What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Josh Gordon, KC (6 Viewers)

Is this thread a record for number of pages and the player doing nothing?  He may have beaten tatum bell
One thing in Gordon's favor is a more relaxed view of pot.  Has the rules changed?  I read somewhere the league isn't going to be as strict on pot, which in the past has been his biggest albatross.

Irrelevant. He's had what, 10,000 chances at this point & can't get his #### together. Would you expect your employer to keep giving you your job back if you kept coming in high or drunk? Of course not. He needs to find another line of work. You blew your chances to play a game for a living.
I'm not one of the top one hundred performers in the world at my field, so no I don't expect my spot to stay open through my addiction.  Gordon is.  That's what happens when you're a professional athlete.

Signing a one year deal with the Seahawks.
Good luck, Josh! Never stop trying to get it right.

eta- Still awaiting word on reinstatement.

Last edited by a moderator:
Rotoworld take:

Seahawks re-signed WR Josh Gordon to a one-year, $1 million contract.

Gordon is currently suspended for violating both the league's substance-abuse and PED policies but is awaiting results from the league after applying for reinstatement. The 29-year-old merely saw 11 targets in five games (and 39% snaps) with the Seahawks last year but does offer a veteran presence behind both Tyler Lockett and D.K. Metcalf. Serving his sixth suspension since 2013, Gordon remains a risky flier in the final rounds of any format.

SOURCE: Jeremy Fowler on Twitter

Sep 3, 2020, 11:09 AM ET

Jokes about the undying Gordon topic aside, I hope this means Gordon is clean & sober, and had a chance to get his life back together. He seems like a decent human being. Being an addict doesn’t make someone a bad person - it’s a disease like many others. 

i won’t touch him in FF tho. 

Jokes about the undying Gordon topic aside, I hope this means Gordon is clean & sober, and had a chance to get his life back together. He seems like a decent human being. Being an addict doesn’t make someone a bad person - it’s a disease like many others. 

i won’t touch him in FF tho. 
Aren't they relaxing the pot rules?

https://twitter.com/JayGlazer/status/1334597870645727233

https://twitter.com/MikeGarafolo/status/1334598469642805248

Mike Garafolo @MikeGarafolo

#Seahawks WR Josh Gordon reinstated, as @JayGlazer said. He’s back.
Josh Gordon has been reinstated by the NFL. 

Gordon, unbelievably just 29 years old, is coming back from his fifth NFL suspension. He was suspended without pay for violating NFL policies on performance-enhancing substances and substances of abuse. In September, Gordon signed a one-year, $1 million deal with the Seahawks. Gordon, who had seven catches on 11 targets for the Seahawks in 2019, won't be eligible to practice with the team until December 21. That puts him on track to play in the Seahawks' Week 15 game against Washington. It's hard to imagine a scenario in which Gordon will be useful for fantasy purposes. His 87-catch, 1,646-yard 2013 season was a lifetime ago.

The centerpiece of my 2013 Championship was getting Gordon in the 8th round (think he was suspended the first 2 games of his second year.) Back then we only 4 playoff teams in our 12-teamer, I went from 3-5 (9th) to playoff bound by winning the last 4 in the regular season.

57 target
36-774-5 + 1-34-0

Birth certificate may say 29 but that mans veins and liver gotta be at least 46.

NFL Network's Tom Pelissero reports Josh Gordon is expected to rejoin the Seahawks on Monday. 

Gordon last played in Week 15 of 2019. He caught a single pass for 58 yards in that game. Gordon played a minor role in Seattle's offense but did give the team an extra weapon on the outside. Pelissero added that he's at 238 pounds with seven percent body fat. If that's even close to accurate, Gordon looks to have retained all of his freakish athleticism while away from football. He'll likely be a more useful piece for the Seahawks than for any fantasy roster. 

SOURCE: Tom Pelissero on Twitter

Dec 20, 2020, 9:00 AM ET

Josh Gordon had a setback in his battle with substance abuse and now won’t be able to practice or play indefinitely per Tom Pelissero 

Link

“#Seahawks WR Josh Gordon had a setback in his battle with substance abuse and now won’t be allowed to practice or play indefinitely, per sources. As @bcondotta reported, the NFL informed the team this morning Gordon hadn't complied with terms of his conditional reinstatement.”

NFL Network's Tom Pelissero reports Josh Gordon failed the terms of his conditional reinstatement.

This is terrible news. Gordon was reinstated earlier this month and was set to rejoin the Seahawks for the stretch run. That won't happen now. Gordon has reportedly suffered a setback with substance abuse, and he can no longer practice or play in games indefinitely. If Gordon did in fact have a substance abuse setback and not something more minor within the terms of his conditional reinstatement, then his days in the NFL are likely done. Gordon last played in Week 15 of 2019.

- Rotoworld

Seriously, at some point, it's time to cut bait. He's never going to beat his addiction as long as the NFL keeps enabling him by handing this guy money.

Seriously, at some point, it's time to cut bait. He's never going to beat his addiction as long as the NFL keeps enabling him by handing this guy money.
Some guy in our deep dynasty league added him to his roster earlier in the year after I had inherited a team and dropped him.

I just shook my head when the guy added him. I oughta know. He cost me two redraft championships over the years, if not three. 

Some guy in our deep dynasty league added him to his roster earlier in the year after I had inherited a team and dropped him.

I just shook my head when the guy added him. I oughta know. He cost me two redraft championships over the years, if not three. 
Don't worry...Mostert will fill in nicely costing championships.

Don't worry...Mostert will fill in nicely costing championships.
Oof. What to say? He cost me nothing this year in redraft. I grabbed him really late in a Superflex, but other than that, not really a cost to him for his ADP. I held him on IR and there were plenty of spots. Any problem was due to my usage and discretion, not some vague promise of being okay to go. I know high ankle sprains take months to truly recover from. Seriously, anybody with Mostert trouble didn't look up that he'd missed half a year the year before and hadn't watched his style of running, which lends itself to getting creamed. I knew that going in, so it was no surprise when it happened. For dynasty, I was able to trade him at the end of the regular season for a second-rounder and didn't invest a ton to get him to begin with.

So I'm not sure what he cost people. At his ADP, one got quite a bit out of him for those first magical weeks.

Josh Gordon signed with the Zappers of the Fan Controlled Football league. 

It's one of the sadder sentences ever written about a player who once upon a time looked like an all-time great. After bouncing in and out of the NFL for eight years, Gordon, 29, joins the FCF, headlined by former Browns QB Johnny Manziel. FCF games are played seven-on-seven in a "high tech studio arena and streamed live on Twitch," according to the league's site. Fans can apparently call plays for FCF teams -- like a video game with human beings. Gordon most recently played for the Seahawks, and failed the terms of his conditional reinstatement in late December, effectively ending his NFL career. Gordon in 2013 led the NFL in receiving yards. 

RELATED: 

Seattle Seahawks

SOURCE: Adam Schefter on Twitter 

Feb 27, 2021, 3:27 PM ET

Seahawks released WR Josh Gordon. 

It's a formality with a player who didn't suit up in 2020 because of continued suspensions. Gordon was finally set to return in December before getting banned yet again. The supremely-talented 29-year-old has made only 28 appearances since 2014. He announced last week he was signing on with the "Fan Controlled Football league," where Twitch users can call plays with real-life players. Gordon turns 30 next month. His long, strange NFL trip would seem to be at an end. 

RELATED: 

Seattle Seahawks

Mar 4, 2021, 4:28 PM ET

People are going to look back and wonder exactly what drug testing was saving Josh Gordon from. It's not like a safety issue for fans or other players. He's not a pilot in the sky, responsible for the well-being of so many. The NFL, of all places, doesn't need drug testing to protect its franchised employers. They know if a guy is high and missing meetings. And if they don't, what's that say about his talent level? Those highlights from 2013 will never be forgotten. He was just a house.

Isn't it more that the myriad of whatever JG was putting in his body, could have potentially covered up performance enhancing substances?

That's why they don't allow it in other sports.

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports free agent WR Josh Gordon submitted his reinstatement letter to NFL commissioner Roger Goodell.

Gordon, who has made only 28 appearances since 2014, was most recently released by Seattle after he suffered a setback with substance abuse and sought immediate help last December. The 30-year-old has reportedly passed all of his random drug tests the past three months and hopes to sign and participate with a team ahead of training camp. Gordon led the league in receiving yards in 2013 but has since struggled to keep reinstated, even opting to play a handful of games in the Fan Controlled Football league this offseason. He last appeared in Week 15 of the 2019 season.

SOURCE: Adam Schefter on Twitter

Jul 2, 2021, 4:04 PM ET

I for one, will always root for the man personally and professionally. I only know we'll likely be disappointed again. I don't think he'll find any peace until long after his playing days -- or the situations within which he coasts by because of his former talent -- are over and done with.

You'll likely never catch me not wishing him luck unless he turns to violence in some form.

Staying clean, in absolute elite shape, dedicating himself to his craft all offseason, and got the shark pool hoping for his demise. 

Sensational. 
It's not that anyone hopes for his demise, but every time gets another chance you just know it's a mirage.  You know, fool me once.....For his future's sake I hope he finds himself, but for fantasy football I don't think so.  I've picked him off the waiver wire before, but he's not even worth that any longer IMO

In real football terms, best of luck to the guy - sincerely. In fantasy terms, I'm not sure anyone's gotten more juice out of a great season than he has. 2013 is a long time ago... 

It's not that anyone hopes for his demise, but every time gets another chance you just know it's a mirage.  You know, fool me once.....For his future's sake I hope he finds himself, but for fantasy football I don't think so.  I've picked him off the waiver wire before, but he's not even worth that any longer IMO
He's now thirty. The ship has sailed. It was fine to hope back when he was twenty-six, twenty-seven. He's not that anymore.

Maybe this is me being an idiot but if he’s completely free I’m happy enough to swap him in at the end of my bench for another guy who’s unlikely to make my regular season roster.

Quick profit opportunity if he signs in Atlanta/GB/KC/maybe DET. Expected return is zero but so is cost and the upside is asymmetric.

Also while it’s reasonable to have a low expectation of him panning out in a fantasy relevant way I think there’s a reasonably high chance he gets signed and you can flip there for more than you paid if you don’t believe

EDIT: I think if you paid for him and got burned before it’s easy to say “never again” but that seems like a blind spot when talking about a near-zero investment now off the off-season wire with late priority or with the last pick in the draft

EthnicFury said:
EDIT: I think if you paid for him and got burned before it’s easy to say “never again” but that seems like a blind spot when talking about a near-zero investment now off the off-season wire with late priority or with the last pick in the draft
Even when on the field he hasn't been good since 2013.  That's 8 years ago.  He was only mildly relevant in 2018 with 700 yards and 4 TDs.  Plus he's 30 now.  What makes you think he is going to do anything now?  I can think of better dart throws, even for the end of my bench.

Users who are viewing this thread