What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Cam Newton, CAR (1 Viewer)

Having Cam Newton on my teams heightens my enjoyment of fantasy football. Spending more time as a result watching the Panthers led me to grabbing their DST early on in many leagues as well.

I wouldn't take another QB ahead of him in a dynasty startup, the man is pure gold.

I wouldn't take another QB ahead of him in a dynasty startup, the man is pure gold.
I don't know - a big concern is that the Panthers have developed a strong defense, and that may limit Cam's fantasy stats.

From a real NFL standpoint though, looks like the kid is growing up right before our eyes.

Cam Newton now playing Panthers QB, 'not magician'

By Chris Wesseling

Around the League Writer

Criticized for compiling statistics at the expense of wins last season, quarterback Cam Newton has authored 13 victories in his last 21 games after managing just seven in the first 21 games of his career.

After Newton's MVP-caliber performance in Monday night's thriller over the Patriots, teammates were quick to point out his progress in mastering the nuances of the quarterback craft.

"He played quarterback tonight, he didn't play magician," tight end Greg Olsen said, via The Sporting News. "He was just a magician on a couple of plays. And that's when you know you're a big-time player."

The magic came on a pair of great escapes, plays that several teammates firmly believe are unique to their "superior athlete" at the position.

"He's doing it now when he needs to, and not because he doesn't know what to do," offensive tackle Jordan Gross said of Newton's running. "That's the development we're seeing out of him. He's looking to throw, and when it's not there, he remembers how good of an athlete he is."

Newton still has four or five throws per game that sail on him because he doesn't set his feet, but the six-game winning streak has illustrated the first significant strides he's made as a passer and a team leader since entering the league.

Over that stretch, Newton has generated a passer rating of at least 111.0 four times while showing more decisiveness and getting through his progressions at a faster rate.

That growth has instilled a calmness and confidence, allowing Newton to stay poised in key situations.

"What you're seeing right now," wide receiver Steve Smith told NFL Media's Albert Breer, "is watching a young, great quarterback develop."

We recapped every Week 11 game on the latest "Around The League Podcast."

Last edited by a moderator:
No gifs in posts I guess?

http://cdn3.sbnation.com/assets/3594061/camHOF.gif

camHOF.gif

:crickets:

What's happened to the SP?? I really expected to get in here to read about how people couldn't believe that Cam "struggled" against Miami. Hasn't happened yet so IN before it does :popcorn:

What's happened to the SP?? I really expected to get in here to read about how people couldn't believe that Cam "struggled" against Miami. Hasn't happened yet so IN before it does :popcorn:
Sorry to disappoint, I haven't had cable in more than a week and power for most of last week because of storm damage to my house.

I'm eating my crow, unfortunately I didn't get to see either of the last two games, but I'm guessing he played better than that hideous San Fran game.

Sorry to disappoint, I haven't had cable in more than a week and power for most of last week because of storm damage to my house.

I'm eating my crow, unfortunately I didn't get to see either of the last two games, but I'm guessing he played better than that hideous San Fran game.
lolololololololol

lolololololololol
People like you are why many choose not to eat their crow.

brohans i do believe that i called cam a mythical beast from the planet destructocon years ago in this thread so listen to the old swcer about nfl destroying qbs and take that to the bank fellow bromericans

brohans i do believe that i called cam a mythical beast from the planet destructocon years ago in this thread so listen to the old swcer about nfl destroying qbs and take that to the bank fellow bromericans
Exactly
thanks brohan i hope that you hvae a good thanksgiving take that to the food bag bank but remember to help those who do not have a foodbag brohans

I just cant wait to see Cam with his WR of the Future in Carolina. LaFell blows, Ginn is nothing but fast. Smith is getting super old... I like Olsen. That's about it. Hopefully they get Watkins, or the Best FA available this coming year.

I just cant wait to see Cam with his WR of the Future in Carolina. LaFell blows, Ginn is nothing but fast. Smith is getting super old... I like Olsen. That's about it. Hopefully they get Watkins, or the Best FA available this coming year.
My dream would be signing nicks and then somehow moving up in the draft to get Watkins.

Neither will happen as they don't have the money to sign a big time free agent. Hardy and Newton are getting ready to get paid.

Exactly
thanks brohan i hope that you hvae a good thanksgiving take that to the food bag bank but remember to help those who do not have a foodbag brohans
Working with the Salvation Army this holiday season. Going to be ringing the bell and counting money for them. Goes to help their family homeless shelter.

Rotoworld:

Cam Newton played through a toe injury in Carolina's Week 15 win over the Jets.

Coach Ron Rivera confirmed the injury is "not that big a deal" at his Monday press conference. Cam suffered the injury late in the second quarter against the Jets. There was some question at halftime whether he'd start the third quarter. He did and did not miss a snap. Newton did not even undergo X-rays on the toe, and Rivera confirmed Cam does not have turf toe.

Source: Charlotte Observer

Rotoworld:

Cam Newton played through a toe injury in Carolina's Week 15 win over the Jets.

Coach Ron Rivera confirmed the injury is "not that big a deal" at his Monday press conference. Cam suffered the injury late in the second quarter against the Jets. There was some question at halftime whether he'd start the third quarter. He did and did not miss a snap. Newton did not even undergo X-rays on the toe, and Rivera confirmed Cam does not have turf toe.

Source: Charlotte Observer
The way he was grimacing it looked bad, We in Pantherland were holding our collective breath. When he came back out in the third quarter the noise you heard was us breathing again,

Anyone considering sitting Cam this week against the Saints? He didn't have a great game against them two weeks ago. But they are at home this week, and I expect him to have a slightly better FF game...just not sure how much better.

Strongly considering Kaepernick over Cam this week. Cam and the entire Carolina offense struggled against Ryan's scheme a week ago. With the way the Panthers defense has been playing, the way the Saints offense struggled last week and their offense's typical road splits, and the playoff implications of this game, I worry about a low-scoring, conservative, "clam up" type of game by the Panthers. I could definitely be overthinking things, but I'm concerned.

Tough start. I have been riding Romo all season and only played Cam for a few games. I'm going to stick to that plan, I think, and go Romo for the chip. Both scare me a bit, though.

Strongly considering Kaepernick over Cam this week. Cam and the entire Carolina offense struggled against Ryan's scheme a week ago. With the way the Panthers defense has been playing, the way the Saints offense struggled last week and their offense's typical road splits, and the playoff implications of this game, I worry about a low-scoring, conservative, "clam up" type of game by the Panthers. I could definitely be overthinking things, but I'm concerned.
if rodgers is cleared i'm strongly considering him over Cam... but I don't think I could start a QB2 over Cam

Playing Cam with confidence over Romo. Saints are a completely different team out doors.
And Cam is a completely different QB at home. It starts with the fact that he has been sacked at home 9 times and on the road 28 times IIRC. His rating is 20 or so points higher at home than it is on the road. This isn't likely to be like it was in New Orleans.

I like both Cousins and Cutler more than Cam this week. Cam hasn't really only thrived against weaker D's. The tougher one he's been an average FF QB at best.

Rushing aside,

Under 200 yards against Seattle, San Fran, Miami and Saints

Only game over 250 yards are against AZ, Atlanta, TB and the Jets.

And considering there may or may not be an injury to the foot, I'm not sure you can count on the rushing.

Away vs Saints Cam averages like 16 ppg-3 games

Home vs Saints Cam averages like 29 ppg-2 games

not fool proof of course.....but much better at home

Anyone considering sitting Cam this week against the Saints? He didn't have a great game against them two weeks ago. But they are at home this week, and I expect him to have a slightly better FF game...just not sure how much better.
I am leaning heavily towards playing Dalton over Cam this weekend. Cinci may be finding themselves in a need to throw situation against the suddenly resurgent Vikings. And Cam just hasn't elevated for big games very often this year (with the exception of the NE game). His best three games were against NYG, TB, and MIN. Otherwise he has been pedestrian. New Orleans has been top 5 against the pass. The odds are not in Cam's favor, IMO. I admit to being a bit hesitant to pull the trigger on this one, but only a little bit.

MAC_32 said:
Dalton?!?!

Lord...
Season totals: Cam is QB6 in my league, while Dalton is QB9, and not many points separate them.

This is my choice too for the championship. Dalton has had a few huge games, and I can easily see it happening again vs the Vikings.

I'm leaning towards Dalton having a monster game, while Cam gets the win against the Saints but only has an average fantasy day.

There is quite a bit of overthinking going on in this thread. Guys - stick with what got you there unless the matchup is so horrible you have no choice and it's an obvious call. Look at the numbers a few posts above - Cam is entirely different at home. If you lose, then lose because your guys who got you there got beat. Don't lose because you took out a stud player because of what you deem to be a not so great matchup.

A lot of my success in getting to the championship has been through analyzing situations and playing guys that have good matchups, as I'm sure is the case with many other people. At this time of the year, everyone says the same thing- "Stick with your studs." I've played FF for 23 years, and have found this to be true just about half the time. Half the time your studs produce for you, and half the time you lose because you didn't pull the trigger and play someone who had a great matchup. Fact is that Dalton is playing against one of the bottom 3 pass defenses in the NFL in Minnesota. Cam is playing against a top 3. Cam played against the 7th worst pass D in the Jets last week, at home, and still was mediocre. It's all about whether you have conviction in your own analysis. Cinci needs this game far more than Minnesota does. I expect them to come out firing on all cylinders. Plus, my opponent is playing AJ Green against me, so if he has a big day, Dalton likely has a big day too.

MAC_32 said:
Dalton?!?!

Lord...
Season totals: Cam is QB6 in my league, while Dalton is QB9, and not many points separate them.This is my choice too for the championship. Dalton has had a few huge games, and I can easily see it happening again vs the Vikings.

I'm leaning towards Dalton having a monster game, while Cam gets the win against the Saints but only has an average fantasy day.
About those rankings, I should clarify that my league is 6pt. Passing TDs.Also, Cam was dealing with a foot injury in the second half of the Jets game and didn't put up very many points after half time. I want to hear more about this injury before I make the call.

MAC_32 said:
Dalton?!?!

Lord...
Season totals: Cam is QB6 in my league, while Dalton is QB9, and not many points separate them.This is my choice too for the championship. Dalton has had a few huge games, and I can easily see it happening again vs the Vikings.

About those rankings, I should clarify that my league is 6pt. Passing TDs.Also, Cam was dealing with a foot injury in the second half of the Jets game and didn't put up very many points after half time. I want to hear more about this injury before I make the call.
It was a stubbed toe and required no treatment, they didn't even X-ray it.

MAC_32 said:
Dalton?!?!

Lord...
Season totals: Cam is QB6 in my league, while Dalton is QB9, and not many points separate them.

This is my choice too for the championship. Dalton has had a few huge games, and I can easily see it happening again vs the Vikings.

Pats, Dolphins, and Chargers are not good vs. the pass either. How did Dalton do vs. them?

Probably should be noted there is only one QB with a better QBR than Cam at home. And it isn't Drew, it's Peyton.

There is quite a bit of overthinking going on in this thread. Guys - stick with what got you there unless the matchup is so horrible you have no choice and it's an obvious call. Look at the numbers a few posts above - Cam is entirely different at home. If you lose, then lose because your guys who got you there got beat. Don't lose because you took out a stud player because of what you deem to be a not so great matchup.
This is the pansiest logic ever, and I will always call people out on it.

No, don't play for the frinedliest loss. Don't start a guy just so if you lose you have some meaningless mental comfort from it.

Play the guy you think will score the most. Period.

I am leaning heavily towards playing Dalton over Cam this weekend. Cinci may be finding themselves in a need to throw situation against the suddenly resurgent Vikings. And Cam just hasn't elevated for big games very often this year (with the exception of the NE game). His best three games were against NYG, TB, and MIN. Otherwise he has been pedestrian. New Orleans has been top 5 against the pass. The odds are not in Cam's favor, IMO. I admit to being a bit hesitant to pull the trigger on this one, but only a little bit.
This move won my league for me. Sorry but Cam just hasn't been clutch in big situations too often. Thanks Dalton :moneybag:

Cam is pretty limited today - his foot seems to be bothering him and Smith left the game injured in the first quarter. The Saints are spying on him and taking away his running, and he has no one to throw to. Top 2 WRs are Lafell and Ginn, with Olsen as his safety net. It's been an ugly game so far.

Users who are viewing this thread