What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Stock Thread (3 Viewers)

My goals are to grow my money. I am a rookie investor who does not have the ability or knowledge to day trade and so I'm looking for long term plays that I can invest in and watch it grow be it both good stocks and our stocks that pay nice dividends. 
List the stocks you bought on my master list. Nothing has changed to be frank. All of them are long term. Until I see a reason to sell due to change in business, competition, no growth, unreliable dividends etc. We buy and hold. Typically we do shave a little to make sure we are not over exposed. But that is a whole other discussion. When we hit price targets, we re-evaluate and see if it is time to exit.

A perfect example was PPL. Loved it. However I know that dividend is most likely getting cut due to the divesture of their UK business. The price was not nearly as attractive anymore and we made some 30% upside on a utility. I sold and shifted to EXC. So there are many factors that come into a sell decision. 

Anyone who tells you buy and hold does not work......stop listening to them. Quickly. When you own the right companies your batting average on buy and hold will outperform the index’s over the long term (10 years or more). It is proven. And even if you don’t out perform said index......if the average annual return will get you to your goals with less risk than the index......WIN WIN.

Last edited by a moderator:
See, when I read this, I'm like huh?!  Lol
He is selling a stock and those proceeds will be is Roth contribution and HSA contribution for 2021. Shifting sand in the sandbox. Retitling his assets. Moving from one bucket (taxable account) to qualified accounts (HSA) and non qualified IRA which is a Roth. 

The Roth IRA does not allow you deduct your contribution from your gross taxable income, but it grows tax free and can be withdrawn tax free unlike a traditional IRA or 401K which deducts contributions you make annually from your taxable income, they grow tax free but....when taken out counts as ordinary income and is reported as such. 

List the stocks you bought on my master list. Nothing has changed to be frank. All of them are long term. Until I see a reason to sell due to change in business, competition, no growth, unreliable dividends etc. We buy and hold. Typically we do shave a little to make sure we are not over exposed. But that is a whole other discussion. When we hit price targets, we re-evaluate and see if it is time to exit.

A perfect example was PPL. Loved it. However I know that dividend is most likely getting cut due to the divesture of their UK business. The price was not nearly as attractive anymore and we made some 30% upside on a utility. I sold and shifted to EXC. So there are many factors that come into a sell decision. 

Anyone who tells you buy and hold does not work......stop listening to them. Quickly. When you own the right companies your batting average on buy and hold will outperform the index’s over the long term (10 years or more). It is proven. And even if you don’t out perform said index......if the average annual return will get you to your goals with less risk than the index......WIN WIN.
Been busy lately with the death of my dad, handling his assets, etc.  But this reminded me I needed to put the PPL proceeds into EXC.  Looks like I came out a little ahead for once by snoozing on it.  I'm in at $41.10.  Sold out of PPL at $29.25 in November.

DMGGF has retreated down from the .60s, what are your thoughts on grabbing it now that is below .50?  Thanks
Wish I bought more when it got in the low .40s, but currently I am in at average of .56.  In the last two hours it has jumped from .60 to .83, and up 100% on the day.  

@hooter311  -- thank you for this one (and GBTC)

Been busy lately with the death of my dad, handling his assets, etc.  But this reminded me I needed to put the PPL proceeds into EXC.  Looks like I came out a little ahead for once by snoozing on it.  I'm in at $41.10.  Sold out of PPL at $29.25 in November.
Deepest condolences to you Shula. 

I think there are quite a few positive catalysts coming up, I'd be surprised if it never pops on some sort of upcoming news. That is, I'd bet mucho on a pop after they announce the phase 3 trial is fully enrolled - then just need to decide if you want to hold through data becoming available (a la CYDY). 
Definitely!

Fully agree on all counts here.

It should be a good buy right now even.

Sorry for your loss buddy, hang in there. 

Thx again for the words of wisdom!  They are always greatly appreciated.

Here are the stocks I'm invested in - 

Apple - AAPL

ADX 

Appian - APPN

Boeing - BA

Bloomin - BLMN

Berkshire B - BRKB

Carnival - CCL

Charlotte's Web - CWBHF

CYDY

Discover - DFS

Disney - DIS

Draft Kings - DKNG

Facebook - FB

Fastly - FSLY

GCV

GLPI

Marriott - MAR

MFA

MGM

OKTA

PEO

Pfizer - PFE

Shopify - SHOP

Starwood - STWD

Synchrony Financial - SYF

Zoom - ZM

Zynga - ZNGA

They were all recommendations from either you or Motley Fool and my portfolio has gone up over 115% since I opened the account in mid March. My only "red" investment is Charlotte's Web Holdings - CWBHF, not one from your list. 

Thoughts?

I don't know you Bro, but so sorry for your loss. My thoughts go out to you. 

Thx again for the words of wisdom!  They are always greatly appreciated.

Apple - AAPL - Hold

ADX - Hold

Appian - APPN - Need to research

Boeing - BA - Hold

Bloomin - BLMN - Sell

Berkshire B - BRKB - Sell

Carnival - CCL - Hold

Charlotte's Web - CWBHF - Need to research

CYDY - Sell

Discover - DFS - Sell

Disney - DIS - Hold

Draft Kings - DKNG - Hold

Facebook - FB - Sell

Fastly - FSLY - Need to research

GCV - Hold

GLPI - Hold

Marriott - MAR - Need to research

MFA - Need to research

MGM - Hold

OKTA - Need to research

PEO - Hold

Pfizer - PFE - Hold

Shopify - SHOP - Hold

Starwood - STWD - Hold

Synchrony Financial - SYF - Need to research

Zoom - ZM - Sell

Zynga - ZNGA - Need to research

They were all recommendations from either you or Motley Fool and my portfolio has gone up over 115% since I opened the account in mid March. My only "red" investment is Charlotte's Web Holdings - CWBHF, not one from your list. 

Thoughts?
Here you go.

Here you go.

Berkshire B - BRKB - Sell - Like yesterday

CYDY - Sell - Chet will be sad.  Actually this is a hold for another week or two as anticipation for the reveal builds.

Fastly - FSLY - Need to research - I think this is one of the Motley Fool recs

MFA - Need to research - Real estate lending, residential.  Only has recovered about to 40% of it's crash value.  Pretty much tracked between $7 and $8 the five years prior.  Paying around an 8% dividend and just raise the Jan dividend to 7.5 cents from 5 cents.  I'm up 50%on the shares I bought in July, did the Blooming thing prior.  If you believe the real estate market will come though relatively unscathed, I think this is a safe holding.

Pfizer - PFE - Hold - What's your target here?

Synchrony Financial - SYF - Need to research - Mirror of DFS
A couple of comments for you to consider.

Swaymoney said:
Yup.  Apple, Appian, Fastly, Disney, Facebook, OKTA, Shopify, Zoom and Zynga were all recs from Motley. 

Why sell in BRKB?
It's grossly lagged the market.  Take a look at the three year chart.  https://www.barchart.com/stocks/quotes/$SPX/interactive-chart

brk.b - 6.67%

s&p - 32.61%

QQQ - 87.48%

I wasn't impressed when they sold their airline holdings near the bottom.  Delta ran from the low 20s to near 40.  Not much tech in here outside of Apple.  https://hedgefollow.com/funds/Berkshire+Hathaway  Also with Apple making up that amount of the portfolio, why not just own Apple?

It's grossly lagged the market.  Take a look at the three year chart.  https://www.barchart.com/stocks/quotes/$SPX/interactive-chart

brk.b - 6.67%

s&p - 32.61%

QQQ - 87.48%

I wasn't impressed when they sold their airline holdings near the bottom.  Delta ran from the low 20s to near 40.  Not much tech in here outside of Apple.  https://hedgefollow.com/funds/Berkshire+Hathaway  Also with Apple making up that amount of the portfolio, why not just own Apple?
I see what you're saying. So there are just better places to gamble with my money. 

FAANG gonna get smoked tomorrow 
I still don’t get why on this front. It actually was the Republicans like Cruz who were all up in their faces about break ups and Trump hates Bezos. A lot of the techs higher ups lean democratic.

The economy and stocks are going to have a tough time regardless if GA goes red. If you want to pinpoint the end of the bull market, it might be tonight.

I still don’t get why on this front. It actually was the Republicans like Cruz who were all up in their faces about break ups and Trump hates Bezos. A lot of the techs higher ups lean democratic.

The economy and stocks are going to have a tough time regardless if GA goes red. If you want to pinpoint the end of the bull market, it might be tonight.
I’m not worried about it personally, it’ll be fine. I’m super thrilled. :)

Why?  I know you mean the GA senate races, but why is that bad for FAANG?
I the perception was a controlled government would slap regulations on them. I doubt that ends up being the case however, government has other stuff to focus on. 

Hopefully things should be OK.  Biden campaigned on getting 'The virus" under control.   So hopefully that will be #1 his first year as it should be.

I’m not worried about it personally, it’ll be fine. I’m super thrilled. :)
I’m not. I don’t like either party feeling like they have a mandate. I think we, the middle class - whatever that means - the folks who aren’t rich enough to not worry or struggling to get by, are going to get it up the wazoo.

Good day(s) to buy stocks you believe in for the long term as people stupidly overreact.
I think it may be just starting, the ability to buy at a discount. I really was hoping for gridlock to get stuff passed that makes sense and to not allow one party to go crazy.

I think it may be just starting, the ability to buy at a discount. I really was hoping for gridlock to get stuff passed that makes sense and to not allow one party to go crazy.
The latter isn’t going to happen. Still need 60 votes and the Dems sent a bunch of moderates, anyway. 

Also, to the latter, if Mitch keeps the gavel you definitely don’t get any of the latter because he really only cares about judges. Legislation just collects dust.

I’m not. I don’t like either party feeling like they have a mandate. I think we, the middle class - whatever that means - the folks who aren’t rich enough to not worry or struggling to get by, are going to get it up the wazoo.
Well, I won’t respond in full bc this isn’t the right thread for this, but I definitely disagree. Anyhow, stonks will go up as always. 

Also, to the latter, if Mitch keeps the gavel you definitely don’t get any of the latter because he really only cares about judges. Legislation just collects dust.
The last stimulus package took too long and was too small. That was a glimpse into the future of another Mitch term as leader. Gridlock is fine in normal times, but @#&! needs to get done yesterday. Mitch is great at gumming up the wheels and creating pain for political gain. Not sure that would of been great for the markets or America. There wasn’t any incentive for Mitch to create market friendly policy with a Biden presidency. We can only hope Biden lazer focuses on rolling out the vaccine and ending the pandemic and helping out the millions who suffered economic ruin get back on their feet. If so, the market should be fine. I’m a buyer.

Well, I won’t respond in full bc this isn’t the right thread for this, but I definitely disagree. Anyhow, stonks will go up as always. 
Agreed and that wasn’t my point. Never a Trump fan either but I’ve reviewed the tax plan and am not a fan especially once it gets “revised” a bit more to pay for stuff. Let’s just say I don’t trust that limits will stay where they are and capital gains become more of a only rich people pay them so lower the limits = way more of us in here pay income tax rates.

Agreed and that wasn’t my point. Never a Trump fan either but I’ve reviewed the tax plan and am not a fan especially once it gets “revised” a bit more to pay for stuff. Let’s just say I don’t trust that limits will stay where they are and capital gains become more of a only rich people pay them so lower the limits = way more of us in here pay income tax rates.
Some dudes are so smart!

Clean energy and pot stocks are liking a democratic controlled senate. Big tech seems to be mixed. Anyone seeing anything that is a big overreaction this morning?

Clean energy and pot stocks are liking a democratic controlled senate. Big tech seems to be mixed. Anyone seeing anything that is a big overreaction this morning?
I was thinking the same thing.  What are the favorite pot tickers to watch?

I haven't seen RIOT mentioned here yet, if it was I missed it.  My dive into the Crypto world lead me to looking at them. 

Seem like as long as crypto is blowing up they seem to be a good investment.  They're a crypto mining company.  

SEDG is my best stock today and luckily I have a decent amount since I bought it under $100 back in January. Nice quadruple, but not making up for AMZN and the rest.

This market is pretty frustrating at times because the movements are so big. I think I’m just hanging tight unless I see something looking cheaper but there really aren’t many bargains.

Tesla just can’t be stopped. Should have bought it back in March. Too tentative, didn’t want to buy everything. $325 or 350 pre split was what I recall, SMH. I still think it’s ridiculous but it’s a cult stock. Wouldn’t shock me if reality sets in at some point this year.

SEDG is my best stock today and luckily I have a decent amount since I bought it under $100 back in January. Nice quadruple, but not making up for AMZN and the rest.

This market is pretty frustrating at times because the movements are so big. I think I’m just hanging tight unless I see something looking cheaper but there really aren’t many bargains.

Tesla just can’t be stopped. Should have bought it back in March. Too tentative, didn’t want to buy everything. $325 or 350 pre split was what I recall, SMH. I still think it’s ridiculous but it’s a cult stock. Wouldn’t shock me if reality sets in at some point this year.
I think a lot of us having been expecting reality to set in with tesla for some time now. I just don't get it...

My big move into Bank Bulls is paying off.  BNKU just jumped into my top 3 holdings in my play account (trailing DKNG and LRNZ)

Users who are viewing this thread