Jump to content
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

The Nick Foles era


Jed

Recommended Posts

  • 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, tkrull said:

Interesting read.  I lay a lot of the blame at the feet of Jeff Fisher.

When you compare Foles, Bradford, Keenum, and Goff under Fisher and then under subsequent coaches, the difference is stark. All of them have performed much better after Jeff Fisher. Foles also had success before Jeff Fisher

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

54 minutes ago, Long Ball Larry said:

Fisher certainly wasn’t helping, but nick really does need to be ensconced as a part of a machine.  If you have a well structured machine, he is a hell of a piston, but he is not an engine unto himself.

Few are though, right? I mean, this is often said as a put-down of Foles, but unless you're some transcendent talent like Brady or Rodgers, you're only going to be as successful as the totality of the coaching staff around you, the offensive philosophy, offensive line etc. I think sometimes we underrate how important situation and environment is for these guys and if they can't transcend their situation we write them off as mediocre talents. 

Edited by RushHour
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Coach Doug Pederson confirmed Nick Foles will start Week 2 against the Bucs.

Not a surprise at all, as Carson Wentz (knee) still has yet to be cleared for contact. Foles was dreadful in the opener, going 19-of-34 for a measly 117 yards and an interceptions, but the Eagles still escaped with a win. This is a good on-paper matchup, but Foles can't be trusted as more than a QB2.

Related: Carson Wentz

Sep 12 - 10:38 AM

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/6/2018 at 6:55 PM, Long Ball Larry said:

Fisher certainly wasn’t helping, but nick really does need to be ensconced as a part of a machine.  If you have a well structured machine, he is a hell of a piston, but he is not an engine unto himself.

With Nick's nickname, it is interesting that you compare him to a piston.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 months later...

So, looking around the league at some of the guys starting, it appears that Nick Foles has a pretty decent chance of cashing out on Free Agency and competing for a starting job.  For instance, might a team like Jacksonville be interested in giving him a shot?

He doesn't have nearly the hype as a guy like Kirk Cousins, but unlike Kirk Cousins, Foles has actually proven himself on the big stage -- which could be intriguing for a team with a decent defense looking for proven quarterback if not a spectacular one.

Where do you think this guy ends up?  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/12/2018 at 11:20 AM, MikeApf said:

So, looking around the league at some of the guys starting, it appears that Nick Foles has a pretty decent chance of cashing out on Free Agency and competing for a starting job.  For instance, might a team like Jacksonville be interested in giving him a shot?

He doesn't have nearly the hype as a guy like Kirk Cousins, but unlike Kirk Cousins, Foles has actually proven himself on the big stage -- which could be intriguing for a team with a decent defense looking for proven quarterback if not a spectacular one.

Where do you think this guy ends up?  

Washington. Ready to win now and it's a division rival

 

Eta: not saying Washington is a powerhouse. rather were winning their division and looked like a playoff team until they crapped the bed.

 

Also I think Jacksonville or Denver might pay up

Edited by Dr. Dan
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On ‎12‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 4:15 PM, Dr. Dan said:

Washington. Ready to win now and it's a division rival

 

Eta: not saying Washington is a powerhouse. rather were winning their division and looked like a playoff team until they crapped the bed.

 

Also I think Jacksonville or Denver might pay up

As a Redskins fan, I certainly would not mind seeing Foles in D.C.  As he showed last night, he certainly can play -- and as has been discussed -- he can also perform on the big stage.

On the other hand, I don't think the Redskins can afford to pay another big Free Agent QB salary at this point.  They are still on the hook for Alex Smith's contract, and I just don't see how they could continue to pay Smith + Foles, who is going to attract some attention from other clubs.

I believe the Redskins need to just draft a guy at this point.  Not only would this be a nice departure from the "sign a retread" strategy, but the young guy would be on a rookie contract while they finish paying up Smith, so as to alleviate the financial stress of the situation.

I hear people talking about Flacco to Jacksonville, but I'd definitely rather have Foles.  I think Denver is an intriguing idea as well, yes...not sure what kind of commitment they have to Keenum...

Also...Tampa?

Edited by MikeApf
Link to comment
Share on other sites

50 minutes ago, MikeApf said:

As a Redskins fan, I certainly would not mind seeing Foles in D.C.  As he showed last night, he certainly can play -- and as has been discussed -- he can also perform on the big stage.

On the other hand, I don't think the Redskins can afford to pay another big Free Agent QB salary at this point.  They are still on the hook for Alex Smith's contract, and I just don't see how they could continue to pay Smith + Foles, who is going to attract some attention from other clubs.

I believe the Redskins need to just draft a guy at this point.  Not only would this be a nice departure from the "sign a retread" strategy, but the young guy would be on a rookie contract while they finish paying up Smith, so as to alleviate the financial stress of the situation.

I hear people talking about Flacco to Jacksonville, but I'd definitely rather have Foles.  I think Denver is an intriguing idea as well, yes...not sure what kind of commitment they have to Keenum...

Also...Tampa?

Giants?  It would allow them to avoid overpaying for a QB this draft, since no “franchise” guys are coming out, and let them work on patching up their OL instead.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, MikeApf said:

As a Redskins fan, I certainly would not mind seeing Foles in D.C.  As he showed last night, he certainly can play -- and as has been discussed -- he can also perform on the big stage.

On the other hand, I don't think the Redskins can afford to pay another big Free Agent QB salary at this point.  They are still on the hook for Alex Smith's contract, and I just don't see how they could continue to pay Smith + Foles, who is going to attract some attention from other clubs.

I believe the Redskins need to just draft a guy at this point.  Not only would this be a nice departure from the "sign a retread" strategy, but the young guy would be on a rookie contract while they finish paying up Smith, so as to alleviate the financial stress of the situation.

I hear people talking about Flacco to Jacksonville, but I'd definitely rather have Foles.  I think Denver is an intriguing idea as well, yes...not sure what kind of commitment they have to Keenum...

Also...Tampa?

Yes, after realizing how bad the Smith contract is, I agree that the Redskins will end up having to draft someone

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Jacksonville would be ideal, if they also didn't give Bortles that extension.  They're kinda stuck for next year too $$ wise.

 

There really isn't a huge market - this past year had a LOT of young QB's come in, and I think most teams are going to want to give them a chance.  If the Bucs move on from Winston, they might bring in Foles.   Bengals may move on from Dalton as well, but I don't see a huge difference between the two guys.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, sportsphysio said:

Giants?  It would allow them to avoid overpaying for a QB this draft, since no “franchise” guys are coming out, and let them work on patching up their OL instead.  

Will prob stick with Eli and take someone in first couple rounds.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, babydemon90 said:

Jacksonville would be ideal, if they also didn't give Bortles that extension.  They're kinda stuck for next year too $$ wise.

 

There really isn't a huge market - this past year had a LOT of young QB's come in, and I think most teams are going to want to give them a chance.  If the Bucs move on from Winston, they might bring in Foles.   Bengals may move on from Dalton as well, but I don't see a huge difference between the two guys.

Jags will cut Bortles I think. They’re on hook for some money but can get out of some.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, babydemon90 said:

Jacksonville would be ideal, if they also didn't give Bortles that extension.  They're kinda stuck for next year too $$ wise.

 

There really isn't a huge market - this past year had a LOT of young QB's come in, and I think most teams are going to want to give them a chance.  If the Bucs move on from Winston, they might bring in Foles.   Bengals may move on from Dalton as well, but I don't see a huge difference between the two guys.

From rotoworld

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports the Jaguars plan to move on from Blake Bortles this offseason.

This feels obvious, but it wasn't a given after a surprise Bortles extension in February. Jacksonville is expected to make Bortles a post June cut — spreading his $16.5 million dead money over the next two years. After leading the Jaguars to the AFC Championship, Bortles hit rock bottom this season, but he should resurface in a backup role. The Jaguars will start over at quarterback. Dec 8 - 8:20 PM

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, Tool said:

Jags will cut Bortles I think. They’re on hook for some money but can get out of some.

16.5 dead cap money.  If they release him post 6/1, they can split that up for 2 year 11.5/5 - still a huge cap hit though.

 

Maybe they'll decide to just eat it, they will still save ~5 million.  Thats a lot to eat though.  Whoever approved that extension probably needs to get fired.

Edited by babydemon90
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Tool said:

Odds for where Foles will end up from Bovada:

Giants: 11/5

Jaguars: 4/1

Redskins: 4/1

Dolphins: 5/1

Buccaneers: 7/1

Raiders: 19/2

Bengals: 19/2

Broncos: 19/2

I think Jags is a real possibility. I know he could go to the Skins or Giants but I think if all things are equal (i.e. money not far off), he'll go somewhere where he doesn't have to play Philly. Not because he's scared of them. Now if the Giants or Skins give him stupid money, then I can see him going.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Lascelle said:

I tried to pull the trigger on him over Allen.  Couldn't bring myself to do it.

I cut Allen to pick Foles up yesterday.  He got the start over Winston for me and looks like a winning decision.  I had Watson in my other championship so I absolutely loved seeing that game today.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, BigJonE300 said:

I cut Allen to pick Foles up yesterday.  He got the start over Winston for me and looks like a winning decision.  I had Watson in my other championship so I absolutely loved seeing that game today.

 

Ballsy choice, good for you. That's championship level management

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Quote

(RotoWire) Foles completed 35 of 49 passing attempts for 471 yards, four touchdowns and one interception in Sunday's 32-30 win over the Texans. He also rushed once for one yard. Analysis: Foles came up clutch once again, leading the Eagles down the field for a game-winning field goal despite briefly leaving after a vicious hit by Jadeveon Clowney on the game's final drive. His 471 passing yards set the Eagles' mark for most in a single game. With the 29-year-old playing so well once again, it's tough to believe he won't get another start in a very winnable Week 17 matchup at Washington while Carson Wentz continues to recover from a back injury.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It's crazy that Foles' 7 TD effort a few years ago didn't surpass 471 yards. Weird they finally won a SB,  but the backup QB owns all the franchise single game passing records and the SB MVP, when you have a different franchise QB and previously had another 10 year franchise QB. Funny league. 

  • Thinking 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
  • Create New...