Copper Harbor for the first time in 8 years.  Man, those are mean trails, but such fun.
Thanks.  I'm in the Detroit area (northern suburbs).  Only rides have been on the local trails, which are pretty solid (mainly Stony Creek & Addison Oaks).  Need to branch out more and will probably ride DTE at some point soon as a guy I ride with is a big fan.

I was just watching some videos of Marquette that were posted on a Michigan MTB facebook page.  Those look like some incredible trails.  Guys in the video were going super fast downhill and hitting the jumps hard... I would be much more of a wuss.

Thanks.  I'm in the Detroit area (northern suburbs).  Only rides have been on the local trails, which are pretty solid (mainly Stony Creek & Addison Oaks).  Need to branch out more and will probably ride DTE at some point soon as a guy I ride with is a big fan.

I was just watching some videos of Marquette that were posted on a Michigan MTB facebook page.  Those look like some incredible trails.  Guys in the video were going super fast downhill and hitting the jumps hard... I would be much more of a wuss.
Yeah, we walked a couple of spots on the Flow trail.  I watched a video today and the GoPro operator walked the same crazy spot where there's a skinny bridge at the bottom of a very rocky descent.

I don't know if this will work for you, but here's a map I made a while back of the trails I want to hit on the east side.  I was trying to plan a 2- or 3-day trip to hit as many as possible, so I think there's a hotel on the map too.

My son has 4 races on the east side this year, so I'll at least ride these with him in pre-race warmups:

• Addison Oaks
  • Milford Trail (rode this with him last year)
  • Heritage Park
  • Bloomer Park

Tick said:
Yeah, we walked a couple of spots on the Flow trail.  I watched a video today and the GoPro operator walked the same crazy spot where there's a skinny bridge at the bottom of a very rocky descent.

I don't know if this will work for you, but here's a map I made a while back of the trails I want to hit on the east side.  I was trying to plan a 2- or 3-day trip to hit as many as possible, so I think there's a hotel on the map too.

My son has 4 races on the east side this year, so I'll at least ride these with him in pre-race warmups:

• Addison Oaks
  • Milford Trail (rode this with him last year)
  • Heritage Park
  • Bloomer Park
Thanks for the map.  Looks like you plotted out a great plan with all the essential trails.  You could try to add the DTE trails if you are in Pickney (it's just a little more south in Chelsea).

Always seems to be high school aged kids riding/practicing when I ride Addison Oaks.  They must be getting ready for those races.  Let me know when you will be in town.  Bloomer is actually closest to my house but I have not rode it yet (I've heard it's pretty intense in terms of climbs and some areas where it is high up with a good drop-off -- heights kind of freak me out).

no BMX talk?
I don't think so... I recently read though (most of) the thread and did see much if any. 

ETA: that said, there is a BMX track at the northern terminus of a local rail trail that I want to sneak on with my gravel bike ;)

Been doing longer and longer rides and was wondering if anyone had advice on a small portable pump and kit to change a tire tube?  One of these days I fear I will be stranded 20 miles from my home with a flat.  

Been doing longer and longer rides and was wondering if anyone had advice on a small portable pump and kit to change a tire tube?  One of these days I fear I will be stranded 20 miles from my home with a flat.  
I have this pump: link

and this patch kit: link

I also carry a spare tube on longer rides - I usually strap that to my seat posts.  The pump is mounted to my down tube - I actually used it the day after I got it to help someone else who got a flat and only had empty Co2 chargers with him.

I just got a cheap pump off of Amazon for like $10-15.  It works, but I can't really get my tires up the the psi I prefer.... but it gets me home.  My neighbor has an expensive portable pump that cost him $60 at the bike shop, and I don't find his to really work any better.  I find most patch kits to be the same.... so just pick one.  I always carry a spare tube so that I don't have to deal with patching a tube when I get a flat, but I will patch the tube when I get home.  I also carry the patch kit incase I get multiple flats on a ride.

Thanks, this is exactly what I am looking for.  Through in tube in a small bag and think I am fully covered.  Are the levers decent?  Sometime those can be crap.  
I just checked, and they're not bendy - I've had some flimsy versions before but these are solid.  The lever section is thin in both dimensions - skinny to get into the gap, but not as wide as I'm used to in the amount of the tire radius it grabs.  I don't know if that's a big deal or not.

I also noticed I have a duct tape strip on there to keep the nozzle with the rest of the kit - it's the component that doesn't nestle in like the rest.

On 7/7/2021 at 10:09 AM, Brony said:
On 7/7/2021 at 9:50 AM, dawgtrails said:

Expand  

Expand  
You need tubeless rims, right?  I would consider it myself, but don't think I want to buy two new rims + tubeless tires. That's probably more than I want to commit, and I am obsessed with avoiding flats.  For me, that means buying good rubber, maintaining proper tire pressure every ride, rim tape.
Nope.  You can seal the rim with gorilla tape.  Clean the hell out of the inside of the rim with denatured alcohol and run a single strip the entire circumference of the rim.  The tape should go edge to edge.  Cut a small slit for the valve stem to push through and you're good to go.

All of us run our mountain bikes this way with zero issues.

The only downside to tubeless is making sure you refresh the sealant every 3-4 months. https://www.nashbar.com/stans-no-tubes-sealant-injector-syringe-fits-presta-schrader-as0001/p-ruaet2wa2t2eyaa2 makes it super easy and mess free.

I carry a couple of CO2 cartridges and a spare tube.

I always carry a couple small CO2 cartridges, this inflator, a tire lever, a multitool, a small leatherman, a tire repair kit, a master link, a bike chain tool, and a spare tube. It all fits in a top tube bag - either one up front by the stem or one back by the seatpost (sometimes I run with both if I am bikepacking or out for a super long ride)

It all fits in a top tube bag - either one up front by the stem or one back by the seatpost (sometimes I run with both if I am bikepacking or out for a super long ride)
I have a top tube bag; I do not like it.  I just ordered a handle bar bag to replace it.  I'll still use the top tube bag at times, but I would prefer to to keep it on the bike. 

I have a top tube bag; I do not like it.  I just ordered a handle bar bag to replace it.  I'll still use the top tube bag at times, but I would prefer to to keep it on the bike. 
What one do you have? Why don't you like? I leave the one by my seatpost on there all the time and I don't even really notice it

Users who are viewing this thread