What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Nick Foles era (3 Viewers)

'SWC said:
he probably will not get a spy like mike vick did probably get sometimes which might make it a little harder on mccoy and whichever wr they want to put an extra guy on or bracket now but foles of good passes i just made up the nickname feel free to use it brohans just cant be any worse as a passer than vick so who knows maybe if he is accurate and they have to drop some guys back into coverage that you maybe did not have to with vick because he just threw the ball all over the place and sometimes right to a good d player even when a guy was wide open that could take men out of the box basically i do not know which way it will go which is frustrating
Not sure how much you have been watching but they usually blitz 6 or 7 on Vick he pump fakes a d either scrambles or ducks. Rarely gets ball out in time. The days of DC's being scarred of him have been gone. There is a book on how to stop him with ease- make hike read blitz and he craps his pants
Yes, Reid telling Vick to stop running has made it easier for opposing defenses to plan against him.

NFL Network's Jeff Darlington reports neither Eagles quarterback has been made aware of a depth-chart change as of Monday.

Michael Vick and waiting-in-the-wings rookie Nick Foles are still awaiting clarity on the situation after coach Andy Reid's day-after press conference was canceled due to Hurricane Sandy. Darlington suggests the storm could actually force the Eagles to stick with Vick for one more week with club headquarters shut down for at least Monday, and possibly Tuesday, as well.

Source: Jeff Darlington

Looks like mad dog vick gets another week

NFL Network's Jeff Darlington reports neither Eagles quarterback has been made aware of a depth-chart change as of Monday.Michael Vick and waiting-in-the-wings rookie Nick Foles are still awaiting clarity on the situation after coach Andy Reid's day-after press conference was canceled due to Hurricane Sandy. Darlington suggests the storm could actually force the Eagles to stick with Vick for one more week with club headquarters shut down for at least Monday, and possibly Tuesday, as well. Source: Jeff Darlington Looks like mad dog vick gets another week
I expected this anyway. Have Vick get one last hoorah on MNF and if he plays mediocre or the team just flatout loses, goto Foles and be done with the season.

As a Vick owner in a dynasty with the option of picking up Foles, I need to hear as much info/opinions on Foles as possible! I haven't had the chance to watch the kid play in college and his preseason play is just that...preseason play! The highlights I have seen of him look good but he sure looks like a "string bean" out there!!! How's his arm strength? Would anyone care to opine on this kid's potential NFL future??? I'm sure I'll end up grabbing this kid off the ww but any and all info would be greatly appreciated....

WB

'SWC said:
he probably will not get a spy like mike vick did probably get sometimes which might make it a little harder on mccoy and whichever wr they want to put an extra guy on or bracket now but foles of good passes i just made up the nickname feel free to use it brohans just cant be any worse as a passer than vick so who knows maybe if he is accurate and they have to drop some guys back into coverage that you maybe did not have to with vick because he just threw the ball all over the place and sometimes right to a good d player even when a guy was wide open that could take men out of the box basically i do not know which way it will go which is frustrating
Not sure how much you have been watching but they usually blitz 6 or 7 on Vick he pump fakes a d either scrambles or ducks. Rarely gets ball out in time. The days of DC's being scarred of him have been gone. There is a book on how to stop him with ease- make hike read blitz and he craps his pants
Yes, Reid telling Vick to stop running has made it easier for opposing defenses to plan against him.
I don't know about that, he still runs 7-10 times a piece

He's tall (6' 4", I believe), which allows him to see over lineman and downfield. He has great vision, and he's patient. He's a pretty traditional pocket passer, he is not Vick.

That being said, if you've seen him play, you've seen the mechanics. His natural throwing style needs little to no adjusting. He's got a quick release. He doesn't have the strongest arm, but he was able to put up significant yards with Gronk out and really only one viable WR (Javon Criner, who is also a rookie this year). Playing under Mike Stoops in a pro style offense in college, I'm sure will really help him transition to the pros. He could be good THIS YEAR.

Look at what Matt Scott did to USC this weekend. That guy was Foles' backup.

IMO, he'll be the best QB to ever come out of Arizona. That's not that bold though, since Jake Plummer currently holds that title.

Last edited by a moderator:
He's tall (6' 4", I believe), which allows him to see over lineman and downfield. He has great vision, and he's patient. He's a pretty traditional pocket passer, he is not Vick.That being said, if you've seen him play, you've seen the mechanics. His natural throwing style needs little to no adjusting. He's got a quick release. He doesn't have the strongest arm, but he was able to put up significant yards with Gronk out and really only one viable WR (Javon Criner, who is also a rookie this year). Playing under Mike Stoops in a pro style offense in college, I'm sure will really help him transition to the pros. He could be good THIS YEAR.Look at what Matt Scott did to USC this weekend. That guy was Foles' backup.IMO, he'll be the best QB to ever come out of Arizona. That's not that bold though, since Jake Plummer currently holds that title.
He took a beating as well. So be is used to that part of itWas Buckner injured last year?

He's tall (6' 4", I believe), which allows him to see over lineman and downfield. He has great vision, and he's patient. He's a pretty traditional pocket passer, he is not Vick.That being said, if you've seen him play, you've seen the mechanics. His natural throwing style needs little to no adjusting. He's got a quick release. He doesn't have the strongest arm, but he was able to put up significant yards with Gronk out and really only one viable WR (Javon Criner, who is also a rookie this year). Playing under Mike Stoops in a pro style offense in college, I'm sure will really help him transition to the pros. He could be good THIS YEAR.Look at what Matt Scott did to USC this weekend. That guy was Foles' backup.IMO, he'll be the best QB to ever come out of Arizona. That's not that bold though, since Jake Plummer currently holds that title.
Was listening to FF show tonight and they had some "expert" who said Foles graded better than Luck and RG3 in the preseason - and it wasn't close.

Was listening to FF show tonight and they had some "expert" who said Foles graded better than Luck and RG3 in the preseason - and it wasn't close.
Well that "expert" is a crackhead - and it's not even close.

TY for the great scouting report, Gordon!!! That helped me out a ton yet I'm hesitant to even get somewhat excited about his future as a QB1! I'm in a position where I almost have to put him on my dynasty roster, as I only have Vick and Weeden at the QB position. Obviously my current strategies for finding my next QB1 are the "lottery ticket" and "lightning in a bottle" strategies!!! It will be difficult for me to watch many of his games should he get the chance, but it's info like this that makes it possible to form intelligent (hopefully) scouting reports and then decision's...TY!!!

WB

He's tall (6' 4", I believe), which allows him to see over lineman and downfield. He has great vision, and he's patient. He's a pretty traditional pocket passer, he is not Vick.

That being said, if you've seen him play, you've seen the mechanics. His natural throwing style needs little to no adjusting. He's got a quick release. He doesn't have the strongest arm, but he was able to put up significant yards with Gronk out and really only one viable WR (Javon Criner, who is also a rookie this year). Playing under Mike Stoops in a pro style offense in college, I'm sure will really help him transition to the pros. He could be good THIS YEAR.

IMO, he'll be the best QB to ever come out of Arizona. That's not that bold though, since Jake Plummer currently holds that title.
except they went to different schools.

He was probably the most pro ready QB coming out of the draft.

except they went to different schools.
I meant the state. Both ASU and U of A (and NAU, if it matters).

If Vick faces the Saints and torches them he keeps the job for at least one week. If you wanted to start a rookie, wouldn't this be the team you start him? If he sucks, you can't just pull the plug on him in one week.

Foles was? No just...STAPHHHH. If anything he was the "developmental player" that Reid was supposed to groom over the next 2 or 3 seasons.

Foles was? No just...STAPHHHH. If anything he was the "developmental player" that Reid was supposed to groom over the next 2 or 3 seasons.
Was too.

Tall. Played his senior year. Played his whole college career in a pro style offense. Natural mechanics.

Who else had all that?

Am I saying he's better than Luck? No. I am saying he was PROBABLY the most ready to play in the pros, coming out of the draft.

Tall. Played his senior year. Played his whole college career in a pro style offense. Natural mechanics.

Who else had all that?

Am I saying he's better than Luck? No. I am saying he was PROBABLY the most ready to play in the pros, coming out of the draft.
The guy who went #1 overall in the draft?

pre-season? really?

^..problem is Reid trying to force him into being a pocket passer. Its the same thing he did with McNabb. His legs were a great weapon because he kept defenses honest. Now when they don't gameplan with that in mind anymore, they have him chuck the ball up 30+ times...that is something Vick wasnt and honestly, you don't need to do that when you have a RB like McCoy..its not like he is some slouch back there.  Having a bad offensive line is just making this even worse. <br><br>McCoy had 8 rushing plays in the 1st half...most of them at the start of the 2nd quarter on a TD drive in which the game was close...he ended with 16 with 7 of them being in garbage time in the 4th...who the hell runs the ball that much in the 4th quarter when you are down? He just ran out the clock for the Falcons basically lol.
totally agree.but when your QB keeps getting hurt or fumbling the ball when he runs, that's gonna force you to change things up. This to me was the beginning of the end for Vicks Career. Now he's on the verge of losing his job. I expect if Vick keeps his job, he will try to go back to his old running ways, and it may work for a while.I guess we will have to see what happens.

Who else had all that?

You mean the guy who played in a spread offense and left after his Junior year?

Who else had all that?

For one, he was a redshirt Junior, and started just as many seasons as Foles did. And two, you clearly aren't familiar with Stanford football if you think they ran a spread offense with Luck. Jim Harbaugh ran a smash mouth offense with Stanford that relied heavily on using RBs and TEs. They ran the ball a lot more than they passed and they actually used a fullback a tonne, which is not even a position in spread offenses. And after Harbaugh left for Luck's junior season, Stanford made their offensive coordinator under Harbaugh the head coach, and he of course ran the exact same offense.

Who else had all that?

For one, he was a redshirt Junior, and started just as many seasons as Foles did. And two, you clearly aren't familiar with Stanford football if you think they ran a spread offense with Luck. Jim Harbaugh ran a smash mouth offense with Stanford that relied heavily on using RBs and TEs. They ran the ball a lot more than they passed and they actually used a fullback a tonne, which is not even a position in spread offenses. And after Harbaugh left for Luck's junior season, Stanford made their offensive coordinator under Harbaugh the head coach, and he of course ran the exact same offense.
:goodposting:

Right. It was supposed to be Matt Scott at Arizona. But Foles was too good. He was a natural, and you had to start him over Scott. That's why Scott is playing now as a 5th year senior. Different coach now too, but ...

Yeah ... Luck was in a spread offense that saw most snaps out of the shotgun. In the pros, QBs are expected to be more versatile ... play option pass, etc. Foles, who won the job his sophomore year, continued to play in a Stoops, pro style ... I formation, 2 wideouts, standard offense like most teams in the NFL run. Worked great when we had a TE named Rob Gronkowski, but the top WRs were never really there. Gronk, was hurt his whole senior year too. So Foles found Criner.

Look, I'm not saying he's better than Luck. I'll say it right now, Luck is better. However, as fresh faced rookies coming out of the draft ... if you wanted a guy ... not to develop, but that you can just plug in and go with ... Nick Foles maybe the guy most ready to do that.

That's all I was saying. He was the most ready to play in the pros.

As a Giants fan, I am hoping the Eagles org is too stupid to realize how good Foles is. It's possible. I think Foles gives them a better chance to win, this year. Looks like fat Andy is going down with the Vick.

Right. It was supposed to be Matt Scott at Arizona. But Foles was too good. He was a natural, and you had to start him over Scott. That's why Scott is playing now as a 5th year senior. Different coach now too, but ...Yeah ... Luck was in a spread offense that saw most snaps out of the shotgun. In the pros, QBs are expected to be more versatile ... play option pass, etc. Foles, who won the job his sophomore year, continued to play in a Stoops, pro style ... I formation, 2 wideouts, standard offense like most teams in the NFL run. Worked great when we had a TE named Rob Gronkowski, but the top WRs were never really there. Gronk, was hurt his whole senior year too. So Foles found Criner.Look, I'm not saying he's better than Luck. I'll say it right now, Luck is better. However, as fresh faced rookies coming out of the draft ... if you wanted a guy ... not to develop, but that you can just plug in and go with ... Nick Foles maybe the guy most ready to do that.That's all I was saying. He was the most ready to play in the pros.As a Giants fan, I am hoping the Eagles org is too stupid to realize how good Foles is. It's possible. I think Foles gives them a better chance to win, this year. Looks like fat Andy is going down with the Vick.
Ironically, had he played in a spread offense, it would be more in tune with what Andy runs these days. I formation, double TE is like a halfback option in Reid's system.

Right. It was supposed to be Matt Scott at Arizona. But Foles was too good. He was a natural, and you had to start him over Scott. That's why Scott is playing now as a 5th year senior. Different coach now too, but ...Yeah ... Luck was in a spread offense that saw most snaps out of the shotgun. In the pros, QBs are expected to be more versatile ... play option pass, etc. Foles, who won the job his sophomore year, continued to play in a Stoops, pro style ... I formation, 2 wideouts, standard offense like most teams in the NFL run. Worked great when we had a TE named Rob Gronkowski, but the top WRs were never really there. Gronk, was hurt his whole senior year too. So Foles found Criner.Look, I'm not saying he's better than Luck. I'll say it right now, Luck is better. However, as fresh faced rookies coming out of the draft ... if you wanted a guy ... not to develop, but that you can just plug in and go with ... Nick Foles maybe the guy most ready to do that.That's all I was saying. He was the most ready to play in the pros.As a Giants fan, I am hoping the Eagles org is too stupid to realize how good Foles is. It's possible. I think Foles gives them a better chance to win, this year. Looks like fat Andy is going down with the Vick.
Ironically, had he played in a spread offense, it would be more in tune with what Andy runs these days. I formation, double TE is like a halfback option in Reid's system.
I'm still trying to figure out why Arizona didn't draft Foles. I think ASU fans hate him too much. Prolly get booed in his own stadium.

Nick Foles will be a productive quarterback under Andy Reid. He's quick with a check down and his short passing is accurate. but Just not right now. the OL is in shambles and Vick, for all his flaws, is dealing with a huge amount of pressure. More than what foles could handle now or perhaps ever.

'OG_GF said:
Kirk Cousins might have something to say about this. Foles is more raw than Cousins but has better potential with a better arm. Also, Foles played in a somewhat spread offense in college as well so not sure it really was all that pro style. And not sure what pro style means anymore. How often does Brady, Manning, or Brees go under center? Not that you don't have to be able to play under center but the spread college offense isn't that different then what they'll do in the NFL.

'OG_GF said:
Right. It was supposed to be Matt Scott at Arizona. But Foles was too good. He was a natural, and you had to start him over Scott. That's why Scott is playing now as a 5th year senior. Different coach now too, but ...

Yeah ... Luck was in a spread offense that saw most snaps out of the shotgun. In the pros, QBs are expected to be more versatile ... play option pass, etc. Foles, who won the job his sophomore year, continued to play in a Stoops, pro style ... I formation, 2 wideouts, standard offense like most teams in the NFL run. Worked great when we had a TE named Rob Gronkowski, but the top WRs were never really there. Gronk, was hurt his whole senior year too. So Foles found Criner.

Look, I'm not saying he's better than Luck. I'll say it right now, Luck is better. However, as fresh faced rookies coming out of the draft ... if you wanted a guy ... not to develop, but that you can just plug in and go with ... Nick Foles maybe the guy most ready to do that.

That's all I was saying. He was the most ready to play in the pros.

As a Giants fan, I am hoping the Eagles org is too stupid to realize how good Foles is. It's possible. I think Foles gives them a better chance to win, this year. Looks like fat Andy is going down with the Vick.
:lol: I'm not sure why you're continuing to try to push the idea that Luck played in a spread offense when it obviously isn't true if you bothered to look at the Stanford team statistics in any year Luck played in or even watched a single Andrew Luck Stanford highlight clip on youtube. Not only that, but seeing as Arizona passed the ball over 60% of the time in 2011, I'm pretty sure they weren't running an I formation very often. Just take a look at

; it actually looks like they are running a spread offense with them running primarily shotgun formation with 4 wideouts with 1 RB; I certainly didn't see any I formation.

Vick announced as starter. Immediately in my starting lineup vs the saints.
How ironic that Mike Vick will be on a short leash.
or a long one...Eagles | Sticking with Michael Vick long-term?

Thu, 01 Nov 2012 08:59:41 -0700 Philadelphia Eagles head coach Andy Reid said QB Michael Vick will remain the starting quarterback and his status will not be determined on a week-to-week basis.

0 Comments | Source: Philadelphia Daily News - Les Bowen |

Read more: http://www.kffl.com/hotw/nfl#820228#ixzz2AzSX1Unr

Thu, 01 Nov 2012 08:59:41 -0700 Philadelphia Eagles head coach Andy Reid said QB Michael Vick will remain the starting quarterback and his status will not be determined on a week-to-week basis.

Funny. If Vick keeps this garbage play up he wont be benched? Get real.

Benching would be an Andy Reid hail marry. TJ Yates, Andy Dalton, Dan Marino, Bernie Kosar, Jim Everett, Todd Marinovich, Shaun King, Ben Roethlisberger, Joe Flacco, Matt Ryan and Mark Sanchez are the only rookie quarterbacks since the NFL-AFL merger to take their teams to the playoffs

11 rookie QBs have led their teams to the playoffs. If Foles gets in and he is not 12, Reid's job is gone.

Sanchez, King, Flacco, and Roethlisberger at least on that list all had elite defesnes, Philly's defense is a joke.

No matter hos much people hate Vick, or how far under expectations he performs, the odds of Foles saving Reid's job are almost zero, so he has to roll with Vick and pray.

He's turned the ball over a bunch but the hate of his play is out of control. The whole team has stunk it up. He's been hit more than any qb in the league. Other QB's have played much worse but not even a whisper about them losing their jobs. On top of that he's been playing tight, not trying to make mistakes. That's not his game. The guy needs to let it loose and not worry about every throw being perfect. He's got to be able to relax and not be looking over his shoulder all of the time. I think his post game comments last week showed just how much of a distraction all of this Foles talk has been. Finally Reid once and for all puts it to rest, Vick calls a player only meeting and now is talking about getting his swagger back. The guy is ready to light it up.

Ah the official Kiss of Death. When Andy says your job is secure, be afraid.

Who else had all that?

dude, what are you talking about? Luck, btw, was the most pro-ready QB to come out in about as long as I can remember.

Users who are viewing this thread