What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Stock Thread (22 Viewers)

KALA reported this morning. I don't know anything about them but it looks like they missed and they're down 
They beat on EPS and missed on revenue.

This has always been a second half of the year play for me and I'm holding.  Eysuvis just launched on January 7th during a time when not a lot of people are going to their eye doctors.  

I think they have a good product without a lot of competition leaving Doctors without a lot of options, they should prescribe and the sales will come.

Am I disappointed in the rev number, sure a bit, but I have lower expectations for first half of year than second half.

They are also a good candidate for a buyout and would not be surprised if that happens either.

Lesson to myself not to chase the hot stock after a big pullback trying to chase a bounce.  PTON had rich pricing to begin with and this recall will set them back years.  Norditrac also spent a ton on ads last quarter attempting to get people interested in their bike.  It amazes me how fast the fitness market gets flooded when a new trend hits.
:goodposting: When it first IPOed I told friends it was a great short.  Then of course pandemic. Still sticking by my original assessment. 

For a taxable rainy-day account that isn't working hard enough, three shares of AMZN or 300 shares of T?

Last edited by a moderator:
OKE is my favorite stock, pulling ahead of SE as the largest holding in my trading account.  I made the mistake of taking out some of my gains back in November, won't be doing that again.  Just going to let it keep compounding for years to come.

HZN about to announce earnings tomorrow am. If someone cares to due diligence, have at it.

Price is down a bit last couple of days but common sense tells me it should be a positive report.

Company is one of, if not THE largest manufacturer of trailer hitches and towing products.

Covid doing wonders for their business with all of the camping and boating people are doing instead of traveling.

Business is seasonal so this report and next one should be the best. 

My favorite thing about the stock market is that you can crush it like amazon and Apple did, and your stock will tank. You can also report horrible earnings, and your stock will also tank.

Having stocks is fun and makes perfect sense. 
or a Board Member of a worthless company can tweet a picture of him licking an ice cream cone and the stock can skyrocket.

OKE is my favorite stock, pulling ahead of SE as the largest holding in my trading account.  I made the mistake of taking out some of my gains back in November, won't be doing that again.  Just going to let it keep compounding for years to come.
May 14th next pay date. :thumbup:   7.11% dividend yield be still my beating heart. :wub:

They were warning about this for months.

And this will be a blip in the grand scheme of this company. Stocks like this will drop 20% as easily as they run up 100% as this did when I was talking about it.

And yes I expected a really soft quarter based on global conditions and China being really soft.....the sell off is always as exaggerated as the run ups in tech like this. So yeah 20% down is a tough pill.....and I think it is over done. Big time.

So yeah......I expected it. And I also expect the stock to turn around a lot in the future as quickly as it came down. Covid really hit this sector hard. So the comparisons to last year are simply bad. Apples and oranges. 

It might be a pet peeve of yours......but this is par for the course when investing in these kinds of stocks which I warned about over and over and over. 

I also understand your POV Humpback. So I get it. And I respect it.
Link to where they were warning about this for months?

The pet peeve isn't small cap money losing companies being volatile lol, it's the "I knew it" or "this was expected" part. No, it wasn't expected to be this bad, if it was you wouldn't have been recommending people get and stay long at much higher levels than here. The stock certainly wouldn't have dropped 20% (and another 5-6% today) if it was "expected".

Sure, it's possible this is just a temporary blip on the way to becoming a 10 bagger, but the quarter was a disaster, really no point in trying to put lipstick on a pig.

We're all big boys here.

Free to take the (free) advice here or not.

This thread is better with multiple opinions in it, including @Todems.

Your decisions are your own.

And the results are entirely yours.

ETSY is an absolute monster. Getting beat up after hours because those are the times we live in. Adding a little here and will see if gets worse tomorrow.

I would like to take this opportunity to be temporarily excited about PYPL before IT'S COMPLETELY ####ING GONE BY EOD TOMORROW.
I’ve got no energy for these darn earnings reports. So many beats and you never know if it will be good or bad. Did the Chief Landscaping Officer leave or did they say something cautious? Blammo.

It’s hard to be patient!

The worrisome thing here is a lot of these fun speculative plays have broken really major support this week.  As much as we've all gotten kind of comfortable with a bunch of them repeatedly bouncing off their floor they have finally crashed through that floor and I think the downside from here is underestimated.

My worry would be that some of these names can unwind all the way to or near pre-covid levels, which is still a long ways down from where we'd gotten comfortable with them sitting.

TDOC and FSLY are two I've got my eye on along with others.  I'm getting really nervous holding stuff like CRSP, NNOX, FLGT, etc too.

Strange times indeed. When a major headline is that Bitcoin Cash (BCH) is up 50% because Robinhooders are piling into it with their Doge Coin profits, it just makes me fear that the whole house of cards is about to come tumbling down. I’m mostly leaving my core holdings and index funds and ETF’s etc. as is, but with my gambling account, I’ve never had such a high percentage of cash. Can’t decide what to take for a ride, all the risky stuff just seems too risky

The worrisome thing here is a lot of these fun speculative plays have broken really major support this week.  As much as we've all gotten kind of comfortable with a bunch of them repeatedly bouncing off their floor they have finally crashed through that floor and I think the downside from here is underestimated.

My worry would be that some of these names can unwind all the way to or near pre-covid levels, which is still a long ways down from where we'd gotten comfortable with them sitting.

TDOC and FSLY are two I've got my eye on along with others.  I'm getting really nervous holding stuff like CRSP, NNOX, FLGT, etc too.
FWIW, that hack Cramer doesn’t like FSLY, he thinks it’s going down more. He might be right. I’m staying away from these type of plays until they show some signs of stabilizing.

We're all big boys here.

Free to take the (free) advice here or not.

This thread is better with multiple opinions in it, including @Todems.

Your decisions are your own.

And the results are entirely yours.
Yeah, I apologize if that seems snarky, not my intent. Like I said, it's just a pet peeve of mine. I value his opinion which is why I asked.

FYI I own it and bought some more on the weakness, but I certainly didn't expect the quarter to be that bad (nor did the market obviously). It's not just this report either, the last one wasn't good and the stock's been in a clear downtrend for ~3 months now. I guess I was just hoping for something more substantial than "it was expected".

Yep. I've mentioned this before but the moves in many of these names have been so extreme that some of them could get cut in half from here and still be a double or triple from pre-pandemic levels. I don't expect it to happen, but it's always a possibility if they fall completely out of favor. There's really no "valuation" to fall back on either.

FSLY getting smoked after their earnings report.

Strange times indeed. When a major headline is that Bitcoin Cash (BCH) is up 50% because Robinhooders are piling into it with their Doge Coin profits, it just makes me fear that the whole house of cards is about to come tumbling down. I’m mostly leaving my core holdings and index funds and ETF’s etc. as is, but with my gambling account, I’ve never had such a high percentage of cash. Can’t decide what to take for a ride, all the risky stuff just seems too risky
Getting many adds a day for crypto-trading sites. One (I think binance) was talking about how easy it is to buy them with your credit card. This isn't going to end well, but it did remind me of people arguing with Eminence back in the day that his credit card spending wasn't an asset. The leverage in the space is unregulated and likely extremely high.

Link to where they were warning about this for months?

The pet peeve isn't small cap money losing companies being volatile lol, it's the "I knew it" or "this was expected" part. No, it wasn't expected to be this bad, if it was you wouldn't have been recommending people get and stay long at much higher levels than here. The stock certainly wouldn't have dropped 20% (and another 5-6% today) if it was "expected".

Sure, it's possible this is just a temporary blip on the way to becoming a 10 bagger, but the quarter was a disaster, really no point in trying to put lipstick on a pig.
I think you are misinterpreting me. The quarter was expected to be soft....they had mentioned these things in talks with analysts.....and lot’s of analysts covering the stock expected 4-5 cents per share loss.

When it came out it was 6 cents per share loss.....the street reacted....and the 20% plunge happened. So the I am not sitting here saying I expected a 20% losing day....but I was well aware the quarter was going to be soft and in the grand scheme of investing in this stock....a non event. 

If you do not like my cavalier post of “it was expected” what can I tell you. But it was....it was a penny to two penny per share more loss than most analysts were expecting. The 20% over sell on the stock is an chance to get in if you did not, average down if you want to increase the exposure....and to those that are at their limit with it....I say relax, sit tight, it is a long term hold to begin with and no one should ever be putting money into something they need money for soon.

And....let’s not forget what I always say and have been consistent on......when it went up 125% from the initial time we mentioned it.....sell half....your original risk is now out of the stock....free roll from that moment on. 

HZN about to announce earnings tomorrow am. If someone cares to due diligence, have at it.

Price is down a bit last couple of days but common sense tells me it should be a positive report.

Company is one of, if not THE largest manufacturer of trailer hitches and towing products.

Covid doing wonders for their business with all of the camping and boating people are doing instead of traveling.

Business is seasonal so this report and next one should be the best. 
https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20210506005334/en/Horizon-Global-Reports-Financial-Results-for-First-Quarter-2021/

Seems pretty good to me ... But I have no idea how to read these things.

Sit tight. 

MRK was a nice add on the 7% sell off. Pays a great dividend. 

INTC was a nice add on the weakness. 

Just pick your spots on over sold high quality dividend stocks. 

Meantime MDU crushed it. “as expected” LOL. It had an earnings beat by .06 cents a share with Q1 GAAP EPS of .26 cents a share. Forward Guidance also went up. This was our infrastructure play. Construction services crushed.

Was trading at 35 after hours after the earnings announcement. 

I think you are misinterpreting me. The quarter was expected to be soft....they had mentioned these things in talks with analysts.....and lot’s of analysts covering the stock expected 4-5 cents per share loss.

When it came out it was 6 cents per share loss.....the street reacted....and the 20% plunge happened. So the I am not sitting here saying I expected a 20% losing day....but I was well aware the quarter was going to be soft and in the grand scheme of investing in this stock....a non event. 

If you do not like my cavalier post of “it was expected” what can I tell you. But it was....it was a penny to two penny per share more loss than most analysts were expecting. The 20% over sell on the stock is an chance to get in if you did not, average down if you want to increase the exposure....and to those that are at their limit with it....I say relax, sit tight, it is a long term hold to begin with and no one should ever be putting money into something they need money for soon.

And....let’s not forget what I always say and have been consistent on......when it went up 125% from the initial time we mentioned it.....sell half....your original risk is now out of the stock....free roll from that moment on. 
I agree with the general theme of risk management, volatility, etc, but where I disagree is about this specific quarterly report.

Yes, it was expected to be "soft", but clearly not this soft. It's not just "a penny or two" miss on the EPS either- they missed big time on revenues, and margins, orders/backlog, expenses, etc. were all worse than expected. I own the stock and I'm trying to find reasons to be positive as well, but man, I don't see how anyone can objectively think anything other than that was simply an awful report which was far worse than expected. Clearly the market is telling us it was.  :sadbanana:

In any event, I've said my piece and I respect your opinion. Here's hoping things improve in the near future.

Yeah it’s hard watching the “falling knife” but this is sector wide....let’s put it in perspective. All the Cell/EV stocks are getting hammered. 

So keep that in mind. The baby being thrown out with the bath water here. 

Stay long.....and look at all the winners in your portfolio to make you feel better. 

When you have 20 green and two red.....you are doing amazingly well. So put things in perspective. 

Yeah it’s hard watching the “falling knife” but this is sector wide....let’s put it in perspective. All the Cell/EV stocks are getting hammered. 

So keep that in mind. The baby being thrown out with the bath water here. 

Stay long.....and look at all the winners in your portfolio to make you feel better. 

When you have 20 green and two red.....you are doing amazingly well. So put things in perspective. 
How about 20 red and two green?

:unsure:

FYI BLDP is at where I initially bought it. So this is a support level I hope it holds. 

Again.....super confident long term. Be patient with it. In a few years I hope we are all toasting to this one......and I truly expect we all will. Just don’t go nuts. 

Master list is the key......this is the pepper in the big bowl of chili. Remember the chili is mostly beef. That is the master list!!!

Meantime MDU hit a new 1 year high today.......I have a price target of 40.....but I am sure many of you are up 30 plus % some 35-40%....feel free to cash it out here if you want the trade. Is there more upside? Yeah I think it can squeeze out another 5-10% but again up to you all what you want to do. We are holding a bit longer....collecting the nice dividend too. 

After ETSY crushed and still went down, I sold FVRR yesterday figuring whatever they reported wouldn't matter (I am right so far.) Trimmed FLGT for the same reason (my cost basis is likely way lower than most here so I'm still holding a decent amount.) Sold DKNG based on PENN's action despite great earnings. Leaving SQ alone. Basically doing my own mini-rotation, trimming/selling some growth profits (those reporting this week) and adding or initiating a few more dividend-type or blue chip positions. Nothing like VZ, but started/added to TTC and FDX, added to NEE, added to COST, DIS, and MSFT. 

Users who are viewing this thread