What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Amazon Prime (5 Viewers)

Hey n00bs....... It's ALEXA not Alexis. :hot:  

Be forewarned - If you're watching Arsenal or Chile on TV, the announcers saying "Alexis Sanchez" will wake her up. :loco:  
thats why I changed mine to "Echo" 

We have a family friend who's daughter is named Alexa and it would trigger whenever they were over. Also, whenever my wife or i talk about it, we refer to it as 'Alexa' so it doesn't trigger, but then "Echo" when we need it. 

for instance, if we are talking about shopping, we can casually talk like:
"we need more paper towels, should we order it though Alexa? [no trigger]"

"sure, good idea,...Echo order paper towels. [trigger]" 

otherwise, we would get interrupted by some snooty ##### saying "so....you want me to order paper towels?" before I agreed to it. 

Last edited by a moderator:
What do you cook in it?
corn, potatoes, rice, quinoa, beans, steamed veggies, any soup, chili and yogurt (yeah, my wife is very thrifty)....

Basically anything, it does all that stuff in a third of the time is takes on a stove top pot just because its a pressure cooker.  Plus its simple to clean and keeps the heat down in the kitchen. 

Grabbed this on a Lightning deal for $88 (reg $219, sale $119). Has great reviews, gonna keep one for myself and give one to the girlfriend for her apartment.

NexGadget Security Wireless 720P HD IP Camera System with Two Way Audio, Night Vision,pan & tilt, Motion Detection, 2 Pack

Was also thinking about jumping on a TV deal but Im gonna hold out for Black Friday.
Doubling back to give you HUGE THANKS for this recommendation!!!  They arrived yesterday and I am working from home in the basement, watching the front of my house for the arrival of my other Prime day stuff.  I thought I'd just use these for vacations, but find myself looking all the time.

Doubling back to give you HUGE THANKS for this recommendation!!!  They arrived yesterday and I am working from home in the basement, watching the front of my house for the arrival of my other Prime day stuff.  I thought I'd just use these for vacations, but find myself looking all the time.
does it have a "DVR" feature where you can save the recorded video to an SD card?

there is a limited number of names for 'Alexa' now but i hope that changes. 

What you can do though is change the name of your triggers....so instead of front door, you can set it to be "Alexa unlock 'the bat cave'"
Wait, wait back up a minute.  So you guys are seriously telling me that if you have the trigger "Alexa open front door", literally anyone could yell that loud enough and it would open the front door?

Wow.

I like the idea of using a clever phrase for unlocking the front door but what about a trigger for when you are home and one for when you are away? Can you attach a trigger such that "Alexa open front door" only works after you have triggered "Alexa I'm home"?

And with these fancy smart door locks can you connect to them from anywhere to allow someone access say a remote temporary unlock code or just pushing a button on your phone to unlock?  And how do you secure these from hackers? Does someone really have to get into your home network to access something like a smart door lock? What if it is a bluetooth smart door lock? I think they have those.

We are starting a huge home remodel and I really want to make sure I have all the info before I start wiring everything in Lord's creation to be "smart".  Speaking of "smart" so far Alexa doesn't really hold a candle to Google Assistant for voice recognition and real language commands.

Sorry for all the general smart home questions in here, if there is another thread let me know...maybe I should start one?

Wait, wait back up a minute.  So you guys are seriously telling me that if you have the trigger "Alexa open front door", literally anyone could yell that loud enough and it would open the front door?

Wow.

I like the idea of using a clever phrase for unlocking the front door but what about a trigger for when you are home and one for when you are away? Can you attach a trigger such that "Alexa open front door" only works after you have triggered "Alexa I'm home"?

And with these fancy smart door locks can you connect to them from anywhere to allow someone access say a remote temporary unlock code or just pushing a button on your phone to unlock?  And how do you secure these from hackers? Does someone really have to get into your home network to access something like a smart door lock? What if it is a bluetooth smart door lock? I think they have those.

We are starting a huge home remodel and I really want to make sure I have all the info before I start wiring everything in Lord's creation to be "smart".  Speaking of "smart" so far Alexa doesn't really hold a candle to Google Assistant for voice recognition and real language commands.

Sorry for all the general smart home questions in here, if there is another thread let me know...maybe I should start one?
sure if your alexa is sitting at your front door. It has a hard enough time hearing you in the same room sometimes so i wouldnt worry about it

sure if your alexa is sitting at your front door. It has a hard enough time hearing you in the same room sometimes so i wouldnt worry about it
Fair enough but I can imagine a situation with a main unit then various Taps and Dots interspersed throughout the house and therefore placement becomes a legitimate consideration.

Maybe I'm just hyper-paranoid, which doesn't mean that they're NOT out to get me, but I think a lot of don't consider these things before jumping in on stuff like this.

Alexa vs Siri vs Google Assistant speech recognition with foreign accents test.

Not super scientific but I already recognize a difference between Alexa and Google Assistant on my Pixel.  I am glad I have the Alexa but right now it's just a test project (got it during Prime day for $89) if I don't like the speech recognition I may pivot to Google as my home controller of choice.

Fair enough but I can imagine a situation with a main unit then various Taps and Dots interspersed throughout the house and therefore placement becomes a legitimate consideration.

Maybe I'm just hyper-paranoid, which doesn't mean that they're NOT out to get me, but I think a lot of don't consider these things before jumping in on stuff like this.
You are

Alexa "open the doors" could be set up to lock them as well. If you don't want your door locks opened via a voice trigger you dont have to have that. You can set it up to only LOCK

• Smile
Reactions: Ned

Just set up a special phrase like, "Open up the door b####! This is woofa-goofa with the green teeth, lemme in!"

• Smile
Reactions: Ned
You are

Alexa "open the doors" could be set up to lock them as well. If you don't want your door locks opened via a voice trigger you dont have to have that. You can set it up to only LOCK

Just set up a special phrase like, "Open up the door b####! This is woofa-goofa with the green teeth, lemme in!"
I get that but it just seems like a silly vulnerability that I am guessing many people do not consider.  I know I didn't until someone mentioned it in here.

This is an emerging technology. Eventually Alexa and Google Assistant and whatever else will come already pre-loaded on your door lock, or refrigerator or whatever and you will be able to speak with the devices directly and they will integrate with all devices seamlessly. But the security protocols are lagging way behind the introduction of the IoT and that is something more people should consider before jumping into the deep end with this stuff.  

Real  :tinfoilhat: stuff begins here: There are exploits and options for abuse in these devices that normals like us haven't even remotely considered. And it's not just these devices, there are more and more stories about the cyber-security of our nations infrastructure in general (good info from Vice with to links to stories about how it's not as bad as I think right now, but how it easily could be). We need to be more focused on cyber-security as a nation. I am still shocked on a daily basis when I read about people still just blindly clicking phishing links or ignorantly opening malicious executables in their email, aren't you?  And that stuff has consequences.

I totally get that I am thinking about the security end perhaps too much but if I'm going to have the opportunity to wire my whole home, which I want to do, it's better to lay out a good infrastructure plan to protect my data (and my home) now rather than try to integrate one later.

I get that but it just seems like a silly vulnerability that I am guessing many people do not consider.  I know I didn't until someone mentioned it in here.

This is an emerging technology. Eventually Alexa and Google Assistant and whatever else will come already pre-loaded on your door lock, or refrigerator or whatever and you will be able to speak with the devices directly and they will integrate with all devices seamlessly. But the security protocols are lagging way behind the introduction of the IoT and that is something more people should consider before jumping into the deep end with this stuff.  

Real  :tinfoilhat: stuff begins here: There are exploits and options for abuse in these devices that normals like us haven't even remotely considered. And it's not just these devices, there are more and more stories about the cyber-security of our nations infrastructure in general (good info from Vice with to links to stories about how it's not as bad as I think right now, but how it easily could be). We need to be more focused on cyber-security as a nation. I am still shocked on a daily basis when I read about people still just blindly clicking phishing links or ignorantly opening malicious executables in their email, aren't you?  And that stuff has consequences.

I totally get that I am thinking about the security end perhaps too much but if I'm going to have the opportunity to wire my whole home, which I want to do, it's better to lay out a good infrastructure plan to protect my data (and my home) now rather than try to integrate one later.
Get a Cujo to keep your network secure and sleep tight

:thumbup: Mine came yesterday too, theyre pretty sweet.

does it have a "DVR" feature where you can save the recorded video to an SD card?
Yes theres an SD card slot for pics and video.

Def can download songs with Amazon prime. Have about 200 songs on my phone I have downloaded. I download them all through the Amazon music app
Ok - I already know I'm an idiot but I still can't figure this out.  To clarify - is all your music available for download or just some.  I've added music to My Music and made some playlists - well known artists but songs I don't own - if I try to download any of these songs I get the following:

You can only download music you own.  The songs you selected can't be downloaded to your computer.  

So how are you guys doing this without buying the songs?  I'm now have Amazon Music Unlimited as I got the .99 cent deal for four months.  I'm shuked.

Ok - I already know I'm an idiot but I still can't figure this out.  To clarify - is all your music available for download or just some.  I've added music to My Music and made some playlists - well known artists but songs I don't own - if I try to download any of these songs I get the following:

You can only download music you own.  The songs you selected can't be downloaded to your computer.  

So how are you guys doing this without buying the songs?  I'm now have Amazon Music Unlimited as I got the .99 cent deal for four months.  I'm shuked.
And you're trying to download on your phone right?   I only get that message when downloading from my pc which makes sense I guess b/c why would you even need to do that.

What specific device are you trying to download to? 

1. Open Amazon music app (looks like this on my LG G4)

2. Hit the search in the lower right of the screen...let's say Johnny Cash...Hurt

3. Click the three dots to the right of the song and choose download

4. I get a message that the download Is complete and I now have it on my phone and can play it offline 

Download Amazon Music Unlimited Titles for Offline Playback

https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=202059540

:thumbup: Mine came yesterday too, theyre pretty sweet.

Yes theres an SD card slot for pics and video.
w/o going back through the pages, mind if I ask what you are talking about? I assume its a home security camera system?

I'm gently in the market for a system. We are doing a home extension and will install one afterward—but I did buy a cheap one to put on my shed to watch them do the construction while i'm at work.

And you're trying to download on your phone right?   I only get that message when downloading from my pc which makes sense I guess b/c why would you even need to do that.
Ok, now it makes sense - no, I was trying to download to my PC because I was trying to put them on my iWatch and I read that would be the only way to do it.  I just downloaded a few on my phone so at least I can do that but there doesn't seem to be an Amazon Music app for iWatch.  I had read you could download to your PC and somehow copy the files to iTunes and then transfer to your iWatch so I guess I can only do that for music I purchase.

Ok, now it makes sense - no, I was trying to download to my PC because I was trying to put them on my iWatch and I read that would be the only way to do it.  I just downloaded a few on my phone so at least I can do that but there doesn't seem to be an Amazon Music app for iWatch.  I had read you could download to your PC and somehow copy the files to iTunes and then transfer to your iWatch so I guess I can only do that for music I purchase.
Yeah think you are out of luck

Or where the stretch rack and ball gags are kept...you know, whatever you wanna keep locked away from your kids.
Catching up on this thread while eating breakfast this morning, I got up and left the phone on the table while going to go pee. Come back and my wife asks, " So what's this website you're on reading about stretch racks and ball gags?"

:lmao:

She was impressed with my quick thinking making up a story about amazon echos and voice activated locks and such. 

Catching up on this thread while eating breakfast this morning, I got up and left the phone on the table while going to go pee. Come back and my wife asks, " So what's this website you're on reading about stretch racks and ball gags?"

She was impressed with my quick thinking making up a story about amazon echos and voice activated locks and such. 
That sounds like an invitation to explore if you ask me.  I think you went in the wrong direction with your quick story.

So my FIFTH Fire HDX 8.9 arrived yesterday. Charged it overnight and, surprise, surprise, dead out of the box again. Amazon finally decided I had been through enough hell and agreed to replace it with a brand new one of these. Quite a step down in storage from what I had. But it has been relegated to second team as I decided I had put my wife through enough with the Fire and got her an iPad last weekend.

Glad that I could spice up breakfast. 

If you get a smart lock, I highly recommend making sure it has a key option.

My buddy's neighbor has one that is fully electronic and when it lost power he was totally locked out of his house.

So my FIFTH Fire HDX 8.9 arrived yesterday. Charged it overnight and, surprise, surprise, dead out of the box again. Amazon finally decided I had been through enough hell and agreed to replace it with a brand new one of these. Quite a step down in storage from what I had. But it has been relegated to second team as I decided I had put my wife through enough with the Fire and got her an iPad last weekend.
Did they give it to you at no cost?

These Amazon tablets are garbage.

This isn't for outdoors... anyone got the outdoor model?

DallasDMac said:
It does have the microSD slot if you need more storage.

It does have the microSD slot if you need more storage.
She may have mentioned that, I don't remember. Honestly, I'll likely use it to read books and that's about it. So, since it was relegated to second tier, I wasn't to worried about it. I just wanted some sort of resolution from Amazon.

I ordered those bamboo sheets someone shared on Prime day.  I have to say, they are pretty nice.  I was a little skeptical when they claimed to be softer than cotton, but I would have to say they are.  Feels like something between flannel and silk.  Very nice.

Users who are viewing this thread