What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Le'Veon Bell, FA - 9.6.21 Workout For Baltimore (12 Viewers)

Maybe.  Maybe for Bell, holding out to stay healthy and protect his FA opportunity makes it his best year.
But he put it in context of the fans:

Le'Veon Bell✔@LeVeonBell

to all my Steeler fans, my desire always has been to retire a Steeler...both sides worked extremely hard today to make that happen, but the NFL is a hard business at times...to the fans that had hope, I’m sorry we let youu down but trust me, 2018 will be my best season to date...
That doesn't fit with what you are describing at all. 

And here he described that he would be ready to roll week one:

Last month, Bell spoke with ESPN's Jeremy Fowler about how his offseason has been going. While he hasn't been at the Steelers' voluntary workout sessions, Bell said that he is in shape and will be ready to roll when the Steelers face the Browns in Week 1 of the regular season. 
Sorry, but this paints a vastly different picture

If Conner has 3 more games in a row with over 100 yards rushing, I wouldn't be surprised if Bell came back. Not because he's worried about losing his job or value, but because if the rushing attack is going that well he could feasibly increase his value and put up monster stats.  But, that's just a guess. I'm no "Source".
The situation is impossible to handicap but my guess is he remains committed to staying away until he "has to" report. What Conner is doing is out of his hands now and he can't know how the Steelers will react to his return. I think it runs the spectrum from "getting his job back" to "have a seat over there" to anything in between...

But he put it in context of the fans:

That doesn't fit with what you are describing at all. 

And here he described that he would be ready to roll week one:

Sorry, but this paints a vastly different picture
Did you read either of the links you posted?  No where in there did Bell say or suggest that he'd report week 1; both of those takes were inferred by the authors. 

The first one where you said "but he put it in context of the fans," all he said was it would be "my best season to date;" that quote is EXACTLY what I described.  If he stays healthy and accrues enough games to get his big money contract it will be HIS best season to date.

The second one where you said "he described that he would be ready to roll week one," he did no such thing.  This is the quote that the author of that article somehow misinterpreted to "Bell will be ready to roll in week one:"

“I just wanna see a better me," said Bell, who tallied 1,944 all-purpose yards last year for the 13-3 Steelers. "I think, the way I’ve been training, the way I’ve been carrying myself off the field, on the field, diet wise, I think it’s been a good year for me in 2018."
Explain to me how that quote can be realistically interpreted to mean "i will be there week one?"  It can't. 

So, again, Bell never said (at least no where that has been printed or that there is video/audio of that I can find) that he'd be there week 1.  Everyone assumed that (because he did it last year), people reported it (sports writers, his teammates, people on the internet), etc; then people got pissed because he didn't do what THEY assumed he was going to do.

The truth is that Bell may have intended to do the same thing as last year, then he changed his mind.  But the fact remains that he never said he was going to report by week 1, despite the false reports to the contrary.

The first one where you said "but he put it in context of the fans," all he said was it would be "my best season to date;" that quote is EXACTLY what I described.  If he stays healthy and accrues enough games to get his big money contract it will be HIS best season to date.
Uh, the start of the tweet was "TO ALL MY STEELER FANS." So to Leveon Bell, the Steeler fans want to see him save the wear and tear on his body? You can keep trying to twist this to fit your narrative, but it will never, ever fit. 

Uh, the start of the tweet was "TO ALL MY STEELER FANS." So to Leveon Bell, the Steeler fans want to see him save the wear and tear on his body? You can keep trying to twist this to fit your narrative, but it will never, ever fit. 
Uh, yeah because he is addressing the fans, but the tweet also says "MY BEST SEASON."  Not OUR best season, not YOUR best season, MY best season.  You can keep pretending he said something he didn't, but he never, ever did.

ETA-that being said, I've already said that Bell might have intended to report by now (I don't know that, and neither do you) then changed his mind.  That doesn't change the fact that he never promised/stated he'd be there by labor day (or any specific date).

Last edited by a moderator:
Uh, yeah because he is addressing the fans, but the tweet also says "MY BEST SEASON."  Not OUR best season, not YOUR best season, MY best season.  You can keep pretending he said something he didn't, but he never, ever did.

ETA-that being said, I've already said that Bell might have intended to report by now (I don't know that, and neither do you) then changed his mind.  That doesn't change the fact that he never promised/stated he'd be there by labor day (or any specific date).
So let me get this straight, what you're saying is that Bell, was vague in what he tweeted and what he really intended to say was, "To all my Steeler fans, I want to say, don't worry. This will be my best year ever in that I won't report till after week 9 to keep your beloved team from using me too much so that I can get the biggest possible contract in 2019 with what will be likely another team, so hang onto your hats. It's going to be an amazing 6 games."

Got it... Thanks for interpreting that tweet for me. That whole limit on characters makes it so hard to judge what people are really trying to say. 

So let me get this straight, what you're saying is that Bell, was vague in what he tweeted and what he really intended to say was, "To all my Steeler fans, I want to say, don't worry. This will be my best year ever in that I won't report till after week 9 to keep your beloved team from using me too much so that I can get the biggest possible contract in 2019 with what will be likely another team, so hang onto your hats. It's going to be an amazing 6 games."

Got it... Thanks for interpreting that tweet for me. That whole limit on characters makes it so hard to judge what people are really trying to say. 
No, what I'm telling you is exactly what I've been saying:  Bell never said "I'll be there on labor day," or "I'll be there by week one," or "I'll be there by week 10."  He's never publicly said when/if he'll report. 

There were reports that he'd be there by labor day, there were reports that he'd be there that wednesday, there were reports that he'd be there by Saturday, there are reports that he'll be there sometime in September, there are reports that he'll wait till week 10.  Bell hasn't said any of this. 

YOU tried to put words in Bell's mouth (his tweet) by interpreting what he meant.  I've freely said, TWICE, that he might have intended to show and changed his mind, but the fact is he never once said when/if he'll report.  You inferred that.

But that doesn't matter.  You want to believe Bell promised to be there, you go right ahead and believe that.  It doesn't change anything-he's not there, and despite what is being reported, what you want to infer, what Pouncey wants to guarantee, what Schefter wants to tweet, we don't know when he will be there.

He's not doing this to become a restricted FA.  He'll report.
Exactly. 

IMO he’s taking this opportunity for a mid-career “sabbatical” of sorts. I see no way he doesn’t come back in time for his 6 games to go UFA. 
I would guess if Conner keeps getting it done that he repeatsprior to the NFL trade deadline - and PIT sends him somewhere contingent on a deal.

Buckna said:
Been posted before, but here are some of the teams with projected big Cap numbers per Sportrac (I left out teams like Dal & Ari for example):

Colts - 122.7M

Jets - 105M

Texans - 90M

Bills - 90M

Browns - 77M

Seahawks - 71M

Raiders - 62.5M

Bengals - 62M

49ers - 61.5M

Lions - 47M

GB - 38M

Balt - 36.8M (and can save 10M more by moving on from Flacco)

Edit: Colts, Texans, 49ers all could be legit contenders with the right pieces and have a need at RB. If Bell goes to the Jets or Bills, well, he definitely was all about the money and that's all.
Who has money this year?

Bayhawks said:
Did you read either of the links you posted?  No where in there did Bell say or suggest that he'd report week 1; both of those takes were inferred by the authors. 

The second one where you said "he described that he would be ready to roll week one," he did no such thing.  This is the quote that the author of that article somehow misinterpreted to "Bell will be ready to roll in week one:"

Explain to me how that quote can be realistically interpreted to mean "i will be there week one?"  It can't. 

So, again, Bell never said (at least no where that has been printed or that there is video/audio of that I can find) that he'd be there week 1.  Everyone assumed that (because he did it last year), people reported it (sports writers, his teammates, people on the internet), etc; then people got pissed because he didn't do what THEY assumed he was going to do.

The truth is that Bell may have intended to do the same thing as last year, then he changed his mind.  But the fact remains that he never said he was going to report by week 1, despite the false reports to the contrary.
I truly believe you must be related to bell. Because everyone else on earth realizes he and his agent might be the 2 dumbest people in existence.  Conner proving maybe, just maybe you don't need to pay a 2 time suspended moron 17 million a year with 30 guaranteed.

I truly believe you must be related to bell. Because everyone else on earth realizes he and his agent might be the 2 dumbest people in existence.  Conner proving maybe, just maybe you don't need to pay a 2 time suspended moron 17 million a year with 30 guaranteed.
Interesting take on the situation; seeing how they scored 21 points (with 10 extra minutes) & couldn’t beat a team that didn’t win a game last year.

I mean, I guess they showed what you think they showed; if you’re OK with them being as good as the worst team in the NFL last year.? 

ETA-And if I was related to Bell, I’d be advising him to report, sign the tag, & play out the year.  Just because I’m able to be objective about what’s happening, don’t pretend he said things he didn’t & don’t look at the situation from a biased yinzer-bred mentality doesn’t mean I think he’s handling the situation the right way.

Last edited by a moderator:
Probably because I am a Bell owner and a pessimist I keep thinking this:

Bell is about to become Mike Wallace and Conner is about to become Antonio Brown.  

Could be totally wrong here since I never seen Conner play.  

TheFanatic said:
So when Bell tweets (paraphrasing) " To all my Steeler fans, sorry we couldn't work this out but the NFL is a business", what you hear is "i'll be there week 1".

Yes, agree, bell would have found a way to stop big ben from throwing 3 interceptions and losing 2 fumbles
Even with Big Ben playing awful they had that game all clinched and locked up until Conner fumbled it away in the 4th. That game was done and over. That costly fumble deep in their own territory was the only thing that could have gotten Cleveland back in it. 

Even with Big Ben playing awful they had that game all clinched and locked up until Conner fumbled it away in the 4th. That game was done and over. That costly fumble deep in their own territory was the only thing that could have gotten Cleveland back in it. 
Totally get it, what's the coaches take?

Godsbrother said:
I am pretty sure that Bell and his agent been all over the place since the end of the 2017 season.   His agent definitely said he would report by week 1 "barring something exceptional" and there were reports when training camp started that Bell had told several of his offensive lineman he would sign on labor day weekend.

Then again Bell said back in January that he might hold out or even retire if he was franchised so I agree with TheFantatic, I don't think anyone knows when Bell will report.
Yea he said that and when he gave his interview last week he did in fact say "something exceptional" happened.   I never heard the whole interview and not sure he got pressed on the "something exceptional" but based based on what some others are saying it's Mack forcing a trade and extension. I just don't understand how Bell that thinks that relates to him since he can't sign an extension. But for sure Bell's camp switched gears from the position they held in July after contract talks ceased, really no doubt about that.

jtp1982 said:
Am I the only person that thinks it’s strange when the Steelers tie a team that hasn’t won a game since Christmas 2016 and the consensus media conclusion is they don’t need Bell anyway?
Their offense only scored 14 points last year in Cleveland.  Barely beat that winless team by three thanks to an early blocked punt TD.  Bell smashed for a whopping 13 touches for 47 yards.  

That play was big, but one play never defines a game.  The Steelers overcame that fumble (and the 5 additional Ben turnovers) to put Boswell in position to win the game but he missed the FG in OT.  IT'S BOSWELL'S FAULT!!!11!!1! :lmao:  

jtp1982 said:
Am I the only person that thinks it’s strange when the Steelers tie a team that hasn’t won a game since Christmas 2016 and the consensus media conclusion is they don’t need Bell anyway?
No.  With Bell, Pitt wins.  Everyone is too focused on Conner's stat line, and not that defenses will play different and the offense has more play options, with Bell on the field.  

No.  With Bell, Pitt wins.  Everyone is too focused on Conner's stat line, and not that defenses will play different and the offense has more play options, with Bell on the field.  
I watched game pass some; looked like Cleveland was playing a decent amount of two-deep coverage, shaded towards AB.  Without comparing that film to previous Cleveland games, it’s hard to say if Cle has done the same thing in the past, but it sure seemed like they were paying more attention to Brown than to Conner.  It’s an assumption, but I think a safe one, that they’d have paid Bell more respect & that would’ve opened things up for Brown.

Obviously, we don't know when Bell will report. But I believe HE knows when he will. As in, he's already decided the week and day of the week he's coming in. He just won't say. 

My GUESS is that it won't be week 10, but some time before where he can reasonably save wear on his tires but pick up a couple extra game checks than waiting would provide. Factoring in the time it would take to get prepared for a game and a likely time-share (which he'd prefer), I think he can report after week 6 and feel good about the money forfeited and not getting run into the ground.

I think he can report after week 6 and feel good about the money forfeited and not getting run into the ground.
see I don't get that, I just don't

that would be close to $5,000,000 forfeited so he wouldn't get an additional 150 touches? I don't believe with Conner they'd have touched him 400 and even when he does sign, will they play him ? bench him? how will his teammates work with him? coaches?

bad all around deal especially for the other PIT players and fans

that would be close to $5,000,000 forfeited so he wouldn't get an additional 150 touches? I don't believe with Conner they'd have touched him 400 and even when he does sign, will they play him ? bench him? how will his teammates work with him? coaches?

Bell doesn't care about the players and nobody cares about the fans. It's a business and they know fans will be there.

He can leverage the holdout as him being worth more at 27 because he "basically played half a year" in 2018. So he can prove he's still Bell, he saves the wear and tear and pockets two or three million more by reporting earlier. 

He's probably convinced that the $5 million will come back to him in the long-term deal. And if he had reported on time, why wouldn't they run him 400 times? Barring injury, Conner would never get the chance to carry the load himself. A few carries here or there, sure. But if its your last year with a special talent, you use it. 

Bell doesn't care about the players and nobody cares about the fans. It's a business and they know fans will be there.

He can leverage the holdout as him being worth more at 27 because he "basically played half a year" in 2018. So he can prove he's still Bell, he saves the wear and tear and pockets two or three million more by reporting earlier. 

He's probably convinced that the $5 million will come back to him in the long-term deal. And if he had reported on time, why wouldn't they run him 400 times? Barring injury, Conner would never get the chance to carry the load himself. A few carries here or there, sure. But if its your last year with a special talent, you use it. 
It's not about getting back $5 million....it's about getting to next season intact. 

I think it's more likely he never plays another down for the Steelers than he comeback before Week 10. 

My guess is he signs week 10 and if Conners and Steelers are doing well...Bell never plays a down. If Conners blows/injured or Steelers losing they'll run him into the ground.

DeAngelo Williams absoulety killed it when Bell was suspended before and as soon as Bell came back. Williams went 4, 1, 3 missed game 1 missed 5 games 0, 0 touches until week 17 when Bell sat. 

If Bell reported Conner would have never seen the field. 

OMG why would the Steelers ever put this bozo on the field.  Did none of you read his idiot agents comments? He is not going to put out any kind of effort.  Screw this this clown, and if any of you believe he will give full effort,  you are dumber than his agent.

DeAngelo Williams absoulety killed it when Bell was suspended before and as soon as Bell came back. Williams went 4, 1, 3 missed game 1 missed 5 games 0, 0 touches until week 17 when Bell sat. 

If Bell reported Conner would have never seen the field. 
Bell doesn't want the touches, though. Seems like his priority is preserving himself for the next contract, so I think this year may be a bit different in that he may actually welcome a RBBC.

Bell doesn't want the touches, though. Seems like his priority is preserving himself for the next contract, so I think this year may be a bit different in that he may actually welcome a RBBC.
True. I still think the Steelers would run him until his legs fall off. 

I hope this moron sits until week 10, loses 10 million dollars, then they bury his ### on the bench. Then he signs  with a bottom dweller (which he will) and is never heard from again.

Didn't see this posted:  https://triblive.com/sports/columnists/timbenz/breakfastwithbenz/14071803-74/did-steelers-leveon-bell-change-comeback-plan-after-teammates-comments

Among the topics discussed, MJD says Bell wasn't happy that his teammates talked about his contract publicly, but he was still rooting for them Sunday in the season-opener against the Browns.

Jones-Drew also said that Bell is happy for James Conner, but that Bell should feel justified in staying away from the team because of it. His thinking is that if Conner got 31 carries, how many more than that would've been given to Bell?

More importantly, Jones-Drew said that Bell had a return strategy in place that may have been impacted by his teammates publicly commenting about his contractual status.

"I don't know when he comes back," Jones-Drew said. "He had a plan. He told me, but I will never say it.

"I knew. But then I didn't know because all this stuff came out after the players said (what they did about his contract)."

At one point, Bell was described as "livid" over that development by Jones-Drew. Later on, though, the former Jaguar says Bell rationalized away that emotion by stating his teammates just didn't understand the situation.

MJD also said Bell is working out every day and staying in shape.

Users who are viewing this thread