What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Stock Thread (5 Viewers)

I was told there would be a 10% drop if the Democrats took the Senate. 😷
I’m done trying to worry about stuff. So many things in here you miss but I feel like I’m low on cash right now. I’ve got a rollover for my wife in process that hopefully gets sent soon as I’ve got a few things to buy and hold.

I’m absolutely worried but I don’t feel like I’ve got much short term stuff so I can handle a dip. Just feels like nothing can lose right now. Even stodgy banks like BAC are at their peaks of the last decade even though their revenue is still right in the $80-90B channel they’ve been in for years and I don’t see them innovating at all.

FCEL that todem mentioned as not as good fundamentally as his BLDP pick has been rolling lately but their revenue has been falling for years. Their 2020 revenue looks up maybe 10%, which is the first time in a while but their P/S is almost 70. ZM’s price to sales is similar and their growth rate was off the charts. FCEL is priced as if it’s already succeeded and is revenue is 3-4 times what it is and continuing to grow at 25% a year. I know there’s clean energy focus but there’s a ton of competition. Reminds me of LAZR in the LIDAR area. Seems like a growth business just a big market cap for basically an auto-supplier. There also seems to be a new LIDAR company going public through an SPAC every day. I feel like I’ve read about 10 of them now.

It really is a wacky time and there’s no doubt in my mind that in 5 years, 80% of these new companies will be worth nothing. Ride the wave though. Hard to tell if my stocks are the rage or the new laggards because it changes every day.

Any thoughts on Bridgetown Holding BTWN? It's down around 15-20% from where people were touting it the past few weeks. I'd love to lower my basis but can't help but feel like these things are scams. 
I posted my worry about them multiple times. SPACs now seem to have a built in premium now even without a merger. BTWN went up 90% because of a rumor which actually was basically rebutted but the stock didn’t go down much. It was Tokopedia and BTWN folks sent them a proposal but Tokopedia hired banks (who do IPOs) and said they got the proposal but are looking at going IPO. They are like SE so IPO makes them way more. It took a while but it finally went down a bit. I still think their premium is too high pre-merger but people like the backers and most people who bought it saw the run up and likely don’t know any details.

Well today not too bad.
And I thought my stocks weren’t in vogue. Now my entire portfolio is up 3%. I don’t own many of the crazy poppers but that’s a great day after a crappy one yesterday. I wish I could just fast forward 5 years in terms of looking at stocks so I’d stop checking all the time.

I’m done trying to worry about stuff. So many things in here you miss but I feel like I’m low on cash right now. I’ve got a rollover for my wife in process that hopefully gets sent soon as I’ve got a few things to buy and hold.

I’m absolutely worried but I don’t feel like I’ve got much short term stuff so I can handle a dip. Just feels like nothing can lose right now. Even stodgy banks like BAC are at their peaks of the last decade even though their revenue is still right in the $80-90B channel they’ve been in for years and I don’t see them innovating at all.

FCEL that todem mentioned as not as good fundamentally as his BLDP pick has been rolling lately but their revenue has been falling for years. Their 2020 revenue looks up maybe 10%, which is the first time in a while but their P/S is almost 70. ZM’s price to sales is similar and their growth rate was off the charts. FCEL is priced as if it’s already succeeded and is revenue is 3-4 times what it is and continuing to grow at 25% a year. I know there’s clean energy focus but there’s a ton of competition. Reminds me of LAZR in the LIDAR area. Seems like a growth business just a big market cap for basically an auto-supplier. There also seems to be a new LIDAR company going public through an SPAC every day. I feel like I’ve read about 10 of them now.

It really is a wacky time and there’s no doubt in my mind that in 5 years, 80% of these new companies will be worth nothing. Ride the wave though. Hard to tell if my stocks are the rage or the new laggards because it changes every day.
The only bank stock I own is JPM. That’s it. The rest are dogs.

They don’t generate the revenue to justify the stock prices and more regulation will be coming back (They are already far more regulated since the Great Recession and rightfully so). 

The market is frothy and full of euphoria. This is exactly acting like the tech bubble of 2000. It is a matter of time before we have a reversion to the mean. And I will say this.

When the police come and raid the brothels they take the pretty ones too. So if you are an Amazon, Apple, Google stock holder (I think all of us are) don’t fret. The gains you have in those stocks can absorb a 15-30% hit short term. Relax. It will be temporary. 

Instead focus on the long term, build some cash if you can and get ready for another sale....we always get sales. It is par for the course. Have a list of high quality names you love or simply add to your existing names.

You can’t own everything.

Last edited by a moderator:
how much are you guys typically pumping into the market each paycheck/monthly?
Including employer matching, 529s, IRAs, etc probably $4-5 grand.  Not sure what I’m doing on the IRAs yet...considering maxing mine and my wife’s now vs averaging through the year.

IPOE to merge with SoFi. Up 30% on the news.
I realized too late I forgot to buy some E and F. Bought B and C early back before the mania in SPACs and still have D as well. I honestly have too many stocks, getting to be like Bass where I can’t remember everything.

I realized two late I forgot to buy some E and F. Bought B and C early back before the mania in SPACs and still have D as well. I honestly have too many stocks, getting to be like Bass where I can’t remember everything.
I think I've reached peak number of positions in a few of my accounts, but opened another account with some pent up savings last week for the next new names :oldunsure:

how much are you guys typically pumping into the market each paycheck/monthly?
About 25% for me right now.  This past year I upped my TSP/401K to 15%, and my monthly Brokerage Account deposit is around 10%.  Normally I'm between 10-15% total and some of the increase is from gas/lunch savings by not going to the office and just general covid shutdown.    

15% of my income goes in every month not including my company match (100% up to 4% of my contribution). So 19% a year goes in (until I reach the 401K limits). Been doing this since age 25.
Wish I was as dedicated early, I’d probably be retired or maybe divorced! Kids put a kabosh on that as my wife stopped working for about 13 years and we had 3 of those suckers! Have been very laser focused the past 7-8 years after my wife started working again. Also, did great with my decent sized 401k I rolled over in 2018*. Nice feeling that if we were forced to retire right now we’d be fine. Wouldn’t be dream lake house but easy living at our current house and a nice retirement once SS kicked in a decade+. Don’t plan on retiring until 5-10 years (5 means investing did very well), so we can get the dream lake house and the easy living.

* Props to the company that bought us for closing down our 401k and for me deciding to roll it over to self directed IRA. I waited longer than I should have, but started buying in 2019 and that IRA is up 150%. S&P is up 31% since I rolled it over.  Made up many years of not investing. I’d be not so happy if it rolled over to 401k.

I realized too late I forgot to buy some E and F. Bought B and C early back before the mania in SPACs and still have D as well. I honestly have too many stocks, getting to be like Bass where I can’t remember everything.
I suggested parking cash in SPACs as a safe haven, little did I know that they would be growth stocks.  Wish I had bought a little less Amazon and parked more in SPACs.

About 25% for me right now.  This past year I upped my TSP/401K to 15%, and my monthly Brokerage Account deposit is around 10%.  Normally I'm between 10-15% total and some of the increase is from gas/lunch savings by not going to the office and just general covid shutdown.    
Wife and I max out our 401ks but not really saving a ton more than that because I am currently paying for college out of my checking account so not saving as much as I’d like, but that’s my goal. Don’t touch investments while paying for 10 more paid years (2 down wee!) of college over the next 8 years. No idea if I can do it, but that would be more than enough “savings” just keeping the investments invested and build up the 401ks. Kids are effin expensive, especially with cars and college. It’s going to feel weird a few years from now not having those expenses. Hopefully retired at that point.

Wife and I max out our 401ks but not really saving a ton more than that because I am currently paying for college out of my checking account so not saving as much as I’d like, but that’s my goal. Don’t touch investments while paying for 10 more paid years (2 down wee!) of college over the next 8 years. No idea if I can do it, but that would be more than enough “savings” just keeping the investments invested and build up the 401ks. Kids are effin expensive, especially with cars and college. It’s going to feel weird a few years from now not having those expenses. Hopefully retired at that point.
:lmao:

FYI...Scottie doesn't magically beam them up after they graduate.

Really could be a fine line there :lol:  
Yep, saving more and my wife haven’t always been aligned. I might be retired now, but probably alone!

I will add that she’s kicked ### since she got back full time and been contributing a #### ton so I can’t complain. It’s just a bit leaner when it’s a family of 5 with one income. I honestly have way more respect now for single parents raising kids and not making tons. When we were DINKs for a few years before marriage and two after it was pretty damn easy.

Kids suck.  Our parents lied to us when they said it's great.  And I'll lie to my kids and tell them the same.  Little punkass money wasters.  jk, kind of...  :oldunsure:   

My kids aren't in college yet so I don't have that expense for another 7 years.  I'm funding their EdVest accounts on top of my investments, but not as much.  Hoping to push them towards the military route (against my wife's wishes) and let Uncle Sam foot their college bill like he did for me.    

so im 37 and contributing 401k (tsp) and I also have a ROTH through work. I'll be contributing to that also this year. Wife has a 401k as well doing about 10%. I was planning on putting in 1k cash each month into Ameritrade and just investing into ETF's etc. Also I have been slacking and need to contribute to 529 plans for my kids. Anything else you guys can recommend that I may be missing ?

I don’t know if I will ever truly retire. I am going to be 51 next month, love what I do, and can see myself continuing to work until my brain does not allow it. As long as I have clients....I will work in some capacity. 

So let’s call it semi retirement by age 70. My goal is at age 65 to have my home fully paid off (just moved into our dream home in July) and this is it for me in that regard. If I ever sold it....whatever I go into next will be paid in cash. 

I have a 15 year old son (1 kid) so we have college coming up fast. We planned for it. Everything depends on what he wants. He is a talented baseball player and wants to continue playing in college. D1 schools in Florida are all prepaid. But I don’t think he will be playing D1 at this point. All D2 schools in Florida are private  schools so I will be coming out of pocket a little if he goes that route and stays in Florida.  He has a 4.3 GPA so he has a great shot at getting academic money. So it is all a play by ear. Things can change on a dime with teenagers and what they want. But he is pretty focused on playing ball and being a student athlete. Time will tell.

“But the fundamentals just don’t make sense”, I confidently say to myself about Tesla, as everybody else continues to make hilarious amounts of money 
I was hearing the same things on AMZN. I have been in this stock.....for a long long time. 

Because I believed in it.

I have certain norms I stick by for better or for worse.

That is why I missed the big boat on TSLA. As a side note I did buy it in my own account 2011 for 25 a share and held to 197. (500 shares) So we made a pretty penny in it. Never got back in. Did not believe in them nor their fundamentals. 

Oh well. I never look back. And there will be more 10 baggers in my life I will hit on. I have no regrets, and no jealousy and congratulations to those that have cashed in that ticket. 

Yes.......I would be cashing out here on TSLA. 

so im 37 and contributing 401k (tsp) and I also have a ROTH through work. I'll be contributing to that also this year. Wife has a 401k as well doing about 10%. I was planning on putting in 1k cash each month into Ameritrade and just investing into ETF's etc. Also I have been slacking and need to contribute to 529 plans for my kids. Anything else you guys can recommend that I may be missing ?
You're fed/civil service right?  That FERS is a real nice boost too.  I don't know what your end goals are, but I think you'll be fine because you're paying attention to it now.  You can build up quite a nest egg in 20+ years.  I'm 42 and feel like I'm way a head of where I want to be at 60, but I'm also very simple living and don't need much.

You're fed/civil service right?  That FERS is a real nice boost too.  I don't know what your end goals are, but I think you'll be fine because you're paying attention to it now.  You can build up quite a nest egg in 20+ years.  I'm 42 and feel like I'm way a head of where I want to be at 60, but I'm also very simple living and don't need much.
Yep fed.  Sounds good I’ll just stick to my guns. I hate having cash sit in my savings doing nothing 

When the police come and raid the brothels they take the pretty ones too. So if you are an Amazon, Apple, Google stock holder (I think all of us are) don’t fret. The gains you have in those stocks can absorb a 15-30% hit short term. Relax. It will be temporary. 

Instead focus on the long term, build some cash if you can and get ready for another sale....we always get sales. It is par for the course. Have a list of high quality names you love or simply add to your existing names.

You can’t own everything.
Just curious to see how much of a Cash position people are still holding? I know Todem said he was around 5%

We are still sitting just under 20% and I am kicking myself for not getting more in, but everyday just feels like it's too late, don't do it now, and everyday stuff just keeps climbing...

I'm new to investing in individual stocks and I need to get better at this.
I'm 46, been doing it since 22 and I still need to be better at this.  Still harsh on myself to this day for some foolish moves I made as a 23-25 year old in 1997-1999.  The best way I've learned to cope with it is that in those days that really wasn't investing, what I was doing was gambling.

Yep, saving more and my wife haven’t always been aligned. I might be retired now, but probably alone!

I will add that she’s kicked ### since she got back full time and been contributing a #### ton so I can’t complain. It’s just a bit leaner when it’s a family of 5 with one income. I honestly have way more respect now for single parents raising kids and not making tons. When we were DINKs for a few years before marriage and two after it was pretty damn easy.
I'd turned her into a savings monster years before we got engaged. We were starting to have some tensions as I was spending a lot more as I have been earning a lot more. Funny enough, the pandemic has really realigned us because we can't spend much money anyways. So we have refocused on working towards retirement.

“But the fundamentals just don’t make sense”, I confidently say to myself about Tesla, as everybody else continues to make hilarious amounts of money 
Lol. People complained about Amazon’s PE ratio when we all knew (and they said) they were reinvesting. Right now Tesla’s PE is almost 20x Amazon’s. Not 20 more, 20 times. That said, these are funny times we live in now!

I was hearing the same things on AMZN. I have been in this stock.....for a long long time. 

Because I believed in it.

I have certain norms I stick by for better or for worse.

That is why I missed the big boat on TSLA. As a side note I did buy it in my own account 2011 for 25 a share and held to 197. (500 shares) So we made a pretty penny in it. Never got back in. Did not believe in them nor their fundamentals. 

Oh well. I never look back. And there will be more 10 baggers in my life I will hit on. I have no regrets, and no jealousy and congratulations to those that have cashed in that ticket. 

Yes.......I would be cashing out here on TSLA. 
I have stops on it. I’ll make my money. I understand you have your way and it’s successful, but that’s what I meant when I said there is now more than one way to hit a homer. 

Just curious to see how much of a Cash position people are still holding? I know Todem said he was around 5%

We are still sitting just under 20% and I am kicking myself for not getting more in, but everyday just feels like it's too late, don't do it now, and everyday stuff just keeps climbing...
I’m about 8%. Not really by design, just happened that way. I’m close to trimming some high flyers so I can start a new position from my watchlist.

That's the biggest bummer about my partner being laid off a few months ago.  Unemployment basically covers what she was contributing to the household budget, but she was plowing like 40% of her income into her 401K to max it out the past couple of years (she obviously didn't make a ton).

UVXY so tempting at this level, but I know it's like tempting fate.
I dipped into it last week, and bought a bit more yesterday on the dip to lower my cost basis (and should have turned around and sold it in the afternoon but missed it).  Of course it could keep going down from here, and since March the lows keep drifting a little lower, but it's pretty close to the 52-week low right now.  

I'm new to investing in individual stocks and I need to get better at this.
Very much in your boat. I am an over analyzer, always have been. So glad I stopped doing FF the past few years. Looking back at every wrong decision for 20 years got grating.

I think I’ve gotten better but in here you’ll see so many hey X is up 20% today and you know you saw the initial recommendation and didn’t buy it.

Make your decisions but don’t worry about what you didn’t buy. It’s funny how I’d be bummed about something I missed like GBTC but then forget about CRSP or ZS that have also quadrupled.

The only advice I’d give is that if a stock does well and you didn’t buy don’t jump in if it’s really more of a short term trade versus a good company where starting late isn’t always bad.

Dude......it is an imperative norm to live by in all phases of life.
Agreed.  I'm pretty good at it in normal life.  But as a new investor it's not second nature to be happy with making 10% on BEEM rather that 5X, for example  :bag:  

Cobalt the metal ticked up again, coming up on 52-week highs last seen in Jan. 2020.  Physical Co metal prices have been largely dormant but the velocity of upward price movement we are seeing now is interesting.  We got a call from a broker this week looking for 150 tonnes of high grade cobalt from us (which is a BIG order) and the broker was representing investors (like us) which have been completely absent the last couple of years.  Feels like a return to industrial/minor metals is a real and sustainable playable investment theme currently.

Anybody else looking at Tin?   Like all metals of this ilk, demand isn't the primary author of price formation; it's supply and while demand for tin will be increasing the supply constraint is the important component.  Here's a brief primer from a company (Alphamin Resources:  AFMJF) we own and like quite a bit (and for you penny stock guys, an interesting name to add to your watch list):

Researchers from the Massachusetts Institute for Technology (MIT) in the United States have estimated that tin is the metal most likely to be positively affected by future technology.

Currently, tin is primarily used for soldering circuit boards, but researchers predict that tin will be the material of choice for the next generation of energy-generating and -storage devices whilst being the “glue” that holds all of these components together. This will make tin a vital component in the manufacturing of electric vehicles, advanced robotics, renewable energies, and advanced computing.

The greatest drivers for tin demand will be the Internet of Things and climate change.

Demand for tin has historically grown at a steady 2%–3%. The depletion of existing mine reserves and growing regulations have meant that global supply is unlikely to keep up with future demand.

Forecasters expect the tin supply to move into deficit during 2022, increasing after this unless new production is brought to market. There are few new tin projects which are imminent producers. A tin price of ~$21,500/tonne is the required incentive price for these projects to be considered viable.
:popcorn:

Users who are viewing this thread