What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Cam Newton, CAR (1 Viewer)

It's all a continuation of a trend that started in his first of 3 schools in college. Cam's a different case than most to me because we haven't seen anything like this in the pros before. A special athlete, not accustomed to losing, adjusting poorly, checkered character...at QB. The first three points, there's a lot of those throughout the league, but not at QB. QB's with iffy heads flame out like Jamarcus or Leaf or plummet in the draft and have to prove it like Mallet is right now. None of them have the skill set that Cam has to play with though. Taking a step outside of football because there just are not football examples to site with Cam, people with special skill sets (or just backed into a position because of their last name) that don't have what it takes to be a leader go through periods in which people believe in them because they say and do the right things...for a while. Eventually they revert back to form and f up again. Sometimes those people are able to overcome those issues and learn from their mistakes and go on to be great at what they do. Call me a cynic, but I see much more of the former than the latter. I think it's more likely Cam regresses again and has a flame out like he did in that Giants game and the more often bad stuff like that happens the less others are going to believe in their leader and the foundation crumbles around them. That's the absolute worst case scenario, to be sure. Entirely possible this is a new leaf, which I have said all along, I just don't think others are factoring in the associated risks too. It's why Cam is going to be outside my top 7 again and possibly top 10, redraft and dynasty, again. I'll roll the dice if the price is right, but without hesitation I am taking Rodgers, Brady, Brees, Peyton, RG3, and Luck before him. Maybe Ryan and Stafford too. Dyno-wise, there's a lot of young guys not far behind Cam that I may bump over the top with strong finishes too. And Romo or Big Ben at cheaper prices look more enticing as well. There are just so many very good QB's in the game now to risk more investing in a guy I don't trust.
Yeah, I've stopped circling this hook. You're making zero sense at this point.

It's all a continuation of a trend that started in his first of 3 schools in college. Cam's a different case than most to me because we haven't seen anything like this in the pros before. A special athlete, not accustomed to losing, adjusting poorly, checkered character...at QB. The first three points, there's a lot of those throughout the league, but not at QB. QB's with iffy heads flame out like Jamarcus or Leaf or plummet in the draft and have to prove it like Mallet is right now. None of them have the skill set that Cam has to play with though. Taking a step outside of football because there just are not football examples to site with Cam, people with special skill sets (or just backed into a position because of their last name) that don't have what it takes to be a leader go through periods in which people believe in them because they say and do the right things...for a while. Eventually they revert back to form and f up again. Sometimes those people are able to overcome those issues and learn from their mistakes and go on to be great at what they do. Call me a cynic, but I see much more of the former than the latter. I think it's more likely Cam regresses again and has a flame out like he did in that Giants game and the more often bad stuff like that happens the less others are going to believe in their leader and the foundation crumbles around them. That's the absolute worst case scenario, to be sure. Entirely possible this is a new leaf, which I have said all along, I just don't think others are factoring in the associated risks too. It's why Cam is going to be outside my top 7 again and possibly top 10, redraft and dynasty, again. I'll roll the dice if the price is right, but without hesitation I am taking Rodgers, Brady, Brees, Peyton, RG3, and Luck before him. Maybe Ryan and Stafford too. Dyno-wise, there's a lot of young guys not far behind Cam that I may bump over the top with strong finishes too. And Romo or Big Ben at cheaper prices look more enticing as well. There are just so many very good QB's in the game now to risk more investing in a guy I don't trust.
How many talented #### up's do you know ended up being good at what they do? How many continued to #### up?

Because when a player you don't trust has bad games (plural) you start thinking about benching him. Additionally, Cam owners that did stick with him got below average production 5 of his first 7 games and awful production in 2 of them. The Cam owners that were able to manage during his early season slump are in a very good spot right now, but I'll venture a guess that most did not and were staring at 2-6 or 3-5 like records at the end of week 8, making the playoff push tough to come by.

You trust Cam, and have all along, most Cam owners do. I never did, and his early season performance showed me why I don't. Will he reverse course next year? I don't know, we'll see. Said the same thing ebfore this season. I'll find out with him on someone else's team.
Cam in a typical QB scoring format scored 18, 30, 16, 33, 11, 22 and 17 his first 7 games, his worst stretch of the year. Rodgers, on the other hand, has scored 29, 18, 29, 19, 16, 19 and 18 in his last 7 games, as “bad” or worse than Cam’s worst stretch.

Do you realize Drew Brees in his last 7 games has scored 18, 20, 26, 23, 23, 12 and 20?

How about the great RGIII (no sarcasm): 29, 14, 16, 34, 33, 19, 20 in his last 7?

Point is, it is not unusual for a great player to run into a lull at some point of the year (although all of the above “lulls” are easily acceptable performance as a worst stretch). I’d like to have had any of these QBs on any given team as my #1. They more than make up for it with the games they single handedly win, like Cam scoring 40, 31 and 40 over the last 3 weeks! I’d say many owners with Cam on their team are doing/did just fine and many are likely in the semi finals this week.

Personally, I'm not sure there's a QB I’d rather have right now going into the semis or a QB I’d least like to see on my opponent’s roster. All in all, at least thus far, the “luck” in having Cam has been very good.

By continuing to focus only on Cam’s “mediocre” numbers while looking past all other QB’s similar or worse numbers, you’re analysis continues to lack objectivity.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is why I dodged the scoring argument as long as I did, every system is different, tried using most standard as possible - 1 pt/20 pass yds, 1 pt/10 rush yds, 6 pts/all TDs, -2 pts/all TOs. The one I use had his bad games as 17, 12, 9, 20, and 15. QB12 averages 24 pts, QB24 averages 18. Baseline I used. Adjust based on your league.

If you guys want to know what I'm so wary of go find a Michael Vick owner in 2008 and talk with them. The top 6 QB's don't have #### up downside, neither do the good ones ranked in that 7-12 or 15ish range, not what I know about them anyway. Watch a guy #### up enough times and ignore it and you will pay the price.

How many talented #### up's do you know ended up being good at what they do? How many continued to #### up?
Of the NFL players who still play, Brandon Marshall, Dez Bryant, Marshawn Lynch, Randy Moss, Aqib Talib, and Elvis Dumervil come to mind. In recent history, Terrell Owens and Chad Johnson also come to mind. I think you're vastly overrating the impact of players acting idiotically; if you're talented enough NFL teams just won't care. What separates Cam Newton from someone like Ryan Leaf (besides being considerably less crazy) is that Cam Newton is actually a very talented player who has put up phenomenal stats in his first 2 seasons whereas Leaf was absolutely dreadful from his first NFL pass to his last. If Leaf was as talented as Newton is some team would have put up with his bull####.

Of the NFL players who still play, Brandon Marshall, Dez Bryant, Marshawn Lynch, Randy Moss, Aqib Talib, and Elvis Dumervil come to mind. In recent history, Terrell Owens and Chad Johnson also come to mind.
I think the difference is the dip#### factor is priced into these guys. Dez is a top 5 talent, but until recently most had himoutside their top 10 or top 15. Similar story with Marshall and Lynch. Similar talents are taken before them, lesser talents with less risk are taken around them. Same rules don't apply with Cam. What did you have him ranked preseason? Top 15 overall? Top 4 QB? That's what most had, don't see the idiot factor priced in, which has been my argument from the beginning that I think everyone in here is choosing to ignore. I would consider buying him if the price is right, I don't think it is, there's no profit at his current price - only risk.

What does this have to do with the conversation? Are you saying that because he made a mistake in college, he's forever a #### up? To answer your question (because I'm bored) two came to mind without even thinking. Michael Irvin and Terrell Owens. But again, I don't know what your question has to do with this conversation.

I take back everything I said about Newton. He's a cancer! Did you guys see how he was acting after he got hurt? Those facial expressions were not acceptable. If he were a leader, we wouldn't have even known he was hurt. Follow that up with a less than enthusiastic slap of Steve Smith's butt on that TD and I have all I need. Terrible :thumbdown:

@Panthers_PR: Cam Newton has passed for 7,502 yards in his first two seasons, second-most behind Peyton Manning (7,874, 1998-99)

Shula: Cam Newton won't lead Panthers rushing againBy Chris Wesseling

Around the League Writer

Cam Newton became the first quarterback since Donovan McNabb in 2000 to lead his team in rushing yards last season while also pacing all NFL quarterbacks in rushing attempts.

New Carolina Panthers offensive coordinator Mike Shula doesn't want to see a repeat this season, but that doesn't mean fewer read-option looks.

"In this run/read offense, there are decisions he makes with the option," Shula told Dan Pompei of the National Football Post. "Don't make decisions where he gets hit right away. If you are not sure if you should hand it off or keep it, then hand it off."

Newton has accounted for 28 percent of Carolina's rushing attempts and 32 percent of the team's rushing yards since entering the league. Those percentages might come down slightly, but the read-option has proven too effective to just throw in the towel as a nod to injury risks.

While the average NFL rushing play gains 4.3 yards, the average option play goes for 5.95 yards according to data compiled by Mike Tanier of SportsOnEarth.com. With the Panthers, the average option play jumps to 6.21 yards. Newton ran nearly as many option plays as Robert Griffin III's Washington Redskins and was more successful on a per-play basis.

Newton is the first player in NFL history with 30-plus passing touchdowns and 20-plus rushing touchdowns over his first two seasons. The Panthers will ask him to "think faster and play faster," but they're not going to tinker with the dual-threat formula behind one of the most productive two-year stretches the NFL has witnessed at the dawn of a quarterback's career.

Follow Chris Wesseling on Twitter @ChrisWesseling.

I hate sports media. In none of those links does Shula ever actually say he doesn't want Cam to lead the team in rushing again. He doesn't even imply it. He wants to keep him healthy and for him to make better decisions when running the option. But they turned that into a statement he never made. I'm sure that it IS true, but he never said it or anything like it.

Rotoworld:

Panthers OC Mike Shula is trying to shorten Cam Newton's play calls this season.

"The more words you have in your play calling, the easier it is on everyone else because the quarterback basically is telling them what to do," Shula said. "Fewer words help the quarterbacks because he doesn’t have to say as much. ... It will help not being in the huddle all that long." The Panthers are trying to put Newton in an optimal position to succeed after things sometimes got bogged down under old OC Rob Chudzinski. There's every reason to believe he's in store for a monster campaign.

Jun 24 - 10:10 AM

Source: National Football Post
The Panthers are de-emphasizing the zone read play under new OC Mike Shula.

During OTAs and minicamps, the Panthers did not practice very many option plays. The franchise wants Cam Newton to make plays from the pocket first and use his legs to create opportunities in the scrambling game. Essentially, Shula is planning on running more of a conventional offense that features base runs to the backs. It's a good thing for Jonathan Stewart and DeAngelo Williams, but it could lead to deflated rushing stats for Newton. In his first two NFL seasons, he's rushed 253 times for a jaw-dropping 1,447 yards and 22 touchdowns.

Jun 18 - 8:29 AM

Source: Charlotte Observer
Panthers coach Ron Rivera promises a more uptempo offense in 2013.

"We want to be uptempo, we want to practice uptempo and get things going uptempo," Rivera said. "That’s what you see, you see more of that in the last couple weeks in these OTAs." The Panthers have simplified former OC Rob Chudzinski's verbiage under new OC Mike Shula, which they hope will lead to shorter huddles. Shula's track record is spottier than Chud's, but he's served as Cam Newton's QBs coach since he came into the league. The Panthers are likely to build on the success they had down the stretch last season by using more base runs from under center than building their offense out of the shotgun.

May 31 - 8:47 AM

Cam Newton is down to 243 pounds.

In an effort to "challenge" himself, as well as gain speed, Cam has dropped 12 pounds off his playing weight from last season. Newton has always been a special athlete, and was plenty fast at 255. The lost weight should only add to what he's able to do on the field.

May 29 - 1:14 PM
Source: Joseph Pearson on Twitter
New Panthers OC Mike Shula believes emotional "balance" is critical to Cam Newton taking a significant step forward in his third NFL season.
Newton has been oft-criticized for pouting on the sidelines after things go wrong, including by teammate Steve Smith. "The more you can continue to stay on an even plane and lead the group of guys around you," said Shula, "the more effective you are going to be as a quarterback." Shula also stressed he wants better ball control on offense. "The number one thing is make first downs and keep the ball," said the rookie playcaller. "We want him to make quick decisions -- and the right decisions -- and get the ball out."

Source: SI.com
Coach Ron Rivera expects the zone read to be "more of a wrinkle than a staple" in the Panthers' 2013 offense.
"We have it as a mixer," Rivera said Thursday. "We have it just enough that coordinators have to pay attention to what we do. I think off of it, we can do so many different things." Both Rivera and new GM Dave Gettleman believe Cam Newton was far more effective last season after the Panthers de-emphasized the read option and went with a more traditional approach. "I think a read option is an option," Gettleman said. "But at the end of the day your quarterback has to make plays from the pocket. And if he can't, you're going to struggle."

Coach Ron Rivera told PFT Live that Cam Newton's first-half struggles in 2012 occurred because the Panthers "put too much on his plate."
"I think we put too much on him," said Rivera. "(In the second half) we backed off of that. Took a little bit off his plate. Put a little more on the playmakers. Put the ball in the running backs' hands. Put the ball in the tight end's hands. Put the ball in the receivers' hands, and all of a sudden you started to see (Cam) grow and develop." New coordinator Mike Shula -- Carolina's quarterbacks coach last year -- is credited with helping to "simplify" the offense for Newton.

Source: PFT Live
Cam Newton said on Friday that he is "excited" to work with new OC Mike Shula.
Newton said the continuity was important, and he went as far to credit Shula, then QBs coach, for his development over the second half of 2012. "I've been talking to [shula] and he's been giving me some ideas to think about. I think it's going to be a working process, but at the same time we're going to have fun and take it to higher heights," Newton said. "I think a lot of credit goes to him with me honing in to a lot of things that he's been coaching me up to do."

Panthers coach Ron Rivera acknowledged that he stayed in-house to promote Mike Shula to offensive coordinator in order to maintain continuity for Cam Newton's sake.
"That was it," Rivera said. "... The bottom line is familiarity with who we are as a football team." Over Carolina's final six games, Newton combined for 14 touchdowns and only two turnovers, and the Panthers went 5-1. "I think the way Cam played the second half of the season, protecting the football the way he did and not giving up big sacks, just the way he played, his growth ..." Rivera said. "He really had to go through the maturation process."

Source: Associated Press
Ex-NFL player Ross Tucker stated on Friday's Football Today podcast that he heard from "several people" that Cam Newton was a "different guy" when he reported to Panthers training camp in 2012.
Tucker credits outgoing OC Rob Chudzinski with turning Newton around after his work ethic and commitment were spotty at the beginning of the season. "I think he did a fantastic job with Cam Newton last year, and even helping him recover this year," Tucker said of Chudzinski. "I had heard, even in training camp, that Cam Newton was a different guy from a work ethic standpoint. I don't think that the slow start, I'm not putting that on Chud based on what I've heard from several people." For seven years now, Tucker said he's been told "unprompted" by coaches around the league that Chudzinski is an outstanding teacher. If Tucker is right, Chud's departure to Cleveland may be concerning for Newton in 2013.

Related: Browns

Source: ESPN.com

Rotoworld:

Cam Newton's passer rating when lined up under center last season was 97.4.

Newton's rating when operating out of the shotgun was 82.9. It's further proof that stereotyping him as a strict zone read or running quarterback is wrong. "That just shows me what his football mind is about," new OC Mike Shula said. "He has a great football mind." Newton is very capable of being a pocket passer, something he's expected to do plenty of this season as the Panthers install more base plays. Anything less than 4,000 yards passing would be a surprise.

Source: National Football Post

I think Cam Newton is an antimatter Tim Tebow. No matter how historically great his first two years in the league are, a large group of people will call him an egomaniacal cancerous prima donna with no evidence to support their position. If Kaepernick or Wilson or RG3 have the exact same season this year that Cam had last year everyone will anoint them with all sorts of superlatives.

I love Cam and though not typically a QB early drafter, I still am seriously considering reaching for him. But I am very, very worried about Mike Shula - the guy can #### up a hot fudge sundae. Anyone else feel the same? Does anyone feel significantly different about Shula's OC impact on Cam this year? Yeah, I know he helped him come around last year on a one-on-one basis ...that ain't being the OC.

i have said it before brohans cam fig netwon is a mythical beast from the planet kickbuttazon who is an epic monster who destroys other players guys just look at the first two years on a team that was all messed up even with a sofmore slump he still has the second best first two years ever and the only guy better is the best qb ever to play the game so get him and be glad you did take that to the bank brochachos

i have said it before brohans cam fig netwon is a mythical beast from the planet kickbuttazon who is an epic monster who destroys other players guys just look at the first two years on a team that was all messed up even with a sofmore slump he still has the second best first two years ever and the only guy better is the best qb ever to play the game so get him and be glad you did take that to the bank brochachos
Exactly.

Rotoworld:

After studying Cam Newton's 2012 game tape, ESPN's Ron Jaworski came away concerned Newton's accuracy may prove an obstacle in the way of Newton becoming an elite quarterback.
Jaws did acknowledge Cam "improved as the season progressed," but observed on tape that Newton "was far too erratic with his accuracy, too scattershot" and "must become more precise" with "better control (of) his throws." Jaworski still called Newton "one of the most talented quarterbacks in the NFL," and a "big-time arm talent." Newton finished as the No. 5 overall fantasy QB as a rookie in 2011, and No. 4 overall as a sophomore in 2012.

Rotoworld:

After studying Cam Newton's 2012 game tape, ESPN's Ron Jaworski came away concerned Newton's accuracy may prove an obstacle in the way of Newton becoming an elite quarterback.
Jaws did acknowledge Cam "improved as the season progressed," but observed on tape that Newton "was far too erratic with his accuracy, too scattershot" and "must become more precise" with "better control (of) his throws." Jaworski still called Newton "one of the most talented quarterbacks in the NFL," and a "big-time arm talent." Newton finished as the No. 5 overall fantasy QB as a rookie in 2011, and No. 4 overall as a sophomore in 2012.
:goodposting: I have been saying that for some time. Unless his accuracy and maturity improve he will never take the next step.

ImTheScientist said:
Faust said:
Rotoworld:

:goodposting: I have been saying that for some time. Unless his accuracy and maturity improve he will never take the next step.
next step for what?

He is an elite fantasy quarterback now. Why do you think he needs to mature?

Rotoworld:

Panthers GM Dave Gettleman endorsed Cam Newton as his franchise quarterback Tuesday, but said "now it's time to win."
Newton is clearly the Panthers' quarterback of the future, so we consider the endorsement perfunctory. Newton has two years left on his rookie deal. As for Gettleman's "win now" proclamation, Newton's passing-game weapons are the only thing that could hold him back this season. If Steve Smith looks another step slower, Newton's receiver corps will be clear as mud.

Source: Joseph Person on Twitter

i wish that carolina would just bite the bullet and finally do it and trade for the tiny hatdancer cruze andray johnson and megatron so that we could see what cam the destroyer of the universe and beyond newton could do could you even imagine he would probably break every record that ever existed for wrs and it would be pretty awesome to watch and i bet bert the weiner texter favre would cry watching all of his precous records get torn to pieces by the wild beast from the fifth dimension cam newton take that to the bank brohans

I think Cam Newton is an antimatter Tim Tebow. No matter how historically great his first two years in the league are, a large group of people will call him an egomaniacal cancerous prima donna with no evidence to support their position. If Kaepernick or Wilson or RG3 have the exact same season this year that Cam had last year everyone will anoint them with all sorts of superlatives.
You can close the thread with this post. Couldn't be said any better.

something happened at the end of last season that everyone seems to be ignoring. Mike Tolbert scored 5, count em 5, 1 yard touchdowns in two of the last three weeks. The one thing that has made Cam a special player has been the rushing touchdowns. If he regresses even more, to say 3 or 4 rushing td's, which is possible, he loses tons of value. especially if he is not the goal-line back. it happened year to year with vick. Just think he is more prone to regression this year than improvement. rushing td's are so hard to predict for qb's

something happened at the end of last season that everyone seems to be ignoring. Mike Tolbert scored 5, count em 5, 1 yard touchdowns in two of the last three weeks. The one thing that has made Cam a special player has been the rushing touchdowns. If he regresses even more, to say 3 or 4 rushing td's, which is possible, he loses tons of value. especially if he is not the goal-line back. it happened year to year with vick. Just think he is more prone to regression this year than improvement. rushing td's are so hard to predict for qb's
He's not regressing more. He is taking what the defense gives on that play. When they stop running the goal line option, then I'll be concerned. But Tolbert getting a few is simple variance.

Why do people keep bringing up Vick? Vick was never used the way Newton is at the goal line. The Panthers are going to run the read option at the goal line. Cam will keep about 50% of those, as he always has.

Concept Coop said:
mastergg said:
He's not regressing more. He is taking what the defense gives on that play. When they stop running the goal line option, then I'll be concerned. But Tolbert getting a few is simple variance.

Why do people keep bringing up Vick? Vick was never used the way Newton is at the goal line. The Panthers are going to run the read option at the goal line. Cam will keep about 50% of those, as he always has.
Agreed - I think the fact that Tolbert scored 5 TDs in 3 weeks (on 24 carries), is the thing you'd expect to regress, not continue. Are we assuming Tolbert will score 20+ short TDs this year? I'd expect Cam gets 1 or 2 of those back, not loses more.

My only concern long term is him getting help. He's clearly a super talent on a team with mid-grade supporting cast and coaching. If that doesn't change, we may never get to see his best. That's actually kind of scary, though.

And can we get bert the weiner texter favre somehow enshrined in the nickname hall of fame?

Why is everyone assuming they are going to keep running the read option at the goal line when the new OC and coach are talking about scrapping it altogether? They want Cam to run a more traditional offense with his yards coming from scrambles instead of designed runs, ala Mike Vick. Vick scored 8 one year then 1 the next, then 9 one year and 2 the next.

Why is everyone assuming they are going to keep running the read option at the goal line when the new OC and coach are talking about scrapping it altogether? They want Cam to run a more traditional offense with his yards coming from scrambles instead of designed runs, ala Mike Vick. Vick scored 8 one year then 1 the next, then 9 one year and 2 the next.
Because that's still the best and easiest way to score a TD from the goal line for them. I highly doubt they ditch that aspect of the offense, it was there before they added more traditional read-option stuff between the 20's, and I think it will be there after they remove that stuff.

That's not accurate. The OC has said that they WILL use it.

That's not accurate. The OC has said that they WILL use it.
This ^

Why would they ditch Cam running the goalline plays? It's one of the most effective strategies in the NFL, from what I've seen. I'm sure some stat nerd will probably be by shortly to fill us in on the details, but my memory is that when Cam gets the ball at the 1 yard line, good things happen.

^

its an effective strategy for fantasy football owners, but having your quarterback jumping over a pile into the teeth of a goal line defense isnt exactly a good thing when you can hand it off to a 230 lb fullback and get the same result.

^

its an effective strategy for fantasy football owners, but having your quarterback jumping over a pile into the teeth of a goal line defense isnt exactly a good thing when you can hand it off to a 230 lb fullback and get the same result.
Based on all the games he's missed and lack of rushing TDs?

then why did they give the ball to Tolbert for five 1 yard td's at the end of last season instead of having Cam dive in? the possibility exists that they ditched the idea of putting their qb at risk on that play. All i'm saying about Cam is that there is a considerable risk in projecting his production if they dont use him as the goal line back this year. if you think he's going to score ten, and he only scores 3, he loses alot of value

mastergg said:
^

Doesn't Cam weigh 240+?

mastergg said:
then why did they give the ball to Tolbert for five 1 yard td's at the end of last season instead of having Cam dive in? the possibility exists that they ditched the idea of putting their qb at risk on that play. All i'm saying about Cam is that there is a considerable risk in projecting his production if they dont use him as the goal line back this year. if you think he's going to score ten, and he only scores 3, he loses alot of value
You can say that about any player and any stat.

They run the same play at the goal line - it's an option play. He keeps/gives at virtually a 1:1 ratio. Some games the defense forces the handoff, sometimes they don't. I have noticed that he is more likely to hand it off on 1st down, and more likely to keep it on 3rd/4th down. Beyond that, again, it's 50/50. It's called random variance.

And he doesn't take many hits on the play - he usually falls into the back of offensive linemen. In fact, the biggest hits I have seen him take were passing plays. There is no major injury risk on the play, and the team knows that - that's why they continue to run it.

Project 3 TDs as you see fit. I'll be projecting somewhere between 8-14.

mastergg said:
^

Doesn't Cam weigh 240+?
:yes: He's down to 245 this year. I think he can handle falling forward into his teammates 15-20 times over a 17 week season.

mastergg said:
Maybe because their season was basically already over?

Rotoworld:

next step for what?

He is an elite fantasy quarterback now. Why do you think he needs to mature?
For him to be an elite real life QB. He is just average in real life....although last year you argued it again and again that in real life he was elite. Sorry son.....gotta win games, have less turnovers, and be more consistent to be elite.

Cam is my personal favorite quarterback and I really want to have him on my team this year because I think the sky is the limit for him. I am, however, very concerned about Shula as the OC.

I know Shula didn't have the talent at QB he has now, but his team's offensive rankings as OC with Tampa Bay were abysmal.

In his 4 years with Tampa Bay, his offense was 29th, 30th, 27th, 30th in passing yards and the # of attempts were in that same range also. There is a lot of attention right now on whether or not Cam's rushing attempts at the goal line are reduced but I am far more concerned about his passing stats in the pedestrian offense that Shula brings.

Rotoworld:

New OC Mike Shula indicated the Panthers' 2013 offense will look similar to how Carolina played in the second half of 2012.
Cam Newton accounted for 19 all-purpose TDs and just four interceptions over the final nine games last season, and his rushing production actually improved despite a more "conventional" offense with fewer read-option plays. "We felt like at the end of the year across the board, there wasn’t a guy that wasn’t playing winning football," said Shula. "Now, we have to do that for 16 weeks."

Rotoworld:

New OC Mike Shula indicated the Panthers' 2013 offense will look similar to how Carolina played in the second half of 2012.
Cam Newton accounted for 19 all-purpose TDs and just four interceptions over the final nine games last season, and his rushing production actually improved despite a more "conventional" offense with fewer read-option plays. "We felt like at the end of the year across the board, there wasn’t a guy that wasn’t playing winning football," said Shula. "Now, we have to do that for 16 weeks."

:popcorn:

Users who are viewing this thread