What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Pro Wrestling Thread*** (5 Viewers)

I also just looked it up, what about the new Japan cup?  Your American template for a two night super show might be the Crockett cup
Here, you're talking about tournaments which are a different animal than two nights of WM.

A closer example to what you're thinking of is RAW 25 double show. One half was at the Barclay's Center and the other at the Hammerstein Ballroom. Tickets for the Hammerstein half of the show went for big cash - nostalgia plus the fact they were presumably going to see some matches up close. What they got was a Hardy-Wyatt quasi-squash match while they watched most of the rest of the show in worse seats and on worse TV screens than they would have had they stayed home.

Also know this: VKM would charge WM prices for both shows, because carnies are going to carny. He might give you AJ-Nakamura on Saturday night, but the rest of the card would be the dregs of RAW and SML doing the same shtick as on their regular shows. With a lot of fans having the network, why buy tickets for Saturday night when you can watch the replay later? Plus, we're also dealing with many options for the wrestling fans' limited money. Am I going to spend TWICE for WMs, or am I going to do Saturday RoH, Sunday afternoon PWG and then Sunday night WM?  (Full disclosure: my ticket to an RoH house show in Pittsburgh next month cost $50 before Ticketmaster adds on their fees with top ticket going for $75.) If I can squeeze one or two more cards/meet and greet VIP opportunities for the price of a second WM ticket, I'm probably going to do it...doubly so if I look at the card and perceive it to be the second-hand version of the real thing.

Here, you're talking about tournaments which are a different animal than two nights of WM.

A closer example to what you're thinking of is RAW 25 double show. One half was at the Barclay's Center and the other at the Hammerstein Ballroom. Tickets for the Hammerstein half of the show went for big cash - nostalgia plus the fact they were presumably going to see some matches up close. What they got was a Hardy-Wyatt quasi-squash match while they watched most of the rest of the show in worse seats and on worse TV screens than they would have had they stayed home.

Also know this: VKM would charge WM prices for both shows, because carnies are going to carny. He might give you AJ-Nakamura on Saturday night, but the rest of the card would be the dregs of RAW and SML doing the same shtick as on their regular shows. With a lot of fans having the network, why buy tickets for Saturday night when you can watch the replay later? Plus, we're also dealing with many options for the wrestling fans' limited money. Am I going to spend TWICE for WMs, or am I going to do Saturday RoH, Sunday afternoon PWG and then Sunday night WM?  (Full disclosure: my ticket to an RoH house show in Pittsburgh next month cost $50 before Ticketmaster adds on their fees with top ticket going for $75.) If I can squeeze one or two more cards/meet and greet VIP opportunities for the price of a second WM ticket, I'm probably going to do it...doubly so if I look at the card and perceive it to be the second-hand version of the real thing.
I would foresee it being sold as a strip ticket, you’re buying both, and maybe hall of fame tix to the smaller venue. They’re trying to position it as a weekend thing now. 

I honestly think it’s a viable idea as two three hour shows is so much better than the 5-6 hours they’re doing now. 

Funny enough,  I could see VKM’e biggest problem with it being the “reveal” factor of the set being compromised as they’re so theatrically geared 

If I can sell one Wrestlemania ticket for 300 am I doing better or worse with two at 200-250?

the closest sports comp I can think of is the home run derby and all star game which both sell out and draw huge 

as for aj and nakamura; these newer guys don’t seem like boat rockers but the question is to headline one show vs Curtain jerk the other.  Why don’t they complain about being on smackdown instead of raw?

I also just looked it up, what about the new Japan cup?  Your American template for a two night super show might be the Crockett cup
Speaking of the New Japan Cup, that Naito/Sabre match was awesome. Their styles mesh perfectly. Easily the match of the weekend in my opinion.

Is there a less likable character than Shane McMahon right now? I was really hoping Owens and Zayn just beat the tar out of him after the match last night.

No talk about a WWE PPV last night? Not that I have much to say about it but:

I like Ruby Riott quite a bit. That was probably the best Charlotte match since she moved to Smackdown.

I was watching the show with friends, so I wasn't paying 100% attention, but man, Roode/Orton felt like it went 2 hours. Just the most boring filler match there was. 

Against all odds, I've actually started to like John Cena a little bit. Almost like him not winning all the time, makes him come off as a real person or something. I'm hoping his desperation to be on the Mania card, ends up with him trying to find tag partners to face Sheamus/Cesaro, because its his only chance to make the card. I'd certainly prefer that to anything involving Undertaker.

Just got back into wrestling this year. What's the point of this two roster nonsense? Smackdown is so bad but they have the best wrestler but no way am I watching a two hour show for aj styles. And what happens if Asuka beats Charlotte flair? Does she move to smackdown? That means another one of my favorite wrestlers moves to smackdown?

Last edited by a moderator:
travdogg said:
No talk about a WWE PPV last night? Not that I have much to say about it but:

I like Ruby Riott quite a bit. That was probably the best Charlotte match since she moved to Smackdown.

I was watching the show with friends, so I wasn't paying 100% attention, but man, Roode/Orton felt like it went 2 hours. Just the most boring filler match there was. 

Against all odds, I've actually started to like John Cena a little bit. Almost like him not winning all the time, makes him come off as a real person or something. I'm hoping his desperation to be on the Mania card, ends up with him trying to find tag partners to face Sheamus/Cesaro, because its his only chance to make the card. I'd certainly prefer that to anything involving Undertaker.
I like what they've been doing with Cena.  If it ends up him vs Taker at WM I'll yawn though.

Also like what they've done with Roman lately, as long as it doesn't devolve into "X-wrestler vs Vince" again.  The buildup to RR/Brock at least makes sense, and for RR to take the title at WM and become the face of WWE at least makes sense in the flow of this story, even though most won't like it.

Of course, this is from a guy who watches Raw 1-2x/month when his 13 year old son is allowed to turn it on by mom.

I like what they've been doing with Cena.  If it ends up him vs Taker at WM I'll yawn though.

Also like what they've done with Roman lately, as long as it doesn't devolve into "X-wrestler vs Vince" again.  The buildup to RR/Brock at least makes sense, and for RR to take the title at WM and become the face of WWE at least makes sense in the flow of this story, even though most won't like it.

Of course, this is from a guy who watches Raw 1-2x/month when his 13 year old son is allowed to turn it on by mom.
Huh.  Well Cena made me care.  I still think it is a silly thrown together match.  But he made me care.

I think they should tease Taker vs Cena for the next few weeks then have Braun come out and destroy Taker on Raw (beat down Cena too), putting the final nail in his coffin and letting him retire in peace.  Then set up Cena vs Strowman at Mania.  Why not have Taker put over Braun right before Mania?  Or maybe they'll have Braun do something like that at Mania.  

I don't want to see a burned out Undertaker and Cena match.  They will probably have Cena (a la S. Michaels/Flair) say "I'm sorry... I love you" or some nonsense as he does his finishing move and pinning Taker.  Don't care to see that.  

Naming the WM Woman's Battle Royal after Moolah isn't going to age well. If you don't want to give her the Hulk Hogan treatment, fine, but don't keep praising her and make her name relevant.
Naming anything after Moolah is horrible now. She's arguably the worst person who was ever in WWE as a human being. I'm she's looking up from hell smiling though. Maybe next year we can get a tournament with only Canadian wrestlers and call it the Chris Benoit classic. 

ETA: The more I think about this, the more awful it seems. I feel bad for Hulk Hogan. He's blackballed from the company he's like 25% responsible for building just because he said a bad word, that ultimately hurt nobody. But Warrior and Mae Young, 2 pretty awful people who did hurt others, are given awards and specials named after them. Now adding a legit garbage person like Moolah to the list, it really feels like 1 step forward, 10 steps back.

Naming anything after Moolah is horrible now. She's arguably the worst person who was ever in WWE as a human being. I'm she's looking up from hell smiling though. Maybe next year we can get a tournament with only Canadian wrestlers and call it the Chris Benoit classic. 

ETA: The more I think about this, the more awful it seems. I feel bad for Hulk Hogan. He's blackballed from the company he's like 25% responsible for building just because he said a bad word, that ultimately hurt nobody. But Warrior and Mae Young, 2 pretty awful people who did hurt others, are given awards and specials named after them. Now adding a legit garbage person like Moolah to the list, it really feels like 1 step forward, 10 steps back.
Yeah, I didn't get the Moolah love fest either. Most anyone watching with a basic knowledge of wrestling history is going to curl up their nose and say WTF?

But, WWE's gotta WWE, so they're going to try to boost their stats by showing they've been about women's wrestling since the 50's while ignoring the fact that Moolah rarely defended her title during a lot of that time. SMH.

re: Shane being slammed by KO last night to end the show.

My father punched me many, many times in the back area, while he was giving me a beating, (for various reasons)

A few of those times he hit me right in the spot I couldn't breath and I made the same sounds Shane O Mac was making.

It's still real to me damnit!

:lol:  Name now has been changed to WRESTLEMANIA battle royale minutes after one of their major sponsors indicated it was unacceptable.

Just funny seeing the 180 people like Stephanie McMahon have done regarding Moolah. Almost as funny as seeing her (a non-wrestler) stand up to Rousey.....and smack her with no immediate response from Rousey :lmao:  They've booked Rousey horribly. It's not believable. Completely goes against everything she is and has been in the past. After least for the first time in MANY MANY MANY years....someone got over eventually on Stephanie. She's been the most indestructible heel on the roster for the better part of a decade!! Just sad she honestly believes her-Rousey is comparable to Vince-Austin. Difference is Vince can talk, had no qualms about making himself look like a jackass to benefit others (and his company), and had a consistent character. Stephanie's character is bipolar (one week she's a mom figure to "women's revolution"....the next week she's castrating them to get herself over) :lol:  

:lol:  Name now has been changed to WRESTLEMANIA battle royale minutes after one of their major sponsors indicated it was unacceptable.

Just funny seeing the 180 people like Stephanie McMahon have done regarding Moolah. Almost as funny as seeing her (a non-wrestler) stand up to Rousey.....and smack her with no immediate response from Rousey :lmao:  They've booked Rousey horribly. It's not believable. Completely goes against everything she is and has been in the past. After least for the first time in MANY MANY MANY years....someone got over eventually on Stephanie. She's been the most indestructible heel on the roster for the better part of a decade!! Just sad she honestly believes her-Rousey is comparable to Vince-Austin. Difference is Vince can talk, had no qualms about making himself look like a jackass to benefit others (and his company), and had a consistent character. Stephanie's character is bipolar (one week she's a mom figure to "women's revolution"....the next week she's castrating them to get herself over) :lol:  
I'm sure all the change.org petitions changed their mind, too. :lol:

I guess another story about Moolah is out and - SURPRISE! - it's not flattering either:

In addition to the fallout, another particularly damning Moolah story has surfaced that had previously been overlooked. It was already somewhat well-known that Moolah’s daughter, Mary Carroll, wrestled on and off as Pat Sherry and sometimes Ruth Ryan, but it wasn’t usually part of the Moolah narrative. Newspaper clippings showing that Moolah had once been charged with neglect of Carroll started circulating on Twitter, which added a more sinister element to her absence from Moolah’s story.

The most complete version, at least on Newspapers.com, comes from the coverage in Dan Parker’s sports column in the November 30, 1956 issue of New Jersey’s Camden Courier-Post, which cites a Boston American article from six days earlier. According to the article and the wire reports, Carroll, then 15, went to the Somerville, Massachusetts police armed with letters from two doctors saying that she shouldn’t wrestle again after an appendectomy three months earlier. Still, she said, she was forced to wrestle while recovering, and was not being being paid by her mother for her work or otherwise being supported by her during the three months after her surgery. Carroll did not want to be returned to her mother and stepfather, the latter of whom was then-wrestler and future country music manager/promoter Joseph “Buddy Lee” Pino.
Just how hot is her cell in hell?

Former RoH star Taeler Hendrix is auctioning off her ring outfit she wore to her TNA Gut Check match a few years back.

Can someone explain to me why anybody would want a wrestler's used ring gear like clothing?

Tom Servo said:
Vince needs to get out of the way and let this gimmick run free. 
I have to admit ( :bag: ) I didn't follow the Broken Hardy gimmick when it originally started--is there a synopsis somewhere when this started--like the first day he did this?

Tom Servo said:
Vince needs to get out of the way and let this gimmick run free. 
The whole thing up to now has been so poor. (Do we just forget Bray completely squashed Hardy on Raw 25?). I don't watch this #### week to week anymore aside some YouTube clips here and there but just funny they expect people to forget stuff like this. There's no continuity or build to much of anything anymore.

Hardy stuff in TNA was the best stuff they had going for it (which probably wasn't saying a lot at that point). But it was definitely better than wwe has presented as Hardy  was given creative freedom. If Matt Hardy isn't given creative freedom there isn't reason to really have him as his in ring stuff has fallen off a lot. To answer question above, I'm sure you can find Hardy's prior stuff on impact wrestling YouTube. 

The whole thing up to now has been so poor. (Do we just forget Bray completely squashed Hardy on Raw 25?). I don't watch this #### week to week anymore aside some YouTube clips here and there but just funny they expect people to forget stuff like this. There's no continuity or build to much of anything anymore.

Hardy stuff in TNA was the best stuff they had going for it (which probably wasn't saying a lot at that point). But it was definitely better than wwe has presented as Hardy  was given creative freedom. If Matt Hardy isn't given creative freedom there isn't reason to really have him as his in ring stuff has fallen off a lot. To answer question above, I'm sure you can find Hardy's prior stuff on impact wrestling YouTube. 
I'll say I have a bit of optimism as I've seen what they are doing on YouTube exclusives like https://youtu.be/Ub4ecgzmQZE

But this is what the whole Bray-Matt feud should have been built in the first place! Not jammed into a week between announcing the Ultimate Deletion and the Raw it will air on.

Users who are viewing this thread