What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Pro Wrestling Thread*** (13 Viewers)

Bruno Sammartino has passed away this morning.

RIP
Bruno is indirectly responsible for where I am today. Growing up in Pittsburgh, he was my father’s hero, and sparked my dad’s passion for the business that he passed on to me.

I was lucky enough to spend some time with Bruno, and the man exemplified class. #RIPBruno

— Corey Graves (@WWEGraves) April 18, 2018
Pittsburgh Mayor Bill Peduto issued the following statement:

“Bruno Sammartino was one of the greatest ambassadors the city of Pittsburgh ever had. Like so many of us, his immigrant family moved here to build a new life, and through his uncommon strength and surprising grace he embodied the spirit of Pittsburgh on the world stage. 

Some of the fondest memories of my childhood are of sitting in the basement with my grandfather on Saturday mornings and watching Bruno wrestle. They both came from the same part of Italy, and when my grandfather – who was five-foot-eight – would watch Bruno wrestle he became six-feet-ten. 

I consider it a great personal honor that Bruno and I later became friends. 

I join all other Pittsburgh residents in saying ‘Thank you, Bruno’ and we will miss you.” 
:cry: :cry: :cry:  

RIP Bruno. I always loved the beef he had with Stone Cold in his later years. Interesting seeing two total different generations defend their work in the ring.

Last edited by a moderator:
Champion for 2,803 consecutive days, seven and a half years. (Not to mention a 3+ year reign later on). Fans would lose their collective mind if you let someone be champ that long today. Different time, different storytelling.

So raw is unwatchable now. Except for Rousey and Strowman I have little interest in anyone. Unreal. They're gonna cram all these guys into 2 hour show? I can't believe they moved Asuka and bar

The biggest thing with that list that stood out to me, was the lack of talent (or maybe established talent) on the NXT Women's side. You have Bazler as the champ, and then I would go Sane, Cross, LaRae (maybe?) as legit challengers, everyone else as fodder.
I noticed that too. I wonder if they're planning on bringing in some more talent. Chiefly, I'm thinking of Tessa Blanchard, who is obviously third generation wrestler (note the stars on her boots) and girlfriend of Riccochet.

I noticed that too. I wonder if they're planning on bringing in some more talent. Chiefly, I'm thinking of Tessa Blanchard, who is obviously third generation wrestler (note the stars on her boots) and girlfriend of Riccochet.
Tessa is my absolute favorite (outside of Alexa Bliss) woman wrestler right now. Rick O'Shay is a very lucky man. Her Twitter/Instagram feed is a treat. It makes sense with her relationship and she has pretty much done all you can on the indies. I'm guessing the upcoming Mae Young Classic part 2, Electric Boogaloo would be a great place to have her show up.

Why didn't cross come up with sanity?
My guess is to build up Baszler.

I hope she gets called up after that as a part of the group. Running in for a save while SAnitY is getting the boots put to them would be a huge pop.

It really is a shame she isn't in the inaugural main roster version. She is the best member of that group for what it is.

Tom Servo said:
This is bull c rap - Andre being jobbed out to the Ultimate Warrior on house shows.  :thumbdown:
That was after WM3 when Andre was barely able to move, and you could tell.  He just stood there for a while, then held on to the ropes for the first part of the beating.  Then he stumbled to the middle of the ring and quickly went down.  He had no business being in the ring, but he wanted to be there, and I think Vince had a hard time saying no to him.

Jayrok said:
They need to have a 5 year feud with Liv Morgan and Alexa Bliss.  I'd watch each and every match, pin attempt, small package, back-arching maneuver... All things those two.. all day.  
:tebow:

That was after WM3 when Andre was barely able to move, and you could tell.  He just stood there for a while, then held on to the ropes for the first part of the beating.  Then he stumbled to the middle of the ring and quickly went down.  He had no business being in the ring, but he wanted to be there, and I think Vince had a hard time saying no to him.
I think that was the fall of 1989, after Warrior had won the I-C belt back from Rick Rude and the two feuded.  Plus, they were trying to build the Warrior up for his world title match with Hogan (at next year's WM).  Props to Andre for allowing himself to be beaten like that that fast.  That was a house match, though. They did have a title match on SNME that fall that Andre dominated much of, but Warrior eventually won by DQ. 

How's he smart? He's just covering his ###. I don't know how much of wrestling fans you guys are here in terms of overall like backstage news, the Indies, other promotions like IWC, NJW,ROH etc but Cena on TV and what the WWE portrays isn't the same in real life. John Cena went through a messy divorce I want to say back in 2012. His wife found out from one of the diva's that Cena had been cheating on her with other women since they were together and before they were married. One of the Diva's was apparently Mickie James. Rumor is that Mickie's big WWE push came at the time she was involved with Cena. At the time they broke up Mickie's push faltered and she was eventually phased out of many of WWE's plans. Back then Mickie perhaps other then Beth Phoenix was the best Diva's wrestlers on the roster in terms of in ring ability and not just some eye candy many were back then. There were also rumors of Cena having affairs with other women as well in the back. Anyway the divorce was messy and Cena's wife took him to town in terms of money gotten and other assets and property. I think Wrestling Inc or one of the dirt websites interviewed a lawyer and the lawyer said whoever her lawyer was deserves a dam raise from his practice. He was shocked how much she got overall but said do to legal perimeters and how her lawyer argued on her behalf the judge felt it more then reasonable for her to claim that much. Also another rumor is do to Total Bella's starting again that the split with Nikki would be apparently part of this coming season and there would be leaks about their break up so they announced it now. Possible stayed together and broke up in January when filming ended but they wanted to keep them together not to spoil anything on the show. Theres also rumors that Cena is back to messing around with Mickie James who if you don't know has a baby girl and is married to Nick Aldis AKA MAGNUS from former TNA 

To add onto Cena he's apparently a big Vince Kiss ### getting people fired for talking poorly or calling people out. Carlito and a few other wrestlers like Kenny Dykstra have said Cena has played a part in their firing as well. Overall the dude the WWE wants everyone to like is a total fraud. Hey I get that most of these men and women probably have low morals to begin with but this is why a lot of "smart" Wrestling fans never liked Cena. I give him props for being so loyal to the WWE and he's one of the best today cutting a promo. However I find it funny and other wrestlers in the back joked about this that He's basically taking the same path that Dwayne The Rock Johnson took from WWE. Cena is apparently not big friends with Rock and Cena has accused him on not being loyal to WWE and turning his back for Hollywood. Some of the guys in the back during Rock/Cena 2 were joking how Cena in a few yrs will become exactly what he hates about Rock. Only showing up when he's not filming a TV show, movie commercial and working part time. Look Cena's done a lot for WWE and deserves a lighter schedule for sure. However the dude is a hypocrite

Also if anyone is a big wrestling fan and want a post show to watch I know a podcast maybe some would enjoy. Its for mature audiences and some of the talk is Howard Sternish but the guy who does it actually trained to be a wrestler and left after concussion issues. He does commentary work up in the New England area and has a few WWE sources. Knows Road Dogg, use to do a podcast with Kenny Bolin, lives on the same street as Matt Taven of the Kingdom and knows Mike and Maria Bennet. He's also really cool friends with Matt Hardy. He's a great listen and if you are looking for someone who doesn't kiss the WWE's ### and you want some real talk he's great. 

How's he smart? He's just covering his ###. I don't know how much of wrestling fans you guys are here in terms of overall like backstage news, the Indies, other promotions like IWC, NJW, ROH etc but Cena on TV and what the WWE portrays isn't the same in real life. John Cena went through a messy divorce I want to say back in 2012. His wife found out from one of the diva's that Cena had been cheating on her with other women since they were together and before they were married. 
You'll find that I'm pretty much all RoH/NJPW/wrestling history in this thread with occasional WWE posts.

However, we all knew that Cena was doing all of that. The irritation for me comes from the fact that at last year's WM the possibility of a decent match was possible with Miz and Cena alone. There was no need to make this a mixed tag match other than to set up for that "WM moment" :rolleyes:  where he proposes to her. To see Miz - a great worker and great on the stick - get jobbed out for that cheesy scene is :yucky:  

Cena has the power in that locker room; he could've nixed this idea right in the bud had he so chose. Since he believes he can't be faithful, why make the commitment? IMO, he used it as just another attention-grabbing moment to feed his ego.

And people still wonder why fans chant "JOHN CENA SUCKS!" to his theme song...besides the fact that it fits perfectly with the rhythm of the song.

Tom Servo said:
This is bull c rap - Andre being jobbed out to the Ultimate Warrior on house shows.  :thumbdown:
I think you forget how much the Warrior was being groomed to take the place of Hulk Hogan.  The Andre feud was directly prior to running the Royal Rumble angle that got the Hogan/Warrior program started for Wrestlemania VI.

I think you forget how much the Warrior was being groomed to take the place of Hulk Hogan.  The Andre feud was directly prior to running the Royal Rumble angle that got the Hogan/Warrior program started for Wrestlemania VI.
Nah, I remember that. It was terrible seeing Andre in those later years of his career, especially when he and Haku were tag champs and Haku had to do all the work.

Tessa is my absolute favorite (outside of Alexa Bliss) woman wrestler right now. Rick O'Shay is a very lucky man. Her Twitter/Instagram feed is a treat. It makes sense with her relationship and she has pretty much done all you can on the indies. I'm guessing the upcoming Mae Young Classic part 2, Electric Boogaloo would be a great place to have her show up.
Oh, I follow her on both; her workouts are awesome.

And, she debuts on Impact this weekend. :mellow:  

I need an AJ Gray shirt.
Found one

This was a fun show; I really ought to pay more attention to Nashville's indie wrestling.

One-year anniversary saw the aforementioned AJ Gray in a killer match before first intermission, an eight-way scramble with most of the local favorites (or so I took it) and a three-way dance of "the eye poke gods" that featured Ethan Page (has done PWG and is signed with Impact as Chandler Park) and this young guy Maxwell Jacob Friedman.

MJF is a lights out heel, total natural. Apparently he was coming into this show hot off winning the CZW heavyweight title! Bright future for him that I can see, just 22.

There is a women's tournament coming in May. 1 day, 2 shows, 16 women. I don't know any of them but 1)I should change that and 2) I best be going and supporting the scene.

You'll find that I'm pretty much all RoH/NJPW/wrestling history in this thread with occasional WWE posts.

However, we all knew that Cena was doing all of that. The irritation for me comes from the fact that at last year's WM the possibility of a decent match was possible with Miz and Cena alone. There was no need to make this a mixed tag match other than to set up for that "WM moment" :rolleyes:  where he proposes to her. To see Miz - a great worker and great on the stick - get jobbed out for that cheesy scene is :yucky:  

Cena has the power in that locker room; he could've nixed this idea right in the bud had he so chose. Since he believes he can't be faithful, why make the commitment? IMO, he used it as just another attention-grabbing moment to feed his ego.

And people still wonder why fans chant "JOHN CENA SUCKS!" to his theme song...besides the fact that it fits perfectly with the rhythm of the song.
Yeah I live in Philly and know people who use to go to the 2300 Arena for ECW religiously. I've talked to them and a lot of people have said Cena wouldn't have lasted long with his BS with ECW. The sad thing about CM Punk's Pipe bomb a few yrs ago is it's dam true. Also one of the reason Nikki Bella held the Divas title for so long was Cena nixed an idea of her losing it. Another theory is WWE wanted to take AJ Lee's name off the record book for longest reign do to her relationship with Punk. 

Tom Servo said:
Joey Janela and Chelsea Green/Hot Mess Laurel Van Ness have been booked for All In. 
This card continues to grow, and it's really exciting to see. Selling 10,000 tickets is not going to be an issue. I'm really intrigued by not so much what happens at the event (I don't think they get CM Punk or someone like Del Rio to headline), but what happens after.

Do Cody and the Bucks decide they can do ROH better than ROH? Do they partner more closely with New Japan before ROH can? Do they try and do this yearly? Quarterly? I could see Cody wanting to be a booker like his Dad was, and clearly the Bucks are interested in producing and directing content. The ultimate DIY promotion. 

How's he smart? He's just covering his ###. John Cena went through a messy divorce I want to say back in 2012. His wife found out from one of the diva's that Cena had been cheating on her with other women since they were together and before they were married. 
Already divorced where he lost a lot of money... He is lucky to get out of the wedding with Nikki, where since he likes the women, he'll likely do it again and end up losing more money... or maybe something worse.  He likes the women, so what?  He isn't marriage material at this stage of his life.  Again, so what?  Best thing for him to do is enjoy his life.  Make his cheesy movies, wrestle now and then.  He should run as far from Nikki as he can get.  Why get bogged down in a marriage when you're always traveling and have the means to do what you want, when you want?  There will be time to settle down later when he finds someone he actually falls in love with.  

I say run and keep running.  He should be trying to get up with Mandy Rose or Cathy Kelley, or Peyton Royce and her sweet cheeks.  .  

Shinsuke is a lot better as a heel.  Sinister vibes.  

But AJ Styles... why not just wear a cup when you confront Shinsuke?  The low blows are getting silly.  Fool me once, shame on you.. fool me twice, shame on me... fool me thrice, I'm an idiot.  

The Charlotte spot last night was good.  Made me chuckle when she dumped the table on Carmela and calmly walked up ramp.

Shelton Benjamin... he seems lost in the shuffle.  Always thought he was a decent worker but just never had an angle that would work for him.  

The crowd has been yelling "WHAT?" for 20 years.  As lame as it is, it just doesn't seem to be going away, no matter how they try to ignore it.  Someone needs to embrace it and go with it.  Could be the start of some good schtick.  Someone like Benjamin should come out and demand a rematch or something and when they say "WHAT?", he should go with it.  "I SAID.. I DEMAND A REMATCH."  "WHAT?" ...  "A REMATCH!"..  "WHAT?"...  "A REMA... STOP IT!!!.. YOU DON'T TREAT ME LIKE THIS!"  "WHAT?"... "Come down here and say that to my face."  "WHAT?"... "Say what one more time.. say it."  "WHAT?"  Then have him go berserk and beat up whoever is in the ring or ring side.  

Couldn't hurt.. might be the start of something he or someone could get going with every crowd.  It sure would beat the silence that many of them get when they come out there.  Anything would be better than that.  Kurt embraced the "YOU SUCK" chant with is music.  

The crowd has been yelling "WHAT?" for 20 years.  As lame as it is, it just doesn't seem to be going away, no matter how they try to ignore it.  Someone needs to embrace it and go with it.  Could be the start of some good schtick.  Someone like Benjamin should come out and demand a rematch or something and when they say "WHAT?", he should go with it.  "I SAID.. I DEMAND A REMATCH."  "WHAT?" ...  "A REMATCH!"..  "WHAT?"...  "A REMA... STOP IT!!!.. YOU DON'T TREAT ME LIKE THIS!"  "WHAT?"... "Come down here and say that to my face."  "WHAT?"... "Say what one more time.. say it."  "WHAT?"  Then have him go berserk and beat up whoever is in the ring or ring side.  
Stone Cold used to do something like this and then it changed into repeating himself which then turned into the normal embracing where he would pause to hear it and pick back up in his promo.  He was the best I've seen work with the "WHAT" chants.  It wouldn't be bad to see again, but I could see where it would get old quickly.

Users who are viewing this thread