What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Le'Veon Bell, FA - 9.6.21 Workout For Baltimore (12 Viewers)

DeAngelo Williams 2015 7 games as starter:
876YFS / 27rec / 8TDs

James Conner in 3 games this year:
342YFS / 15rec / 3TD

Of course Bell is a better back than DW or JC is.  But, ignoring the success that the Steelers have had at RB without Bell in recent history is the weird position to be standing on .
Bingo.  There's a reason why the Steelers didn't feel he's worth what he wants and almost all Steelers fans agree with them.  Doesn't mean we wouldn't want him playing, but not at what it would've cost.

Not like anybody can figure out whats in Bell or his agent's head but...is the feeling that the Steelers winning or losing would prompt an earlier return?

Like if they're 3-1-1 or 4-2-1, he'd be more interested in being a part of that.

Or if they're 2-3-1, his importance will have been underscored and he can play the hero role.

Or is he just Team Le'Veon and nothing else really matters?

Last edited by a moderator:
Not like anybody can figure out whats in Bell or his agent's head but...is the feeling that the Steelers winning or losing would prompt and earlier return?

Like if they're 3-1-1 or 4-2-1, he'd be more interested in being a part of that.

Or if they're 2-3-1, his importance will have beenunderscored and he can play the hero role.

Or is he just Team Le'Veon and nothing else really matters?
It's not about the team or success.  It's about how much he can get paid and how much is guaranteed.  Nothing wrong with that, it's a business, but that's all he cares about and the entire reason for not signing the tender.

Seriously?  A guy has one good game, and that somehow puts him on equal footing with one of the universally recognized top RBs in the game?

Conner's games this year:

31 rush/135 rush yards/2 rush TD/5 rec/ 57 rec yards-GREAT GAME

8 rush/17 rush yards/1 rush TD/5 rec/48 rec yards-BAD GAME

15 rush/ 61 rush yards/0 rush TD/ 5 rec/34 rec yards-AVERAGE GAME  **until the last drive, where Pitt was killing the clock, Conner had 10 rush for 12 yards**

That's just foolish.  Following that premise, Pitt should cut AB, as they'll save $39M against the cap over the next 3 years, and Smith-Shuster is just as good as him (better, even?) since he's had a couple of good games.

SMH :rolleyes:
Bell's first three games last year:

10 rush/32 yards; 3 rec/15 yards

27 rush/87 yards; 4 rec/4 yards

15 rush/61 yards/1 TD; 6 rec 37 yards

matuski said:
A solid backup/passable starter RB.  

Stats are the silliest argument you can make here against Bell.  Conner can't be Bell.  Teams don't respect Conner.  Conner is the reason AB is slumping  - they can double AB and put an LB on Conner.. they can play 2 deep, etc..  The team is worse without Bell.
:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:  453 yards of offense per game

Bell's production was down last season.  He had some monster games but very few long runs.  I think defenses caught on to his "delay and then burst" move a little bit.
Also, how much of this situation is a distraction?  Missing practices, camps, and wanting to get paid before getting injured.  He started out really slow last year and probably would have done the same this year too.

Bell's production was down last season.  He had some monster games but very few long runs.  I think defenses caught on to his "delay and then burst" move a little bit.
He's never been one to give you many long runs. His body composition is, or least was, a lot different then he was in college but I recall the major knock on him entering the league was the he was a plodder and I think there some number getting thrown around a lot the his longest run of his career in college was barely over 40 yards. Something like that, if I'm wrong on that someone please correct me. In his last 27 games which cover his last two seasons he's had one run over 40 yards and just 7 over 20 yards. That's on 582 carries.

So never been a big play guy but last year his YPC took a major nosedive and a friend of mine reminded me a few weeks ago, when I was complaining to him about having taken Bell in some early drafts in June and July, that I had told him late last year I would not draft Bell as a top 3-4 pick next year. Advice I gave and afraid I forgot but on the flip side even a plodding Bell last year was a consistent fantasy force.  But to me, he no doubt looked run down last year and if that's the case I can certainly see why Steelers would not want to ink him to a deal they could not get out of after the 2019 season. For Bell I think he's making a poor financial decision right now missing game checks but maybe he felt he was a bit sluggish last year and might think taking all or most of a year off might do him some good. (and let me say ahead of time I believe wear and tear is real on RB's)

Also, how much of this situation is a distraction?  Missing practices, camps, and wanting to get paid before getting injured.  He started out really slow last year and probably would have done the same this year too.
 He started slow and ended slow. He basically had a huge October last year where in a 4 game stretch he his to 3 rushing games of the year. Only went over 100 yards one other game all year other then those 3. 

He started slow and ended slow. He basically had a huge October last year where in a 4 game stretch he his to 3 rushing games of the year. Only went over 100 yards one other game all year other then those 3. 
That's a really weak take. 

Week 12, 95 yards rushing to go with 12 catches for 88 yards receiving.

Week 13, 76 yards rushing to go with 5 catches for 106 yards and a receiving TD

Week 14, 2 rushing TDs, 9 catches for 77 yards and a receiving TD

Week 15, over 150 combined yards and a rushing TD

Week 16, 97 combined yards and a rushing TD

How great an NFL trade market could their be for Bell at this point? A potential new team still can't sign him to a contract beyond 2018. If Bell wanted to limit his touches, he could still refuse to play more than 6 games no matter what the team on his jersey says. The Steelers could line up a trade to move him, but all Bell has to do is not sign the franchise tender and he would effectively block the trade.

If I am the potential new team, I would have to be very concerned that I would only be getting Bell for 6 games. Some team might figure it could be worth offering a late pick for him (say a 5th round pick) to essentially buy an early compensatory pick to pay 6 weeks of Bell. Is moving from the 5th round to the end of the 3rd / top of the 4th round worth $5 million? I doubt it.

The other matter that could complicate a trade is the trade deadline is 10/30. For Bell to play in 6 games this year to get credit for playing this season (and thus likely avoid getting franchise tagged again next year at the $27 million rate), he would have to suit up for the 11/25 game @ DEN. So a team could have to consummate a trade and not even see Bell for almost a month (assuming he would sign the tender to be traded).

How great an NFL trade market could their be for Bell at this point? A potential new team still can't sign him to a contract beyond 2018. If Bell wanted to limit his touches, he could still refuse to play more than 6 games no matter what the team on his jersey says. The Steelers could line up a trade to move him, but all Bell has to do is not sign the franchise tender and he would effectively block the trade.

If I am the potential new team, I would have to be very concerned that I would only be getting Bell for 6 games. Some team might figure it could be worth offering a late pick for him (say a 5th round pick) to essentially buy an early compensatory pick to pay 6 weeks of Bell. Is moving from the 5th round to the end of the 3rd / top of the 4th round worth $5 million? I doubt it.

The other matter that could complicate a trade is the trade deadline is 10/30. For Bell to play in 6 games this year to get credit for playing this season (and thus likely avoid getting franchise tagged again next year at the $27 million rate), he would have to suit up for the 11/25 game @ DEN. So a team could have to consummate a trade and not even see Bell for almost a month (assuming he would sign the tender to be traded).
Agreed.  Very unlikely he gets traded at this point.  Before July 16 it would have been much easier.

tangfoot said:
That's a really weak take. 

Week 12, 95 yards rushing to go with 12 catches for 88 yards receiving.

Week 13, 76 yards rushing to go with 5 catches for 106 yards and a receiving TD

Week 14, 2 rushing TDs, 9 catches for 77 yards and a receiving TD

Week 15, over 150 combined yards and a rushing TD

Week 16, 97 combined yards and a rushing TD
I said nothing about the catches which is really more volume based and more of a PPR fantasy issue then discussing real life performance.

He averaged just over 3.5 yards a carry the second half of the season and had one 100 yard game. That's not a weak take, that's reality.

I said nothing about the catches which is really more volume based and more of a PPR fantasy issue then discussing real life performance.

He averaged just over 3.5 yards a carry the second half of the season and had one 100 yard game. That's not a weak take, that's reality.
Melvin Gordon had a single 100 yard game and averaged under 3.8 yards per carry in 2017.  Disgusting, and completely replaceable level production.  Oh wait, he also had 52 catches for 445 yards and 12 total TDs...

My point is that you're ignoring half or more of Bell's value to his team and not accounting for the massive TD production.  Sure, go ahead and say that the back half of his season was a disaster, but that team rode into the playoffs on his back and he single-handedly won innumerable fantasy championships with that suck-### finish to his season.

Melvin Gordon had a single 100 yard game and averaged under 3.8 yards per carry in 2017.  Disgusting, and completely replaceable level production.

My point is that you're ignoring half or more of Bell's value to his team and not accounting for the massive TD production.  Sure, go ahead and say that the back half of his season was a disaster, but that team rode into the playoffs on his back and he single-handedly won innumerable fantasy championships with that suck-### finish to his season.
Im not talking about fantasy. Before going off half cocked try and read what I wrote. I had said earlier that a plodding Bell was still a fantasy force.

Im not talking about fantasy. Before going off half cocked try and read what I wrote. I had said earlier that a plodding Bell was still a fantasy force.
I addressed his NFL value prior to mentioning anything to do with fantasy.  Try to keep up, although I do realize that several lines of text may be difficult to read all in one sitting.

Donkey Derp said:
Bell's first three games last year:

10 rush/32 yards; 3 rec/15 yards

27 rush/87 yards; 4 rec/4 yards

15 rush/61 yards/1 TD; 6 rec 37 yards
Bell’s last 3 games last year:  

13 rush, 48 yards, 9 rec, 77 yards, 3 TDs

24 rush, 117 yards, 5 rec, 48 yards, 1 TD

14 rush, 69 yards, 5 rec, 28 yards, 1 TD

So, how many defensive helpers have the Steelers signed with their additional 2.7m from these first three weeks after which they are 1-1-1 while giving up 90 points?
How many impact players do think are just sitting out there, unsigned right now?

It'll come in handy next year though.

Bell’s last 3 games last year:  

13 rush, 48 yards, 9 rec, 77 yards, 3 TDs

24 rush, 117 yards, 5 rec, 48 yards, 1 TD

14 rush, 69 yards, 5 rec, 28 yards, 1 TD
:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:  Bell held out before the 2017 season, held out before the 2018 season, Conner has outperformed him to start the season and your response is some random ### sample.

So, how many defensive helpers have the Steelers signed with their additional 2.7m from these first three weeks after which they are 1-1-1 while giving up 90 points?
I don't believe things work that way as far as the cap goes. PIT still has to hold the entire $14,544,000 as a placeholder for Bell as long as he is tagged. They don't get any cap relief as long as he is tagged. I believe that the outcomes are:

1) if they remove the franchise tag, they will get an instant credit for the $14.5 million to their salary cap total for this season.
2) If he eventually signs for the same weekly rate ($855,00 per week) and gets paid for the number of weeks he is available this year (the bye week counts as a week). I believe the total for whatever weeks he was not paid for would be credited to next year's salary cap.
3) If PIT works out a trade, I am not sure what would happen. I believe (although am not entirely sure) that the new team would take a cap hit of $855,000 for each week remaining in the season at the point they acquired him. If the Steelers never paid him anything this year, I believe they would get the $14.5 million credit added to next year's cap (again, not as sure about this one). I am not sure how the franchise tender agreement reads, as it normally guarantees the player the full amount of the franchise tag. Not sure if that makes the pay for the contract a bonus (since it is immediately guaranteed) or a salary. There is a difference, as the team making the trade has to eat the salary cap hit on unpaid bonus money while the acquiring team usually has to pick up the tab on money that has not been paid out yet.

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:  Bell held out before the 2017 season, held out before the 2018 season, Conner has outperformed him to start the season and your response is some random ### sample.
YOU randomly picked 3 games (conveniently Conners best 3 games) to try to back up a weak argument that he is the same caliber player as a 2-time All-Pro, 3-time 1800+YFS RB.   :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:  

Good Day.

Bell's first three career starts:

51/184/2; 8/55

Conner's first three career starts:

54/213/3; 15/139

Somehow all of the clueless trolls have definitively figured out that Bell is better than Conner (especially at a fraction of the price tag)

What other sample of games should we use for Conner? :mellow:  
It doesn’t matter; add all of his career touches up, pretend they occurred on 1 game, it won’t matter.  He IS NOT the same caliber RB as Bell.  Doesn’t mean he is bad, but Bell is elite.  Trying to pretend he is on the same level as Bell, because he had 1 great game & 2 average ones, and Bell had 3 average games to start last year is just silly.

If you want to pretend that Conner is as good as Bell, go right ahead, but that’s what yiu’ll be doing: pretending.

Bell's first three career starts:

51/184/2; 8/55

Conner's first three career starts:

54/213/3; 15/139

Somehow all of the clueless trolls have definitively figured out that Conner is better than Bell (especially at a fraction of the price tag)
Are these clueless trolls the same people that have made Bell a 2-time first team All-Pro, and a 2nd team All-Pro a 3rd year?

Not questioning Bell's talent, he is a top tier RB, but Pitt does feel like a system that relies on a bellcow approach, and as long as that bellcow is serviceable, they'll be fine on offense. 

Watching their offense play at these levels the first few weeks, it makes sense not wanting to tie up so much cap space at RB. 

Conner is now an important part of my team, as he prob is to a lot of posters in this thread, as it has become a de facto Bell (and Conner) thread, for now. Trying to figure out how I handicap this for the ROS. 

Not questioning Bell's talent, he is a top tier RB, but Pitt does feel like a system that relies on a bellcow approach, and as long as that bellcow is serviceable, they'll be fine on offense. 

Watching their offense play at these levels the first few weeks, it makes sense not wanting to tie up so much cap space at RB. 

Conner is now an important part of my team, as he prob is to a lot of posters in this thread, as it has become a de facto Bell (and Conner) thread, for now. Trying to figure out how I handicap this for the ROS. 
I don’t see a trade happening.  Pitt would have to get a deal are worked out, THEN get Bell to agree to sign prior to the trade deadline (week 8, I think?).  If there’s nothing in it for Bell (i.e.-the entire $14.5M, not just the pro-rated amount), I don’t see why he’d sign.  I also don’t see why he wouldn’t sign by week 10.

Basically it all depends, IMO, on whether you think the Steelers will refuse to play Bell when he signs.

:lmao:  I've never seen a FBG mod tell someone to leave this board, but it makes more and more sense every time you post.
Whatever, guy.

Bell is a 2-time All Pro RB (the second time being just last year, so it’s not like we’re talking about Emmitt in Arizona here), while Conner has one great game.  You’re trying to use this as evidence that Conner is as good as Bell, but you are calling others trolls and clueless? OK.

Zilch although 30 a game against the high powered offenses is not starting to seem quite that bad.  Wasn't last night 2 of the better D's in the league?

I love all the posts trying to sort of kind of imply Conner is better than Bell.  :lol:

People are so salty their magic football player is sitting out, yet they can't bring themselves to actually say it - because they know how stupid that would be.

I love all the posts trying to sort of kind of imply Conner is better than Bell.  :lol:

People are so salty their magic football player is sitting out, yet they can't bring themselves to actually say it - because they know how stupid that would be.
:mellow: I drafted Conner several rounds later than a guy who currently has ZERO real life or fantasy production in 2018.  

:lmao:

Users who are viewing this thread