What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2024 Detroit Lions: Draft complete. (7 Viewers)

Losing at home and putting yourself in the basement of your division seems to have triggered the desperation.
Division is still close, but I can see getting something for him if you’re going to let him walk anyway.  Hate to see him go. 

Division is still close, but I can see getting something for him if you’re going to let him walk anyway.  Hate to see him go. 
Don't get me wrong, I'm not a fan of the move.  It think this pretty much ends their 2018 season.   But if mgmt was already resigned to the fact that they couldn't make a run now, then I like getting something for an asset that was going to turn into a pumpkin.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a fan of the move.  It think this pretty much ends their 2018 season.   But if mgmt was already resigned to the fact that they couldn't make a run now, then I like getting something for an asset that was going to turn into a pumpkin.
Their season ended in the 3rd quarter of game 1

Complete agreement with you. 

It is my understanding that the Lions may have received a 3rd round compensation pick for Tate if he left in free agency in 2019.

So that is what the Eagles gave the Lions to have Tate for the rest of the season.

It's not a bad deal for the Lions because of the comp picks being at the end of the round its s pick upgrade and the Lions can sign free agents without the concern of losing the comp pick.

The Eagles still need to sign Tate to a new deal or maybe get comp picks for him if they dont.

As far as the relationship of the Lions trading for Harrison then trading Tate away, I dont see a conflict in planning here. They upgraded their defensive line. Then they got picks back for Tate. I dont see the two moves as being related. I dont think the Lions are trying to tank ot something 

It is my understanding that the Lions may have received a 3rd round compensation pick for Tate if he left in free agency in 2019.

So that is what the Eagles gave the Lions to have Tate for the rest of the season.

It's not a bad deal for the Lions because of the comp picks being at the end of the round its s pick upgrade and the Lions can sign free agents without the concern of losing the comp pick.

The Eagles still need to sign Tate to a new deal or maybe get comp picks for him if they dont.

As far as the relationship of the Lions trading for Harrison then trading Tate away, I dont see a conflict in planning here. They upgraded their defensive line. Then they got picks back for Tate. I dont see the two moves as being related. I dont think the Lions are trying to tank ot something 
Also, they get the pick a year earlier.

Not really.  The Lions were going to be a 7 or 8 win team with or without Tate. Plus Tate is an UFA after the season and the Lions were not going to extend a 31 slot guy for what he is going to want.

Last edited by a moderator:
Agreed and I dont fault Lions for remain firm on not taking less than 3rd to give up Tate. 

By offloading Tate, Galloday and Jones will benefit from this.  So will their pass-catching RBs particularly Kerryon Johnson. If anything, they can always assign Riddick as slot WR.

Sad to see him go, but it’s a good move. Don’t think we were ever going to extend him. 4.5 years of a very good WR with a 3rd rounder coming back at the end. 

Tate and most likely Ansah off the wage cap for next year with very little players on rising contracts will leave a lot of room to re-tool. Quinn has a decent track record with his 3rd round picks so far. 

We can lean on Golladay and Jones more now ( some weeks one of the 3 WR would be under-utilised ), and use Johnson and Riddick more. Plus, see what Jones and Powell have with regards to keepIng either of them. 

I think the 3rd rounder replaces the one we lost for Hand 

If the Lions win 9 games and end up a game out of the playoffs, it was a bad move.  If they end up with 7-8 wins, it will have been for the best.  

How much if any does Marvin Jones Jr move up?  Production wise, has been a WR3 so far.  And a fair amount of inconsistency.  

If the Lions win 9 games and end up a game out of the playoffs, it was a bad move.  If they end up with 7-8 wins, it will have been for the best.  
Ya I can live with this.  I think it's pretty damn unlikely they're getting to 9 wins though.  7 seems more likely.

Ya I can live with this.  I think it's pretty damn unlikely they're getting to 9 wins though.  7 seems more likely.
You have to look at the division.  Detroit has played within their division pretty well in recent years including 5-1 last year.   They still have 5 divisional games left and are only a game back.   I still had hopes this year, but it does not look like management did.  

You have to look at the division.  Detroit has played within their division pretty well in recent years including 5-1 last year.   They still have 5 divisional games left and are only a game back.   I still had hopes this year, but it does not look like management did.  
This isn't last year.  The division is much improved.  We'll see how they do the rest of the season I guess. 

This isn't last year.  The division is much improved.  We'll see how they do the rest of the season I guess. 
The Bears are.  The Vikes were better last year.  The Pack are still very inconsistent.  Records don't indicate this division is that good.  

I really don`t the Lions can go 6-3 the rest of the way. Looking at their schedule a 4-5 finish would be lucky.  That is splitting with Vikings and Bears and beating Bills and Cards.  Losing to Rams, Panthers and GB at GB.

Not really.  The Lions were going to be a 7 or 8 win team with or without Tate. Plus Tate is an UFA after the season and the Lions were not going to extend a 31 slot guy for what he is going to want.
Agree.  Seems a stretch to identify the Tate trade as being THE single variable which determines success or failure of the Lions season.  Passing game remains a strength, plus or minus QB's ability to minimize turnovers, regardless of presence / absence of Tate.

Expanding a bit, trading Tate for Snacks makes this team better.

Agree.  Seems a stretch to identify the Tate trade as being THE single variable which determines success or failure of the Lions season.  Passing game remains a strength, plus or minus QB's ability to minimize turnovers, regardless of presence / absence of Tate.

Expanding a bit, trading Tate for Snacks makes this team better.
Play Riddick in the slot like he did at ND.

Any thoughts from homers on Powell? Big preseason. Tate spoke well of him too. Curious to see if Patricia is really high on him.

Any thoughts from homers on Powell? Big preseason. Tate spoke well of him too. Curious to see if Patricia is really high on him.
http://nfldraftbible.com/scouting-report-brandon-powell-wr-florida/

he'll be serviceable in the slot but he is by no means a YAC king or going to replace tate.  good route runner tho.

I think 10 years of Matt Stafford is enough. Always liked Stafford but after a decade I am ready to turn the page. He is who we thought he is.

WTH was Stafford thinking on that lateral way down the field??  Looks like he was running the wishbone under Barry Switzer at OK.

That Stafford play was awful, but... if you move on from him, who is replacing him?

I would not be in favor of letting him go and going back to the Stoney Case days.

That Stafford play was awful, but... if you move on from him, who is replacing him?

I would not be in favor of letting him go and going back to the Stoney Case days.
They will need to draft his eventual replacement. But you are right, no more jeff komlos are needed at this time.

They will need to draft his eventual replacement. But you are right, no more jeff komlos are needed at this time.
Yeah, might be time to draft a developmental prospect rather than a 6th/7th round flyer like Ruddock, etc.

The Catch-22 is they need those earlier picks for so many other areas that it's tough to use one on a  guy who won't play for a few years, barring injury.  With so many needs, it's hard to make a Garropolo-type luxury pick.

LOL giving up on Stafford. He sucked today but he is the least of their problems. In a league where Flacco can win a SB and Eli can win two, Stafford is absolutely capable of leading the Lions to a championship with the right supporting cast.

LOL giving up on Stafford. He sucked today but he is the least of their problems. In a league where Flacco can win a SB and Eli can win two, Stafford is absolutely capable of leading the Lions to a championship with the right supporting cast.
Giving up?  It has been a decade.  

a decade with a league-worst running game and no defense the vast majority of those years.  He's not Brady, Rodgers, Brees, etc.  He's basically Matt Ryan, better than the Andy Dalton types.  I have no doubt he could go to a real franchise and win if we ever decided to let him go. 

I think he's been pretty good for the majority of that time. How many teams out there would gladly swap out their QBs for Stafford? I count around 12, plus another six with young unproven QBs who are clearly worse than Stafford. Agree with @jomar that he's in that group with Ryan, Rivers, Cousins as talented QBs who haven't won anything but could with the right supporting cast.

I think he's been pretty good for the majority of that time. How many teams out there would gladly swap out their QBs for Stafford? I count around 12, plus another six with young unproven QBs who are clearly worse than Stafford. Agree with @jomar that he's in that group with Ryan, Rivers, Cousins as talented QBs who haven't won anything but could with the right supporting cast.
Well hopefully we have a good draft next year and try to get him what he needs.

Exactly. I would not want to see them spending a 2nd or 3rd on a QB next year when they could use those picks to address other holes on the roster.
Stafford is not going nowhere so they have to fill other needs...but the Lions have been filling needs for the 10 seasons he has been here.

I don't think they would have won today with Tate.

Where it showed that not having Tate hurt them IMO is when Stafford mentioned needing to find a outlet when he’s under pressure as something he needs to improve on after that game.  

They need to give him a consistent outlet guy so it’s easier for him to find his outlet instead of using 7 different players for that role throughout the game.

Make that a slot guy like Tate was for him, or a satellite back type RB guy like James White is for Brady, doesn’t matter, they just gotta make it easier for him to consistently find his outlet under pressure.

Matt has finally been lionized...took 10 years...

Also while matty patty might turn into a fine hc....he is certainly showing his greenness with his poor posture.....

Rumblings this morning that Cooter is on the hot seat.  Cooter is not Matty-Pattys guy so a change is inevitable. The Lions offense is stagnant.

This all the way. I don’t even blame him for the TD that was run in either, nothing was working he was trying to find some way, anyway, to make a play happen after being sacked all afternoon. The ball made it to Kerryon’s hands, he’ll learn a small lesson to always be ready for any eventuality perhaps. 

Personally, I’ve been slightly  done with Jim Bob for a while. Understand why he was kept on  at the time and he’s been given the rope to run the offence by Patricia, and he’s come up short. I don’t really think the playbook has ever looked like much more than the Lombardi one with some Cooter-esque updating and personal touches sprinkled in. 

However, the old adage remains that there’s no saying that we’d get the right guy in to replace him. We aren’t likely to get who Patricia wants mid season, so then we are looking at next season and another season where one half of the side is having to bed into a new system. 

Tricky to know how to proceed

TartanLion said:
This all the way. I don’t even blame him for the TD that was run in either, nothing was working he was trying to find some way, anyway, to make a play happen after being sacked all afternoon. The ball made it to Kerryon’s hands, he’ll learn a small lesson to always be ready for any eventuality perhaps. 

Personally, I’ve been slightly  done with Jim Bob for a while. Understand why he was kept on  at the time and he’s been given the rope to run the offence by Patricia, and he’s come up short. I don’t really think the playbook has ever looked like much more than the Lombardi one with some Cooter-esque updating and personal touches sprinkled in. 

However, the old adage remains that there’s no saying that we’d get the right guy in to replace him. We aren’t likely to get who Patricia wants mid season, so then we are looking at next season and another season where one half of the side is having to bed into a new system. 

Tricky to know how to proceed
It's always tricky with this team. Change up and delay improvement rather than stagnate might be the only way to look at it. Cooter is one of last of the previous coach's guys so he probably gets the axe at the end of the year. 

jtp1982 said:
Where it showed that not having Tate hurt them IMO is when Stafford mentioned needing to find a outlet when he’s under pressure as something he needs to improve on after that game.  

They need to give him a consistent outlet guy so it’s easier for him to find his outlet instead of using 7 different players for that role throughout the game.

Make that a slot guy like Tate was for him, or a satellite back type RB guy like James White is for Brady, doesn’t matter, they just gotta make it easier for him to consistently find his outlet under pressure.
Just make Riddick the slot guy.

Da Guru said:
I think 10 years of Matt Stafford is enough. Always liked Stafford but after a decade I am ready to turn the page. He is who we thought he is.

WTH was Stafford thinking on that lateral way down the field??  Looks like he was running the wishbone under Barry Switzer at OK.
You guys are so erratic in your reactions to individual games.

Stafford is the best thing this team has going for it.  He had a bad game.  They had a bad game.

Users who are viewing this thread