What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Stock Thread (22 Viewers)

Basically the exact same story here ($117 cost average plus I did some trading around the core). It's 14% of our individual stocks which is fine, but I always want more and stupid discipline keeps stopping me.
$158 here with 5% in but I traded/banked for another $48.50 in profits across the remaining shares.  Started with three shares around $80 and have been adding anytime it pulls back.  Usually it craters in the pre-market of the day earning are released and that's a great time to add.  So wish I'd sold off some Amazon and made a big splash on the last pullback around $200.

If you're not planning to hold AMZN long-term then ~3500 seems like a heck of a good place to sell.
I thought most here were under the opinion it was a stone cold lock for $4000 by the end of the year?  Of course AMC and GME will have doubled by then  :clyde:

If trch continues to fall is it a buy? Meta is trading around 13 dollars right now and I know they are going to to be listed as trch and trade at their price to start, but it feels like they are going up

Lol man if you want to unload Amazon to buy amc please don’t let us discourage you. 
Don't want to own AMC, just want a 1/10th of their appreciation from a legit stock.

Will the new head hancho have the authority to authorize a split?  Us loyal holders should be rewarded like the Apple and TTD guys were.

Does anyone know why I now own 7 shares of Asia Broadband Contra values at $0 to go along with my 300 shares of Asia Broadband?

If trch continues to fall is it a buy? Meta is trading around 13 dollars right now and I know they are going to to be listed as trch and trade at their price to start, but it feels like they are going up
Meta sure seems like an interesting company. I'll most likely hold it for a bit to see how the market reacts. We find out the dividend tomorrow, yes?

Meta sure seems like an interesting company. I'll most likely hold it for a bit to see how the market reacts. We find out the dividend tomorrow, yes?
I believe so. I only held like 50 shares that I got under 5.00. I hope I am wrong and you get a 5 dollar plus dividend. 

I also read that the shorts have until the merger is complete to cover. Which is anytime from tomorrow until the 30th. So a squeeze could be coming. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't want to own AMC, just want a 1/10th of their appreciation from a legit stock.

Will the new head hancho have the authority to authorize a split?  Us loyal holders should be rewarded like the Apple and TTD guys were.
I don’t know. It is frustrating. Sucks to see some movement on it just for it to kick back 2% today but I’m not day trading like you. 

From Yahoo about hgen. Appears it joins the Russell tomorrow, either before or after hours, so there may be some pickup in volume:

”Watching to see if the volume goes up tomorrow. According to a Reuters article "RPT-Investors brace for annual Russell index rebalancing with pandemic imprint" we may see a big jump in volume tomorrow due to HGEN being added to the Russell index. First paragraph says: "Market participants are girding for probably the biggest trading event of the year next Friday, as FTSE Russell stages the final reconstitution of its indexes, and trillions of dollars in investments could be influenced by the event that will reflect a wild trading year marked by the pandemic and the “meme” stock craze." Time will tell.“

BassNBrew said:
I thought most here were under the opinion it was a stone cold lock for $4000 by the end of the year?  Of course AMC and GME will have doubled by then  :clyde:
I think it will be $4000 by the end of the year but I don't plan on selling it for decades so I'm not going to sweat the moves along the way.

I day trade like mad but AMZN is in my boring boomer long term account and I'm not touching it.  If someone were to trade it though $3500 seems like one heck of a strong resistance point.  As some guy on twitter once said, "sell into key levels, you can always buy it back if it breaks through".

Capella said:
From Yahoo about hgen. Appears it joins the Russell tomorrow, either before or after hours, so there may be some pickup in volume:

”Watching to see if the volume goes up tomorrow. According to a Reuters article "RPT-Investors brace for annual Russell index rebalancing with pandemic imprint" we may see a big jump in volume tomorrow due to HGEN being added to the Russell index. First paragraph says: "Market participants are girding for probably the biggest trading event of the year next Friday, as FTSE Russell stages the final reconstitution of its indexes, and trillions of dollars in investments could be influenced by the event that will reflect a wild trading year marked by the pandemic and the “meme” stock craze." Time will tell.“
This didn't work out so well on Tesla when it joined the S&P.  Hopefully this is a different story.

Capella said:
I don’t know. It is frustrating. Sucks to see some movement on it just for it to kick back 2% today but I’m not day trading like you. 
I'm not really day trading like many in here.  I want to buy Amazon when I see it as a value and sell it when i see it becoming overvalued.  Unfortunately I'm very bad at that with Amazon.  I'm just frustrated it's sat it the undervalued trough for so long.

I'm not really day trading like many in here.  I want to buy Amazon when I see it as a value and sell it when i see it becoming overvalued.  Unfortunately I'm very bad at that with Amazon.  I'm just frustrated it's sat it the undervalued trough for so long.
I had my entire nut in AMAZN awhile back because its such a no brainer.  I gave up awhile ago. It was just so frustrating.  I felt like (and did) leave so much on the table.

But I was certain, that the day I sold they would split. 

I'm sure it will pay off for the longtimers 📦  <AMZN package for luck

Capella said:

Have been thinking about adding HGEN, maybe, it's time to do so. 

Capella said:

Picked up some HGEN a few days ago because of this thread.  Good news.  But I think it happens slowly but not sure.

I think it will be $4000 by the end of the year but I don't plan on selling it for decades so I'm not going to sweat the moves along the way.

I day trade like mad but AMZN is in my boring boomer long term account and I'm not touching it.  If someone were to trade it though $3500 seems like one heck of a strong resistance point.  As some guy on twitter once said, "sell into key levels, you can always buy it back if it breaks through".
I'm long AMZN with 10 shares but have also begun day trading it as well. The genesis of the trade was from Options Action on CNBC last week where they made a compelling case that it is due to break out of the sideways movement it's been stuck in for a while now. They pegged $4300 as possible end-of-year level and they also suggested an exotic options trade to capitalize on what could be a decent upside move in the next few months. I've modified their trade to make it more day-trader friendly and, frankly, riskier.

My AMZN trade begins with the purchase of an out-of-the-money call which represents that I am bullish in the short term. I chose the strike price of $3650 for August 20 to tail the CNBC guys and also because I was comfortable with the cost. On 6/21, AMZN was trading around $3450 and that call cost me $82, which is the top-end of what I wanted to put at risk. The thing with AMZN calls is that they are super expensive because the stock price is so high, so this adds to the risk--it is impossible to scale down any lower than one contract. But the high cost of options contracts can be used to your advantage when you're the seller. That's phase two.

I bought the call with the intention of selling another call at a higher strike price against it. Usually, you do this at the same time as the first call and what you've bought is a "call spread". But I wanted to squeeze as much juice out of that sold call as I could, so I planned to wait for a nice up day. Sell the call when the share price hits $3500 and you get better premium out of it. Truth be told, I got lucky with a nice bounce on the very next day. It allowed me to sell the $4000 strike August call for $26. If the trade ended there, I would still be in a bullish stance, holding a 3650/4000 call spread with potential gross of $35000, all for an investment of $5600 (paid $82, recouped $26).

Ordinarily, one cannot sell an AMZN call unless it is covered but who owns 100 shares of AMZN to do that? The purchase of the lower strike call counts as a proxy for those 100 shares which enables the sale of the higher-strike call. But wait there is more, and this is where the added risk factor / day trading comes in. AMZN got hammered today on word of pressure from the Teamsters to unionize, so I bought back the $4000 call for $17. Now I'm back to a heartily bullish position (holding one $3650 August call with no upside impediment) but my cost basis bounced back up from $56 to $73. That's less than the original $82, though, since I "made" $900 on the sale and repurchase of the $4000 strike call.

You know where this is going. I am hoping for more seesaw action in AMZN, obviously with an upswing being desired. On another pop up to the $3500 range, I can resell (and maybe later rebuy) another August call. The way AMZN moves, one could make almost $1000 on daily swings, all the while being tethered to the bullish $3650 call that anchors these trades. Worst case scenario is that the price stagnates for two months and I eat the premium of the call (currently at $7300). Best case, I rinse/wash/repeat a few times, net a few thousand on trading "covered" calls, and ideally the share price is well north of $3650 come August, potentially hitting for $35000 if the share price is at or above $4000.

Again, a highly volatile day trade of AMZN and you must be willing to lose the entire premium to enter into this cycle, but weighing the probabilities and the potential payoffs make these trades that I am comfortable with. GLTA.

See where you and I differ is I don’t think Amazon is overvalued until it starts with a 5. So I definitely don’t know how you handle that. 

I'm long AMZN with 10 shares but have also begun day trading it as well. The genesis of the trade was from Options Action on CNBC last week where they made a compelling case that it is due to break out of the sideways movement it's been stuck in for a while now. They pegged $4300 as possible end-of-year level and they also suggested an exotic options trade to capitalize on what could be a decent upside move in the next few months. I've modified their trade to make it more day-trader friendly and, frankly, riskier.

My AMZN trade begins with the purchase of an out-of-the-money call which represents that I am bullish in the short term. I chose the strike price of $3650 for August 20 to tail the CNBC guys and also because I was comfortable with the cost. On 6/21, AMZN was trading around $3450 and that call cost me $82, which is the top-end of what I wanted to put at risk. The thing with AMZN calls is that they are super expensive because the stock price is so high, so this adds to the risk--it is impossible to scale down any lower than one contract. But the high cost of options contracts can be used to your advantage when you're the seller. That's phase two.

I bought the call with the intention of selling another call at a higher strike price against it. Usually, you do this at the same time as the first call and what you've bought is a "call spread". But I wanted to squeeze as much juice out of that sold call as I could, so I planned to wait for a nice up day. Sell the call when the share price hits $3500 and you get better premium out of it. Truth be told, I got lucky with a nice bounce on the very next day. It allowed me to sell the $4000 strike August call for $26. If the trade ended there, I would still be in a bullish stance, holding a 3650/4000 call spread with potential gross of $35000, all for an investment of $5600 (paid $82, recouped $26).

Ordinarily, one cannot sell an AMZN call unless it is covered but who owns 100 shares of AMZN to do that? The purchase of the lower strike call counts as a proxy for those 100 shares which enables the sale of the higher-strike call. But wait there is more, and this is where the added risk factor / day trading comes in. AMZN got hammered today on word of pressure from the Teamsters to unionize, so I bought back the $4000 call for $17. Now I'm back to a heartily bullish position (holding one $3650 August call with no upside impediment) but my cost basis bounced back up from $56 to $73. That's less than the original $82, though, since I "made" $900 on the sale and repurchase of the $4000 strike call.

You know where this is going. I am hoping for more seesaw action in AMZN, obviously with an upswing being desired. On another pop up to the $3500 range, I can resell (and maybe later rebuy) another August call. The way AMZN moves, one could make almost $1000 on daily swings, all the while being tethered to the bullish $3650 call that anchors these trades. Worst case scenario is that the price stagnates for two months and I eat the premium of the call (currently at $7300). Best case, I rinse/wash/repeat a few times, net a few thousand on trading "covered" calls, and ideally the share price is well north of $3650 come August, potentially hitting for $35000 if the share price is at or above $4000.

Again, a highly volatile day trade of AMZN and you must be willing to lose the entire premium to enter into this cycle, but weighing the probabilities and the potential payoffs make these trades that I am comfortable with. GLTA.
:wub:

I keep churning the ZIM puts, which is both much less profitable and much less risky.

ZIM July $40 Puts for $2.40. If it wants to just keep ping-ponging between $40 and $46ish, I can live with that. I still think the $50s are inevitable.
Closed today for $.80. Could have gotten it lower. If it doesn't come back tomorrow, I'm not sure I get the chance on the $40s again. Which is fine. I own the commons and freerolling 40% of my original July $40 Calls. 

• Love
Reactions: KGB
This didn't work out so well on Tesla when it joined the S&P.  Hopefully this is a different story.
Maybe I'm remembering wrong but didn't TSLA run from like $500 to $880 when it joined the S&P?

If I recall it went from $615 to $695 in literally the last 1 minute of trading on the day it joined the S&P.  A lot of people speculating that one of the big brokers (top rumor was Vanguard) didn't get enough ahead of time to cover all their clients so they had to put in some massive $30 million buy order at the closing bell way above the current asking price to make sure they got filled.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/tesla-stock-rallies-to-record-ahead-of-inclusion-in-s-p-500-11608327352?mod=article_inline

See where you and I differ is I don’t think Amazon is overvalued until it starts with a 5. So I definitely don’t know how you handle that. 
I thought it was over valued last August/September at $3450.  Since then earnings beats have been 67%, 95%, and 66%.  Give them half credit for that and you still should be looking at $4500 now.

So my HSA is through HealthEquity like many, I assume. I had it in a halfway decent mutual fund but I prefer individual stocks when it’s an option. Looked into it and found I can open an HSA at Fidelity and just transfer the bulk of the cash over to the Fidelity account and trade away. I’ll still have work deposit HSA funds into HE but I’ll do this transfer every so often now.

It’s a bit of a process to do it smoothly and takes a couple weeks (ish) but I’m pretty happy to have this option.

Maybe I'm remembering wrong but didn't TSLA run from like $500 to $880 when it joined the S&P?

If I recall it went from $615 to $695 in literally the last 1 minute of trading on the day it joined the S&P.  A lot of people speculating that one of the big brokers (top rumor was Vanguard) didn't get enough ahead of time to cover all their clients so they had to put in some massive $30 million buy order at the closing bell way above the current asking price to make sure they got filled.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/tesla-stock-rallies-to-record-ahead-of-inclusion-in-s-p-500-11608327352?mod=article_inline
I bought at open that day at $670 and DCA'd down thru the day.  It was down with minutes left in the day.  I pushed the sell button with 30 seconds left when it was showing $650s and got $676 and it closed at $695.  

TSLA ran on the rumor back in September and then never fell when it was originally included as expected.

There was a case much stronger than the GME squeeze that TSLA was going to explode that day.  Was kind of meh.

I bought at open that day at $670 and DCA'd down thru the day.  It was down with minutes left in the day.  I pushed the sell button with 30 seconds left when it was showing $650s and got $676 and it closed at $695.  

TSLA ran on the rumor back in September and then never fell when it was originally included as expected.

There was a case much stronger than the GME squeeze that TSLA was going to explode that day.  Was kind of meh.
To be fair it finished the day up 6% which is a pretty large move for a 3/4 trillion dollar company.

So my HSA is through HealthEquity like many, I assume. I had it in a halfway decent mutual fund but I prefer individual stocks when it’s an option. Looked into it and found I can open an HSA at Fidelity and just transfer the bulk of the cash over to the Fidelity account and trade away. I’ll still have work deposit HSA funds into HE but I’ll do this transfer every so often now.

It’s a bit of a process to do it smoothly and takes a couple weeks (ish) but I’m pretty happy to have this option.
Thanks for posting this.  I have mine through HealthEquity as well and am going to do this.  YOLO my retirement health funds into meme stonks?  Yes please.

• Laughing
Thanks for posting this.  I have mine through HealthEquity as well and am going to do this.  YOLO my retirement health funds into meme stonks?  Yes please.
Wait until I come back here after it’s totally done if you’re serious. The funds have left HE but haven’t arrived in Fidelity yet. They’re doing it by check if you can ####### imagine that. I want to confirm I’ll truly have the options everyone said I would but everything has gone right so far.

I’m not sure I’ll be YOLO’ing but I have a couple decades so I’d rather buy some decent growth than the slow crawl of funds. I’m obviously stupidly confident in my abilities.

To be fair it finished the day up 6% which is a pretty large move for a 3/4 trillion dollar company.
But you likely couldn't get that price.  It opened at $669.  I pushed the sell button with seconds left below that price and got $676.        It closed at $695 but open the next trading day at $666 and closed at $649.  Maybe the big boys were swapping shares at a 5% gain, but us minnows were getting less.

I thought so too, but it was also a MEMEish stock 

Any Draftkings longs in here?

Im at 500 shares @ $56.52 so down almost 10%.

Not to be a pusher and not that fbg could effect a huge stock like DKNG, but with gambling opening, I kinda see this as a good bet.

Thinking of doubling down

Not to be a pusher and not that fbg could effect a huge stock like DKNG, but with gambling opening, I kinda see this as a good bet.

I feel good about my 300 shares at $53

• Thanks
I thought it was over valued last August/September at $3450.  Since then earnings beats have been 67%, 95%, and 66%.  Give them half credit for that and you still should be looking at $4500 now.
So we agree it’s significantly undervalued. 

I'm in for the long haul.  I didn't buy most of my shares at the most opportune time either so down a little but not bad, not too concerned.

I'm up on what I'm down on Draftkings on PDYPY (Fanduel, Betfair, Pokerstars) though.

Feel like both will ultimately emerge but wanted to hedge a little

So we agree it’s significantly undervalued. 
Yup.  Based on performance and discounted past valuations I would think it's worth $4200 to $4300.  After todays melt down and blow up of everything else I'm just under a 25% allocation.  Plan is to sell off and be at a 10% allocation at $4200.  Of course if SE, FLGT, and the rest of my tech keep rolling I might get to that 10% if Amazon stays planted between $3300 and $3500.

Users who are viewing this thread