What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Stock Thread (19 Viewers)

That’s an interesting one, I’m in a Vanguard reit and have been in O in the past...how does this one compare?
I was in WPC and O, both of which I liked as recovery plays and diversification away from being too tech heavy. I sold my shares of O on a little pop a while back and added to my WPC position when it went under $69. If I had more $$ to add to it right now, I would. It's not going to be a FLGT or FSLY, but that's not why I own it. 

As it relates to O, neither is likely to have b/s issues in the foreseeable future, it's cheaper, they had better collection rates than O during the pandemic (96-99%), better diversification/less retail exposure, and they have a lot of international exposure. They will become a dividend aristocrat in 2 years. That's not something I really care about, but it will add them to buy lists for both some individuals and some funds. Will I still own it then? Probably, unless it outperforms by a significant margin. The better yield is just gravy. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Clearly some profit taking with 30 minutes or so left today, but I'm pretty happy with the gain. Let's hope tomorrow brings good news.
If it wasn’t for the $50 fee I would have probably sold 25% today, but decided to hold instead.  Anyone with price targets here?

If it wasn’t for the $50 fee I would have probably sold 25% today, but decided to hold instead.  Anyone with price targets here?
Only costs me $5 to trade, I'll probably sell half at $.55, buy more if it drops below .40 again. 

With the $50 fee, how many shares are you buying? It wouldn't make sense to buy or sell less than a few thousand imo.

I'm holding for when the news drops, whether it is tomorrow, Friday or next week. If I had to give a price target, it'd be $2.

Only costs me $5 to trade, I'll probably sell half at $.55, buy more if it drops below .40 again. 

With the $50 fee, how many shares are you buying? It wouldn't make sense to buy or sell less than a few thousand imo.
I also had a $50 fee when bought and when I sell. Got 3000 @.3365 which came out to .353 with the $50 fee.   Will only get out soon if it drops to .30

PLTR my largest holding...but down after averaging up several times.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/2020-election/biden-picks-avril-haines-director-national-intelligence-n1248626

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avril_Haines

Haines has consulted for Palantir Technologies,[34] a data-mining firm accused of assisting the Trump administration with immigrant detention programs,[51] and was an employee of WestExec Advisors,[52] a consulting firm with a secretive client list that includes high-tech start-ups seeking Pentagon contracts.[53] The firm was founded by Antony Blinken, Biden's nominee for Secretary of State, and Michele Flournoy, a former Pentagon adviser.[53]

In late June 2020, shortly after taking on the role of overseeing foreign policy and national security considerations for the Joe Biden 2020 presidential campaign transition team, references to Palantir and other corporations for which Haines had worked were abruptly removed from her fellowship resume, posted on the website of the Brookings Institution.[51]

Just thinking out loud....

So, the market goes in sectors.  It seems, the markets that already had a huge jump are

• EV (tesla, etc) I'm in CCIV but it's a coin flip.  I think F has room
  • Pot stocks.  Just getting started? already up huge.
  • Travel.  MGM up 86% in 6 months.  AAL up 40%
What's up next?

I'm thinking CCL, but I may be early.

Currently in 

1. AVGO
  2. BLDP
  3. CCIV
  4. HAACU
  5. PLTR

Just thinking out loud....

So, the market goes in sectors.  It seems, the markets that already had a huge jump are

• EV (tesla, etc) I'm in CCIV but it's a coin flip.  I think F has room
  • Pot stocks.  Just getting started? already up huge.
  • Travel.  MGM up 86% in 6 months.  AAL up 40%
What's up next?

I'm thinking CCL, but I may be early.

Currently in 

1. AVGO
  2. BLDP
  3. CCIV
  4. HAACU
  5. PLTR
Don’t confuse MGM with only travel. They got caught up in the legalized gambling/online betting sector with PENN and DKNG as well. 

Okay. I have the numbers and am wondering if someone here can figure out how much I am up this year percentage wise.

2 accounts put together.

Amount now:  $23,613.38

Amount end of 2020, start of 2021:  $13,598.31
Transferred $7000 into account(s) : 01/05 $5000. 01/07 $1000. 01/14 $1000.

Thank You

Okay. I have the numbers and am wondering if someone here can figure out how much I am up this year percentage wise.

2 accounts put together.

Amount now:  $23,613.38

Amount end of 2020, start of 2021:  $13,598.31
Transferred $7000 into account(s) : 01/05 $5000. 01/07 $1000. 01/14 $1000.

Thank You
Yeah, this gets tricky

Anybody holding TWM? Saw that a reverse split is in the cards. Took a look and found this from last week.

From a yahoo finance page dated January 8, 2021

This week saw a few issuers making expense ratio changes to their ETFs or splitting shares. Among them was ProShares, which announced splits for a dozen of its funds, effective Jan. 21, 2021.

Those scheduled splits include 2-for-1 forward splits for the ProShares Ultra Health Care ETF (RXL) and the ProShares UltraPro QQQ ETF (TQQQ).

There are also 10 planned reverse splits, which include the following:

ProShares UltraShort MidCap400 ETF (MZZ), 1 for 2

ProShares UltraShort QQQ ETF (QID), 1 for 4

ProShares UltraShort SmallCap600 ETF (SDD), 1 for 2

ProShares UltraShort Utilities ETF (SDP), 1 for 2

ProShares UltraShort Industrials ETF (SIJ), 1 for 2

ProShares UltraShort Financials ETF (SKF), 1 for 2

ProShares UltraPro Short MidCap400 ETF (SMDD), 1 for 2

ProShares UltraPro Short S&P500 ETF (SPXU), 1 for 5

ProShares UltraPro Short Russell2000 ETF (SRTY), 1 for 5

ProShares UltraShort Russell2000 ETF (TWM), 1 for 4

Similarly, effective as of the close of markets today, Jan. 8, Direxion is enacting share splits on four of its funds. They are as follows:

The Direxion Daily Retail Bull 3X Shares (RTL) will undergo a 5-for-1 forward split.

The Direxion Daily Robotics, Artificial Intelligence, & Automation Index Bull 2X Shares (UBOT) will undergo a 5-for-1 forward split.

The Direxion Daily S&P 500 High Beta Bear 3X Shares (HIBS) will undergo a 1-for-20 reverse split.

The Direxion Daily S&P 500 Bear 3X Shares (SPXS) will undergo a 1-for-10 reverse split. 

Expense Ratio Changes

First Trust and ALPS both made some changes to ETF expense ratios. For ALPS, this meant a 10-basis-point reduction in the expense ratio of the ALPS Clean Energy ETF (ACES) from 0.65% to 0.55%, while First Trust changed the fees on eight of its funds, effective Jan. 4, 2021.

Those changes are as follows:

The expense ratio for the First Trust Active Factor Small Cap ETF (AFSM) increased from 0.75% to 0.77%.

The expense ratio for the EquityCompass Risk Manager ETF (ERM) increased from 0.65% to 0.68%.

The expense ratio for the First Trust CEF Income Opportunity ETF (FCEF) decreased from 3.21% to 2.91%.

The expense ratio for the First Trust TCW Opportunistic Fixed Income ETF (FIXD) increased from 0.55% to 0.56%.

The expense ratio for the First Trust Low Duration Strategic Focus ETF (LDSF) decreased from 0.82% to 0.77%.

The expense ratio for the First Trust Municipal CEF Income Opportunity ETF (MCEF) increased from 2.59% to 2.65%.

The expense ratio for the EquityCompass Tactical Risk Manager ETF (TERM) decreased from 0.73% to 0.67%

The expense ratio for the First Trust TCW Unconstrained Plus Bond ETF (UCON) increased from 0.75% to 0.76%.

I’ve got 5,000.  

Any reason for Hive Blockchain HVBTF to be down 18% this morning? 
Bitcoin fell as much as 10% on Thursday after a report from BitMEX Research suggested a critical flaw called "double-spend" occurred in the bitcoin blockchain.

Double-spend is a highly feared scenario where a user is able to spend their same bitcoin more than once. 

The double-spend event has not been confirmed and there have been mixed messages from BitMEX on the particular instance.

Bitcoin fell as much as 10% on Thursday after a report from BitMEX Research suggested a critical flaw called "double-spend" occurred in the bitcoin blockchain.

Double-spend is a highly feared scenario where a user is able to spend their same bitcoin more than once. 

The double-spend event has not been confirmed and there have been mixed messages from BitMEX on the particular instance.
Wrong thread, but this goes along with @General Malaise's point.  If know one's looking then I can spend my monopoly money twice.

$NNOX ripping because I think people are misunderstanding their addition to an ARK-related Israeli Index Fund thinking it's the same as being added to their ETF - could lead to that but it's not what happened.
$NNOX up 12.77% as I type on heavy volume. No idea why other than people thinking ARK is buying in soon, but there's no real proof of that. Not impossible but not definite. Second time I've doubled on this regardless of the reason. If/when FDA approval happens this thing is gonna explode.

What are the pot stocks people are in here, specifically for the US legalization play? I don't know that the Canadian companies interest me much. iirc, somebody was into one because they were big players in CA, which I think is a tough place to get a license? Maybe IL?  @General Malaise

What are the pot stocks people are in here, specifically for the US legalization play? I don't know that the Canadian companies interest me much. iirc, somebody was into one because they were big players in CA, which I think is a tough place to get a license? Maybe IL? 
I'm in Subversive Capital, a SPAC which just completed its merger with TPCO Holdings which is focused on the California market.  And Jay-Z is involved, so it's got that going for it.  GRAMF is the new ticker as of today.

I'm in Subversive Capital, a SPAC which just completed its merger with TPCO Holdings which is focused on the California market.  And Jay-Z is involved, so it's got that going for it.  GRAMF is the new ticker as of today.
Any reason this is an OTC instead of a mainstream exchange?

What are the pot stocks people are in here, specifically for the US legalization play? I don't know that the Canadian companies interest me much. iirc, somebody was into one because they were big players in CA, which I think is a tough place to get a license? Maybe IL?  @General Malaise
Cresco Labs has been good to me so far.  CRLBF.  This one kept popping up in Motley Fool, etc... type articles as a pot stock to watch.  After reading about it a few times I got some at $11.86 on Jan 6.  Currently up 20%.  I am holding it.

GoBirds said:
Where are you guys finding value out there right now? 
I think finding value is extremely difficult right now, but I'll give my thoughts for anyone that wants to take a nap.

I look at my individual stocks and compare them now to the reasons I bought them and I see no pressing reason to sell any of them right now.  I did close one position, MKC, as I made about 60%+ and the multiple on that stock got out of what I felt comfortable being for a spice stock.  When I close a position, I move on completely, so I'm not sure if it went up from where I sold it or not, but I'm happy.  I'm actually near an all time low in cash, with nearly 95% invested right now.  I know, know, know this is stupid and I need to sell something, but the only things I am considering selling would leave me with substantial capital gains and I hate paying tax.  TGT, SBUX and DIS would all be candidates, however, TGT should be a winner with more stimulus checks, SBUX should be a winner with Biden allying with China, and DIS could be a nice winner with a reopening and the stupid multiples given to streaming services, so I am holding.

Where I see value:

-AMZN.  Yeah, I know, but this one is at least 10% undervalued imho even with the recent few days run up.

-WMT.  I own too much already or else I would buy more.  This one to me looks at least 15% undervalued and could be a big winner with more stimulus as well.

-Dividend stocks.  I'm too stupid to pick individual winners here so I go with a few vanguard index dividend funds and I piled in both pretty heavily over the last few months.  IMHO, the TINA trade is going to rotate out of growth eventually as valuations come back to earth.  Retiree's are still going to need income, and there is a boat load of cash uninvested on the sidelines.  I think a lot of people got burnt selling the likes of MLP's last year and rather than piling back in, will forego a few percentages in yield for a safer stock option (be it Verizon, AT&T, XOM, CVX, and so on.....).  To be fair, I've been a yield whore for years now and as I'm winding closer to retirement, I am a-ok owning lots and lots of dividend funds to throw off income.

-GM & F.  I know both have been up big the past month or two, but ffs GM is valued at what, 1/10th of Tesla?  Both are trading at very low multiples, and even a modest bump up can put both up another 15-20% easy this year.  I prefer GM, hi gb, but they burned me a few years ago on a preferred stock when they bankrupted so they never get another dime of my money.  Again, I'm stupid I know this.

Those are my off the cuff thoughts in looking for value, but it's very very difficult to ignore the high flyers as well. I've even dipped into SPAC's and am doing a bunch of calls hoping for a huge payday, come on IPOF I'm looking at you.

I think finding value is extremely difficult right now, but I'll give my thoughts for anyone that wants to take a nap.

I look at my individual stocks and compare them now to the reasons I bought them and I see no pressing reason to sell any of them right now.  I did close one position, MKC, as I made about 60%+ and the multiple on that stock got out of what I felt comfortable being for a spice stock.  When I close a position, I move on completely, so I'm not sure if it went up from where I sold it or not, but I'm happy.  I'm actually near an all time low in cash, with nearly 95% invested right now.  I know, know, know this is stupid and I need to sell something, but the only things I am considering selling would leave me with substantial capital gains and I hate paying tax.  TGT, SBUX and DIS would all be candidates, however, TGT should be a winner with more stimulus checks, SBUX should be a winner with Biden allying with China, and DIS could be a nice winner with a reopening and the stupid multiples given to streaming services, so I am holding.

Where I see value:

-AMZN.  Yeah, I know, but this one is at least 10% undervalued imho even with the recent few days run up.

-WMT.  I own too much already or else I would buy more.  This one to me looks at least 15% undervalued and could be a big winner with more stimulus as well.

-Dividend stocks.  I'm too stupid to pick individual winners here so I go with a few vanguard index dividend funds and I piled in both pretty heavily over the last few months.  IMHO, the TINA trade is going to rotate out of growth eventually as valuations come back to earth.  Retiree's are still going to need income, and there is a boat load of cash uninvested on the sidelines.  I think a lot of people got burnt selling the likes of MLP's last year and rather than piling back in, will forego a few percentages in yield for a safer stock option (be it Verizon, AT&T, XOM, CVX, and so on.....).  To be fair, I've been a yield whore for years now and as I'm winding closer to retirement, I am a-ok owning lots and lots of dividend funds to throw off income.

-GM & F.  I know both have been up big the past month or two, but ffs GM is valued at what, 1/10th of Tesla?  Both are trading at very low multiples, and even a modest bump up can put both up another 15-20% easy this year.  I prefer GM, hi gb, but they burned me a few years ago on a preferred stock when they bankrupted so they never get another dime of my money.  Again, I'm stupid I know this.

Those are my off the cuff thoughts in looking for value, but it's very very difficult to ignore the high flyers as well. I've even dipped into SPAC's and am doing a bunch of calls hoping for a huge payday, come on IPOF I'm looking at you.
Great info, thanks for sharing. Really enjoy getting perspective like this from guys much smarter than I am on stocks. I added 2 shares of AMZN last week and just added some WPC from the tip above and will look into some you mentioned. I do feel like we may be getting caught up in the euphoria but also see people having to chase yield for quite some time. 

many thoughts on GOLD and am I the only sucker in here still holding ? Is it a legit hedge if things pull back?

McBokonon said:
$NNOX up 12.77% as I type on heavy volume. No idea why other than people thinking ARK is buying in soon, but there's no real proof of that. Not impossible but not definite. Second time I've doubled on this regardless of the reason. If/when FDA approval happens this thing is gonna explode.
22% now.  :oldunsure:  Anyone else stay in this with me? I'm really hoping this is an FDA leak. If ARK actually is buying shares, that's fine, too.

Sideshow Bob said:
I honestly never want to own nor even see another pot stock again.  Valens absolutely killed me.  I have a graveyard of pot stocks in my trade history.  So eager I was to dive into these names and load up my PA with companies poised to succeed due to new lenient pot laws, but I got burned like a joint rolled in magnesium.  

Which probably means it's a good time to buy. :bag:

Users who are viewing this thread