What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2024 Detroit Lions: Getting ready for the draft in Motown. (13 Viewers)

The problem isnt the coaching or the players.

Its the curse the Ford family have on this team. Until the team is out of the Fords hands, it will never compete for anything.

The way they stole money from the city is reason enough to curse them. The bailouts they get in their car biz.

This family is so used to having things just given to them they have no idea what its like to work for anything and it shows in their franchise with the passion the team has from the top down. Look, Martha inherited the team from her Husband who both got their inheritance from their parents.

What have they worked for? And honestly, its all connected. Once the culture changes, things will change, the Fords must go for that to happen. They are the bad culture and they are a curse. 

This franchise forced Calvin and Barry to just quit because of the front office. Need I say more? 

Last edited by a moderator:
Speaking of Phillips, if I were the Lions I would try to hire him. Next season is make-or-break for both Patricia and Quinn, and the one thing Phillips is known for is executing quick turnarounds. But I sense that Patricia is too much of a control freak to hire a big name who would get all the credit if the D did improve. Hope I'm wrong.
Wade Phillips would be a great hire.  But as you said, it's too much to expect from the Lions.  Gotta give that 3 win HC full control, right?

Rams fire Wade Phillips. His rumored replacement? Joe Barry.

On behalf of Lions fans everywhere, may I be the first to say 

:lmao:   :lmao:   :lmao:   :lmao:   :lmao:   :lmao:
Wade Phillips would be a great hire based on past performance. If Lions draft a slew of defensive players to go with him, I would have some hope for next year with a healthy Stafford.

Moonlight said:
So was thinking Lions may have trouble hiring quality assistants due to the "playoff contender" mandate delivered by Martha. If team fails next year the whole ship goes down.

Of course playoff contender to the Fords may mean 7-9 or 8-8, if team is in contention as late as the last 4 games of the season.

It will be interesting to see who is hired and the length of their contract. 
meaty matty patty should  be patitioning the league to move the lions to the nfc east where having 4 or 5 wins is playoff contention take that to the bank bromigos 

Tua declaring for the draft is good news for the Lions. Time to trade down.
well people could get antsy and trade with the Redskins for Tua, maybe rivera doesn't like Haskins? and wants Tua? or they take chase young? Or Young slides to Lions?

Tua could also be damaged goods

Reports are that if Matt Rhule gets the Giants job, he'll bring in Lions QB coach Sean Ryan as his OC. I'll confess that I know nothing about Ryan. Would that be a big loss?

Yeah saw that, though I wouldn't imagine it would alter his OC plans.
And indeed, it didn't:

New Panthers coach Matt Rhule is intends to hire Lions QBs coach Sean Ryan as the Panthers OC, according to SNY's Ralph Vacchiano.

Rhule has power in choosing his own coaching staff after receiving a huge contract from Panthers owner Dave Tepper, and Ryan is at the top of his list. Ryan and Rhule have experience working together, and Ryan has since elevated Matthew Stafford to career-high efficiency levels. It would be an intriguing hire for Carolina regardless of who the quarterback is. Expect Rhule to fill out his coaching staff over the next week.

RELATED: 

Carolina Panthers

SOURCE: SNY.TV

Jan 7, 2020, 2:45 PM ET

Rams fire Wade Phillips. His rumored replacement? Joe Barry.

On behalf of Lions fans everywhere, may I be the first to say 

:lmao:   :lmao:   :lmao:   :lmao:   :lmao:   :lmao:
Sometimes I think NFL stands for Nepotism Favoritism League, at least in the coaching ranks. 

Speaking of Matt Rhule IMO he's the type of coach the Lions should have wanted to take a chance on. He rebuilt a perennial doghouse Temple into a champion and then built up the Baylor program.

When you decide to retain Quinn/Patricia you lose the chance to hire someone else who is out there who may be excellent coach and turn the Lions around.

I mentioned P.J. Fleck earlier as a coach the Lions should be interested in. He made Western Michigan successful and had a Cotton Bowl appearance. This year he turned Minnesota into a team to be reckoned with defeating Auburn in their bowl game.

For better or for worse I favor the idea of bringing in some one who has shown they can turn losing programs around. The Lions need someone with a strong personality who can sell that the future doesn't need to be the past.

Also Rivera was available and he has had success in the NFL.

Speaking of Matt Rhule IMO he's the type of coach the Lions should have wanted to take a chance on. He rebuilt a perennial doghouse Temple into a champion and then built up the Baylor program.

When you decide to retain Quinn/Patricia you lose the chance to hire someone else who is out there who may be excellent coach and turn the Lions around.

I mentioned P.J. Fleck earlier as a coach the Lions should be interested in. He made Western Michigan successful and had a Cotton Bowl appearance. This year he turned Minnesota into a team to be reckoned with defeating Auburn in their bowl game.

For better or for worse I favor the idea of bringing in some one who has shown they can turn losing programs around. The Lions need someone with a strong personality who can sell that the future doesn't need to be the past.

I'll agree on Rivera, as he has the NFL experience.  College guys can be a stretch sometimes.

I'll agree on Rivera, as he has the NFL experience.  College guys can be a stretch sometimes.
That's right you do not know if the college guys will translate. One thing for Fleck is he has NFL player experience.

On the other hand a lot of NFL coaches get retread into new positions when taking a chance on something new may be the better option.

McDaniels for example. He is a candidate for the Browns job.

But you know Marvin Lewis is still out there and he consistently won despite of the ownership dysfunction.

For sure but I somewhat understand.  When your job depends on your assistants they want to hire someone they know and trust. 
yeah but the league just continues to reward mediocrity from coaches who only got that first chance because of a family connection. 

It's one thing to want to work with people you know and trust. It's another thing for those people to continue to get repeated chances after failing miserably the first and second and third time. 

One potential piece of good news for the Lions from this offseason: With only the Cleveland vacancy remaining to be filled, there will be some good coaching candidates (Bienemy, Roman) left without a partner when the music stops. Considering that there's a very good chance Patricia doesn't make it to the end of next season, Detroit may have a head start in hiring one of them.

OK, maybe that's not "good" so much as "I'll take it".

yeah but the league just continues to reward mediocrity from coaches who only got that first chance because of a family connection. 

It's one thing to want to work with people you know and trust. It's another thing for those people to continue to get repeated chances after failing miserably the first and second and third time. 
Serious question: Have there been any blatant nepotism hires where the guy was clearly incompetent? I can think of lots of guys who probably benefited from family connections (Kyle Shananan, McVay, Rex Ryan) but those guys have all done pretty well on their own. Even someone like Jay Gruden, who was a mediocre HC, got the Washington job because he was solid as Cinci OC (ie, not a job he got from his brother). I read something once about how Mike Shanahan refused to hire Kyle on his staff until he had produced a Top 10 offense on his own, which he did at Houston. It was only at that point that he brought him to Washington.

Don't get me wrong, I'm still generally opposed to nepotism in all forms, and you make a key point above with the phrase "first chance". How many guys who might have been talented coaches never made it through the door because they didn't have a dad or a brother willing to open it for them? (Even in that Shanahan anecdote I related above, Kyle's first OC job was under Kubiak, who had played and coached under Mike.) Still, I'm having trouble thinking of any cases where a mediocre coach got a job solely, or even mostly, because of nepotism. Or to put it another way, you could wave a wand and make all nepotism disappear tomorrow and there would still be lots of mediocre retreads being hired.

Why would a college coach like Rhule even consider a spot like Detroit?

Cush decades long secure multi-million dollar gig versus a 2-3 year long suicide.  

Fleck would be incredible....at least would spark some excitement. 

Why would a college coach like Rhule even consider a spot like Detroit?

Cush decades long secure multi-million dollar gig versus a 2-3 year long suicide.  
College coach's do get burned out by the year round recruiting now.  It does get tiresome begging 16-17-18 year old kids to please attend your school and play football for you.

College coach's do get burned out by the year round recruiting now.  It does get tiresome begging 16-17-18 year old kids to please attend your school and play football for you.
Plus these guys are all hyper-competitive, and they want to prove they can succeed at the highest level. I doubt Saban ever goes back to the NFL, but if he does that will be the reason.

Now as to why you would leave college to take a job with the Lions, well yeah, that would be more of a head scratcher.  :bag:

Right, but if you are this guy you aren't going to Detroit/Cleveland.

Plus these guys are all hyper-competitive, and they want to prove they can succeed at the highest level. I doubt Saban ever goes back to the NFL, but if he does that will be the reason.

Now as to why you would leave college to take a job with the Lions, well yeah, that would be more of a head scratcher.  :bag:
Well there would be low expectations and after Quinntricia if you go 8-8 everybody is giddy.  Plus the Fords are probably the least demanding owners of their HC in the NFL.

I'm not sure I buy this.  There is a reason Detroit has never attracted a top caliber guy.

Would Mooch be the highest profile get?
Mooch was highly regarded at the time but never coached again after.  Bobby Ross came in highly regarded and quit.   Plus it seems every time there has been good coaches available the Lions are already committed to their HC. 

Now Quinntricia has expectations to make the playoffs or else.  Who will want to join a staff that will most likely be fired after next season?   Plus after next year Stafford will be going into his 13th season and has had broken bones in his back 2 years in a row.  I would not be surprised at all if Stafford retired before his deal is up.  Stafford has made more $$$$ that any NFL player as he came in under the old deal as the #1 pick, his wife has had a brain tumor, and he might just say screw it.  I want to be able to walk when I am 40.

Mooch was highly regarded at the time but never coached again after.  Bobby Ross came in highly regarded and quit.   Plus it seems every time there has been good coaches available the Lions are already committed to their HC. 

Now Quinntricia has expectations to make the playoffs or else.  Who will want to join a staff that will most likely be fired after next season?   Plus after next year Stafford will be going into his 13th season and has had broken bones in his back 2 years in a row.  I would not be surprised at all if Stafford retired before his deal is up.  Stafford has made more $$$$ that any NFL player as he came in under the old deal as the #1 pick, his wife has had a brain tumor, and he might just say screw it.  I want to be able to walk when I am 40.
This is why they should draft Tua

Da Guru said:

I still can't believe how much Sam Bradford made over the years. But yeah at some point, you can walk away right into a cushy broadcasting job

I'm a WMU alumni so I'm about as big a Fleck fan as there is, but imo he would not be a good NFL coach.  His approach is great for the college game but I don't think it would go over as well with paid professionals.

The Captain said:
This is why they should draft Tua
I'm actually on board with this assuming medicals come back OK, but it's a risky move and the defense needs a ton of help.  I guess I just hate the idea of taking a CB at #3.

The Lions need to either draft Tua at 3 or convince the rest of the league they are going to take him there to maximize trade offers. If  healthy, taking Tua would be a no-brainer for the long term outlook of the team but with Quinn having to "win now" to keep his job probably not something he will do.

The Lions need to either draft Tua at 3 or convince the rest of the league they are going to take him there to maximize trade offers. If  healthy, taking Tua would be a no-brainer for the long term outlook of the team but with Quinn having to "win now" to keep his job probably not something he will do.
That's the problem if Martha is serious about Q & P being on the hot seat. I think they draft what they consider the BPA that can help them now at #3 as well as #35.

Agree. It’s highly unlikely the Lions will draft Tua but they better make the league think they will. If Quinn at any point indicates that we don’t need a quarter back because we have Stafford, he should be fired on the spot. 

Agree. It’s highly unlikely the Lions will draft Tua but they better make the league think they will. If Quinn at any point indicates that we don’t need a quarter back because we have Stafford, he should be fired on the spot. 
Not totally disagreeing with you on the logic of it, but I still say there's no way a team with a 32-year-old franchise QB drafts his replacement with the third pick. These guys feel threatened when their teams pick anyone even within sniffing distance of being their eventual replacement. Hell, Ben got ticked off when the Steelers drafted Mason Rudolph in the 5th round! (If only he had known he had nothing to worry about.)

If you pick Tua at 3, you're basically announcing that Stafford is gone within a year (similar to KC with Smith/Mahomes). The difference, of course, is that Andy Reid had job security when he did that (and as it turned out, Smith handled it like a pro and KC made the playoffs). I don't see Quinntricia pulling a move like that in their make-or-break season.

I'm a WMU alumni so I'm about as big a Fleck fan as there is, but imo he would not be a good NFL coach.  His approach is great for the college game but I don't think it would go over as well with paid professionals.
Fleck does have pro football experience which would be of help in relating to the players and perhaps would tailor his approach to them. I'm not saying he's an ideal fit but Lions need someone with a strong personality who can establish a culture of winning and accountability. Whether its Fleck or an NFL coach with a history of winning the Lions need a whole lot of energy and belief in the future to overcome "the same old Lions" culture that oozes from the fanbase and organization.

Its a #######g disgrace to attend a Lions home game and have fans from GB and Chicago cheering louder than Lion fans.

Flecks next move will be to an SEC school. maybe he puts Tennessee or Florida back on the map, or replaces Kelly at ND. 

He is going to have Minnesota in the a big10 title game before Harbaugh does have Michigan in one. 

Flecks next move will be to an SEC school. maybe he puts Tennessee or Florida back on the map, or replaces Kelly at ND. 

He is going to have Minnesota in the a big10 title game before Harbaugh does have Michigan in one. 
As a wolverine fan it pains to say I agree completely. Wish Michigan has hired him. 

The Captain said:
As a wolverine fan it pains to say I agree completely. Wish Michigan has hired him. 
Until Ohio state is in the west,  making the championship game is meh.  Lots of mediocre teams have made it from that division recently. 

Users who are viewing this thread