What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Stock Thread (16 Viewers)

It is an odd mix because wouldn’t you think Amazon would do wonders if Delta caused lockdowns?
Most of my red has reversed to green now so I'm actually having a very strong day now. But yeah, usually I have the same stuff more or less moving in unison - different degrees but same general direction. It wasn't quite like that when I posted that.

Also, FLGT is exploding. I'm reminded that besides the fact they have a Scrooge McDuck money vault they can swim in, their short interest is also around 30%. 

I wasn't sure.  Yes, I'm up bigly this year. This is a tiny blip.
Yep

The logical, rational OZ tells the greedy oz that the market could be totally flat or even negative the rest of the year and it's still been a very nice year. 

At least the logical OZ sold off some VTI last week to cover the oldest son's tuition for the year. 

The not so logical OZ decided to borrow $10k on margin today to buy. 

I'm down about half of the S&P today. Given the multiple risky propositions in my portfolio, that's about the best I could hope for on a day like this.

Still can't shake the notion that I'm the trigger. Got down to 20% cash on Friday, I was just asking for it. My bad, everybody.

I'm down about half of the S&P today. Given the multiple risky propositions in my portfolio, that's about the best I could hope for on a day like this.

Still can't shake the notion that I'm the trigger. Got down to 20% cash on Friday, I was just asking for it. My bad, everybody.
Nah. Last time I got close to a $ goal, last August, we had a sell off. Now I'm close to another and here we go. 🤷‍♂️ 

It comes back. 

Question for todem, or any of the other pros out there. Or for any of you amateurs (like me) who know anything about Convertible Bond ETFs: I've been reading up on Convertibles and think it might be a good option for my retired mom (and maybe a fraction in my own portfolio). As a small potatoes guy, I cannot buy convertibles in any one name that I might like (LUV, AVGO and SQ come to mind) so instead I'm looking at ETFs that hold them. There don't seem to be too many. On the lower end of the expense ratio is CWB and ICVT. For both of these, I like their holdings and I also think convertibles will stand up to inflation better than traditional bonds. Wondering if you agree on that point, and also if anyone has recommendations for one of these ETFs or another. Was also looking at a Calamos High Yield fund (CHY) but the expense ratio is 1.24% which seems high. The dividends are fat, though.

Finally and more generally, I'm reckoning these convertible bonds as a hybrid product which contains the bond piece (paying out some income in the form of dividends) and also a call-option piece. With the rich premiums in the options market, I'm wondering if I should just buy into an ETF bond fund and leave the convertible part out of the picture. I like the upside potential and want to capture that, but if I'm essentially giving up a fraction of the fixed income to buy calls, then it may not be a good investment now, given the elevated costs of those options.

Thanks to any and all who can provide info or advice on this topic.

I just logged into my Fidelity account and NVDA is 25% of my account.  I'm looking crazy, forgot about the split. My account is showing the 4/1 split at a stock price of 751.19. I'm rich!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Any bad news regarding SI? Bought some at $125 on the first dip hoping itb would bounce back to $150s but it has stayed at $90-100$. $86 is a tempting spot to DCA.

Seems like they just trade in the same general direction as bitcoin.
Most of the time, yes.  Usually less volatile than crypto.

Today is an anomaly as SI  is up 6% + while crypto in general is down 4% ish.

A good (?) earnings report is all I can see as the possible difference today.

Most of the time, yes.  Usually less volatile than crypto.

Today is an anomaly as SI  is up 6% + while crypto in general is down 4% ish.

A good (?) earnings report is all I can see as the possible difference today.
It’s definitely the earnings report buoying them today.

tonydead said:
This.

Is this the Delta Variant correction of the summer?

I'll be pissed if the dow jumps up 600 points tomorrow, but, I'm sitting pat for a few days - weeks to see if we get into true correction territory.  It was almost exactly a month last time before the bounce.

[long money trying to time the bottom when to push in the chips]
:lmao:   One day Delta fire sale makes zero sense.  

:kicksrock:

I don't think I will.

Track relentlessly? Yes

Bemoan? Maybe

Obsess? Likely

Regret? Almost certainly

Feel better seems like it'll be pretty far down the list.

Still...
If you didn't have any, would you start a position today? Or do you see better opportunity elsewhere?

Or you could trim and put the trimmed amount in whatever new hot little stock you have your eye on. I've been slowly scaling out of MSFT and have used those funds for GLBE and SIVB, which is great, but my MSFT position still exists and has done well, too, in the meantime.

Last edited by a moderator:
Trim some and join INMD with me. I started Friday. I'm only at about 20% of a position. DOCU will still be there when you get home but you can get some strange on the side, too.
Why didn't this thing get crushed yesterday? If Delta is that bad, you'd think those benefitting from elective surgeries would be on a short leash.

Why didn't this thing get crushed yesterday? If Delta is that bad, you'd think those benefitting from elective surgeries would be on a short leash.

McBokonon said:
That’s what the talking heads are attributing it to. I’m overall up on the day but the mix is weird. 
:shrug:  

They just reported recently and it was strong, followed by analyst upgrades, etc. Growing fast but not insanely expensive yet. 

Recurring revenue, expanding into other fields (including some that could be covered by insurance), founder-led. Israeli company which for some reason I keep finding and buying. It's not intentional but so far, so good.

If you didn't have any, would you start a position today? Or do you see better opportunity elsewhere?

Or you could trim and put the trimmed amount in whatever new hot little stock you have your eye on. I've been slowly scaling out of MSFT and have used those funds for GLBE and SIVB, which is great, but my MSFT position still exists and has done well, too, in the meantime.
I :wub: SIVB, BTW. Used to be a shareholder and basically stalked their HR dept. for a while 

That’s not even funny to mention to a newbie. They might look at the last two days and get sucked into that vortex.
I'm not a newbie to the market. Really not even to the thread, but been a while since I popped in here. Good to know the internet thugs are in here too, though. (Not referring to you). I appreciate you posting

Been watching this one for the last week or so and I agree it's nearly at a point where I'm going to add more. They pay their dividend on 7/6 and the RSI* is at ~35 right now... I'm wait until next week to see how things look at that time.

*I don't know anything about technical analysis, but I'm looking at RSI to see it can be used to pick entry points on stocks I want to own anyway.

UWMC getting back down to a possibly nice price to add more.
Yesterday morning the RSI dipped below 30 but I wasn't in front of my computer :hot:  

So I ended up buying at 7.50 (would have probably purchased at 7.38 before yesterdays low (7.21) if I was actually watching yesterday morning so I figured that was close enough.

I reiterate, I know nothing about technical analysis :)  

Users who are viewing this thread