Jump to content
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Stock Thread


Recommended Posts

Just now, Desert_Power said:

Unless you get in a battleground stock early, the winning move seems to not play.

But if those who are late to go long end up losing then surely there is opportunity on the other side?  My broker is showing 21% of the AMC float short and they are charging interest at 6.5%.  It will likely go up as the stock climbs.  I put in a short order at $19.87 and may sell some puts if that executes. 

  • Thinking 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, NajehHejan said:

I was gonna give really good stonks advice.........but then I got high

 

Sorry for the boring ask, but does anyone have a recommendation on a nice 4-5% dividend stock with nice growth potential as well? Trying to rebalance some stuff here, need some safety with swoon capability.

A dividend yield that high doesn't really signal growth to me. UWMC will be mentioned as many here believe they are undervalued.  Generally growth dividend stocks are going to offer lower initial yield, but greater capital growth through time. I think of things like BEP, COST, or AMT in that bucket.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Capella said:

No way in hell I would do this. 

The broker ended up rejecting my short request.  When this has happened in the past, the short turned out very profitable...they are only lending shares to their preferred clients I suppose.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Caveman33 said:

The broker ended up rejecting my short request.  When this has happened in the past, the short turned out very profitable...they are only lending shares to their preferred clients I suppose.

I’m all for the risks but man to hell with messing with this. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Caveman33 said:

The broker ended up rejecting my short request.  When this has happened in the past, the short turned out very profitable...they are only lending shares to their preferred clients I suppose.

Can't you just do a synthetic short?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, nysfl2 said:

What the heck got into QS today? I've just grown accustomed to seeing red numbers next to those letters.

Growth is back, baby, and it’s taking the whole gang with it!

  • Love 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, Navin Johnson said:

Can't you just do a synthetic short?

That is a good idea and I will have to look into it.  But my options level is limited to maybe 2 so I can't sell calls or do spreads, etc.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, Capella said:

I’m all for the risks but man to hell with messing with this. 

No kidding. I know for a fact that buying AMC at these prices is a losing game long term but no chance I’d risk the insanity. You couldn’t pay me to buy the stock of a losing money, declining revenue, huge competition, overloaded with debt so high that interest payments dwarf years ago peak cash flow that’s currently negative right now meme stock that’s truly in trouble fundamentally. You also couldn’t pay me to bet against a horde of people who don’t care whether the company is worth what they are paying.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Nigel said:

I hope there's room on the bus for FLGT

It was trading at $18 one year ago.

I know some people got swept up and bought into when it inexplicably ran up to $170 and that sucks, but last year was abnormal. It’s been an incredible performer. It’s also stupid cheap and will be fine long term, but I think people need to reset their expectations after last year. That wasn’t normal. If you jumped in at $130 or more it’ll get there, but not in a week or even a few months.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, urbanhack said:

and NNOX

and .....

how many can i add?  lol

This one is different. CEO and company haven’t performed so they need a catalyst. That’s different than all of the growth companies that exceeded expectations but got indiscriminately hammered. Follow the company, not the stock (unless you’re just trading)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, McBokonon said:

It was trading at $18 one year ago.

I know some people got swept up and bought into when it inexplicably ran up to $170 and that sucks, but last year was abnormal. It’s been an incredible performer. It’s also stupid cheap and will be fine long term,

I'd think there would be shoppers sniffing around. I can issue stock to buy growth AND $1B in cash for a couple bil? Sign me up.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

I'd think there would be shoppers sniffing around. I can issue stock to buy growth AND $1B in cash for a couple bil? Sign me up.

I agree. I don’t want that to happen but if it does the premium will be pretty sweet.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

41 minutes ago, Desert_Power said:

A dividend yield that high doesn't really signal growth to me. UWMC will be mentioned as many here believe they are undervalued.  Generally growth dividend stocks are going to offer lower initial yield, but greater capital growth through time. I think of things like BEP, COST, or AMT in that bucket.

True, but my NLY had done great lately and that dividend is way bigger.  So you never know.

What I'm personally going for out of UWMC is reasonable stock performance and decent dividend growth. At this yield range you don't need much more.

BTW NLY is a bit high right now.  I would buy.  And if anyone recommends T someone please kneecap them.  :ninja:

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Sand said:

And if anyone recommends T someone please kneecap them.

Sometimes the best moves are the ones you don't make. A few weeks ago, I was all set to turn a rainy-day fund into 300 shares of T. Now researching other candidates.

  • Love 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

Trying to remember the last time there was a universal, "Aw, HELL NO" around here.

The often repeated saying seems apt here “markets can stay irrational longer than you can stay solvent.”

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

What's AMZN really getting out of this MGM deal? Is this about the studios? 'Cause when the headlines of the acquisition are Bond movies and Shark Tank, consider me underwhelmed.

  • Laughing 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

What's AMZN really getting out of this MGM deal? Is this about the studios? 'Cause when the headlines of the acquisition are Bond movies and Shark Tank, consider me underwhelmed.

More garbage (other than Bond) to toss onto Prime 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

What's AMZN really getting out of this MGM deal? Is this about the studios? 'Cause when the headlines of the acquisition are Bond movies and Shark Tank, consider me underwhelmed.

I haven't heard a single pundit in favor of the deal so it's probably a great one. 

 

Of course it could be a vehicle for Bezos to remake Robocop starring himself. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, Capella said:

More garbage (other than Bond) to toss onto Prime 

I think future content plays into this deal.

That's the driver, IMO.

Plus Craig's Casino Royale.  Can never get enough of that Bond film.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, identikit said:

I think future content plays into this deal.

That's the driver, IMO.

Plus Craig's Casino Royale.  Can never get enough of that Bond film.

It’s all about content, especially when the AT&T deal sucks up more. The price is 0.5% of Amazon’s market cap so it’s a tiny price to pay to try and expand Prime to be a real competitor to Netflix. I think the LOTR and that other big series could be huge drivers so they want to make sure they’ve got more behind the shows. I don’t know if Epix adds much but IMDB is a cool app with a ton of movies and that’s part of Prime.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

What's AMZN really getting out of this MGM deal? Is this about the studios? 'Cause when the headlines of the acquisition are Bond movies and Shark Tank, consider me underwhelmed.

A lot of mismanaged Intellectual Property they can leverage/reboot/remake, one of MGM’s biggest issues has been their debt and dealing with bankruptcy from not that long ago. They’ve also been shopping themselves for a few years and some projects have languished until a buyer was found. Amazon is probably mainly interested in a pretty large tv catalog/studio that made recent hits like Vikings, Fargo, Handmaids Tale, etc.

A new Stargate tv franchise would be exciting for example, at one point it rivaled Star Trek and other big sci-fi franchises. Or imagine Robocop rebooted with actual writing and modern FX with Amazon’s $$$ behind it (let’s just forget about the 2014 remake.)

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, stbugs said:

It’s all about content, especially when the AT&T deal sucks up more. The price is 0.5% of Amazon’s market cap so it’s a tiny price to pay to try and expand Prime to be a real competitor to Netflix. I think the LOTR and that other big series could be huge drivers so they want to make sure they’ve got more behind the shows. I don’t know if Epix adds much but IMDB is a cool app with a ton of movies and that’s part of Prime.

They should really fix the interface of their prime app. It sucks so much. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, Capella said:

They should really fix the interface of their prime app. It sucks so much. 

Which one, phone or TV? If phone, I’ve only ever use Hulu for live. Just don’t travel long distance enough anymore. That said, I agree on the TV one. Could be loads better and I’d assume they are working on it. They don’t have the content breadth of the others yet. 

Edited by stbugs
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, stbugs said:
4 hours ago, JAA said:

Sure.  Hence why I stated it as my opinion and not fact.  See what I did there?

For your concept in the second paragraph, please explain to me the difference in that point to Steam.  IMHO they are the same thing which already means its solved.  FWIW - I could sell my steam account as I do own the rights to log into it.

Well, first Steam is for PC Games, right? Kind of like a PC console so how does Steam help you with XBox and PlayStation? That’s a big difference. Does GameStop sell games for PCs? Second, if you are talking about selling your account then you aren’t the target account, what you are talking about is borderline piracy in that no one like my sons is going to buy an account for each game.

you win

:banned:

  • Laughing 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, stbugs said:

Which one, phone or TV? If phone, I’ve only ever use Hulu for live. Just don’t travel long distance enough anymore. That said, I agree on the TV one. Could be loads better and I’d assume they are working on it. They don’t have the content breadth of the others yet. 

Tv only for me. Haven’t used the phone one. If they want to get to Netflix’s level it has to be an easier app to use. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Buckna said:

A lot of mismanaged Intellectual Property they can leverage/reboot/remake, one of MGM’s biggest issues has been their debt and dealing with bankruptcy from not that long ago. They’ve also been shopping themselves for a few years and some projects have languished until a buyer was found. Amazon is probably mainly interested in a pretty large tv catalog/studio that made recent hits like Vikings, Fargo, Handmaids Tale, etc.

A new Stargate tv franchise would be exciting for example, at one point it rivaled Star Trek and other big sci-fi franchises. Or imagine Robocop rebooted with actual writing and modern FX with Amazon’s $$$ behind it (let’s just forget about the 2014 remake.)

Yep. Content is king. I'd assume there is also some cost savings in developing new content when you own a studio. Amazon has struggled making original movies and has bought their most successful releases, Manchester by the Sea and The Big Sick directly at Sundance. They paid $75 million for Borat 2 and $125 million for Coming to America 2. Buying single movies doesn't seem like a profitable way forward.

Another way to look at it is $8.5 B they paid for MGM is half of Netflix's content budget for this year.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Capella said:

Tv only for me. Haven’t used the phone one. If they want to get to Netflix’s level it has to be an easier app to use. 

Don’t disagree at all. I’d assume that purchasing MGM is part of expanding that. I think Prime really started as a we want to have some decent original content to make the prime membership worth it and to make it stickier. I’d have to think that with some of the success they’ve had and some of the new projects that are underway including MGM that they have to improve the app. You’d think that the app wouldn’t really be a difficult proposition. You don’t have to change the show page/playing the video or even the preview part when you have a show selected, just the search/browsing part.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

As for Hgen, it seems like the eua application announcement should be tomorrow. They are at some science nerd conference and they said it would be submitted by the end of the month. Seems to line up. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, stbugs said:

It’s all about content, especially when the AT&T deal sucks up more. The price is 0.5% of Amazon’s market cap so it’s a tiny price to pay to try and expand Prime to be a real competitor to Netflix. I think the LOTR and that other big series could be huge drivers so they want to make sure they’ve got more behind the shows. I don’t know if Epix adds much but IMDB is a cool app with a ton of movies and that’s part of Prime.

Found this and tore through The Detectorists.  Hilarious show.

Anyway, there is a content war going on and anyone who has some is going to be snapped up by the big boys.  Not surprised at all.  The LOTR thing folds right in with the new Amazon series coming out (costing like 1B, crazy stuff!).

Anyway, evil is good - buy AMZN.  (Sorry, FrittersnFondue...)  :stirspot:

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Sand said:

Found this and tore through The Detectorists.  Hilarious show.

Anyway, there is a content war going on and anyone who has some is going to be snapped up by the big boys.  Not surprised at all.  The LOTR thing folds right in with the new Amazon series coming out (costing like 1B, crazy stuff!).

Anyway, evil is good - buy AMZN.  (Sorry, FrittersnFondue...)  :stirspot:

I’m not planning to sell any of my Amazon for a while. They’ve got a lot of really solid growing businesses/profit centers. I was reading about Prime taking a big step forward with the LOTRs stuff and Wheel of Time. I hadn’t ever heard/read of that but it’s got a big following. You’d think there would be a lot of potential crossover of fans.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, stbugs said:

I’m not planning to sell any of my Amazon for a while. They’ve got a lot of really solid growing businesses/profit centers. I was reading about Prime taking a big step forward with the LOTRs stuff and Wheel of Time. I hadn’t ever heard/read of that but it’s got a big following. You’d think there would be a lot of potential crossover of fans.

WoT should be awesome.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, kevzilla said:
6 hours ago, Sand said:

And if anyone recommends T someone please kneecap them.

Sometimes the best moves are the ones you don't make. A few weeks ago, I was all set to turn a rainy-day fund into 300 shares of T. Now researching other candidates.

I have T from last summer. Liked it better when the price was up, but will still be a nice return.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Sand said:

Found this and tore through The Detectorists.  Hilarious show.

Anyway, there is a content war going on and anyone who has some is going to be snapped up by the big boys.  Not surprised at all.  The LOTR thing folds right in with the new Amazon series coming out (costing like 1B, crazy stuff!).

Anyway, evil is good - buy AMZN.  (Sorry, FrittersnFondue...)  :stirspot:

You're not doing this right.

  • Laughing 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, stbugs said:

I’m not planning to sell any of my Amazon for a while. They’ve got a lot of really solid growing businesses/profit centers. I was reading about Prime taking a big step forward with the LOTRs stuff and Wheel of Time. I hadn’t ever heard/read of that but it’s got a big following. You’d think there would be a lot of potential crossover of fans.

:thumbup:  Same here

Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, 2Squirrels1Nut said:
3 hours ago, stbugs said:

I’m not planning to sell any of my Amazon for a while. They’ve got a lot of really solid growing businesses/profit centers. I was reading about Prime taking a big step forward with the LOTRs stuff and Wheel of Time. I hadn’t ever heard/read of that but it’s got a big following. You’d think there would be a lot of potential crossover of fans.

:thumbup:  Same here

:diamond: hands over here

  • Love 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
  • Create New...