What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Stock Thread (9 Viewers)

Bitcoin.....wait
If you ever felt like “it was too late” to get in now is your chance.

It bounced and held 55 and the RSI is at a 6 month low.  It’s not imposable this thing crashes to $1, that risk will never will be completely zero.    But if you wanted to get in the space because you think I there is something to this going to the moon long term this is about as good an entry as you can ever ask for.

I bought more this AM but this time I added some ETH with the buy.

Talk to me about the risks of Blockfi’s 8% interest on stable coins you hold there. These are supposed to be backed 1:1 with USD, but they can’t be paying that much interest unless there’s some risk involved, right?

Talk to me about the risks of Blockfi’s 8% interest on stable coins you hold there. These are supposed to be backed 1:1 with USD, but they can’t be paying that much interest unless there’s some risk involved, right?
I'm no expert but they're giving out loans to crypto yolo'ers who love to get leverage on a volatile currency, so I guess the risk is that the whole thing blows up in their face.  They are not FDIC insured so if they do blow up that could mean your cash is gone as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
The keyword here...
So are they not? I listened to the Blockfi CEO on the Animal Spirits podcast this week, and I thought he indicated that for the US based stable coins anyway, this was the case and was third-party verified. 

I did read about one of the Chinese-based stable coins only being an estimated 70% backed, so I guess that is the risk for all of these. 

SFBayDuck said:
So are they not? I listened to the Blockfi CEO on the Animal Spirits podcast this week, and I thought he indicated that for the US based stable coins anyway, this was the case and was third-party verified. 

I did read about one of the Chinese-based stable coins only being an estimated 70% backed, so I guess that is the risk for all of these. 
Here is an example of Gemini's verification. That is one of the two stablecoins that BlockFi's website mentions. It's better than nothing (and much better than Tether), but I don't think it's very strong.

Overall, the idea that you can earn 8% on a deposit certainly sends alarms. My feeling is that there is a great deal of leverage in this space that is poorly understood due to lack of regulations/disclosures. Unregulated lending always seems like a great idea until it crashes.

Last edited by a moderator:
There are 119 publicly traded companies with market caps between $1-$10,000 and I want to buy one of them.  Does anyone have any insight into the process?  Thoughts on how much it would cost, in addition to the purchase price, in order to put everything in my name?

There are 119 publicly traded companies with market caps between $1-$10,000 and I want to buy one of them.  Does anyone have any insight into the process?  Thoughts on how much it would cost, in addition to the purchase price, in order to put everything in my name?
Hostile takeover, buy up 51% of the stock on the open market?  Can you tell us which one so we can all get in before you start buying?  

Cramer

Sounds like Cramer gave a little plug to QS, DKNG, and PLTR (and 7 others) which he thinks are good "buy the dip candidates". I'm hoping it will give a little boost to those 3 this morning!  

Did you spend some time in the political forum recently?  Welcome.

There will need to be a catalyst to get GME ascending higher. I don't think this mornings Gamestop announcements (CEO succession plan & Form 8-K), Gensler being sworn in on Saturday or DFV's purchases on Friday are that catalyst. 
Gotcha.

I was just kidding around.

Some say we will be laughing about this in a few years.....That's all I got...
I don’t know what the full recommended list is although I am sure I own some but I do expect to be laughing about it in a few years. There’s a lot of potential that’s been pummeled but will be solid investments. We aren’t on a course for going back to ICE engines, non-clean energy, depositing checks buy walking into banks, using paper to manage books and legal documents, watching TV with cable boxes only and lots of other technology backslides. There are companies I won’t ever like (DoorDash, for example) that are purely based on a pandemic and still not profitable rather than realizing that I get fresher/hotter/better food in person or grabbing my own take out (via my autonomous car), but the future will keep rolling and a lot of the hot stuff will cool way down and solid companies will thrive.

In the same way that it still amazes me what the stock prices were for some companies last March, we may be thinking that in a year or two about stuff bought now. We’ll see.

Will be tempted to do some dumpster diving this afternoon. I moved some money around from crappy SPACs to QS on Friday (off by a day), may look if there’s more like that.

Dumpster diving on Tatooed chef.  
Frustrating one here. I had been holding onto it since I’m close to long term gains and I like the company's products. Still up on it since we bought in way back when SPACs weren’t really popular. Don’t plan on dumping it now but it’s just gotten dragged down with the rest.

Fauci mentioned the HGEN drug in House testimony yesterday. Lenzilulimab. Bottom of page 7. Seems like a big positive to me. 

https://docs.house.gov/meetings/VC/VC00/20210415/111426/HHRG-117-VC00-Wstate-FauciMDA-20210415.pdf

Down only 4% today....

;)

First time buyer of HGEN

In at 14.93
One of a few stocks that I haven't dumped today. Hindsight, should have let it go.
I’m not sure there’s a stock that makes less sense then HGEN.  It’s literally been nothing but good news yet it’s a boat anchor.  So weird.  

Frustrating one here. I had been holding onto it since I’m close to long term gains and I like the company's products. Still up on it since we bought in way back when SPACs weren’t really popular. Don’t plan on dumping it now but it’s just gotten dragged down with the rest.
It should come back.  I sold most in the $25-$27 range and since been buying when I notice it under $20 and selling when it's over $20.  They are actually making money, albeit not much.

Will be tempted to do some dumpster diving this afternoon. I moved some money around from crappy SPACs to QS on Friday (off by a day), may look if there’s more like that.
A lot of growth on sale. Been in free-fall practically for a month. I'm holding QS, LAZR, SPCE, JMIA, PLTR. Been accumulating on the way down but I'm about tapped out. I'm not capitulating, but stopped buying. Do us all a solid and buy a few million shares of each of those. TIA.

I added a little NNOX. Nothing has changed. Every pre-revenue stock and small growth stock is going down for reasons unrelated to the companies themselves. I feel like a lot of people have no idea what they own which breeds panic and impatience.
I feel like this is where having information and being prepared gets you paid off in the end. We’ll see. 

I’m not sure there’s a stock that makes less sense then HGEN.  It’s literally been nothing but good news yet it’s a boat anchor.  So weird.  
Yea I can’t explain it. Just going to try and take advantage of it and if it doesn’t work out, I still think I made a good bet. 

Every pre-revenue stock and small growth stock is going down for reasons unrelated to the companies themselves. I feel like a lot of people have no idea what they own which breeds panic and impatience.
This is me. But although I'm a bit nervous for sure, I'm holding everything. I haven't even been doing this a year yet and some of the ones I'm sweating I've only held for a few months. I'm holding all of them.

This has however cemented my feeling that I am a mutual fund guy and won't be acquiring any individual stocks going forward, barring of course an event like last March, but even then I can't see more than 5% of our holdings from here on. I did have some wins as well though thanks to the people here, and who knows, maybe the ones I am down so much on become winners in the long run as well.

Yea I can’t explain it. Just going to try and take advantage of it and if it doesn’t work out, I still think I made a good bet. 
Wish I could average down but can’t right now without selling other which I don’t want to do.  So here I sit and wait.   

Users who are viewing this thread