What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Stock Thread (16 Viewers)

I meant to jump in here but is anyone on Clubhouse App ?  They broke the Tesla news 4 minutes before Bloomberg.  Between buying more myself, spreading new to family and friends I got here late. I’ve been little in stocks and 70% crypto and am pushing more into Bitcoin and MARA/RIOT, etc. at this point.

Started selling off GBTC in the last two weeks to load up more MSTR and MARA.

3 months ago my roth ira portfolio was like 80% gbtc/20% ethe

I meant to jump in here but is anyone on Clubhouse App ?  They broke the Tesla news 4 minutes before Bloomberg.  Between buying more myself, spreading new to family and friends I got here late. I’ve been little in stocks and 70% crypto and am pushing more into Bitcoin and MARA/RIOT, etc. at this point.
:shrug:  My username is reserved.  I'm not sure how long before accounts get activated.  Do I need an invite or something?

I'm beans deep in AMZN and GOOGL ....

but I just dipped my big toe into the crypto pool ...

500 RIOT Filled & order in for 250 GBTC 

Very late to the party, I know .... but if Musk is throwing a bizzillion at it, I'll nibble.

Tesla just bought 1.5 billion in bitcoin.

Bitcoin to 50k by mid-week and 100k+ within the next 6 months.

Is a massive tesla short squeeze looming? 
Upset at myself for not dumping some money into GBTC in October or November when it dipped below 11. Oh well, everything else has still done great so no worries, but you were dead on. I'd be closer to my retirement in 5 goal!

Is anyone here diversifying outside of stocks and cash?  I don't mean hedging and bonds or fixed income, I mean different investments like real estate or other?

Is anyone here diversifying outside of stocks and cash?  I don't mean hedging and bonds or fixed income, I mean different investments like real estate or other?
I started acquiring some rental houses/condos in 2017.  Have 6 now, well the 6th is closing in 4 weeks.  18 months or so ago you could find properties returning about 2-2.5% more than you can now, at least in the markets I'm digging around in.

I’ve diversified in real estate (flips and rentals) over the years and crypto as well. Every asset class is up bunch over the last year though. Hell, just look at the sports card market. 

I’ve diversified in real estate (flips and rentals) over the years and crypto as well. Every asset class is up bunch over the last year though. Hell, just look at the sports card market. 
My purchase of a PSA 9 1986 Fleer Michael Jordan in Nov. 2019 is looking strong.  I wanted a 10 as well but was nervous over doing a $20K transaction via Fedex or UPS.  I should have gotten my tail on a plane to make it happen.

Started small positions in CBBT and INND.

Im not sure about INND, but they are available in Walmart and supposedly will be getting deals with other big box stores.

I started acquiring some rental houses/condos in 2017.  Have 6 now, well the 6th is closing in 4 weeks.  18 months or so ago you could find properties returning about 2-2.5% more than you can now, at least in the markets I'm digging around in.
Thanks

Are they local?  Do you manage them yourself or with an agency?  Any regrets?

A little above NAV, but saw this earlier:

Alussa Energy @AlussaEnergy

#WillFerrell brings the humor and truth to @GM’s Big Game commercial. Norway is a leader in #EV and that’s why we’ve announced a business combination with @FREYRBattery to bring the lowest cost and cleanest battery to the market. #cleantechnology $ALUS
SNPR running today. 

Volta Industries, Inc. and Tortoise Acquisition Corp. II Announce Planned Merger Combined Company to Remain on the NYSE

Two years ago I bought about 10 acres of land, 7 of which could be developed.  I've surveyed it and did break off a half acre to sell but beyond that I'm planning to sit on it for a while.     

Thanks

Was a little off on my timeline, the first one I bought was in 2015, house is maybe 10 minutes from me.  It was near foreclosure, needed some work.  I managed it myself for two years on my own to learn the business end of property management.  I am not a handy guy around the house and it forced me to learn to fix small things and also the costs and dealing with vendors that can happen in property management.  I knew i wanted to expand my real estate holdings and I thought learning that before hiring a manager would be valuable experience.  I will say my first tenant there was pretty easy as well.

I hired a manager for that property after two years.  He got enough extra rent through his marketing, and honestly my limited marketing and time to put into finding tenants, to cover his fee.  That has been nice because trust me that the calls with problems will come at the most inconvenient times when you do it yourself.  That was in 2017, that same year I acquired three condos in a college town a couple hours away.  I had lived there before, knew the complex and was familiar with the real estate/property management company.  

I purchased another house last year to place with the same property manager I have locally. So as it stands right now everything I have is under a property manager (two local houses with one company, three condos in a college town with another).  I do have a beach place I bought as preconstruction back in 2017 as well that is just now being completed.  That one has been the biggest appreciation at least from a dollars standpoint of all of them, but I get unsolicited offers all the time from that first house in 2015 offering me in excess of 50% over what I paid. 

As far as regrets, it's easy to say now but it was passing on a second house back in 2015.  I was trying to decide between two similar houses, should have bought both.  I also have had numerous shots at adding another unit at the college complex and lost out.  One over a $500 difference.  Lost a second beach preconstruction unit over a price change that took place over a weekend when I tried to get one under contract on a Friday afternoon.  I can be stubborn and in real estate you should never take negotiations that way.  Of course all those regrets are in a rising price environment, it can't stay this way forever.

• Thanks
Reactions: JAA
Two years ago I bought about 10 acres of land, 7 of which could be developed.  I've surveyed it and did break off a half acre to sell but beyond that I'm planning to sit on it for a while.    
Any restrictions on the land?  How did you choose it?  What sort of parameters did you use to search and evaluate?

Added some $SELB.  Proprietary biologic therapy w/ applications in autoimmunity, enzyme & gene therapy.  Institutional ownership including Vanguard and Blackrock.

• Smile
Thanks

Was a little off on my timeline, the first one I bought was in 2015, house is maybe 10 minutes from me.  It was near foreclosure, needed some work.  I managed it myself for two years on my own to learn the business end of property management.  I am not a handy guy around the house and it forced me to learn to fix small things and also the costs and dealing with vendors that can happen in property management.  I knew i wanted to expand my real estate holdings and I thought learning that before hiring a manager would be valuable experience.  I will say my first tenant there was pretty easy as well.

I hired a manager for that property after two years.  He got enough extra rent through his marketing, and honestly my limited marketing and time to put into finding tenants, to cover his fee.  That has been nice because trust me that the calls with problems will come at the most inconvenient times when you do it yourself.  That was in 2017, that same year I acquired three condos in a college town a couple hours away.  I had lived there before, knew the complex and was familiar with the real estate/property management company.  

I purchased another house last year to place with the same property manager I have locally. So as it stands right now everything I have is under a property manager (two local houses with one company, three condos in a college town with another).  I do have a beach place I bought as preconstruction back in 2017 as well that is just now being completed.  That one has been the biggest appreciation at least from a dollars standpoint of all of them, but I get unsolicited offers all the time from that first house in 2015 offering me in excess of 50% over what I paid. 

As far as regrets, it's easy to say now but it was passing on a second house back in 2015.  I was trying to decide between two similar houses, should have bought both.  I also have had numerous shots at adding another unit at the college complex and lost out.  One over a $500 difference.  Lost a second beach preconstruction unit over a price change that took place over a weekend when I tried to get one under contract on a Friday afternoon.  I can be stubborn and in real estate you should never take negotiations that way.  Of course all those regrets are in a rising price environment, it can't stay this way forever.
Awesome posting, thank you.

Do you mind me asking how you evaluate your overall exposure?  Meaning, how much debt you are willing to take on?  How to plan for the bad scenarios like no/bad renters, maybe Covid even, or even big ticket item failures?  The whole idea of taking on many loans and needing to use collateral like my home or retirement is scary.

Started selling off GBTC in the last two weeks to load up more MSTR and MARA.

3 months ago my roth ira portfolio was like 80% gbtc/20% ethe
What's the scoop on MSTR & MARA? Why them over GBTC? 

And they just popped... too late to get in? Buy in now or wait for a dip? 

Last edited by a moderator:
Little disappointed to only be up 1%. Pre-market looked nice. Still better than the market but some of the early pops were a bit more muted.

Of course with all my discussions on EV chargers, my months long buy of SNPRU is merging with one. Nice 40% pop although I only parked cash with 200 shares and I think the warrants were a 2 for 1 so I didn’t add any like I did for some others to get to round warrant shares. Up about 80% now since I got in back when all SPACs were in the 10-11 range pre-merger.

Awesome posting, thank you.

Do you mind me asking how you evaluate your overall exposure?  Meaning, how much debt you are willing to take on?  How to plan for the bad scenarios like no/bad renters, maybe Covid even, or even big ticket item failures?  The whole idea of taking on many loans and needing to use collateral like my home or retirement is scary.
It was and is scary for me too to do tons of debt.  I have been looking at doing real estate investments since the early 2000's.  I have a good friend who does real estate developing in CA now who originally started at a company with me back in 1998.  When he moved out there he started dabbling in Vegas.  I remember looking at that first development with him and while he could drive a few hours to check on construction, it was a cross country flight for me.  I passed.  Fast forward to now, he owns 25-30 rentals and has six figure passive income from what he's built up just on rentals.

To your point, I'm much more debt averse than he is.  I waited until I was on my own business wise working for myself and had the cash reserves to make it less risky.  I don't leverage debt as much as most do when buying property.  I certainly could have made more by doing so, but you can never tell when the market will turn or you can have a bad renter.  I've been afraid of having issues during Covid, especially in the college units due to online classes, but so far I've been fortunate and not had any delinquencies.  My business being hammered during the pandemic as well has really made me grateful for the cash flows these rentals are spinning off to me each month.

On the big ticket items I'm finally getting enough of scale now to where if a hot water heater goes or something like that I have the cash flow to cover it.  Now a HVAC or heaven forbid a roof on a house is a lot more costly.  When starting out, I'd create a sink fund on the side that I built up over time.  Build you a reserve in there if you can rather than paying the debt down or spending those first cash flows.  That way you have cash on hand to handle a larger repair when the time comes.

One other thing I'd suggest is build yourself a budget before you make any offer.  Try and research the property taxes and always keep in mind those properties will often have homestead exemptions on them that you won't qualify for as a landlord.  Make sure you budget for that, repairs, vacancies at end of leases, etc.  You can take a simple excel file and budget that way.  When you do buy your first property, I'd suggest keeping history in excel as well.  I have a financial statement annually on each property.  I can tell you what maintenance has been historically on any of my properties.  When you go to buy your next one, that information is so valuable because you aren't guessing as much if you own similar plans, age, square footage, etc.

• Thanks
What's the scoop on MSTR & MARA? Why them over GBTC? 

And they just popped... too late to get in? Buy in now or wait for a dip? 
Mara is a bitcoin mining operation, direct competition with RIOT to be the biggest of it's kind.  Current mining capability is about 55-60  btc a day and growing.

MSTR- guys on this board a lot more knowledgeable about fundamentals than me aren't fans of it, but they currently hold 72,000+ btc in their treasury.  I think their business will soon start a new direction based around bitcoin.  Largest Non-government or trust holder in the world of btc.

Anything bitcoin related while it's under 50k is a steal imo

Last edited by a moderator:
Any restrictions on the land?  How did you choose it?  What sort of parameters did you use to search and evaluate?
Some restrictions from the DNR because of a wetland/marsh that connects to a lake.  It's all zoned multi-family residential so you could build anything from single family to condos/apartments.  I wanted land to have and play on with a long term investment value and potential for developing and selling.  My wife wanted an old farm house to restore.  This had it all and we found it on Zillow.  

My purchase of a PSA 9 1986 Fleer Michael Jordan in Nov. 2019 is looking strong.  I wanted a 10 as well but was nervous over doing a $20K transaction via Fedex or UPS.  I should have gotten my tail on a plane to make it happen.
Can’t win ‘em all but even getting the one you did has to be 3x by now, right?

I sold off about 25% of my pot stock ETFs which have grown into a huge percentage of our retirement lol. Put it all in ARKG/ARKF. 

I have 7.5 acres undeveloped near a marina about an hour east of Nashville. (Actually trying to sell if anyone is interested) Fundrise too but not too much there. 

• Thanks
Man, I need to look at my remaining sports card collection to see what it's worth. Had started trying to complete the 1957 Football and 1967 Baseball for fun but only made it about 25 cards in for each. 

you bet 5% precious metals (it was 10% but stock increases stole about half their position)

RE about 50%

• Thanks
Little disappointed to only be up 1%. Pre-market looked nice. Still better than the market but some of the early pops were a bit more muted.

Of course with all my discussions on EV chargers, my months long buy of SNPRU is merging with one. Nice 40% pop although I only parked cash with 200 shares and I think the warrants were a 2 for 1 so I didn’t add any like I did for some others to get to round warrant shares. Up about 80% now since I got in back when all SPACs were in the 10-11 range pre-merger.
So what's the plan with Amazon?  Just resign ourselves to working 2-3 extra years?

Real estate is a great portfolio diversifier. It's like Bitcoin, there's only so much available until we start settling on the moon. 
Yeah, I just need to figure out what to do with it other than sit and pay taxes every year. We like the land but now the wife wants to be on the water, not just near it.

It was hard for me to get to this point but I just sold all of my CBBT, ZOM, ENZC for on average 300% profit. I sold half of my SFIO, the ones I held from .014, and held on to the other half that I bought at .06

I just couldn't believe that the constant 20%+ gains would keep going. Maybe they will and I'll regret it but I didn't want to sell half and watch them tank so I unloaded them all except for SFIO.

Will look for some more cheaper plays.

Users who are viewing this thread