Jump to content
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Stock Thread


Recommended Posts

5 minutes ago, stbugs said:

Almost worst when you look at the chart as 3 of the other 4 are very risky stocks just happen to have prices over $1. Outside of Nio, these are all very speculative stocks. Seems like a bat signal for rough seas ahead.

You don't think NIO is speculative?. At its current price?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, BassNBrew said:

JPM, Wells, and C all with earning on Friday.  Opinions on hold or sell?  Will we get buy back announcements?

No idea. Look at the MU action before and after announcing earnings. No rhyme or reason.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Big League Chew said:

in MGTI @ .197 for 1k shares

 

I am thinking of tailing this based on the 90 million shares traded.  What was your decision to jump in on this stock.

I jumped into CTRM (Castor Maritime) for a 1K shares at .30 thinking of bringint it to 5K shares in the morning.

I also jumped into NAKD (Naked Brand Group) at .52 for 1K shares.

Those are my pennies I jumped in this week.  Also still holding 100K shares of BLPG

Link to comment
Share on other sites

35 minutes ago, cosjobs said:

You don't think NIO is speculative?. At its current price?

Risky and frothy, heck yes, speculative with no revenue, waiting on approval or hoping not to be delisted, no. They’ve got real revenue, real product and growth. Nio is more of a Snowflake, is the stock too high to make a good return versus is this company going to be gone in a few years.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Speaking of NIO would like some FBG guru's advice.  Thinking of buying 5K worth of BUSXF (Grande West Transportation Group) on the premise it could be a flyer since it is an alternative fuel Bus company thinking it rip like NIO did in 2020.

Also thining of taking a 1K share in GEVO wondering if at 6.50 if I am late to the party with GEVO

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, stbugs said:

Risky and frothy, heck yes, speculative with no revenue, waiting on approval or hoping not to be delisted, no. They’ve got real revenue, real product and growth. Nio is more of a Snowflake, is the stock too high to make a good return versus is this company going to be gone in a few years.

We have some XPEV and my father in law has a ton of NIO cheap. Chinese EVs are going to be a very big market I want a part of. You might get any of the names much cheaper.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, tonysmiles said:

Speaking of NIO would like some FBG guru's advice.  Thinking of buying 5K worth of BUSXF (Grande West Transportation Group) on the premise it could be a flyer since it is an alternative fuel Bus company thinking it rip like NIO did in 2020.

Also thining of taking a 1K share in GEVO wondering if at 6.50 if I am late to the party with GEVO

Hmm, checked out GEVO and I wouldn’t touch it. Don’t listen to me as I’ve been wrong about speculative stocks before. There revenue has been flat for years until 2020:

Q4 2019: $7M

Q1 2020: $4M

Q2 2020: <$1M

Q3 2020: Close to $0

Renewable energy doesn’t seem like something that would be that affected by CV-19 since it hasn’t done that to other alternative energy stocks.

Then you get this info in an article today that caused a nice pop:

This morning, the company announced a new "Net-Zero Projects" concept for producing "energy dense liquid hydrocarbons using renewable energy." Under the concept, Gevo says it will take renewable energy produced from solar, wind, or other power sources and use it to transform crops into transportable liquid fuel, with the by-product being only "high protein feed products for use in the food chain."

Gevo says it will need to invest $700 million to create Net-Zero 1. The company, which currently has about $80 million in the bank and is raising $150 million more from a stock offering, says it is "working ... with Citigroup to get [the rest of Net-Zero 1] financed."

I sure don’t get warm and fuzzy feels from that. Reeks of desperation and an idea they drew up on the back of a napkin. Dilute the stock 20%, use up all the cash and saddle the company with debt about 75% of the market cap on a hope since revenues are somehow down to squadoosh. Again, just my opinion but I wouldn’t touch it.

ETA: Remember this is my opinion of the company/long term prospects versus short term timing it while it runs up whether real or not. 

Edited by stbugs
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Anyone left in here with Albertson's?  It's not real sexy but it is performing.  Probably just me as I'm the only one foolish enough to be hanging onto to Amazon.

Smashed earnings and raised guidance.  Based on that guidance the 2021 PE is 5.5.  2.3% dividend.  It's only 0.4% of my portfolio but I basically have been in as a "cash" position.  The 18.5% return in the last two months has been a nice return on cash.  I'd like to add a few more of these.  If the market tanks I suspect they will drop substantially less and it would be easy to pivot elsewhere.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, BassNBrew said:

JPM, Wells, and C all with earning on Friday.  Opinions on hold or sell?  Will we get buy back announcements?

I have a tough time with WFC. Just don't want to own out of principle. But I believe they're trading below book value still. I'd have a tough time selling that right now with the prospect of a new CEO leading them out of regulatory hell.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, Nick Vermeil said:

My spidysense is telling me to grab some ZOM gains tomorrow and wait to rebuy. I trust the FBG recommendation long term but there may be too much attention on it right now. 
 

 

My spidysense is a little too slow. 

  • Laughing 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/9/2021 at 11:31 AM, McBokonon said:

Acquisition confirmed.

Quote

Singapore’s Sea Ltd., the tech startup that’s become Southeast Asia’s most valuable company, has acquired Indonesia’s PT Bank Kesejahteraan Ekonomi, according to people familiar with the matter.

Sea has gained full control of the Jakarta-based lender, better known as Bank BKE, after buying stakes from existing shareholders PT Danadipa Artha Indonesia and PT Koin Investama Nusantara through its subsidiary Turbo Cash Hong Kong Ltd., said the people who asked not to be named as the matter is private.

The move accelerates the company’s ambition to establish itself as a leader in financial technology and services across its region, much as it has done with mobile gaming and online shopping. Sea raised almost $3 billion in a stock offering last month, saying it intends to spend the proceeds on business expansion.

:drive:

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

47 minutes ago, Todem said:

Irrational Exuberance is truly taking a hold of this market.

Be careful people.

I feel like I've been careful since May and it hasn't gone so well. What's your advice? I still have about 5% cash between various accounts but of course have a ton of stuff that's run up over the last couple of months. Most stocks I buy are companies I like and want to hold long term. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, McBokonon said:

I did a little trimming on high flyers yesterday. You raising any cash?

Our target cash balance is 25-30%. I don’t get too crazy because I am a long term investor. But I also tactically raise cash to take advantage of corrections when all my flags start raising. We are currently sitting at about 15% (that was after year end rebalancing an tax harvesting). For my IRA’s I will stay at 15%. But my taxable accounts I am raising more cash this week. 

My 401K, I never touch in that regard. I stay fully invested. rebalance two times a year and keep plowing money into it every month. It is a natural dollar cost averaging account anyway. 

 

90% of my stocks are solid, fundamentally sound positions. I have about 10% in what I would consider highly  speculative positions. But oddly enough my most speculative position (BLDP), is earmarked as a long term hold (minimum 5 years). I truly believe in the space (Hydrogen Power Cell Tech) and the long term viability of that company. When that stock does pull back (because it will) I will add more with the cash I build. I am also depositing extra cash I have at the end of each month into my taxable account. 

We will get some real volatility this year. Nothing that will surprise me. And we will be buyers as always. 

Rinse and repeat. 

 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, CR69 said:

I feel like I've been careful since May and it hasn't gone so well. What's your advice? I still have about 5% cash between various accounts but of course have a ton of stuff that's run up over the last couple of months. Most stocks I buy are companies I like and want to hold long term. 

Honestly, if it’s money you won’t need soon and you want to legit hold them for years, you could sit through it. My portfolio was up over 100% for 2020. I didn’t really sell anything (not counting selling one and buying another) in March, rode it out and even added some where I had cash. The returns of everything from the March bottom was 200%. If I had sold in February but didn’t feel comfortable to jump back in at the exact right point, I could have missed out on the biggest gains. Some people timed it right but others probably sat there and waited too long.

This isn’t easy. I think about trimming because I can look at my long term stocks and 22 of them have doubled or more. 3 of those I bought in May 2019, the other 19 were October 2019 or in 2020, even as little as a couple months ago. That’s awesome but it sure does worry you that there will be a pause or correction soon. I’ll likely not do much trimming at all as more than half is in an IRA that I won’t touch for 10 years at a minimum. I’d also have to pay taxes on anything sold in my taxable account even if long term so who knows.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, BassNBrew said:

Don't we usually get a 20% run up once this starts?

The valuations I am seeing of course are an indicator.

 

But here some others:

1. Margin balances on a % basis have not been this high since the 2000 tech bubble. A huge warning sign.

2. I am hearing far too much chatter from people who truly amateurs telling me what stocks to buy. I am talking in my local circles. I coach baseball. I have players parents all talking to me now about their portfolios. Another warning sign. Too many are stock experts again. People that I know that simply have no business giving me stock advice.

3. Too much bitcoin chatter....just getting out of hand. We are talking about a paperless and completely  unregulated currency that can be gone like a fart in the wind tomorrow. If you have a bitcoin account.....it can be hacked. This is an artificial currency used on the dark web and by scammers. That alone should give you a ton of pause and apprehension about getting involved in this. That is another bubble waiting to implode. It smells. It feels off. Too good to be true territory. 

And some will completely disagree with me. That is ok. I won’t argue. I will simply do what I do and advise how I advise. I have my methodology. I only invest in what I fully understand. I don’t like cocktail napkin stock tips (whisper stocks) and I don’t take stock advice from my hairdresser. 

All those common sense elements are emanating all around me. We are headed for a correction. When the selling starts.....the margins are called and then you get outright selling of everything to cover. That is why the margin balances are a huge tell tale sign we are on that cusp. All it takes is a 7-10% correction and that snowballs into 15 to 20% due to margin calls. 

I am not trying to be an alarmist. And hey.....if I am wrong. Awesome. We will continue to participate in this great market. But I know better. Been doing this since 1987.

 

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, BassNBrew said:

65 stocks in the MIL account acquired since mid Sept.

5 worst performers - AMZN, DIS, CRM, RLFTF, and UUUU

2x or better - CBBT, FLGT, LAZR, NNOX

50% or better return - BLDP, C, CYDY, HGEN, JPM, SE (almost), WFC

Buying CBBT in the MIL account = GOLD for so many reasons.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Todem said:

The valuations I am seeing of course are an indicator.

 

But here some others:

1. Margin balances on a % basis have not been this high since the 2000 tech bubble. A huge warning sign.

2. I am hearing far too much chatter from people who truly amateurs telling me what stocks to buy. I am talking in my local circles. I coach baseball. I have players parents all talking to me now about their portfolios. Another warning sign. Too many are stock experts again. People that I know that simply have no business giving me stock advice.

3. Too much bitcoin chatter....just getting out of hand. We are talking about a paperless and completely  unregulated currency that can be gone like a fart in the wind tomorrow. If you have a bitcoin account.....it can be hacked. This is an artificial currency used on the dark web and by scammers. That alone should give you a ton of pause and apprehension about getting involved in this. That is another bubble waiting to implode. It smells. It feels off. Too good to be true territory. 

And some will completely disagree with me. That is ok. I won’t argue. I will simply do what I do and advise how I advise. I have my methodology. I only invest in what I fully understand. I don’t like cocktail napkin stock tips (whisper stocks) and I don’t take stock advice from my hairdresser. 

All those common sense elements are emanating all around me. We are headed for a correction. When the selling starts.....the margins are called and then you get outright selling of everything to cover. That is why the margin balances are a huge tell tale sign we are on that cusp. All it takes is a 7-10% correction and that snowballs into 15 to 20% due to margin calls. 

I am not trying to be an alarmist. And hey.....if I am wrong. Awesome. We will continue to participate in this great market. But I know better. Been doing this since 1987.

 

I’m in total agreement. I like your target cash numbers, may put together a trim list to see how I get there.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, ChiefD said:

Yeah. 

That’s one of those that will frustrate me, so when it finally gets back to green I sell it, only for it to go up another 450% for the rest of the year.

I’m holding. In chet I trust.

Yea...it's his play for all of 2021, not just January.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Out of RIDE - Hit 50% return on this round

10% reduction in SE this morning - It's exceeded my price target.  Will continue to trim if it goes up and will buy on any pullback.

50% reduction in Corsair gaming - 5% pop today, 30% return in the last month.  Thanks to whoever suggested this.

Looks like my AIRI order tripped yesterday for a 10% gain.  This was a shot at a ABNB bump that didn't work out as planned.  Nice to make money on a screw up.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Exited 1/3 of my GBTC this morning to lock in some gains.. it had gotten a little top-heavy.  Will buy back on the next dip. 

REALLY tempting to lock in a bit with BLDP given the 50% run up... @todem whatcha thinking there? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, CR69 said:

I feel like I've been careful since May and it hasn't gone so well. What's your advice? I still have about 5% cash between various accounts but of course have a ton of stuff that's run up over the last couple of months. Most stocks I buy are companies I like and want to hold long term. 

I get greedy when people are afraid. And I get afraid when people are greedy. 

We are in that "people are getting greedy point". 

I really cannot give broad based statements on a persons individual situation. I am sorry. I have no clue what you portfolio looks like, what your returns have been, what the goals are.

That is hard and not fair to you.

2 minutes ago, [icon] said:

Exited 1/3 of my GBTC this morning to lock in some gains.. it had gotten a little top-heavy.  Will buy back on the next dip. 

REALLY tempting to lock in a bit with BLDP given the 50% run up... @todem whatcha thinking there? 

A pull back is likely in the name. But I am really digging in for the long haul on this one. And also why no more than 5% of my account is in the name. It is a speculative stock and it will swing. If your time horizon is short.....you take your money, pat yourself on the back for a great trade and do not look back.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, BassNBrew said:

50% reduction in Corsair gaming - 5% pop today, 30% return in the last month.  Thanks to whoever suggested this.

That was me, but I never added to my 50 shares. If it dips back to mid 30s I’ll add some more. This is one of those too many stocks where I didn’t think about adding more until I saw it jump into the $40s. I think longer term could be a nice 15-20% a year gainer.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, Nigel said:

I'm now feeling sorry I didn't get in on the drop but FUBO must be making some of you who did happy today. 

And here I was just getting FUBAR :kicksrock:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/30/2020 at 8:56 AM, stbugs said:

.

IPOB and PSTH have been running well lately as well. Feels like people are thinking PSTH is near a merger.

Weird start though, was almost up 1%, then down 0.4% and now flat. Just jumping all around with the pops this morning fading.

PSTH getting in the news a little bit lately. Rising ~10% in the last few days. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Todem said:

The valuations I am seeing of course are an indicator.

 

But here some others:

1. Margin balances on a % basis have not been this high since the 2000 tech bubble. A huge warning sign.

2. I am hearing far too much chatter from people who truly amateurs telling me what stocks to buy. I am talking in my local circles. I coach baseball. I have players parents all talking to me now about their portfolios. Another warning sign. Too many are stock experts again. People that I know that simply have no business giving me stock advice.

3. Too much bitcoin chatter....just getting out of hand. We are talking about a paperless and completely  unregulated currency that can be gone like a fart in the wind tomorrow. If you have a bitcoin account.....it can be hacked. This is an artificial currency used on the dark web and by scammers. That alone should give you a ton of pause and apprehension about getting involved in this. That is another bubble waiting to implode. It smells. It feels off. Too good to be true territory. 

And some will completely disagree with me. That is ok. I won’t argue. I will simply do what I do and advise how I advise. I have my methodology. I only invest in what I fully understand. I don’t like cocktail napkin stock tips (whisper stocks) and I don’t take stock advice from my hairdresser. 

All those common sense elements are emanating all around me. We are headed for a correction. When the selling starts.....the margins are called and then you get outright selling of everything to cover. That is why the margin balances are a huge tell tale sign we are on that cusp. All it takes is a 7-10% correction and that snowballs into 15 to 20% due to margin calls. 

I am not trying to be an alarmist. And hey.....if I am wrong. Awesome. We will continue to participate in this great market. But I know better. Been doing this since 1987.

 

Great points here as always. Disagree on BTC, but certainly understand your POV. Went ahead and got out of some things that had run up that I didn't truly believe in, other than 3 SPACs: PSTH, IPOD and FUSE. 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, -OZ- said:

PSTH getting in the news a little bit lately. Rising ~10% in the last few days. 

Yep, I’m up almost 30% with no merger. The one thing to remember on PSTH is that it started at $20, not $10. They raised a lot more money than most SPACs. It would be nice to get a merger and see if this is a long term hold or not. Most SPACs that have merged that I bought have actually been things I’m happy to hold. OPEN, CLOV (not exciting, but should be good), RIDE (sold at $28.5), LAZR (sold at $29.5), TTCF and GHIV (might sell after switchover). I think when they get over $25 to $30, definitely good time to think about unloading although some have flown much further. Still have a bunch that haven’t merged but IPOD and PSTH are the only ones at a large premium, others are 10-20% up. I definitely wasn’t wrong when I said SPACs might be a great place to park cash. Probably should have parked all of my cash there as that was before the big EV popping. Definitely missed out on some doozies.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, Al Czervik said:

ZOM taking a beating.

Those are the type of stocks that will get crushed if there’s any type of large correction.

I will throw out one thing to folks in the really speculative stuff. Check the volumes as I’d strongly avoid things with thin volume.

One of the last IPOs that Fidelity deemed me worthy of a pittance was LSF. Did great on it sold it above $50, but it took like 10 minutes to sell my 100 shares. That’s right only 100 and it took a while. It was split into 3 different sales.

That was a stock that had more than doubled and was doing well but had a thin volume. If you are trying to exit a large position from a thinly traded stock while others are doing the same, you could lose a chunk just waiting for a sale. Anyway, just a PSA on that because I experienced it and that wasn’t a fire sale/big drop just a stock without volume during a good time.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, stbugs said:

Yep, I’m up almost 30% with no merger. The one thing to remember on PSTH is that it started at $20, not $10. They raised a lot more money than most SPACs. It would be nice to get a merger and see if this is a long term hold or not. Most SPACs that have merged that I bought have actually been things I’m happy to hold. OPEN, CLOV (not exciting, but should be good), RIDE (sold at $28.5), LAZR (sold at $29.5), TTCF and GHIV (might sell after switchover). I think when they get over $25 to $30, definitely good time to think about unloading although some have flown much further. Still have a bunch that haven’t merged but IPOD and PSTH are the only ones at a large premium, others are 10-20% up. I definitely wasn’t wrong when I said SPACs might be a great place to park cash. Probably should have parked all of my cash there as that was before the big EV popping. Definitely missed out on some doozies.

FWIW, if you're on SA, this is a good article on SPACs: Link

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Todem said:

Irrational Exuberance is truly taking a hold of this market.

Be careful people.

Does any one have strategies on selling/trimming?  I see stuff like this from the pros like Todem.  It makes sense.  Every f'in stock I pick right now is a winner and I don't know anything.  My mom is texting me $BTC prices. Etc etc.

But I also see dudes posting charts of twitter showing "my biggest losses were the stocks i sold too early" which also makes sense and has been true for me.

If you guys are selling off a little, what % and how are you approaching it?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, bshell27 said:

Time to exit CBBT? 475% gain. 

I don't think their acquisition of PKG is done yet. So it may have some room to run yet.

I sold some already and banked some profits, so free rolling the rest. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, ChiefD said:

I don't think their acquisition of PKG is done yet. So it may have some room to run yet.

I sold some already and banked some profits, so free rolling the rest. 

I am struggling with how much to sell.  Do you just sell back your original investment and let it ride, or take the profits and let the original investment ride?  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, bshell27 said:

I am struggling with how much to sell.  Do you just sell back your original investment and let it ride, or take the profits and let the original investment ride?  

I basically sold enough to cover my initial investment + 100% profit.  So I basically sold enough to double my original investment. 

Holding onto the rest to see what happens. Up 1100% at the moment. :lol:

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, bshell27 said:

I am struggling with how much to sell.  Do you just sell back your original investment and let it ride, or take the profits and let the original investment ride?  

For decisions like this, I recommend getting a magic eight ball.

  • Like 1
  • Laughing 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, bshell27 said:

I am struggling with how much to sell.  Do you just sell back your original investment and let it ride, or take the profits and let the original investment ride?  

I will also add - I am a small bit player in here. 

I only bought 10000 shares at the start and have 8000 left. Trying to learn and build this account slowly. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
  • Create New...