What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Disc Golf Thread*** (2 Viewers)

I recently rediscovered my Buzzz.... not sure why that has been out of my bag for as long as it has, but it seems like I can put it wherever I want at this point.
Definitely adding one of these to my bag.  At the same time I have hard time justifying buying new discs because I’m always convinced my issues are with the archer, not the arrow.

Definitely adding one of these to my bag.  At the same time I have hard time justifying buying new discs because I’m always convinced my issues are with the archer, not the arrow.
I’ve got a problem at this point.  I’m backing up every disc that I like and getting different variations.  Like just last week I really needed to get that Nate Sexton Tour Series Firebird Glo, so I ordered it.    :mellow:

• Laughing
Reactions: Hoh
I’ve got a problem at this point.  I’m backing up every disc that I like and getting different variations.  Like just last week I really needed to get that Nate Sexton Tour Series Firebird Glo, so I ordered it.    :mellow:
I’m keeping it under control but the temptation is real.  I have about 30 discs and when my wife shakes her head I tell her she has no idea how bad it could be.  Since taking it up 4 years ago I have discovered that one of my friends from grade school and high school that I lost touch with the second we graduated has now become one of the big names in disc golf stamp art, so I’d like to add a bunch of his work to my collection at some point.

I recently rediscovered my Buzzz.... not sure why that has been out of my bag for as long as it has, but it seems like I can put it wherever I want at this point.
I just got home from a round. I've been killing it with a Buzzz that my brother "loaned" to me lately (he's not getting it back). I was thisclose to my first ace today with it (230 ft).

This is just one of those sports where I am getting much better even if my scores are not.  I’m making 3’s in completely different ways now.  I still can’t throw reliably over 280’ and people make it seem like it should be the easiest thing in the world.  I watched Eagle McMahon put it pin high in 2 on an 1100’ par 5.  I have never been in awe of pro athletes as I am with pro disc golfers.
I can't throw 300'. Idk why, but I max out at like 250. This guy is a friend of a friend, so he's going to come out and help us. Said by the time he's done working with us, he'll add 100' to our drives. And he doesn't throw anything faster than a 10.

I just got home from a round. I've been killing it with a Buzzz that my brother "loaned" to me lately (he's not getting it back). I was thisclose to my first ace today with it (230 ft).
I have rolled with a Comet/Meteor/Drone combo for several years now: there just wasn't room for the Buzzz... and I kinda fell in love with the Meteor - but I dumped it for now in favor of an old bar-stamped zBuzzz

I roll with a Buzz/Mako/JK aviar for most shots under 280. 
I recently added a Verdict to my bag when I need a little more stability and I’m really liking it. 

Glad to see Ricky is winning again after his bout of Lyme disease.  I feel like he is the biggest threat to McBeth for world #1.

Glad to see Ricky is winning again after his bout of Lyme disease.  I feel like he is the biggest threat to McBeth for world #1.
I think Eagle or Calvin is, but i guess Ricky is right there in the picture as well.

Happy National Disc Golf Day!

Who’s letting it fly today?
I wish I lived closer to some good courses. My local course has zero shade, it’s 90 degrees, and if I let it cool down later in the evening it always seems to get crazy windy. I still may try. 

Jomez Pro videos on YouTube are very much an unexpected pandemic side effect for me. And I really haven’t even played since law school. 

I think I prefer watching the women because I can’t relate to anything a Lizotte or McMahon does with my noodle arm. 

At least on the women’s side only Pierce and Catrina Allen seem to bomb it completely out beyond where I could imagine putting it. 

Jomez Pro videos on YouTube are very much an unexpected pandemic side effect for me. And I really haven’t even played since law school. 

I think I prefer watching the women because I can’t relate to anything a Lizotte or McMahon does with my noodle arm. 

At least on the women’s side only Pierce and Catrina Allen seem to bomb it completely out beyond where I could imagine putting it. 
Slomez! Nomez! 

yea...all the bombers are just incredible to watch.  But I like to think I can thrown some of the up shots they do from inside 250 to 200 feet.   I’m also amazed at the number of jump putts these guys make.  

better than joe buck.
I didn't realize initially that was Nate Doss. I've hit his brewery a few times down in Bend.

Ricky was on a mission.  He countered everything McBeast threw at him. Next few tournaments should be amazing if they get Eagle and Simon back playing with a full field.

Well, I didn’t exactly follow through with this.  I actually added (3) of them.  What a disc.  So predictable and consistent.  In late summer I got a lesson from a touring pro and the difference it has made in my game is amazing.  You can watch all the videos on YouTube but there is no substitute from in person instruction.  

My teenage boys have dipped their toes into the world of disc golf. This summer we started playing when we had downtime between baseball games on their tourney weekends. Rather than chilling in the hotel room just killing time, they had more fun playing disc golf. So far they haven't chosen to get serious about their gear, but I do catch them watching disc golf on youtube and I think they're really liking it. Personally I hope they continue to enjoy it - it's an activity they can enjoy almost anywhere they travel and in many cases it is free to play.

That is all. Carry on.

Been playing since mid-July, and my only regret is I didn't discover this sport until I was 47 years old. 

One of the unexpected perks is I now buy a new disc each time my wife brings home yet another effing throw pillow. Nice to have a counter punch after all these years.

Been playing since mid-July, and my only regret is I didn't discover this sport until I was 47 years old. 

One of the unexpected perks is I now buy a new disc each time my wife brings home yet another effing throw pillow. Nice to have a counter punch after all these years.
I was just a tad younger when I started taking it serious and I agree.  I played a couple of times in my 20s but just recently decided to really study up on the game and figure out proper form, flight ratings, learning the jargon (has its own language, I swear!), etc.  I was an avid, lifelong golfer and I haven’t picked up my clubs in a year, and I haven’t missed it.  Crazy.

We have several courses right around me. Colorado has been a big disc golf mecca for a long time. I used to play many, many years ago. Matter of fact, I came across my disc bag just a couple weekends back--I probably have 15 discs in there. I do miss playing, but I messed up my shoulder 15-20 years ago (I probably need to get it surgically repaired), but that and kids just had me lose interest. A group of us would go around the state especially the Boulder area and find courses and good shops to buy discs at. I do miss those days.

We had one local course where we primarily played and it is nothing like the sculptured courses you see competitions on. It is one of those you have to learn that the basket is behind that huge rock--type course. Several of the holes you can see the basket, but how do I get through those 20 trees and over that river? The opening hole was probably 75-100 yards out, 50-60 feet down surrounded by trees and if you go ob, it was a swamp. Just loved that course.It was tough, ate a lot of discs, but well maintained, 

We have several courses right around me. Colorado has been a big disc golf mecca for a long time. I used to play many, many years ago. Matter of fact, I came across my disc bag just a couple weekends back--I probably have 15 discs in there. I do miss playing, but I messed up my shoulder 15-20 years ago (I probably need to get it surgically repaired), but that and kids just had me lose interest. A group of us would go around the state especially the Boulder area and find courses and good shops to buy discs at. I do miss those days.

We had one local course where we primarily played and it is nothing like the sculptured courses you see competitions on. It is one of those you have to learn that the basket is behind that huge rock--type course. Several of the holes you can see the basket, but how do I get through those 20 trees and over that river? The opening hole was probably 75-100 yards out, 50-60 feet down surrounded by trees and if you go ob, it was a swamp. Just loved that course.It was tough, ate a lot of discs, but well maintained, 
Course variety is definitely one of the attractions of this for sure. Where I live, we have 3 very strong courses within about a 15 min drive of my house, with a spattering of 4-5 more which are okay 9-hole tracks, sufficient for a quick afternoon run. Really looking forward to hitting some things farther away once we return to something akin to normal times. Courses north of Milwaukee look like they provide some challenges for sure, and I can't wait to get to Dellwood (southwest Chicago suburb) soon.

The Disc Golf Pro Tour finale will be on ESPN2 on November 24th at 8 PM. 👍

I am lucky enough to live in Charlotte and play Hornets Nest and it will be doubly cool to see it in national tv. 

The Disc Golf Pro Tour finale will be on ESPN2 on November 24th at 8 PM. 👍

I am lucky enough to live in Charlotte and play Hornets Nest and it will be doubly cool to see it in national tv. 
Are you active in CDGC?

Finally putting it all together. Been hitting my lines most of the summer, but circle 1 putting has been my achilles heel. Shot -4 yesterday at one of my regular courses and had 90% circle 1 putting.....finally!

Is anyone else out there having trouble getting plastic???  Many of the regular sites and manufacturers are low on inventory because of the boom of disc golf during covid. Our local stores here in Portland have no inventory. It sucks.

Finally putting it all together. Been hitting my lines most of the summer, but circle 1 putting has been my achilles heel. Shot -4 yesterday at one of my regular courses and had 90% circle 1 putting.....finally!

Is anyone else out there having trouble getting plastic???  Many of the regular sites and manufacturers are low on inventory because of the boom of disc golf during covid. Our local stores here in Portland have no inventory. It sucks.
Definitely getting tough to get some discs. I’m one of the new players, just started last fall, and am enjoying it. I’ve played about 12 rounds total or so. I think I definitely need to do 2 things:

1) find a field somewhere and just practice throwing over and over

2) play a number of putter only rounds. 

I feel like my release angle and release point are all over the place and it’s frustrating. I know theoretically what I want my disc to do, but can’t make the throw to make it do that.

And this may get expensive if I can’t start getting better control. Lost 3 discs on Saturday  :bag:  Luckily one was found and returned already and my “home” course is pretty good with guys returning discs.

Definitely getting tough to get some discs. I’m one of the new players, just started last fall, and am enjoying it. I’ve played about 12 rounds total or so. I think I definitely need to do 2 things:

I feel like my release angle and release point are all over the place and it’s frustrating. I know theoretically what I want my disc to do, but can’t make the throw to make it do that.

And this may get expensive if I can’t start getting better control. Lost 3 discs on Saturday  :bag:  Luckily one was found and returned already and my “home” course is pretty good with guys returning discs.
Definitely invest in some field work. Get to know your discs! This clinic video from Nate Sexton is one of the best that I’ve found talking about the release point and some other important tips.  Good one to watch a few times. And also video yourself with your phone when you are doing field work so you can see what your body is doing.

https://youtu.be/7JpY1m9vx2A

You are on the right path here.  I think the quickest path to improvement is getting good at controlling slower discs.  Putters have the added bonus of being the easiest to control.  The best way to do that is field work and putter rounds. 

One key to having successful putter rounds is breaking the hole down to smaller chunks.  For instance if it’s a 300 foot hole pick a spot 150-200 feet from the pad and hit that landing zone.  As your distance increases you can move your target appropriately.  You also will have the added bonus of spending. Way less time looking for discs. 

I have been playing 20+ years and still do putter rounds if I feel my form getting ragged.  It’s a great tune up and after a few throws the flight of the putter diagnoses my form issues. 

you know what, I had not considered that... I tried to pick up a light weight D-Buzzz for a GB a few months back and could not find one for the life of me.  I guess that makes sense.  

P.S. I would up picking up a DX Manta for him... I knew nothing about the disc but the flight numbers and weight seemed right. 

One day, I'll actually get back to playing after over 10 years and not just compulsively watch the YouTube coverage every week (and liking Hack's disc golf pics on Facebook).

I have put together my beginner bag, but finding a way to get out and play a round with two young kids has been near impossible.  And I need to put in some field work first anyway.  I have managed to get out and do field work twice, and I actually probably throw backhand at least better now than when I tried to play in law school.  Much better form tutorials on YouTube and I understand the disc flight stuff much better.  I'll probably bite the bullet and get a practice basket for my yard as well.

Looking forward to Worlds coming up.

One day, I'll actually get back to playing after over 10 years and not just compulsively watch the YouTube coverage every week (and liking Hack's disc golf pics on Facebook).

I have put together my beginner bag, but finding a way to get out and play a round with two young kids has been near impossible.  And I need to put in some field work first anyway.  I have managed to get out and do field work twice, and I actually probably throw backhand at least better now than when I tried to play in law school.  Much better form tutorials on YouTube and I understand the disc flight stuff much better.  I'll probably bite the bullet and get a practice basket for my yard as well.

Looking forward to Worlds coming up.
What's in the bag???

Users who are viewing this thread