What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Stock Thread (15 Viewers)

I'm in for the long haul.  I didn't buy most of my shares at the most opportune time either so down a little but not bad, not too concerned.

I'm up on what I'm down on Draftkings on PDYPY (Fanduel, Betfair, Pokerstars) though.

Feel like both will ultimately emerge but wanted to hedge a little
You could also invest in BETZ (another great FBG recommendation) to get a broad piece of this.  I'm up 94% on this in one year.    That's waxed the pants off of DKNG in that timeframe.  That said, DKNG is much more volatile and a much better trading investment.

I'm long AMZN with 10 shares but have also begun day trading it as well. The genesis of the trade was from Options Action on CNBC last week where they made a compelling case that it is due to break out of the sideways movement it's been stuck in for a while now. They pegged $4300 as possible end-of-year level and they also suggested an exotic options trade to capitalize on what could be a decent upside move in the next few months. I've modified their trade to make it more day-trader friendly and, frankly, riskier.

My AMZN trade begins with the purchase of an out-of-the-money call which represents that I am bullish in the short term. I chose the strike price of $3650 for August 20 to tail the CNBC guys and also because I was comfortable with the cost. On 6/21, AMZN was trading around $3450 and that call cost me $82, which is the top-end of what I wanted to put at risk. The thing with AMZN calls is that they are super expensive because the stock price is so high, so this adds to the risk--it is impossible to scale down any lower than one contract. But the high cost of options contracts can be used to your advantage when you're the seller. That's phase two.

I bought the call with the intention of selling another call at a higher strike price against it. Usually, you do this at the same time as the first call and what you've bought is a "call spread". But I wanted to squeeze as much juice out of that sold call as I could, so I planned to wait for a nice up day. Sell the call when the share price hits $3500 and you get better premium out of it. Truth be told, I got lucky with a nice bounce on the very next day. It allowed me to sell the $4000 strike August call for $26. If the trade ended there, I would still be in a bullish stance, holding a 3650/4000 call spread with potential gross of $35000, all for an investment of $5600 (paid $82, recouped $26).

Ordinarily, one cannot sell an AMZN call unless it is covered but who owns 100 shares of AMZN to do that? The purchase of the lower strike call counts as a proxy for those 100 shares which enables the sale of the higher-strike call. But wait there is more, and this is where the added risk factor / day trading comes in. AMZN got hammered today on word of pressure from the Teamsters to unionize, so I bought back the $4000 call for $17. Now I'm back to a heartily bullish position (holding one $3650 August call with no upside impediment) but my cost basis bounced back up from $56 to $73. That's less than the original $82, though, since I "made" $900 on the sale and repurchase of the $4000 strike call.

You know where this is going. I am hoping for more seesaw action in AMZN, obviously with an upswing being desired. On another pop up to the $3500 range, I can resell (and maybe later rebuy) another August call. The way AMZN moves, one could make almost $1000 on daily swings, all the while being tethered to the bullish $3650 call that anchors these trades. Worst case scenario is that the price stagnates for two months and I eat the premium of the call (currently at $7300). Best case, I rinse/wash/repeat a few times, net a few thousand on trading "covered" calls, and ideally the share price is well north of $3650 come August, potentially hitting for $35000 if the share price is at or above $4000.

Again, a highly volatile day trade of AMZN and you must be willing to lose the entire premium to enter into this cycle, but weighing the probabilities and the potential payoffs make these trades that I am comfortable with. GLTA.
Great stuff. Thanks for posting. You also hurt my brain. 

Any Draftkings longs in here?

Im at 500 shares @ $56.52 so down almost 10%.

Not to be a pusher and not that fbg could effect a huge stock like DKNG, but with gambling opening, I kinda see this as a good bet.

Thinking of doubling down
Long here for a much smaller investment.  I don't mess with my retirement account. That's what I pay my advisor for and he has done a great job.  So everything here I buy is with cash which post pandemic isn't where I would like it to be. 

Long here for a much smaller investment.  I don't mess with my retirement account. That's what I pay my advisor for and he has done a great job.  So everything here I buy is with cash which post pandemic isn't where I would like it to be. 
Depending on timing.  I may move so e riot into DKNG.

Well see on timing though ...

I like the stock. I don't understand the wild price action, but I guess it is early in its life cycle as a public company. 
I like the company but I’m unsure of the stock, only because there’s suddenly a billion fintech-ish plays out there. Same with $PSFE. I think these are better than most but I’m willing to just stay in $SQ (and $PYPL but I’m not in there) until they prove themselves to be superior for a few quarters and the market takes notice. I might miss a run but that’s me. Watchlist stocks for now.

BLDP

Feb-March was a steep daily down trend. From March until now has been in a gradual down trend. I'm still learning to look at the technical chart patterns but it may have confirmation of breaking out of the gradual daily down trend this week. A decent green day would help with confirmation but there is potential to gap up at some point to 22-23.

I know todem has like this stock for a while.

BLDP

Feb-March was a steep daily down trend. From March until now has been in a gradual down trend. I'm still learning to look at the technical chart patterns but it may have confirmation of breaking out of the gradual daily down trend this week. A decent green day would help with confirmation but there is potential to gap up at some point to 22-23.

I know todem has like this stock for a while.
I'm old enough to remember when it hit 40.

:coffee:

I like the company but I’m unsure of the stock, only because there’s suddenly a billion fintech-ish plays out there. Same with $PSFE. I think these are better than most but I’m willing to just stay in $SQ (and $PYPL but I’m not in there) until they prove themselves to be superior for a few quarters and the market takes notice. I might miss a run but that’s me. Watchlist stocks for now.
All this said, $SOFI appears to be going down for dumb reasons so I just bought some August $22.50 calls in my gambling account.

Thanks for posting this.  I have mine through HealthEquity as well and am going to do this.  YOLO my retirement health funds into meme stonks?  Yes please.
Wait until I come back here after it’s totally done if you’re serious. The funds have left HE but haven’t arrived in Fidelity yet. They’re doing it by check if you can ####### imagine that. I want to confirm I’ll truly have the options everyone said I would but everything has gone right so far.

I’m not sure I’ll be YOLO’ing but I have a couple decades so I’d rather buy some decent growth than the slow crawl of funds. I’m obviously stupidly confident in my abilities.
Following.  I have an HSA from a former employer at Fidelity, and you can in fact trade individual stocks there.  I didn't know you could transfer from HealthEquity to another HSA provider while still employed, that would be nice to give myself more options.

Following.  I have an HSA from a former employer at Fidelity, and you can in fact trade individual stocks there.  I didn't know you could transfer from HealthEquity to another HSA provider while still employed, that would be nice to give myself more options.
I'll tag you as soon as it arrives and outline the steps. Yeah, even for those who don't want to risk it with individual stocks, you might be able to at least get more mutual fund options or even ETF's.

I'll tag you as soon as it arrives and outline the steps. Yeah, even for those who don't want to risk it with individual stocks, you might be able to at least get more mutual fund options or even ETF's.
Sorry Doc, I can't pay that surgery bill, I went all in on CYDY and Cobalt Blockchain.

following these Russell Index reindexing news today. $DM going into Russell 2000, down 3.2% so far today if anyone is still holding. "stuck" might be a better word than "hodling" at this point. is that what you call long term hold? the concept is foreign to me.

following these Russell Index reindexing news today. $DM going into Russell 2000, down 3.2% so far today if anyone is still holding. "stuck" might be a better word than "hodling" at this point. is that what you call long term hold? the concept is foreign to me.
I'm stuck with this one...but am holding for long term.

For rebalancing, don't they sell off stocks in indexes they will be leaving during the day and add to the new indexes in the aftermarket and Monday (and possibly the last hour of today)?

For rebalancing, don't they sell off stocks in indexes they will be leaving during the day and add to the new indexes in the aftermarket and Monday (and possibly the last hour of today)?
all the talk about volume today I thought both selldown and buys happen today. but reading into it more i think the lockdown date today is just about what stocks will be exiting and what will be incoming. so maybe more activities on this Monday. so yea, i think you're right.

I'm long AMZN with 10 shares but have also begun day trading it as well. The genesis of the trade was from Options Action on CNBC last week where they made a compelling case that it is due to break out of the sideways movement it's been stuck in for a while now. They pegged $4300 as possible end-of-year level and they also suggested an exotic options trade to capitalize on what could be a decent upside move in the next few months. I've modified their trade to make it more day-trader friendly and, frankly, riskier.

My AMZN trade begins with the purchase of an out-of-the-money call which represents that I am bullish in the short term. I chose the strike price of $3650 for August 20 to tail the CNBC guys and also because I was comfortable with the cost. On 6/21, AMZN was trading around $3450 and that call cost me $82, which is the top-end of what I wanted to put at risk. The thing with AMZN calls is that they are super expensive because the stock price is so high, so this adds to the risk--it is impossible to scale down any lower than one contract. But the high cost of options contracts can be used to your advantage when you're the seller. That's phase two.

I bought the call with the intention of selling another call at a higher strike price against it. Usually, you do this at the same time as the first call and what you've bought is a "call spread". But I wanted to squeeze as much juice out of that sold call as I could, so I planned to wait for a nice up day. Sell the call when the share price hits $3500 and you get better premium out of it. Truth be told, I got lucky with a nice bounce on the very next day. It allowed me to sell the $4000 strike August call for $26. If the trade ended there, I would still be in a bullish stance, holding a 3650/4000 call spread with potential gross of $35000, all for an investment of $5600 (paid $82, recouped $26).

Ordinarily, one cannot sell an AMZN call unless it is covered but who owns 100 shares of AMZN to do that? The purchase of the lower strike call counts as a proxy for those 100 shares which enables the sale of the higher-strike call. But wait there is more, and this is where the added risk factor / day trading comes in. AMZN got hammered today on word of pressure from the Teamsters to unionize, so I bought back the $4000 call for $17. Now I'm back to a heartily bullish position (holding one $3650 August call with no upside impediment) but my cost basis bounced back up from $56 to $73. That's less than the original $82, though, since I "made" $900 on the sale and repurchase of the $4000 strike call.

You know where this is going. I am hoping for more seesaw action in AMZN, obviously with an upswing being desired. On another pop up to the $3500 range, I can resell (and maybe later rebuy) another August call. The way AMZN moves, one could make almost $1000 on daily swings, all the while being tethered to the bullish $3650 call that anchors these trades. Worst case scenario is that the price stagnates for two months and I eat the premium of the call (currently at $7300). Best case, I rinse/wash/repeat a few times, net a few thousand on trading "covered" calls, and ideally the share price is well north of $3650 come August, potentially hitting for $35000 if the share price is at or above $4000.

Again, a highly volatile day trade of AMZN and you must be willing to lose the entire premium to enter into this cycle, but weighing the probabilities and the potential payoffs make these trades that I am comfortable with. GLTA.
What are the scenarios for you here?

Doesn't hit $3650 strike... $?

Hits $3650 strike but not $4000 strike... $?

Hits $4000 strike... $?

What are the scenarios for you here?

Doesn't hit $3650 strike... $?

Hits $3650 strike but not $4000 strike... $?

Hits $4000 strike... $?
... also, is there a scenario where you would need to purchase these 100 shares of AMZN?

Price hits $3700 at strike date, you need to exercise, no? That's a lot of clams.

Last edited by a moderator:
Finally started a position in $SIVB recently. It doesn't pull back often but I finally caught it when it did. It's the only bank I own now - 20X earnings but also growthy. This is the bank I want in my portfolio as tech becomes more and more a fact of life - they are the bank to VC's/startups. Market cap of $30 billion or so - plenty of room to run here. 

ETA: this isn't a trade - if you want 50% in a month you're not getting that here, but I think it'll give you more capital appreciation than the other larger banks.

Finally started a position in $SIVB recently. It doesn't pull back often but I finally caught it when it did. It's the only bank I own now - 20X earnings but also growthy. This is the bank I want in my portfolio as tech becomes more and more a fact of life - they are the bank to VC's/startups. Market cap of $30 billion or so - plenty of room to run here. 

ETA: this isn't a trade - if you want 50% in a month you're not getting that here, but I think it'll give you more capital appreciation than the other larger banks.
Unfortunately, this one I missed as well back last March. Falls under the I wish I had more money back then to buy it all. I think it hit $130 or $140 in March and maybe I looked at it in April. I definitely didn’t see the rally this year coming that strong. Keeping my eye on it but it’s so hard jumping in after it’s up 300%.

I know, I know, starter positions but damn I’ve got too many stocks already. 

Unfortunately, this one I missed as well back last March. Falls under the I wish I had more money back then to buy it all. I think it hit $130 or $140 in March and maybe I looked at it in April. I definitely didn’t see the rally this year coming that strong. Keeping my eye on it but it’s so hard jumping in after it’s up 300%.

I know, I know, starter positions but damn I’ve got too many stocks already. 
Yes, starter positions. They work! And they help with anchor bias, which you have REAL bad.

Same with DM right at the bell.
I added more at 17.38. I am going extreme Yolo here and it scares me a little lol 

either I’m gonna be right and head out to my yacht or I’ll be wrong and uhhhhhh…still doing the same thing the next day I guess. 

... also, is there a scenario where you would need to purchase these 100 shares of AMZN?

Price hits $3700 at strike date, you need to exercise, no? That's a lot of clams.
If you buy a call, you’re never forced to purchase the shares. If AMZN trades at $3700 on the day of expiration, I’d sell the call for roughly $50. As for other scenarios, it really depends if I sell more calls against my $3650 call which would lower my cost basis. But let’s assume that doesn’t happen. My cost basis right now is $73. If AMZN share price is under $3650, I’d lose almost all of that premium ($7300.) The break even share price is $3723. For every dollar above that price, I make $100 so profit would be $27700 if the share price is $4000 at expiration. Since I haven’t sold another call way out of the money, my profit is not currently capped. But I do plan to sell another $4000 call in the future to lower my cost basis. 

Yes, starter positions. They work! And they help with anchor bias, which you have REAL bad.
Hah! Actually, I’m good. You could throw a dart blindfolded and find a multi-bagger back then. I picked the stocks I liked more, bought them and walked away happy. I even did starter positions in Etsy, Shopify and others. Still have those 6 SHOP shares! I just add to the discussions about stocks I own, bought or looked at just so people have another data point. Just trying to help!

I added more at 17.38. I am going extreme Yolo here and it scares me a little lol 

either I’m gonna be right and head out to my yacht or I’ll be wrong and uhhhhhh…still doing the same thing the next day I guess. 
I know you are really just looking for the pop but it seems like every day it doesn’t happen, especially now with a new vaccine from Novavax in play around the world, the share price will leak down. I do remember that the analyst who recently put a $34 price on it was the one who put a $25 target on it back before the vaccines really rolled out/were announced as so effective. I’ve got no dog in the fight other than I hope it saves lives if approved, but it seems like the addressable market keeps shrinking every day and god forbid Trump tells his supporters to get the vaccine. The news that hospitalizations are virtually all unvaccinated hopefully wakes people up.

I know you are really just looking for the pop but it seems like every day it doesn’t happen, especially now with a new vaccine from Novavax in play around the world, the share price will leak down. I do remember that the analyst who recently put a $34 price on it was the one who put a $25 target on it back before the vaccines really rolled out/were announced as so effective. I’ve got no dog in the fight other than I hope it saves lives if approved, but it seems like the addressable market keeps shrinking every day and god forbid Trump tells his supporters to get the vaccine. The news that hospitalizations are virtually all unvaccinated hopefully wakes people up.
People who want the vaccine largely have it now. And the US isn’t the only place it will be sold. Also it’s not one analyst - I believe it’s 8 total with a target on it around $35. 

I wish everybody in the country would go get the vax but what is going to cause these idiots who wouldn’t do it yesterday to go do it tomorrow?

People who want the vaccine largely have it now. And the US isn’t the only place it will be sold. Also it’s not one analyst - I believe it’s 8 total with a target on it around $35. 

I wish everybody in the country would go get the vax but what is going to cause these idiots who wouldn’t do it yesterday to go do it tomorrow?
Having to go to work or not being able to do something that others can do freely. Also, anecdotal evidence of people we know that haven’t done the vaccine and it’s more because of Biden vs Trump than religious and crackpot beliefs. Those folks who can’t attend things freely could easily decide to just do it. We both hope they do.

I mentioned Novavax because they’ve mentioned that more than likely almost all of what they manufacture will be outside of the US because Pfizer/Moderna beat them.

Anyway, no dog in the fight but I can understand the slow downward pressure right now. There was an assumption of approval and maybe still is but the success stories of the vaccine (hospitalization’s being unvaccinated and even that Mass. study that had 0.1% positive but all asymptomatic) wear down the price.

Users who are viewing this thread