Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Dion Lewis

ex-ghost

8 hours ago, [icon] said:

IMO He will sign for 3yrs/$15MM with $7-8 guaranteed. 

Not too far off but I’ll take the under and call it 3/12-13.5. Just can’t see a team paying an off injured soon to be 28 YO $5M per for 3 years.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Saboo said:

Dion Lewis is a very good football player when he is healthy. The problem is that Lewis is rarely healthy. The Patriots were so scared of him getting hurt they kept him in bubble wrap half of the season last year.

Lewis is an excellent player and by most accounts a good guy. I hope he gets paid somewhere, but I just can’t justify giving a player a ton of money when he physically can’t be counted on.

I just hope he gets some nice guaranteed money. 

• Like 2

Mike Florio of ProFootballTalk on NBC Sports reports free agent Dion Lewis is drawing interest from eight teams.

Those teams include the 49ers, Colts, Dolphins, Giants, Jets, Patriots, Texans and Titans. With Le'Veon Bell locked into the franchise tag, Lewis should be the top back available in this year's free agent class. Early projections suggest Lewis could land a three-year deal in the neighborhood of $18 million.

Source: ProFootballTalk on NBC Sports 

Mar 13 - 1:49 PM

30 minutes ago, Faust said:

If the money is equivalent, I'm guessing he would lean towards the 49ers or Colts where he wouldn't have to split time as much as he would have to do with the other teams listed.

Edited by zamboni

6 minutes ago, zamboni said:

If the money is equivalent, I'm guessing he would lean towards the 49ers or Colts where he wouldn't have to split time as much as he would have to do with the other teams listed.

Lewis probably is not cut out to be an every down, bell cow back. If he gets signed to be a regular 20 carry, 5 reception back he is going to get banged up again. Across his career, he's had 20 carries only twice and more than 15 carries only 2 other times in 60 career games.

4 hours ago, Anarchy99 said:

Lewis probably is not cut out to be an every down, bell cow back. If he gets signed to be a regular 20 carry, 5 reception back he is going to get banged up again. Across his career, he's had 20 carries only twice and more than 15 carries only 2 other times in 60 career games.

counterpoint: he got almost 200 touches the last 10 games of the season and didn't break down...

1 hour ago, strong said:

counterpoint: he got almost 200 touches the last 10 games of the season and didn't break down...

Countercounterpoint: He has been in the league since 2011 and played in only 54 out of 112 regular season games during that time including 7 in 2016 and 7 in 2015. The 200 touches he had last year are about equal to all his 2011-2016 touches combined. Phenomenal talent and I wish him the best but I agree with Anarchy that he is not built or cut out to be every down back. IMHO, if he goes to a team like Ten (as rumored) it would be perfect for him.  

Edited by NE_REVIVAL

3 hours ago, NE_REVIVAL said:

Countercounterpoint: He has been in the league since 2011 and played in only 54 out of 112 regular season games during that time including 7 in 2016 and 7 in 2015. The 200 touches he had last year are about equal to all his 2011-2016 touches combined. Phenomenal talent and I wish him the best but I agree with Anarchy that he is not built or cut out to be every down back. IMHO, if he goes to a team like Ten (as rumored) it would be perfect for him.  

countercountercounterpoint: he just had a heavy workload for the second half of the season and didn't show any signs of slowing down. just spitballing, but i'd bet there were only maybe 6, 7 RBs who had more touches than him the second half of the season.

you can be skeptical he'd hold up over multiple seasons--he hasn't always in the past. but it's okay to change your mind on a player when he does something you haven't seen him do before.

Not the best location fantasy-wise - SF or Indy seemed better - but perhaps the money from his suitors was relatively consistent and the Titans offered the most. Guessing that no team was indeed going to make him a workhorse.

All that said, I think he’ll be getting the ball a lot more than we think or he wouldn’t have signed here and made one of the top 10 highest paid RBs. There is a new coaching regime - with ties to the Patriots organization - in town who may have their own ideas of how to use their RBs.

Edited by zamboni
  • Like 1

Well, this is disappointing. I stand in the camp that thinks it is ridiculous - borderline asinine - to say his past injuries indicate he can't hold up under a load. We're talking about a broken bone and an ACL over the course of 5 seasons. The ACL was non-contact fwiw. If he was a guy who was always spraining ankles, shoulders, and cracking ribs then sure, I get it - those injuries indicate his body isn't durable. But just saying he's missed time therefore can't hold up is amazingly shortsighted. As for Anarchy's point - I respectfully point out that just because teams haven't given him a lot of touches doesn't mean he can't handle them. The ONLY thing that means is that teams haven't given him a lot of touches. It is indicative of nothing else.

That being said, he made the right move. If someone was going to pay you more to do less, you should take it. He's got a ring and he's not trying to set any records. Make sure you can retire nicely in a few years. Even better if you can still walk because you didn't handle a full workload your last 4 years in the league. 

As for fantasy purposes, zamboni is right - we don't know how the staff plans to use him, but having Henry there will scare most people away (I think Henry's probably good, but outside of two long touchdowns when he was supposed to be icing the clock, he hasn't done much). Maybe Dion and Henry can have a Woodhead/Mathews type of usage where Dion could be propped up in PPR formats. It'll be interesting to see, but not as interesting as if he was the primary carrier for SF or Indy. One thing we know for sure is that he'll be much cheaper to acquire in all formats than if he was set to be the primary back. 

7 hours ago, strong said:

countercountercounterpoint: he just had a heavy workload for the second half of the season and didn't show any signs of slowing down. just spitballing, but i'd bet there were only maybe 6, 7 RBs who had more touches than him the second half of the season.

you can be skeptical he'd hold up over multiple seasons--he hasn't always in the past. but it's okay to change your mind on a player when he does something you haven't seen him do before.

Its all good, reasonable minds can disagree. I love the guy and hope he smashes for years to come, but he is small and yes I am skeptical he could have held up to workhorse load and fortunately he is going somewhere where he won't have to.  

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, FF Ninja said:

Well, this is disappointing. I stand in the camp that thinks it is ridiculous - borderline asinine - to say his past injuries indicate he can't hold up under a load. We're talking about a broken bone and an ACL over the course of 5 seasons.

...especially when the broken leg occurred in the preseason - how can that be considered workload related.

I always bring up "Fragile" Fred Taylor in these "injury prone" conversations. Sometimes guys are "injury prone" until they aren't.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Dr. Octopus said:

...especially when the broken leg occurred in the preseason - how can that be considered workload related.

I always bring up "Fragile" Fred Taylor in these "injury prone" conversations. Sometimes guys are "injury prone" until they aren't.

I love Dion, but wouldn't want to be the GM putting guaranteed money on this...

Just now, Pwingles said:

The injury prone narrative for this guy is crazy, i dont get it

It seems pretty lazy, but to be fair, I see "injury prone" and "can't handle a high workload" as two different issues. Some guys just get hurt a lot, even without contact. And some guys jst can't handle contact. To me Lewis gets a bum rap on both issues. He had complications on both of his injuries which caused him to miss a whole season after the first one and he missed half a season of the season following his second one. So he's missed a lot of games which leads to a lazy "injury prone" label. But he also gets dinged because he came into the league as a 5th round pick and didn't immediately get a large workload to prove his ability, then he signs on with a team intent on utilizing a RBBC which prevents him from ever having the opportunity to have a high workload... but wait, he did carry the team for half a season... however, that's not good enough for the nay-sayers.

It's all moot now, though. He just got paid to be in another RBBC. Smart financial and health move, but a little disappointing for fantasy purposes. Good luck to him, though. He's fun to watch in any role.

6 minutes ago, Dr. Octopus said:

And I always like to bring up Warrick Dunn when people say small guys just can't handle a load. I know anecdotal evidence is pretty weak, but not any weaker than the arguments against smaller RBs. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, FF Ninja said:

It seems pretty lazy, but to be fair, I see "injury prone" and "can't handle a high workload" as two different issues. Some guys just get hurt a lot, even without contact. And some guys jst can't handle contact. To me Lewis gets a bum rap on both issues. He had complications on both of his injuries which caused him to miss a whole season after the first one and he missed half a season of the season following his second one. So he's missed a lot of games which leads to a lazy "injury prone" label. But he also gets dinged because he came into the league as a 5th round pick and didn't immediately get a large workload to prove his ability, then he signs on with a team intent on utilizing a RBBC which prevents him from ever having the opportunity to have a high workload... but wait, he did carry the team for half a season... however, that's not good enough for the nay-sayers.

It's all moot now, though. He just got paid to be in another RBBC. Smart financial and health move, but a little disappointing for fantasy purposes. Good luck to him, though. He's fun to watch in any role.

And I always like to bring up Warrick Dunn when people say small guys just can't handle a load. I know anecdotal evidence is pretty weak, but not any weaker than the arguments against smaller RBs. 

Its maybe the laziest label of for any player.

The guy has literally been hurt 1 time since he was on the scene as far as most fantasy owners are concerned. A common injury, at that. All the sudden he is Sam Jacksons character from Unbreakable? craziness

• Like 1

Believing small backs with significant inj histories are not ideally suited for workhorse duty does not equal believing they r made of glass. Can someone on the cal ripken side comment on SB 51 when White set the record for recs with 14 and Lewis had just 1. Is the reason for the disparity due to White being better or Lewis being hurt?

Just now, NE_REVIVAL said:

Believing small backs with significant inj histories are not ideally suited for workhorse duty does not equal believing they r made of glass. Can someone on the cal ripken side comment on SB 51 when White set the record for recs with 14 and Lewis had just 1. Is the reason for the disparity due to White being better or Lewis being hurt?

His significant injury "history" is a broken leg (fluke injury in preseason) and a torn ACL (which many players have suffered and is usually non-contact). Can you explain how those injuries are workload related?

As to the Super Bowl question, can anyone explain the moves Belichick makes? Generally they work out fine, so I'm not sure we should have to.

1 minute ago, Dr. Octopus said:

His significant injury "history" is a broken leg (fluke injury in preseason) and a torn ACL (which many players have suffered and is usually non-contact). Can you explain how those injuries are workload related?

As to the Super Bowl question, can anyone explain the moves Belichick makes? Generally they work out fine, so I'm not sure we should have to.

His significant inj history involves 3 operations and I never claimed his injuries were workload related.

2 minutes ago, NE_REVIVAL said:

His significant inj history involves 3 operations and I never claimed his injuries were workload related.

Honestly it doesn't even really matter since he's not going to see a significant workload anyway with Henry around but I think the second half of last season showed he's fully capable of handling a full workload.

3 minutes ago, Dr. Octopus said:

"are not ideally suited for workhorse duty"

C'mon, saying "Believing small backs with significant inj histories are not ideally suited for workhorse duty" isn't the same as claiming his injuries were workload related but lets not quible. 

I agree the 2nd half of last season showed he can handle a full workload but color me somewhat skeptical regarding long term workhorse suitability given his size and inj history. And yes it is pretty much moot since he went to an ideal situation for him. 

On 3/14/2018 at 10:38 AM, Dr. Octopus said:

Honestly it doesn't even really matter since he's not going to see a significant workload anyway with Henry around but I think the second half of last season showed he's fully capable of handling a full workload.

They're not paying him that much money to be a water boy.

Edited by Tool

Just now, Tool said:

I guess it depends how you define significant but they're not paying him that much money to be a water boy.

No I just meant that he’d have a back like Henry taking carries as well. I’d expect him to be the lead in the committee.

• 1 month later...

Kind of hard to follow this but is it fair to say that this is good news for Henry? He is going to be the primary back and Lewis will be used as a change up but a change up in any situation?  To me, this summary of interview made it sound like they think Henry is special and plan to use him a lot.

2 hours ago, az_prof said:

Kind of hard to follow this but is it fair to say that this is good news for Henry? He is going to be the primary back and Lewis will be used as a change up but a change up in any situation?  To me, this summary of interview made it sound like they think Henry is special and plan to use him a lot.

Sorry, it wasn't the best interview so I tried to explain things to clarify. Guess I fumbled there.

Yes, re Henry.

Planning on three UDFAs is awfully risky but they were fortunate to land three special UDFA RBs. For us, we can see they have a clear physical limitation (thin) and particular skill set, so in May, we are beginning to learn of roles.

I think they take some value away from Lewis. 

I also would have to guess the plan fails. Suppose all three don't have "it," then the Titans will probably add a RB and Lewis will have won the third down role by the time camp is over. I think his value for FF is directly tied to how this rookie minicamp goes and if one of these three can hack it.

The key to keeping Lewis healthy seems to be to use him as a homerun hitter and not an every down back. I can definitely see the logic in that and how useful it would be, but putting #s on it will be extremely difficult. 

Ferguson and Falk will be the QBs for rookie camp. They appear to not have any traditional WRs nor traditional backs for it. All the WRs are slot- short, quick, fast types. They've said they're instilling key components and "not holding back" on the rookies. The team is deep now and they'll have to learn and be able to jump in if they're going to make it. Vrabel's spoken of moving quickly and expecting the rookies to leave overwhelmed, study, and possibly return with an advantage over the veterans with all the knowledge they took in. I think this means the Titans feel there is room for another slot WR and the rookie WR that shines there could be a keeper. 

It's a bit odd to imagine only plays to the slot and some scat back but that seems to be their focus. Despite being odd, I find it honest and I like it. In previous years, they'd have Wadley running common plays as if some tiny thin RB can tote the rock like big Henry. 

5 hours ago, matuski said:

The only way to interpret this is from the perspective of an OC that either doesnt have a clear plan yet, or is trolling the host.  Those answers are a mess?

I deleted the post. I already apologized for it. I tried to summarize and quote and didn't do it well. Most people aren't aware of the UDFAs they signed or this n that so ...well, as I said, I messed it up

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Bri said:

I deleted the post. I already apologized for it. I tried to summarize and quote and didn't do it well. Most people aren't aware of the UDFAs they signed or this n that so ...well, as I said, I messed it up

It was, at the very least, a valiant effort! I appreciate the attempted transcription. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Stompin' Tom Connors said:

How do people see the difference/overlap in skillset between Lewis and Henry, and how do you think the backfield carries will be split, overall and situationally?

Now we have to wait until rookie minicamp is over (and hope they tell us!) to see if one of the UDFA RBs seems good enough for the role. Since I don't expect them to tell us, we'll probably have to watch all summer and gauge how those three are doing. 

If none of them makes it, Lewis will have a considerable role and be useful in PPR.

If one of them makes it, it will be toned down some and we'll do that FF routine where we hope he "hits a home run" each week. 

With a UDFA RB- no chance he gets 8 catches or 100 yards unless it's some long broken play. Probably a guarantee for 3-4 catches and 30-40 yards though

Without a UDFA RB- if Henry is getting stuffed, he could have a zillion catches. If Henry is not running well, he could get many carries. 

While bad for FF, it will be good for the team and Dion's health, if he can be a get'r done type guy that comes in.

As I said in other threads, they're well aware of Kevin Faulk and how Belichick has appreciated the third-down backs over the years. They seem to view him as that guy PLUS the ability to fill in for Henry. 

If you haven't watched any of the three UDFA RBs in college or youtube, they are oh so similar. Holy wow quick n fast and good luck catching them on screens. They're all way too thin to offer any confidence in them become a feature back but yet "let's see what he can do in the open field" is a reasonable thought.

Remember, I'm struggling to summarize.

Suppose this plan fails and all the UDFA RBs can't cut it.  They can sign a player still (it's early) and Dion will have to take on that role more often so...we're going on a tangent that could provide a diverse backfield but if it fails, they'll just do what we all expected anyway. The risk is minimal.

Try one more time- Dion is viewed as the super sub that can do anything but will not be asked to do everything often because of his injury risk. (Reality ugh spin) They'd rather the UDFA RB get injured.

• Like 1

Yet one more thing- Greg Cosell thinks they all have "without question"  the ability to play in the NFL and the Titans pulled off quite a coo (sp?) signing them but he doesn't know if their bodies can hold up

29 minutes ago, Bri said:

Now we have to wait until rookie minicamp is over (and hope they tell us!) to see if one of the UDFA RBs seems good enough for the role. Since I don't expect them to tell us, we'll probably have to watch all summer and gauge how those three are doing. 

If none of them makes it, Lewis will have a considerable role and be useful in PPR.

If one of them makes it, it will be toned down some and we'll do that FF routine where we hope he "hits a home run" each week. 

With a UDFA RB- no chance he gets 8 catches or 100 yards unless it's some long broken play. Probably a guarantee for 3-4 catches and 30-40 yards though

Without a UDFA RB- if Henry is getting stuffed, he could have a zillion catches. If Henry is not running well, he could get many carries. 

While bad for FF, it will be good for the team and Dion's health, if he can be a get'r done type guy that comes in.

As I said in other threads, they're well aware of Kevin Faulk and how Belichick has appreciated the third-down backs over the years. They seem to view him as that guy PLUS the ability to fill in for Henry. 

If you haven't watched any of the three UDFA RBs in college or youtube, they are oh so similar. Holy wow quick n fast and good luck catching them on screens. They're all way too thin to offer any confidence in them become a feature back but yet "let's see what he can do in the open field" is a reasonable thought.

Remember, I'm struggling to summarize.

Suppose this plan fails and all the UDFA RBs can't cut it.  They can sign a player still (it's early) and Dion will have to take on that role more often so...we're going on a tangent that could provide a diverse backfield but if it fails, they'll just do what we all expected anyway. The risk is minimal.

Try one more time- Dion is viewed as the super sub that can do anything but will not be asked to do everything often because of his injury risk. (Reality ugh spin) They'd rather the UDFA RB get injured.

Not to be rude, but I think this is nonsense, and you're falling for BS coach-speak.  Are you implying that if one of the UDFA RBs looks pretty good in camp, that Lewis, and his $5M salary is going to get, at most, limited work? Strongly disagree. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Ned Ryerson said:

Not to be rude, but I think this is nonsense, and you're falling for BS coach-speak.  Are you implying that if one of the UDFA RBs looks pretty good in camp, that Lewis, and his $5M salary is going to get, at most, limited work? Strongly disagree. 

One must "fall for BS coach-speak" in May. There's little to no contact for the players til July. There's very little opportunity to see them and form your own opinion til July. Everything is a theory, and even acted out, until they can finally hit each other in July. 

I could probably list 30 plays that I have absolutely loved, but yet never seen them in the actual regular season. Do you realize how many NFL players play well in shorts? We're just off the NFL's true fantasy season where every rookie is the solution to every team's needs. Do you really think every WR and RB drafted is gonna go for 1000 yards this year?

We fall for it. This is what we do. Don't pin this on me, I didn't offer such suggestions but tried to relay.

The Titans drafted Khalfani Muhammad last year. An atrocious 3rd down back that was not allowed to play 3rd downs in college because he could neither catch nor block well. That's in my list of worst picks ever. They didn't cut him though. We had to watch good players not get called onto the PS so that he could have a spot and possibly develop what he never did. They cut him and didn't draft a RB. That was a bit odd. They've kept four for as long as I can remember and ..it's what they do. They get to four RBs and then UDFAs get them to 7 or 8 for camp. 

The Titans have gone from arguably the worst in the NFL to arguably one of the best young teams. We fans have no idea what they're doing. Do you know how long it's been since people had expectations for "us?" We're so used to UDFAs making the team and contributing, meh players signed from other teams coming here to star, and all sorts of things. This is the second year, in some time, that there hasn't been massive turnover. How do the always good Pats truly add players? Such a large percent of draftees are no longer with their team. It's certainly different once a team has a good solid base and good backups. If they're going to try to add a scat back by signing the best UDFA RBs....well, it's worth a shot.

These UDFA RBs are special and by many accounts they got lucky. Now what? Because I can't get over that they all are built like stick figures and not NFL players. The Titans are discussing a set role for them. OK, I can buy that much. Each have excellent vision and hands and are truly special athletes and there's something more realistic to a role than imagining 250lb linebackers crushing them in cartoon-like fashion.

Darius Jennings is the most useful player in the NFL. He's played S, CB, RB, WR, return guy, and ace. It took a bit, but we finally realized why Belichick liked to have this guy around. Antonio Andrews was a two time Mr Kentucky as a high school QB and the big stout back could sling it pretty well. He played FB, RB, slot, 4th QB, backup long snapper, KR, and ace. He wasn't re-signed last year and is done with football. Jennings is "nothing special" in games, but his value on a practice squad or during practices is obvious. Larry Rose III was ridiculous as a DB in high school. Against former college coaches (Texas, FNL) he would move and line up deep like a S, on a WR, at the LOS, or his LB spot. His coach gave him the freedom to read and react and holy wow did he overdo it.....but he was awesome at it. He refused every offer to come play DB in college, insisting on playing RB. He turned down name schools to go be a RB for little New Mexico State. It's possible Rose III is their new "53rd player" that is oh so useful in practice and supplants Jennings. The Titans (and most teams) always have a coach's pet. The hustler, the yes coach guy, and the obvious roster spot saving scenario since he can play multiple spots. This could be another scenario. Maybe the UDFA RBs get pushed around and a "rude awakening" that they're not big enough for the NFL, but Rose III sticks as a coach's pet.

Jayon Brown was a fifth round rookie ILB last year. The guy had serious issues playing a hard nosed role, shedding blockers, and making the tough one on one tackles. There's no way he makes it in the NFL then, right? ILBs have to do that, right? He stuck and was super useful. On every 3rd and long, he was in. Go ahead and run, the Titans will take their chances, but now they have one of the fastest LBs on the field to help in coverage. He was pretty good at covering elite TEs and for a rookie, that's considerable. Two years ago, the Titans largely played 3 safety sets and Vrabel wants to get back to that. They only have four and that's after adding one in the draft, so how is that possible? Logan Ryan played some S in New England and (at times, specific times) when there isn't a slot WR for him to cover, he can shift to this third safety. Jayon Brown is the other "new" "third safety" for some plays too. Brown played S in college because he was stuck behind Myles Jack. He has experience, besides his skillset looking like he could play the role. So will they do this? I don't know, probably. Will they do it often as they claim to want to- hmmmm that's a tough one to answer. What seemed far-fetched truly wasn't once you realize that each do have a smidge of experience at S. 

Now get this- last year, the Titans had 18 guys in camp that used to play safety. 18!!!!!

Maybe Muhammad's failure was a sign they better sign Dion Lewis. Maybe that was also a result of not re-signing Murray?

When they added Lewan, they had seven or eight new players that were former tackles. Quinton Spain became a starting G out of that extra group. When they added Conklin, they did the same. There is also something to this concept of adding many and hoping one pans out.

There are a zillion tangents one can go on here and it doesn't do any good to sit here, call it coach speak, and discard it. Pads will bring a huge difference to how the players perform in shorts. We'll deal with that when it happens. It's possible this is just a prelude to them drafting a scat back in the third round next year? Sure, but you can't believe one tangent and not another and be so hardfast that this will or won't happen. Things have to play out

12 hours ago, Bri said:

One must "fall for BS coach-speak" in May. There's little to no contact for the players til July. There's very little opportunity to see them and form your own opinion til July. Everything is a theory, and even acted out, until they can finally hit each other in July. 

I could probably list 30 plays that I have absolutely loved, but yet never seen them in the actual regular season. Do you realize how many NFL players play well in shorts? We're just off the NFL's true fantasy season where every rookie is the solution to every team's needs. Do you really think every WR and RB drafted is gonna go for 1000 yards this year?

We fall for it. This is what we do. Don't pin this on me, I didn't offer such suggestions but tried to relay.

The Titans drafted Khalfani Muhammad last year. An atrocious 3rd down back that was not allowed to play 3rd downs in college because he could neither catch nor block well. That's in my list of worst picks ever. They didn't cut him though. We had to watch good players not get called onto the PS so that he could have a spot and possibly develop what he never did. They cut him and didn't draft a RB. That was a bit odd. They've kept four for as long as I can remember and ..it's what they do. They get to four RBs and then UDFAs get them to 7 or 8 for camp. 

The Titans have gone from arguably the worst in the NFL to arguably one of the best young teams. We fans have no idea what they're doing. Do you know how long it's been since people had expectations for "us?" We're so used to UDFAs making the team and contributing, meh players signed from other teams coming here to star, and all sorts of things. This is the second year, in some time, that there hasn't been massive turnover. How do the always good Pats truly add players? Such a large percent of draftees are no longer with their team. It's certainly different once a team has a good solid base and good backups. If they're going to try to add a scat back by signing the best UDFA RBs....well, it's worth a shot.

These UDFA RBs are special and by many accounts they got lucky. Now what? Because I can't get over that they all are built like stick figures and not NFL players. The Titans are discussing a set role for them. OK, I can buy that much. Each have excellent vision and hands and are truly special athletes and there's something more realistic to a role than imagining 250lb linebackers crushing them in cartoon-like fashion.

Darius Jennings is the most useful player in the NFL. He's played S, CB, RB, WR, return guy, and ace. It took a bit, but we finally realized why Belichick liked to have this guy around. Antonio Andrews was a two time Mr Kentucky as a high school QB and the big stout back could sling it pretty well. He played FB, RB, slot, 4th QB, backup long snapper, KR, and ace. He wasn't re-signed last year and is done with football. Jennings is "nothing special" in games, but his value on a practice squad or during practices is obvious. Larry Rose III was ridiculous as a DB in high school. Against former college coaches (Texas, FNL) he would move and line up deep like a S, on a WR, at the LOS, or his LB spot. His coach gave him the freedom to read and react and holy wow did he overdo it.....but he was awesome at it. He refused every offer to come play DB in college, insisting on playing RB. He turned down name schools to go be a RB for little New Mexico State. It's possible Rose III is their new "53rd player" that is oh so useful in practice and supplants Jennings. The Titans (and most teams) always have a coach's pet. The hustler, the yes coach guy, and the obvious roster spot saving scenario since he can play multiple spots. This could be another scenario. Maybe the UDFA RBs get pushed around and a "rude awakening" that they're not big enough for the NFL, but Rose III sticks as a coach's pet.

Jayon Brown was a fifth round rookie ILB last year. The guy had serious issues playing a hard nosed role, shedding blockers, and making the tough one on one tackles. There's no way he makes it in the NFL then, right? ILBs have to do that, right? He stuck and was super useful. On every 3rd and long, he was in. Go ahead and run, the Titans will take their chances, but now they have one of the fastest LBs on the field to help in coverage. He was pretty good at covering elite TEs and for a rookie, that's considerable. Two years ago, the Titans largely played 3 safety sets and Vrabel wants to get back to that. They only have four and that's after adding one in the draft, so how is that possible? Logan Ryan played some S in New England and (at times, specific times) when there isn't a slot WR for him to cover, he can shift to this third safety. Jayon Brown is the other "new" "third safety" for some plays too. Brown played S in college because he was stuck behind Myles Jack. He has experience, besides his skillset looking like he could play the role. So will they do this? I don't know, probably. Will they do it often as they claim to want to- hmmmm that's a tough one to answer. What seemed far-fetched truly wasn't once you realize that each do have a smidge of experience at S. 

Now get this- last year, the Titans had 18 guys in camp that used to play safety. 18!!!!!

Maybe Muhammad's failure was a sign they better sign Dion Lewis. Maybe that was also a result of not re-signing Murray?

When they added Lewan, they had seven or eight new players that were former tackles. Quinton Spain became a starting G out of that extra group. When they added Conklin, they did the same. There is also something to this concept of adding many and hoping one pans out.

There are a zillion tangents one can go on here and it doesn't do any good to sit here, call it coach speak, and discard it. Pads will bring a huge difference to how the players perform in shorts. We'll deal with that when it happens. It's possible this is just a prelude to them drafting a scat back in the third round next year? Sure, but you can't believe one tangent and not another and be so hardfast that this will or won't happen. Things have to play out

Actually, no you don't have to.  You could simply concede that it is coach-speak, remember that it is May, and wait until July or August before making these kinds of evaluations and assessments, and even then, take them with a grain of salt.  Your prior confusing post implies that people should be potentially shedding their Lewis shares because of coach-speak about UDFAs.  Really?

Hold on, I'm getting an update-

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/05/10/adam-gase-devante-parker-has-more-of-a-purpose-on-the-field/

This is the year he has a purpose?!?!?!?  Into the top two rounds he goes, because his coach thinks he has "more of a purpose" this year.:rolleyes:

5 minutes ago, Ned Ryerson said:

Actually, no you don't have to.  You could simply concede that it is coach-speak, remember that it is May,

Yeah just wait until Vrabel starts saying how they have packages where Henry and Lewis both line up in the backfield together - as that happens every May and not so much in Sept-Jan.

1 hour ago, Dr. Octopus said:

Yeah just wait until Vrabel starts saying how they have packages where Henry and Lewis both line up in the backfield together - as that happens every May and not so much in Sept-Jan.

That is right after they tell us that (insert player name here) is in the best shape of his life and has been catching passes daily from the local stud high school QB...

Edited by Boston
  • Like 1

Keep fighting the good fight Bri I was able to glean some understanding of what the coaches may be looking at from the post that you deleted.

Of course everything is up in the air right now. Now is the time for us to learn about other players recently added to the team and even if those FA RB do not make the cut it can tell us something about possible packages and how the Titans offense may function after camp breaks.

I am actually pleasantly surprised with Cossells comments about Lewis possibly being a feature RB for the Titans. He is thinking outside of the box with that article and it indicates that he may have turned a new leaf about how the NFL is changing and how a smaller RB like Lewis fits todays NFL that is incorporating more spread and passing. Just five years ago or so I don't think Cosell would have been talking about Lewis as a featured RB.

I don't think that Lewis will be the primary RB as Cosell speculates, I think that is going to be Henry, but I still like to hear Cosell talking about that which is a shift from what he has considered a foundation RB not that long ago.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ned Ryerson said:

Actually, no you don't have to.  You could simply concede that it is coach-speak, remember that it is May, and wait until July or August before making these kinds of evaluations and assessments, and even then, take them with a grain of salt.  Your prior confusing post implies that people should be potentially shedding their Lewis shares because of coach-speak about UDFAs.  Really?

Hold on, I'm getting an update-

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/05/10/adam-gase-devante-parker-has-more-of-a-purpose-on-the-field/

This is the year he has a purpose?!?!?!?  Into the top two rounds he goes, because his coach thinks he has "more of a purpose" this year.:rolleyes:

no one said to get rid of Lewis or sign Devante Parker. 

4 hours ago, Dr. Octopus said:

3 hours ago, Boston said:

That is right after they tell us that (insert player name here) is in the best shape of his life and has been catching passes daily from the local stud high school QB...

These are good, but don’t believe anything until a guy is “turning heads” at camp.  Most necks snapped equates to greatest fantasy value.  Thank me later

• Like 3