What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Bump Finley (1 Viewer)

GB made the right move by keeping him. He's a mismatch and better that the rap he gets here. Ill buy. Some owners will unload him for pretty cheap.

Sorry my bad.Those stats were up thru week 16 and did not include the final week of the season.So those were up to week sixteen which would basically be of importance to the fantasy community unless you play your championship game on week 17.So I guess the stats I hadn't weren't accurate to week 17 but are more valuable to the fantasy community brah.
Please stop saying brah. It makes otherwise decent posts sound foolish.

Sorry my bad.Those stats were up thru week 16 and did not include the final week of the season.So those were up to week sixteen which would basically be of importance to the fantasy community unless you play your championship game on week 17.So I guess the stats I hadn't weren't accurate to week 17 but are more valuable to the fantasy community brah.
I believe he is kind of mocking FF Ninja, who used "brah" first.

I was very high on him back in the day. I'm not sure he is as fast as he was back then (since his 2010 knee injury), so he may not be the mismatch he was.
What was his injury? Something minor like cartilage removal, I think. Whatever it was, it is not to blame for his lack of success. He was never the fastest, strongest, or biggest TE. Athleticism was not the key to his fantasy success. System + targets will determine his worth. Well... assuming he doesn't drop those targets.
It was a torn meniscus, not a huge injury. Before the injury, Finley had 21-304-1 through 4 games, with 2 100 yard games. That is a tremendous pace. The year before, in his first season getting real playing time, he had a couple of 100 yard games mixed in with a decent season.In two full seasons since then he hasn't had a 100 yard game. He hasn't had a 90 yard game. He hasn't had an 80 yard game since 2011. And he had a whopping 2 70 yards games last year.

I picked Finley up in the preseason of 2009 because he looked uncoverable. He caught the ball with his hands away from his body. He was plenty athletic in terms of his body control, and was fast. Not Vernon Davis fast, but plenty fast for a TE. Finley got a ton of targets in large part due to his mismatch. I don't tune in to exclusively Green Bay games, but most of the catches I saw Finley make this past year were with a guy on his back. With the talent on that offense, The D cannot roll coverage to Finley... if he was the same, physically, as before then he should have had a monster year.

Something is up. I hope it was just confidence, his own or his QB's confidence in him. But I didn't see the same mismatch out there in 2011 or 2012.
:goodposting:

I haven't done any statistical analysis, but just using my eyes I can see that this is not the same player that overwhelmed defenses late in 2009. He's lost something physically. People tend to focus on the drops, but I'm more concerned that he rarely get separation from defenders anymore.

I recently heard someone compare him to Kellen Winslow Jr. I think that's probably about right.

And I was doing it as a jab for his jab about people not doing homework when his "homework" wasn't actually useful for the discussion. I am no flat brimmer. My use of "brah" will always be sarcastic.

I haven't done any statistical analysis, but just using my eyes I can see that this is not the same player that overwhelmed defenses late in 2009. He's lost something physically. People tend to focus on the drops, but I'm more concerned that he rarely get separation from defenders anymore.

I recently heard someone compare him to Kellen Winslow Jr. I think that's probably about right.
Just what we need. One more eyeball analysis. When guys stop being targeted deep or start seeing less targets suddenly the shark pool starts to see a loss in physical prowess. See Andre Johnson last year after his slow start. Shark poolers were coming out of the woodwork claiming to see that AJ had lost a step. And magically, this tapered off as he went on his way to 1000+ yards in his last 7 games...

And I was doing it as a jab for his jab about people not doing homework when his "homework" wasn't actually useful for the discussion. I am no flat brimmer. My use of "brah" will always be sarcastic.
My homework wasn't useful to your agenda.

Finley wasn't the primary on many of his targets.

Rodgers may threw a highly accurate ball but when he's down to his second and third options he would obviously be under more durress thus his accuracy would logically be decreased.

So the 'targets' that Finley would receive would logically be less accurate if he wasn't the primary.

Also I pointed out correctly that both ESPN and Yahoo showed different target numbers which would significantly decrease your contribution which consisted of sharing one website whose drop stat can and should be questioned because its based on the number of targets which is open to personal interpretation thus the discrepency showing three different target numbers from three different web sites.

My homework wasn't useful to your agenda.

Finley wasn't the primary on many of his targets.

Rodgers may threw a highly accurate ball but when he's down to his second and third options he would obviously be under more durress thus his accuracy would logically be decreased.

So the 'targets' that Finley would receive would logically be less accurate if he wasn't the primary.

Also I pointed out correctly that both ESPN and Yahoo showed different target numbers which would significantly decrease your contribution which consisted of sharing one website whose drop stat can and should be questioned because its based on the number of targets which is open to personal interpretation thus the discrepency showing three different target numbers from three different web sites.
Agenda? Are you kidding me? How dense are you? I have already told you 2-3 times that I like Finley this year. I'm not trying to downplay him. I have no agenda. I was just trying to be objective by looking at both sides. Homeboy dropped a LOT of passes the last two years. His catch rate was still high because he's got one of the most accurate QBs in the game, thus all your jibber jabber about how high his catch rate was did absolutely nothing to refute that he's dropped a lot of catchable balls the last two years - which I hypothesized was why he has not seen the targets we all expected after ending 2009 with 59 targets in 8 games and beginning 2010 with 26 targets in 4 games.

You can make excuses for Finley's drops with this silly duress hypothesis, but given that Finley's ypr dropped to 10.9 from a career 13.3 tells me he was being targeted on shorter routes so the passes should've been more accurate than previously.

But no need to dwell on the past. I think it was PFF that said he had 6 drops in the first half of the season and only 3 in the second half after he and Rodgers started spending an extra hour of practice together. To me, this is a good sign and hopefully with the departure of Jennings, Finley will see a few more targets and he'll catch them. Should he approach 100 targets and catch 70% of them, he'll be top 5 next year. Personally, I think this talk of him losing a step or whatever is total hogwash. The only thing holding him back is his concentration/dedication. If he can play up to his potential and earn Rodgers' confidence, maybe we'll see fantasy production somewhere between the last two years and the silly hype of 2010.

The primary receiver would logically have a higher YPC over a check-down/dump-off option. A QB's accuracy is based off a number things, protection, rythmn and timing, etc., so the primary receiver would have a better more accurate ball thrown to him over a terciary reeciever where protection would be breaking down and the timing likely would be off and/or DBs would have time to converge on the secondary receiver.

You said that is a silly excuse.

No its not, when the primary is covered and the QB is going through his progressions, accuracy won't increase it will decrease.

PFF showed Finley's drops decreased at the mid-point of last year and that matchest with his production last year.

Ttheir was a clash between Finley and Rodgers. Finley made it public that he wasn't getting the ball and Rogers brushed it off but Finley wasn't getting targeted at the mid-point of last year and it seemed Rodgers wasn't seeking him out but would grudgenly dump off to him after scanning the field. The balls he got were not as accurate as the ones thrown to the primary receivers. Logically the accuracy would not be as good when Rodgers was under duress and checking down.

After the spat went public Finley's production went up and PFF noted his drops decreased.

Something changed.

The evidence points that Finley wasn't being targeted before he went public and then suddenly got an increase in targets after that spat and his drops went down.

Did anything change other than his concentration improved? I don't buy your theory that it was concentration and you have no evidence to support that theory.

His drops went up when he wasn't being targeted as often and his drops decreased when his targets increased. The evidence is the number and my theory is the quality of the passes thrown his way.

Additionally PFF's drop stat can and should be called into question because it is calculated using targets and targets are open to personal interpretation making them questionable. Its not suprising that a subjective statistic like targets are different at the top sites who had different target numbers all which are higher than PFFs target number. A higher target number severely diminishes their drop statistic. Severely? Yeah severely since adding three disputed targets decreases that stat by nearly 30% proving PFF's drop stat isn't very stable.

Green Bay paid Finley and I'm sure they plan on using him as the primary and hopefully they'll use him more often in the redzone.

Just what we need. One more eyeball analysis. When guys stop being targeted deep or start seeing less targets suddenly the shark pool starts to see a loss in physical prowess. See Andre Johnson last year after his slow start. Shark poolers were coming out of the woodwork claiming to see that AJ had lost a step. And magically, this tapered off as he went on his way to 1000+ yards in his last 7 games...
Believe what you want to believe. People who watch the Packers every week will tell you, this is not the same player. Late in 2009, he looked like the next coming of Antonia Gates. The Packers built their 2010 offensive gameplan around him before his injury. Since that time he's just your run of the mill TE.

His drops went up when he wasn't being targeted as often and his drops decreased when his targets increased. The evidence is the number and my theory is the quality of the passes thrown his way.
Do you really want to keep arguing about your dumb*** theory? Just because there is a possible trend in a small sample size and you have some harebrained theory doesn't mean that your theory is right. There are so many reasons why your theory is asinine that I don't even want to go into it.

And you keep b****ing and whining about PFF's 2012 stats, but I keep telling you it's been a two year problem. Here is a non-PFF site which states he had 11 drops in 2011.

I still don't see why you keep posting all this drivel when we actually both like Finley in 2013.

Or, sometimes, you know, there is a loss in physical prowess and people notice. "Shark poolers" come out of the woodwork on many players in regard to physical decline, some correctly and some incorrectly. Citing one time that "they" may have been wrong isn't very compelling.

Or, sometimes, you know, there is a loss in physical prowess and people notice. "Shark poolers" come out of the woodwork on many players in regard to physical decline, some correctly and some incorrectly. Citing one time that "they" may have been wrong isn't very compelling.
Eyeball analysis on internet forums is less compelling than you may think, too.

The masses are prone to hysteria. You want another example? Marshawn Lynch. He was dead to everyone. Got smoked by an undrafted free agent, right? Not so fast. I got him for a song and a dance when he was on Buffalo. Bottom line, if a guy is producing, the "sharks" can see his talent. Doesn't matter if it takes him 38 carries a game, but if he puts up 100+ yards 3 games in a row, his talent is obvious (Jerome Harrison). If his targets slip, then he's lost a step (Andre Johnson).

Let's try to minimize the armchair scouting and stick to numbers.

FF Ninja said:

Eyeball analysis on internet forums is less compelling than you may think, too.

The masses are prone to hysteria. You want another example? Marshawn Lynch. He was dead to everyone. Got smoked by an undrafted free agent, right? Not so fast. I got him for a song and a dance when he was on Buffalo. Bottom line, if a guy is producing, the "sharks" can see his talent. Doesn't matter if it takes him 38 carries a game, but if he puts up 100+ yards 3 games in a row, his talent is obvious (Jerome Harrison). If his targets slip, then he's lost a step (Andre Johnson).

Let's try to minimize the armchair scouting and stick to numbers.
I don't think eyeball analysis on internet forums is compelling. However, giving opinions of the fantasy value of players based on various factors, eyeball analysis being one of many factors, is kind of the point of fantasy football message boards. One can disagree and cite their own eyeball analysis, or show videos contradicting that opinion, or cite various statistics to support one's opinion. That is what we are here for. Citing previous players is fine and dandy to show anecdotal evidence that eyeball analysis can be wrong... but can we all agree that there are going to be an awful lot of examples that "prove" both possible outcomes? Not to mention that said anecdotal evidence isn't exactly sticking to the numbers, eh?

One can certainly disagree without condescension.

Good discussion is the point of FF message boards. But one of the most worthless aspects of this board has to be the eyeball tests. If it were possible to quantify, I think player opportunity and message board eyeball tests would have an extremely high correlation. I mean, look at how the perception of Schaub has changed as Houston's offensive philosophy has shifted from pass to run thanks to the defense. Or the perception of any running back who plays on an offense that doesn't run or score much. Talent/physical ability is often mistaken for opportunity. Some people can stay objective, but they aren't the ones who post their eyeball tests the most. It's the people who see AJ and Finley not living up to expectations (regardless if it is directly related to targets) that start screaming that the sky is falling. It's just silly. Does that mean they're never right? No. If you bet on red every time, you're going to hit sometimes. Does that mean you're clairvoyant? No, just consistent. Just like the message boards. Could it be that a player is targeted less because he's not running crisp routes or not catching the ball well? No, it's always that he's lost a step, can't get separation, etc.

And sure, I could point this out w/o condescension, but people hear what they want to hear. You've got to be blunt to get the point across.

And sure, I could point this out w/o condescension, but people hear what they want to hear. You've got to be blunt to get the point across.
People make up their own minds.

Being condensending or blunt doesn't force people into hearing an argument. They quickly are turned off by those tactics and tune out arguments where those tactics are used.

People aren't intimidated by tactics that harm the argument of the person who uses them.

The best tactics are those where your argumentative points are likely to be well received instead of tuned out.

In cases such as this, I'm simply trying to shame people into not diluting discussions with worthless eyeball analysis. Not trying to help enlighten them.

On the contrary, he's got credibility on his side. Plus, he actually studies film and has been good enough at it to make a career of it. I don't think anyone here actually studies film. They watch red zone and check box scores (as do I).

On the contrary, he's got credibility on his side. Plus, he actually studies film and has been good enough at it to make a career of it. I don't think anyone here actually studies film. They watch red zone and check box scores (as do I).
Or are Packer fans that can watch what we see on the field seeing every game and give our opinions on what is a message board full of opinions.

Odd that never heard that about Finley (having any other children...not sure about 5 different since that was her claim...)...but that chick seems like a real piece of work herself.

Would not shock me that much about him at all.

Based on talent alone this guy seems like a great buy low. Can't even sell him for a late 2014 1st round pick to TE needy teams in a league where I already own Housler, Cameron, and Marty B among other long shots.

Last edited by a moderator:
Rotoworld:

Tight ends coach Jerry Fontenot said Jermichael Finley seems "really dialed in."
Finley's weight is where the coaches want it to be, he's not mouthing off in the media and head coach Mike McCarthy said his starting tight end was "excellent" during spring practices. Finley is also entering a contract year and Greg Jennings is in Minnesota. If he's ever going to realize his massive potential, the time is now. Finley is our No. 9 tight end in the Draft Guide.

Source: ESPN Milwaukee

Odd that never heard that about Finley (having any other children...not sure about 5 different since that was her claim...)...but that chick seems like a real piece of work herself.

Would not shock me that much about him at all.
Rumors of this kind of thing have been whispered around these parts for years.

Finley tries to let his play do the talking

By Rob Demovsky | ESPN.com

GREEN BAY, Wis. -- For a guy who loves to talk and lights up every time a camera or microphone is in front of him, it had to be hard for Jermichael Finley to stand in front of his locker on Wednesday afternoon and be vanilla for 8 minutes.

But in his first extended session with reporters since training camp began, the Green Bay Packers tight end did exactly what coach Mike McCarthy wanted from Finley: He stayed on message. No more criticizing his teammates. No more talking about how he and quarterback Aaron Rodgers lack chemistry. No more jabs at opposing teams that will prompt players to call him an idiot, like Chicago Bears linebacker Lance Briggs did last December.

“When I’m out on the field, I talk when I’m supposed to talk,” Finley said. “Here, I’m just doing the right things, doing what I’m supposed to do and doing it the right way.”

In some ways, it has been a career-long battle to get the sixth-year tight end to fall in line, so there’s always reason to wonder when the 26-year-old will pop off again. Surely, that’s in the back of everyone in the organization’s minds, from coaches to public relations staffers.Now, however, the team’s chief concern may be to get its ultra-athletic tight end going on the field. Five practices into training camp, Finley has gone largely unnoticed. He made a tough, twisting catch down the seam on a quick throw from Rodgers during a team period on Wednesday, but that was his lone highlight of the day.

“I don’t think the approach is any different,” McCarthy said when asked what is different about Finley this year. “Jermichael Finley loves football. He’s not in the media every day; that’s a good thing.”

McCarthy then tried to pass that last line off as a joke.

When the Packers paid Finley’s $3 million roster bonus in late March, it ensured that he would be one of the team’s highest-paid players in 2013 with total compensation of $8.25 million.

McCarthy and general manager Ted Thompson banked on the idea that Finley would eventually mature and play more like he did in the final seven games of 2012, when he ranked third among NFL tight ends in receiving yards (396 during that stretch) and tied for fifth in receptions (32). Though his season was still somewhat of a disappointment, plagued by dropped passes (six according to ESPN Stats & Information), he still set a franchise record for tight ends with 61 receptions.

The Packers also hoped Finley would become a better all-around player. He once viewed himself as a receiver as much as a tight end, even dropping his weight into the 230s in 2011, but says he has committed to becoming a better blocker. To do so, he has put weight back on his 6-foot-5 frame -- he said about 10 pounds -- and probably is closer to the 247 pounds the Packers list him at.

“He’s stronger,” McCarthy said. “He’s back to the Jermichael Finley of ... what? I guess it would be 2009 or 2010. He’s where he needs to be. He’s in a very good place. I think he’s having a heck of a camp.”

It’s a contract year for Finley, whose last deal with the Packers ran just two years. Skeptics might say that’s why Finley is following the company line and took note that a few times during Finley’s cliché’-filled talk on Wednesday he fought back a smile.

“Just doing what I’m supposed to do,” Finley said. “Doing it the right way.”

“He’s stronger,” McCarthy said. “He’s back to the Jermichael Finley of ... what? I guess it would be 2009 or 2010. He’s where he needs to be. He’s in a very good place. I think he’s having a heck of a camp.”
This quote is hilarious, because it kind of conveys the real truth--especially the pause. Finley has never been what people made him out to be.

This quote is hilarious, because it kind of conveys the real truth--especially the pause. Finley has never been what people made him out to be.
Clearly the Packers see something in him to keep paying him so much money.

I know "bump Finley" has become amusing phrase, but I feel like people really should be bumping him a little up their redraft rankings. Feels like he's getting overlooked in favour of some pretty speculative fliers at TE. I don't know if the light will ever switch on with him, but there's still plenty of upside here.

RushHour said:
I know "bump Finley" has become amusing phrase, but I feel like people really should be bumping him a little up their redraft rankings. Feels like he's getting overlooked in favour of some pretty speculative fliers at TE. I don't know if the light will ever switch on with him, but there's still plenty of upside here.
61 receptions last year (read somewhere it was a team record for TEs).

His problem is his mouth is ahead of his game...and there are a lot of mouths to feed in GB.

Seems there are chances for a guy like him with the NE TE situation muddled up and Pitta hurt...to move up some rankings.

And he should come decently cheap this year.

RushHour said:
61 receptions last year (read somewhere it was a team record for TEs).

His problem is his mouth is ahead of his game...and there are a lot of mouths to feed in GB.

Seems there are chances for a guy like him with the NE TE situation muddled up and Pitta hurt...to move up some rankings.

And he should come decently cheap this year.
Agree that he "bumps" due to attrition but not on opportunity and situation or increased ability.

Rotoworld:

According to the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel, receptions have been "few and far between" for Jermichael Finley at Packers camp.
"He just hasn't seen the ball much," per the paper. No explanation was provided. Coach Mike McCarthy recently told the media Finley is "having a heck of a camp," a month after TEs coach Jerry Fontenot called him "really dialed in." Finley finished the 2012 season as the No. 19 overall fantasy tight end.

Source: Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel

Rotoworld:

Aaron Rodgers praised Jermichael Finley's improved route running and "unbelievable" fitness in training camp.
It's a contract year for 26-year-old Finley, and early signs suggest he's aiming to take full advantage. "He's been running his routes really well," Rodgers said. "Something clicked last year midseason ... and it's carried over this spring. He's got himself in unbelievable shape, and he's come in and been dominating out there. I'm really proud of him." We're always in wait-and-see mode with Finley, but he's never lacked talent to be a top-five fantasy tight end.

Source: Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel

Beyond all the fitness talk and mouthing off and chemistry issues, etc…. it seems to me like the biggest issue with Finley is that Cobb is such a mismatch in the slot and so effective working the underneath part of the field. While Jermichael can stretch and exploit the seam, he's basically lost his underneath role to Cobb.

Am I missing something? Wasn't that why there was all the buzz on the guy?

Maybe you say he put it together while Cobb was on the field during the last 8 games of the season, but it certainly seems like Finley will frustrate and be inconsistent at best.

Also been reading on Twitter that coaches have been talking about his blocking improving.

Hope its true with him...with the nicks going around the WRs...may need some solid production from him.

This.... ^

I was one of those "Bump Finley" guys the past 2 years.. but I really believe this is his year with Jennings gone, and the physical condition hes showed up in.

Finley is growing in Rodgers' eyes

By Rob Demovsky | ESPN.com

GREEN BAY, Wis. – Maybe it’s just a quarterback trying to build the confidence of one his top targets, but just about every time Aaron Rodgers holds court in front of his locker, he has something good to say about tight end Jermichael Finley.

And almost all of it has been unprompted.

For example, during Wednesday’s session with reporters, Rodgers was in the middle of answering a question about his own play when he brought up Finley.

“I think a guy like Jermichael Finley’s had an excellent camp,” Rodgers said. “It’s fun to watch him make some of the plays that he wasn’t making three or four years ago as far as being able to read a defense quickly and diagnosis it and get into his route. He’s been very consistent for us, and he’s been able to stay healthy.”

One week earlier, Rodgers said something similar about Finley.

“I’ve been really impressed with Jermichael,” Rodgers said at the time. “I think he’s had an excellent camp. He’s been running his routes well. Something clicked last year midseason, and he really started to take off, and it’s carried over this spring. He got himself in unbelievable shape, and he’s come in and been dominating out there. I’m really proud of him and the steps he’s made.”

Rodgers and Finley haven’t always had the best relationship – remember how often Finley talked in 2011 and 2012 about not having good chemistry with the quarterback? Perhaps this is Rodgers’ way of extending an olive branch to the ultra-athletic but inconsistent tight end.

Whatever the reason, Rodgers has been looking Finley’s way more often on the practice field. After a slow start to camp, Finley caught fire this week. On Monday, he made a twisting 15-yard touchdown catch on a seam route against tight coverage from linebacker Sam Barrington. On Wednesday, he opened the no-huddle period with back-to-back catches of 18 and 12 yards.

Finley hasn’t been perfect. Earlier in Wednesday’s practice, he dropped a catchable ball on a crossing pattern. But with Jordy Nelson (knee) and Randall Cobb (biceps) sidelined because of injuries, Rodgers knows he needs Finley now more than ever, which could be why he’s giving him props every chance he gets.

For his part, Finley appears to be handling this season in a different manner. He’s rarely in the locker room when it’s open to reporters. He used to sit at his locker and welcome any and every opportunity to talk (hence the repeated references to a lack of chemistry with Rodgers). For now, he has stuck to his mantra of “just doing what I’m supposed to do [and] doing it the right way.”

Whether its him maturing...or someone in his ear saying he needs to play for that next contract, Finley seems to have grown up enough to shut his mouth and put in some work.

With the injuries to the WRs...he is in line to have a nice start to the year and can still be had pretty cheap.

Whether its him maturing...or someone in his ear saying he needs to play for that next contract, Finley seems to have grown up enough to shut his mouth and put in some work.

With the injuries to the WRs...he is in line to have a nice start to the year and can still be had pretty cheap.
Maturity is great but shutting his mouth and being in great shape doesn't automatically translate to catching more passes or being a trusted target. Suppressing his swagger is nice, earning it would be even better...

Users who are viewing this thread