What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Indefinite Tampa Bay Bucs thread: Somehow not on the list of teams to never have won a Super Bowl (2 Viewers)

Through my extensive draft research this afternoon I noticed that guy Than Merrill from Flip this House was drafted by the Bucs out of Yale in 2001. He's had a bunch of commercials on the radio lately about attending his house flipping workshops, so there's that.

Gramatica was a 3rd round pick?! This franchise is inept.

I'd love to see the 32 nfl teams ranked by draft + development success % where success is defined as "barring injury, player started 16 games for at least 2 seasons in a row by their 4th year in the league". So, 11 starters on offense, 11 starters on defense. How many 2014 starters out of 22 were drafted by their respective teams since 2011, and have started for at least 2 years in a row?

Then I'd love to see that % correlated with win % this season.

Probably a no-brainer that if you can develop starters through the draft you're going to be a good-to-great team, but I'd still be curious to see how teams rank in this kind of analysis.

Guys, Glennon is terrible.

I mean, so is McCown but stop pretending like they are keeping somebody good on the bench here.
terrible is a stretch, he is a ton younger than McCown and has a more promising future. If you are getting pummeled starting JM why not roll the dice on a younger player that may actually develop. Glennon, while not mobile at all, can make all the throws, has good accuracy and just needs more reps IMO.
No Glennon cannot make all the throws. That's actually his biggest problem. Anything deep is a no-go and his out routes get jumped.

Guys, Glennon is terrible.

I mean, so is McCown but stop pretending like they are keeping somebody good on the bench here.
Glennon is absolutely NOT terrible. He's not good by any means, probably not even above average...but he's still better than McCown and still very young. He'll be a career #2, and probably one of the better ones at that.
Ok, I guess? What are we talking about here, whether a career backup gets more reps?

Honestly, it's amazing to me they're in the position to land the #1 pick. Just think of all the money they've spent on free agents and trades in the past three off-seasons.

Vincent Jackson, Carl Nicks, Eric Wright. Dashon Goldson. They traded for Revis. Anthony Collins, Michael Johnson, Alterraun Verner. Traded for Mankins. I'm probably forgetting others...

That being said, it's so depressing to look at their draft history, which is why they've been horrible. Nobody from the 2007 draft is even in the NFL anymore, and I think a couple of them might be dead. Nobody from 08 or 09 is on the team. McCoy is the only guy still here from 2010. Clayborn and Bowers are bust city from 2011. Passed on Keuchly for Barron in 2012. Martin looks like he might be the next Buc rookie tease.

####
Terrible franchise. God awful. And some people wanted to keep Dominik.

I will say if they took Keuchly over Barron they probably wouldn't have taken Lavontae. So that is kind of a wash.

Honestly, it's amazing to me they're in the position to land the #1 pick. Just think of all the money they've spent on free agents and trades in the past three off-seasons.

Vincent Jackson, Carl Nicks, Eric Wright. Dashon Goldson. They traded for Revis. Anthony Collins, Michael Johnson, Alterraun Verner. Traded for Mankins. I'm probably forgetting others...

That being said, it's so depressing to look at their draft history, which is why they've been horrible. Nobody from the 2007 draft is even in the NFL anymore, and I think a couple of them might be dead. Nobody from 08 or 09 is on the team. McCoy is the only guy still here from 2010. Clayborn and Bowers are bust city from 2011. Passed on Keuchly for Barron in 2012. Martin looks like he might be the next Buc rookie tease.

####

I will say if they took Keuchly over Barron they probably wouldn't have taken Lavontae. So that is kind of a wash. They would have then taken some other loser in round 2.

####

I will say if they took Keuchly over Barron they probably wouldn't have taken Lavontae. So that is kind of a wash. They would have then taken some other loser in round 2.
True enough.. They had drafted Foster the year prior.

Why are Bucs fans so enamored by Mariota? I get that he's in the discussion of the #1 pick. I really like him and he could well have a great NFL career. Bucs fans I have talked to, even FSU fans, want nothing to do do with Winston. Some local radio jocks have him completely off the Bucs draft board. I don't get it. Every time I see Winston, I see a fearless competitor who can't stand losing. He is the only QB from this class that "climbs the pocket" even when it's breaking down or getting muddy. He's got more courage under fire than half the starting NFL QBs today. Certainly better day one than whatever the Bucs got now. I know he's got off the field maturity issues to work on, but damn if I'm trusting my eyes, he's the best QB of this upcoming draft. It's a leap of faith, I know, but the Bucs should take the hometown kid. JMHO.

Why are Bucs fans so enamored by Mariota? I get that he's in the discussion of the #1 pick. I really like him and he could well have a great NFL career. Bucs fans I have talked to, even FSU fans, want nothing to do do with Winston. Some local radio jocks have him completely off the Bucs draft board. I don't get it. Every time I see Winston, I see a fearless competitor who can't stand losing. He is the only QB from this class that "climbs the pocket" even when it's breaking down or getting muddy. He's got more courage under fire than half the starting NFL QBs today. Certainly better day one than whatever the Bucs got now. I know he's got off the field maturity issues to work on, but damn if I'm trusting my eyes, he's the best QB of this upcoming draft. It's a leap of faith, I know, but the Bucs should take the hometown kid. JMHO.
If he interviews well and crushes his workouts I expect many of those concerns will be overlooked.

To answer your question, Bucs' fans seem to gravitate toward "running" QBs. Maybe because they're so used to watching their QB get annihilated?

It's difficult to look at Mariota's numbers in college and not get excited. They're ridiculous and better than Winston's in several passing categories. He's an explosive athlete and an extremely intelligent young man (graduated in 2013) who's immersed in football.

I get it when scouts say he "doesn't run a pro offense," but if people haven't noticed the NFL is changing, and several teams are running these kinds of offenses. I don't know why it would be so hard to implement something Mariota is comfortable with and play to his strengths.

Winston = EJ Manuel II.

Mariota will have a better pro career, thats almost not even debatable. Id be surprised to see Winston go in the first round IMO. Off the field issues will probably push him into the 2nd til some sucker takes a chance on him, Jets probably... and he will suck.

Winston = EJ Manuel II.

Mariota will have a better pro career, thats almost not even debatable. Id be surprised to see Winston go in the first round IMO. Off the field issues will probably push him into the 2nd til some sucker takes a chance on him, Jets probably... and he will suck.
:lmao:

Winston = EJ Manuel II.

As a Jets' fan, can I sign up for Winston in the second right now?

Ok I am being a tad over zealous... not a huge fan of the guy so my take is biased.

Just afraid the Bucs will draft him, and I will be stuck rooting for him and watching my Bucs suck for another 3 years. Hopefully some other team will draft him and I can watch them suck instead.

Only watched him in 2 games, and wasn't all the impressed... but I will probably be eating crow this time next year...

Last edited by a moderator:
He is so much laughably better than EJ Manual that everything you said afterwards had to be ignored.
errrr huh?

EJ (2012)

263 387 3397 68.0 8.8 23td 10int 156.1

Win (2014)

276 422 3559 65.4 8.43 24td 17int 147.0

I will say I have not watched him much, honestly I didnt want too... but if he was "laughably" better wouldnt he at least have better stats? Or no...

Honestly, just curious.

I was just coming back on to say... oh... just looked at a different site and saw his 2013 stats... so he regressed. Interesting...

:topcat:

Sorry, its not a QB rating thread its a Bucs thread. :(

Still not convinced they won't take Winston instead. I think he's overall the better player. Headcase, but that SHOULD settle down once he's in the NFL. Whatever team drafts him will make it

abundantly clear that the shenanigans will not continue on or he won't be in the NFL long.

Still not convinced they won't take Winston instead. I think he's overall the better player. Headcase, but that SHOULD settle down once he's in the NFL. Whatever team drafts him will make it

abundantly clear that the shenanigans will not continue on or he won't be in the NFL long.
I know its semantics but I really dont think Winston is a headcase. Vince Young is a head case, Jamarcus is a head case. Winston just makes some bone headed off the field decisions. Bb guns, crab legs etc. I think mentally he can play the qb position in the NFL. He handles all the stuff on the field with a certain ease but its his poor choices off the field that raises the flags. I think once he gets in the NFL and gets a handler he should be fine.

The guy looks like Byron Leftwich. Pass.
Did you read the article?

Fantastic read. This sums up Winston perfectly:

If Winston’s NFL evaluation were just about what’s on film, he’d be the no-doubt No. 1 pick. But you’d be hard-pressed to recall a QB prospect who makes such brilliant choices on the field and such poor ones off it.

I know its semantics but I really dont think Winston is a headcase. Vince Young is a head case, Jamarcus is a head case. Winston just makes some bone headed off the field decisions. Bb guns, crab legs etc. I think mentally he can play the qb position in the NFL. He handles all the stuff on the field with a certain ease but its his poor choices off the field that raises the flags. I think once he gets in the NFL and gets a handler he should be fine.
As an adult I think to myself, "how can he be that stupid?," but then I think back to when I was 19/20 and try to imagine being that famous. Having everything I say or do recorded by the closest person with a cell phone. Wondering if anyone showing an interest in me is genuine or just looking for their payday from TMZ. Hearing or reading people who've never met me judging me from behind their computer or microphone.

I don't think he's a headcase either. He's just a dumb kid. Just like most of us were. So, I admit to sympathizing with him a bit.

The guy looks like Byron Leftwich. Pass.
Did you read the article?

Fantastic read. This sums up Winston perfectly:

If Winston’s NFL evaluation were just about what’s on film, he’d be the no-doubt No. 1 pick. But you’d be hard-pressed to recall a QB prospect who makes such brilliant choices on the field and such poor ones off it.
I mean he resembles Leftwich in physical appearance.

I just want the Bucs to get their QB situation resolved and OLine fixed. Those are the two most glaring deficiencies on the team and are arguably the two most important components of a winning team.

Cmon Bucs! Nashville is pulling for you sunday! (Of course I'm sure we will blow the pick no matter what happens)

If they end up drafting #2 wtf do they do for OC?

I would assume any team trying to bring in Mariota will bring in an OC that runs a spread. What if you hire a spread OC & the Titans take him? Or you hire a pro-style OC & then the Titans take Winston 1st? Then you have to teach Mariota how to run a pro style offense...

If they end up drafting #2 wtf do they do for OC?

I would assume any team trying to bring in Mariota will bring in an OC that runs a spread. What if you hire a spread OC & the Titans take him? Or you hire a pro-style OC & then the Titans take Winston 1st? Then you have to teach Mariota how to run a pro style offense...
If we win there's a good chance we don't get a QB at all. Mariotta or Winston could go back, or the Bucs just really may not like one of them.

Such a terrible franchise, dammit.

Tennessee is on the board! Maybe the Colts pull the starters at half and Tennessee comes back.

Are they even guaranteed the #2 pick if they win? I don't know the strength of schedules but there are a few teams with 3 wins now.

Saints take the lead!!!! We are the worst!!! We sucked the best!!!

Users who are viewing this thread